I'm a real boy!

External HDD: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check). I want to format!

I have an Iomega 1TB External HDD that will not mount in windows (even through computer management).

The error I receive is "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)".

This has been going on for a while, and I've already received a replacement through warranty so I have this drive leftover. It's a paperweight.

I just want to format the drive, but without being able to mount the drive I can't figure out to format it.

I've tried both command prompt and booting windows in safe mode with command line.

It should also be mentioned that when the drive is first turned on and the disc spins it sounds like there's some friction. I've been considering opening it up and seeing if there's anything that looks broken/out of place, but I don't think that will solve the issue relating the the CRC. As far as I'm aware a CRC is related to data corruption.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like its broken. Probably got too many bad sectors. Has it pbeen powered off while reading/writing to the disc?
    Last edited by keefy; 07-21-2010 at 23:23.

I'm a real boy!
    Not that I'm aware of, the problem just started on it's own a shortly after I got it. It was working fine then suddenly wouldn't be recognized. Originally the drive was NSFT, but I formated it to FAT32 so it could be read by both the PS3 and a Mac.

I'll also say upon closer inspection (I couldn't actually get into the drive because of the incredibly useless and unnecessary Torx-head screws on the drive itself.) I realized that the disc isn't actually gaining friction on anything, but does seem to click then stop spinning. This is as if the drive is trying to read, but cannot and has to backtrack.

Master Guru
    Its done for man,i dont think you can do anything to it.I have a 500gb too that does the same.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Ultimate Veteran
    Try to mount it in a Unix based OS and see if that works, wort a shot.
    Other opinions are available.

I'm a real boy!
    Going to have to wait until I get a hold of a friend of mine then, which won't be for a while because he just moved farther up north with a new job.

Not a big deal because I've already received a replacement. I just realized the other day that I had the originally still.

Ultimate Veteran
    Or download a live cd of Ubuntu or something.

I'm a real boy!
    I'd really rather not go into creating a partition on my laptop to install it at the moment to be honest. That would also involve me learning to use it as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
    I'd really rather not go into creating a partition on my laptop to install it at the moment to be honest. That would also involve me learning to use it as well.
    No, no a live cd would just boot from the CD nothing to install then you can just try to mount the drive.

I'm a real boy!
    Maybe I'll try next week. I'm leaving to go camping for the weekend in a few hours.

Ultimate Veteran
    Okay hopefully you get it sorted so you can mount it. After that you will need to run some sort of data recovery software I would imagine.

I'm a real boy!
    Don't care what's on it. :P Anything I had saved on I've ether copied to the new one from the source, or replaced on the new one.

Ultimate Veteran
    Then force the puppy up and bring forward a magnet

I'm a real boy!
    Sure we could do that.. but doesn't that run the risk of messing up the magnetization on the disc?

Ultimate Veteran
    Yeah but isn't that the point? I don't think that drive will ever be useable again Seems like too many sectors are broken.

BTW, you mention a Mac try to plug it into your Mac too might work.

I'm a real boy!
    Well not my mac, it's my sister's. Unfortunately the screen is broken on her macbook at the moment.

It wouldn't matter anyway. That's where we first started to notice the problem. Doesn't work on a Mac either.

Here's what the error is:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html

There are plenty of technical resources on the Web that discuss cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs). Most times you won't need to worry about this technobabble. That is, until one it day it suddenly appears and you think - what the hell does that mean? In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.
    The most common time you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Less frequent causes are the result of system crashes, and buggy software (hello Microsoft), incomplete downloads (often identified by the misleading message 'This is not a valid Windows file', 'This is not a valid win32 application' or 'Corrupt Zip file'). If this problem happens frequently with downloads, try using a download manager.

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.
    I'm getting the error when I try and mount the disk (assign it a letter) in Disk Management under Computer management in windows.

The disc still shows up under the "safetly remove hardware" section on my system tray, and shows up in disc management.

Ultimate Veteran
    Obtain a hardware recovery software might be able to mount it so you can format it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    A C.R.C usually mean the drives totally dead in a certain place if it's causing it to happen more oftern chances are it's in the dead center of the drive platters as if I remember most drives read in to out etc if it's under warrenty can't you RMA to the manufacturer? it's like with DVD's when you get one of these errors thats it the disc is dead no matter how hard you try to copy data off it.

If you bin it destory it I use a bolster drill on the things as I no longer sell them on if there dead ones if I do need the cash I use a low level formatter program.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

CBD(Copy Bad Disk)

use CBD(Copy Bad Disk) to copy damaged files off bad sectors, use PBD(Partition Bad Disk) to isolate bad sectors and create healthy partitions.

Thread Information