Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Using a PSP Power Cable on the PS2?

Is it safe? It seems to work fine and all my games work on my PS2 fat. What I did was take out the cable with the power plug from the psp's AC adapter then plugged it in my PS2 fat.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    No it's not safe.

#1 - It's the wrong voltage level. PS2 expects 8.5V and PSP Power supply is at 5V.

#2 - PS2 consumes significantly more power than PSP and so the PSP's supply is going to have a lower current rating (Current * Voltage = Wattage)

Look at the supply it should say something along the lines of Output: 8.5V - 5A for PS2 and Output: 5V - 2A for the PSP. I don't know the exact numbers but what I listed for the PS2 would be able to supply 42.5W of power at 8.5V, while the PSP supply can supply about 10W at 5V. You'll not likely damage the PS2, but you're likely to at a minim burn out your PSP power supply trying to use it on the PS2.

Go find a power supply that provides 8.5V and has a current rating that is at least whatever the current rating is listed for the output of you existing PS2 supply.

Note that the PS2 Slim external supplies (early slims had external supply) is most likely a lower current rating and most likely is not adequate for your needs as well.

Master Sage
    But all I am plugging is a cable without any adapter. My games seem to run fine?

I am just plugging in this part of the psp cable without the adapter.. this cable has no sense of voltage does it? only the adapter or the internal parts of the PS2? I thought this was just a standard cable.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    The PSP cable doesn't have one of what you have pictured.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by ash91 View Post
    The PSP cable doesn't have one of what you have pictured.
    My launch PSP does. Like one half is the small cable that connects to the psp itself to the AC Adapter (not pictured above) and the other half is the cable above that connects to the AC adapter to the power plug (pictured above)..and that is the part I took out to put on the PS2. It works perfectly but made this thread to see if its safe or will affect the ps2 in any way it seems to be fine.

I'm a real boy!
    Yea my PSP-2000 AC adapter has a removable cord for the outlet, then the power adapter with a cord connected for the PSP's end.

Though what TAZ said makes sense, I see no logical reason the cable that connects from the power supply to the outlet would be able to handle the current. I could be wrong though.

Master Sage
    Well it seems to be playing my games fine.. I'm just afraid my ps2 will burst into flames or something. (is that even a possibility?)

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    But all I am plugging is a cable without any adapter. My games seem to run fine?

I am just plugging in this part of the psp cable without the adapter.. this cable has no sense of voltage does it? only the adapter or the internal parts of the PS2? I thought this was just a standard cable.

Ok, I didn't interpret what you wrote correctly. Yes this is a standard IEC C8 cable. It's just supplying 120V AC to your power block. No problems at all with swapping these out. I've got a drawer full at work (and two drawers full of IEC C13's that you find in the back of most PCs.)

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Ok, I didn't interpret what you wrote correctly. Yes this is a standard IEC C8 cable. It's just supplying 120V AC to your power block. No problems at all with swapping these out. I've got a drawer full at work (and two drawers full of IEC C13's that you find in the back of most PCs.)
    Ah so using that cable above I pulled out from my psp ac adapter shouldn't cause any long term effects? Thanks.

Thread Information