Master Guru

How Developers See The PlayStation Move!

How Developers See The PlayStation Move

Seeing the tools developers use to create games on the PlayStation Move could be the key to understanding the device's full potential. Move research and development lead Dr. Richard Marks walks us through the tools of the trade.
    While we've barely scratched the surface in terms of what the PlayStation Move motion controller is capable of, Dr. Marks' presentation at E3 2010 surely gave us some ideas. During the course of a half hour, Marks showed off several technical demos straight out of the developers' toolkit; simple little tools that open up a world of possibilities.

Tools like this simple shoot demo. A point of light appears on the screen as your crosshairs, and all you have to do is move the Move to the appropriate location and click the button. Bang, the target is dead. It's a primitive application, but Marks tells us, "This is what we give them, and they give us SOCOM 4."

Some of the demos are deceptively simple. Take the paint demo, seen above. All it does it use the Move controller to allow Marks to write on the screen. From this, developers can simply stick with the painting mechanic, or use it for more complex actions, such as casting spells or solving puzzles.
    Then things got really impressive.

The frame tool allows developers to generate a skeletal frame around the player's image in the camera. With the push of a button, Mark's on-screen body was covered with a framework that moved as he moved. Using button combinations he could make it bigger and smaller, fat or thin.

Adding walls and a floor, Marks was soon navigating a primitive 3D environment, his image replaced with the frame, reacting as he moved with fluid grace.
    This tool was used to animate the player's avatar in The Fight.

Just as impressive is the dummy tool, which spawns, as you'd expect, a wooden dummy. Using the Move, Marks walks us through manipulating the dummy, bumping its limbs and making its body sway. The tool gives developers a better idea of the precision interactions possible with the technology, making actions like sword fighting or the mini-games in Sports Champion much more realistic.

In the sparks demo, two Move controllers are used, with a shower of sparks arcing between them. It's a gorgeous effect, though I'm not sure what the practical applications might be.

Lighting and shadows were highlighted in the shadow demo, later used to show off the 3D effects in move. The move is used as a light source, playing across an octopus-like creature as the angle changes.

Nothing says building quite like LEGO blocks.

Carve is perhaps the most impressive tool, though less likely to be utilized by end-users. Using two Moves, a 3D object is manipulated, stretched, and trimmed, bits coming off in long strips like wood shavings from a branch. Skilled Move users could easily use the tool to create complex, lifelike shapes.
    At the end of the presentation, Marks and crew pass around a couple of pairs of 3D glasses, a seeming requirement for E3 presentations this year, and while the purple octopus does seem to be reaching out from the screen, no visual gimmick can rival the excitement generated by these simple little technical demos.
    If developers feel as excited as I do after seeing these tools in action, we could be in for some truly amazing Move games this fall and beyond.

Send an email to Michael Fahey, the author of this post, at fahey@kotaku.com.

Superior Member
    I am glad that someone put this post up because either I am blind or just dumb. I don't see what the big deal is with these motion controls. These things would be sick outside of gaming for general used or design or something along those lines but for actual gaming. I am not seeing it. I have yet to see a cool game for the Move and Kinect makes me laugh with its flopping around and fake super happy families. However Kinects Star Wars demo did look ok but the Forza 3 thing was no big deal since the samething was practically shown at last years E3. I was hoping to see different Move peripherals like guns or something.

Like I said, I am not seeing it or maybe I am just expecting too much too soon.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Guymelif View Post
    I am glad that someone put this post up because either I am blind or just dumb. I don't see what the big deal is with these motion controls. These things would be sick outside of gaming for general used or design or something along those lines but for actual gaming. I am not seeing it. I have yet to see a cool game for the Move and Kinect makes me laugh with its flopping around and fake super happy families. However Kinects Star Wars demo did look ok but the Forza 3 thing was no big deal since the samething was practically shown at last years E3. I was hoping to see different Move peripherals like guns or something.

Like I said, I am not seeing it or maybe I am just expecting too much too soon.

Edit: what do you mean you was hoping to see a Move Gun peripheral?

they already have one
    Last edited by ONQ; 06-22-2010 at 05:13.

Superior Member
    Ok, that is a game I would suck at. If your gonna play quirky games like that then I guess I can see the point of motion controls.

Superior Member
    That gun adapter looks pretty sweet!!!.
    Hopefully it wont be a stupid price (sony adapters usually are)
    If they have House Of The Dead or similar gun type games.

Count me in 100%

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Virus View Post
    That gun adapter looks pretty sweet!!!.
    Hopefully it wont be a stupid price (sony adapters usually are)
    If they have House Of The Dead or similar gun type games.

Count me in 100%
    it's $19

Veteran
    You didn't like: Socom 4, The Fight, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2, Sorcery, Tiger Woods, the Sports Champions compliation (Gladiator Duel looks fun as hell not to mention all the other stuff it comes with), Time Crisis: Razing Storm (there ya go indigo virus, it's 3 games in one too and has online play), etc.?

Sorry about your luck.
    Last edited by edward_moffet; 06-23-2010 at 22:03.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    You didn't like: Socom 4, The Fight, Killzone 3, Little Big Planet 2, Sorcery, Tiger Woods, the Sports Champions compliation (Gladiator Duel looks fun as hell not to mention all the other stuff it comes with), Time Crisis: Razing Storm (there ya go indigo virus, it's 3 games in one too and has online play), etc.?

Sorry about your luck.

Was that all a reply to me?.
    If so............
    Time Crisis definitely looks fun but I want more games like that and House Of The Dead and even Resident Evil.

Tiger Woods.......... Theres a golf course near mine I would much rather enjoy,plus it get's me and away from the missus for a bit

The Fight.............see plenty of that on weekend's after clubs and pub's kick out

And watched the Socom 4 vid's but I would much rather carry on using the
    DS3 ,and I also imagine it would play the same as Killzone 4 would.

If that wasn't a reply to me........................um yeah look into hypnotoad's eyes and agree with eeeeeeeeeeverything I say! lol

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    I want to play some time crisis it will be awesome..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Virus View Post
    Was that all a reply to me?.
    If so............
    Time Crisis definitely looks fun but I want more games like that and House Of The Dead and even Resident Evil.

Tiger Woods.......... Theres a golf course near mine I would much rather enjoy,plus it get's me and away from the missus for a bit

The Fight.............see plenty of that on weekend's after clubs and pub's kick out

And watched the Socom 4 vid's but I would much rather carry on using the
    DS3 ,and I also imagine it would play the same as Killzone 4 would.

If that wasn't a reply to me........................um yeah look into hypnotoad's eyes and agree with eeeeeeeeeeverything I say! lol
    Lol it wasn't really directed at you, it was to the guy above who said it doesn't seem like it would be good for games. Not everyone's life is so exciting that they can just go ahead and pick a fight at the local pub lol (plus playing the fight would probably cut down on the ****ty morning afterwards haha) and not everyone has access to a golf course and what if it's storming outside? Time Crisis is almost exactly like House of the Dead just different theme, and razing storm is three games in one, a pirate game (forget the name) time crisis 4 arcade, and razing storm. Just FYI. Oh I forgot to mention Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5 as well.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Master Genshin
    But what are developers saying about the Move? Any word on if they like it, don't like it? Easier/harder to work with than the Kinect?

Thread Information