Forum Sage

Licence to Play WKC 2 Online: Sonys Answer to Used Games or a Crackdown on Multiple

Licence to Play WKC 2 Online: Sonys Answer to Used Games or a Crackdown on Multiple PSN Accounts?

By sdr0079Published: June 23, 2010Posted in: PS3NewsTags: Geo Net License, White Knight Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles: Awakening of Light and Darkness

If youre interested in playing WKC 2 online when it releases next month in Japan, then youll need whats being called a Geo Net License. Each copy of the game will include this license. All thats needed for you to do is register it with your PSN account then youre free to begin the clobbering of hapless Kibbles online with your friends.
    Licence details indicated in the red on the official box art of WKC 2.

This is being considered by some as Sonys answer to the used game market but after reading carefully Im beginning to wonder if the inclusion of a licence is to stop players from creating multiple PSN accounts of WKC with one copy of the game. Ive run across quite a few players of White Knight Chronicles who have gotten around the one-avatar-per-account requirement by creating a new one with a separate PSN account.
    This tactic must have become popular amongst players since Sony will be charging an unknown fee for those who want to register the game on an additional PSN account. Theres no word on if your license and registration will be needed whenever WKC 2 makes it out of Japan.

http://thesilentchief.com/2010/06/23...-psn-accounts/

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Guru
    I think it's the right thing to do if you don't want people buying second-hand games instead of new ones.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

Elite Member
    So, if I even get this at all, I guess it'll just be a rental so that I can beat the single-player mode...

Super Elite
    Won't bother me at all. I just hope Level 5 localizes this quicker than the first.
    Valkryia Chronicles is wonderful.

Miqo'te Bard
    If we really think about it, buying used saves you what $5? on average. This is not a big deal, but prob a big kick in grind to gamestop and such.

Forum Elder
    I guess that's the kind of thing Bobby Kotick would do to COD...

But honestly, it's not that bad and i actually agree with it someway, used games at gamestop are 5$ less than new. I always, pretty much, buy new games, i hate used games as i don't feel like i gave my money to the developers.

I'm a real boy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    If we really think about it, buying used saves you what $5? on average. This is not a big deal, but prob a big kick in grind to gamestop and such.
    When buying from the used game retail stores, then yes about $5 is what you save. If we're to go buy used off ebay or amazon the price gap can be much higher.

Doesn't bother me, I buy all my games new anyway. Any games I buy used are bargain bin because I said "hey what the hell?". Even then if I eally want o play online the extra $5, or $10 wouldn't matter because I'm still far ahead the MSRP.

Apprentice
    Whatever. This just means I won't be getting this game at all then =[

I'm A Monster!
    This news ends any interest in this game that I had to begin with, I don't buy new games unless its an NHL or Socom or possibly COD.

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Master Poster
    FFS!!!! I have 2 younger brothers who have their own accounts on the same ps3. Does this mean that only one of us will be able to take wkc2 online? O.o

The three of us have spent so much time in the first game and now the second game will limit online play to just one of us, if so this bull****!!!! Way to kill sales.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenshi15 View Post
    Whatever. This just means I won't be getting this game at all then =[
    your loss
    Valkryia Chronicles is wonderful.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    I know that this is to try to boost new game sales but this is kind of a shot to the nuts to people who actually buy used games. It's kind of like saying we don't want you to buy our game unless its sealed. More and more game companies are turning to this method. I don't really care for it because I buy games off gamefly a good bit. This also screws gamefly as well because games that have this setup will most likely not be played online for a rental. No one is gonna sink an extra 5 on a rental! oh well I guess I won't be playing my used games or rental online in the future

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Airiaen
    Egh.. Da....Damn you Electronic Arts

WKC wouldn't be the kind I would buy used but still if any game failed to be worth a full RRP then its a publishers own loss.
    Last edited by lordAlucard; 06-24-2010 at 01:19.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeriver View Post
    I think it's the right thing to do if you don't want people buying second-hand games instead of new ones.
    I think it's complete BS. If I buy a game that has online and after a month I find that it's not my thing, I can not sell it!
    I pay $100au for game, not like it then I'm stuck!

It should be, if you don't like a game I can sell it to a mate then go buy something else. If a game has online, when I own it I can play online, but if I sell it whom ever buys it from me has the ability to play online. the online community doesn't really increase before 5 people played the 1 game.

-[ Over half of the 100~ish UHD Blu-rays on the market ]-
    -[ I wouldn't even watch if they came free with my breakfast cereal ]-

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    Doesn't matter to me i get my games new anyways..

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostar View Post
    your loss
    Probably not, considering how badly the first one sucked lol...

Sublimely Static
    This is probably less of a "Sony" thing and more of a "Level 5" thing. I would probably more inclined to think it was a "Sony" thing if it appears on other titles, like GT5 for instance.

Thread Information