Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran

Got an AT&T upgrade available? Use it now while it's still worth anything.

I know, I been away awhile. Site looks.. Different... anyways.........

AT&T removing unlimited data plan option for new contracts as of June 7th. The day of the expected iPhone 4 unveiling. Gone will be the $30 unlimited plan in favor of a 2 tier data plan.
    (iPads ordered before June 7th but recieved after still retain the ability to sign up for the old unlimited plan)

$15=200mb with an extra $15 for every 200mb after the initial amount
    OR
    $25=2gb wth $10 for every 1gb over the intial 2gb.
    ALSO
    an additional $20 tethering fee just for the ability to tether your phone......

If you have an upgrade available, use it NOW (litteraly, NOW!!!) while you are still able to recieve the unlimited data plan...........

Sucks. I've been holding onto my extension waiting for hTC to unveil their AT&T phone. Didn't want to lose my unlimited plan tho so I used it on a Pre Plus that I don't even want and won't even use. Might aswell use it now and get a free phone rather then never use it and let it go to waste right? Unlocked and unsubsidized phones from now on for me. Not that I didn't already buy them all the time... I always sell my contract phone for some reason..... LMAO

http://phandroid.com/2010/06/02/att-...ed-disappears/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/19788..._backlash.html
    many other links aavilable. to lazy to post em ALL XD
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-06-2010 at 11:43.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios

Re: Got an AT&T upgrade available? Use it now while it's still worth anything.

I looked and I am one of the data hogs they are always talking about... 3.6 gb in the last 26 days. The new plan would cost more money unless I decide to stop streaming music all day at work. I have another year before I have to worry about it.

The iPad changes are suspect. They couldn't mention these changes a month ago when people were shelling out an extra $130 for the 3G version? Also, the tethering charges seem too high considering you will still get hit with the data usage.

Veteran

If the iPad was ordered before the 7th, those users have nothing to worry about. It's the people who place their order on or after the 7th that are screwed on the data charges.

Worst part about the tethering charge, they could've atleast givin you an extra 1GB or 2 for the 20 upcharge. You know?

What worries me MOST? How does this effect family plans? Think of how much of a bill you would run up spliting 2GB up between Mom, Dad, Son and Daughter................ That 2GB isn't gonna last very long thats for sure and it's an extra $10 spot for every GB after that...............

I know for a fact that I'm one of the aforementioned data hogs.
    I used 9.6gb in May and 11.1 gb in April alone. Their new tiered plan would break me. LMAO. I won't ever be extending my contract now. I'll stay grandfathered in with my unlimited plan. =P Why in the world would I pay $35 for 3gb when I get unlimited for 30$.? Lol

I find it funny that they say they have opted for this tiered system order to make it more accessible to more people. How? By making it cost MORE?
    Good one ATT, good one....

I'm just really upset that hTC hasn't announced their phone yet and now it doesn't even matter anymore because of this. Guess i'll prob be getting the Desire from TELUS when it drops or hold out to see if hTC opts to put the new 1.2Ghz duocore snapdragon into an entirely new model.
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-06-2010 at 15:16.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios

If you are using ten gigs a month, they could kick you off anyway. Unlimited has never really meant unlimited...for any of the major providers.

The unlimited for the iPad has to be continuous. If you break away for a month, you lose the unlimited. One of the main selling points for the 3G version is that you could get a month unlimited at a time, so you did not have to have a contract. I would like to know how many iPad 3G owners are staying under 2gb. I would guess the percentage is much smaller than iphone users.
    Last edited by uofmtiger; 06-06-2010 at 16:11.

Veteran

Actually, no. They can't kick me for using over 10Gb.

I've had the same voice/data contract for many many years now. Looong before smartphones became the 'IN" thing to have and the terms and conditions were changed.
    Unlmited at one point in time meant exactly that. Unlimited. Then gradually smartphones started to become more and more popular and the terms were changed due to the increased use and popularity.

Yes, many unlimited plans have a 5Gb cap now, but my unlimited plan (aswell as afew others I know) have no cap and after my extension I still don't. Took some time over the phone and abit of a hassle, but def worth the trouble. I've the same exact plan I've had for years now.
    $80 unlimited data&text/350min voice plan. No cap. They did however add rollover for me tho. Never had that before. Never needed it before and doubt I really need it now, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth? lol
    I'm a valued customer.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ta_at_2gb.html
    I'm not sure how they plan on having it work with people with iPads pre 6/7, but as of 6/7 they are capped @2Gb awell.

I find it extremely funny how an extra 1GB cost $10 under DataPro Tier and extra 200mb cost $15 under the DataPlus Tier. That just sooo doesn't sound right AT ALL. Should be like say, $5 for every 200mb over I think honestly.
    LMAO
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-06-2010 at 17:16.

Dedicated Member

The iPhone does not have a 5GB, as far as I know. However, the Terms Of Service that supposedly "applies to all customers" says:

"Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies"

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    The iPhone does not have a 5GB, as far as I know. However, the Terms Of Service that supposedly "applies to all customers" says:

"Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage and (ii) otherwise protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows. You may not send solicitations to AT&T's wireless subscribers without their consent. You may not use the Services other than as intended by AT&T and applicable law. Plans are for individual, non-commercial use only and are not for resale. AT&T may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with AT&T's terms, conditions, or policies"
    I don't have an iPhone, never did. You would be suprised at how the wording in the terms of service has changed over the years. No point in arguing. I know what I signed as I hope most people do before signing any legaly bindng contract.

I go over 8gb/month on a consistant basis. Have for long before the original iPhone and I will for after the iPhone 4 and it's replacements.

I'm not here to argue my contract, your or anyone elses nor what qualifies as excessive usage. Just here to give a heads up to AT&T customers on PSU that may not have known about recent changes to AT&Ts Data plan. Give them a chance to use their upgrades while it's still worth using. That's all.

[edited]
    uhh, times up. When I said now, I meant NOW!!
    If you don't have an unlimted data plan now, might aswell forget about it.
    There is no spoon........
    Last edited by faaeng; 06-07-2010 at 06:00.

Thread Information