Xbox 360 on non high def

Hey guys,

I made a topic about this a little while ago, but I kind of joked around in it and it got locked without any serious responses. I am seriously trying to decide whether to buy a ps2 or a 360 right now. I own a projector, but it's not high definition and I'm wondering how much of the next gen benefits of the 360 will be lost because of that. This is especially important since most of the games I would probably buy right off the bat are also available on the PS2 (Fight night, Hitman, etc.). Would there be a noticable difference between the PS2 and 360 versions of these games on a 480p projector? Also are there any gameplay improvements on the 360 versions over the PS2?

Another game that I definately want to buy on it's release is NHL 07. I've heard some rumours that the physics in the PS2 version will not be as good as the 360 version. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I've also heard some things about certain games not looking right on standard definition. Things like not being able to read text clearly, etc. Can people who play the 360 on standard definition TVs give me their thoughts on this?

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if the added price is worth it given that the games I'm interested in are also available on the PS2 and I don't have high def.

Superior Member
    360 games still look very good in non-hd. They will look at least 50x better then ps2 games.

Game tree
    Sega Saturn>GB>GBC>GBA>Xbox>PSP>Xbox360>(PS3>Wii)
    PS3 funds: 500$

http://www.halowarsforums.net/

Ahead of the Game
    http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=28747

There's a topic on it not too far down this section. But I'd also appreciate it if someone can answer the question about the text being difficult to read.

Forum Guru
    Text is not difficult to read on a bigger TV (>24") but the same is true with the Xbox games I've played on the same tv.

Knuckles126
    Text is difficult to read on SDTV's because they are 640x480 (480i) resolution. But it really depends on the game. For example, when I play GRAW the text is hard to read sometimes, but when I play Oblivion it's okay. So it all depends...

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles126
    Text is difficult to read on SDTV's because they are 640x480 (480i) resolution. But it really depends on the game. For example, when I play GRAW the text is hard to read sometimes, but when I play Oblivion it's okay. So it all depends...

Yep, my brother is playin on a SDTV and it sucks to play on it when your used to playing on an HDTV.

Super Elite
    Ah yes yes.
    GRAW is incredible, i found it so hard to read what it said, and whats even harder is to see what button its telling you to use, its obvious they didnt think about SDTVs when they made that game.
    PGR3 is cool, except in some sections where theres small text at the bottom of the screen, thats kind of hard to read too.

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by chopchopyep
    Ah yes yes.
    GRAW is incredible, i found it so hard to read what it said, and whats even harder is to see what button its telling you to use, its obvious they didnt think about SDTVs when they made that game.
    PGR3 is cool, except in some sections where theres small text at the bottom of the screen, thats kind of hard to read too.
    Yeah...devs need to think about everybody. The fact is, not everyone has an HDTV. In fact, the majority of gamers don't own an HDTV. So, this whole "HD Era" is a little premature imo..

Apprentice
    SDtv, games will look better than ps2 or xbox
    Nintendo Fanboy: 55%
    Sony Fanboy: 39%
    Microsoft Fanboy: 35%

justintheman99
    I agree with the whole HD Era being premature. I dont own an HDTV nor can I afford one, and I don't even know anyone that has one!

Forum Elder
    Aleman, if you read this thread, could you post some comparison pictures of a game being played on a SDTV and on a HDTV? i would really like to see if the difference is big enough to convince me of buying a new tv this holiday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Studios come and go, but good games last forever"

Superior Member

SDTV (480P)

HDTV(720p)

Monitor

these screens were taking from the same tv but with different settings

Superior Member

If you're used to playing on a SDTV, the 360 will look great on it. Most games are designed with SDTV users in mind as well as HDTV users, although text can be hard to read on small SDTV, but that's the same way with any system. I play on a 27" SDTV currently(had it hooked up to a 50" HDTV for a while) and I've never had any problems reading text. Sure the 50" looked much sharper and crisper, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much with only a SDTV. You can buy a 27" SDTV for like $150 now, so there isn't really an excuse for playing on anthing smaller than a 24" TV. Since you are playing on a projector, I'm sure you will have no problems reading text and be quite amazed by the graphics.
    Nintendo Fanboy: 42%
    Sony Fanboy: 28%
    Microsoft Fanboy: 42%
    Periods. Not just for women, they're for your sentences too.

So everyone here agrees that a 360 on 480p will look FAR better than a PS2 on 480p?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Micods
    So everyone here agrees that a 360 on 480p will look FAR better than a PS2 on 480p?
    Yeah, played my 360 on 480p the other day and wow it sure beats 480i.
    Nintendo Fanboy: 55%
    Sony Fanboy: 39%
    Microsoft Fanboy: 35%

Super Elite
    I wonder if there will be any visual difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 games on SDT Vs that are in majority?
    What about comparing to Wii games?
    We believe multiple SKUs just confuse consumers so we will just stick to one SKU....a year later... 20GB, 40GB (no BC), 60GB (US full BC, EU limited BC), 80GB, 160GB, more to come...

Knuckles126
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirtc
    I wonder if there will be any visual difference between Xbox 360 and PS3 games on SDT Vs that are in majority?
    What about comparing to Wii games?
    It all depends on the paticular game for the paticular system and what games you compare to one another.

The Wii, will obviously look last-generation as it is nothing but a gamecube on steroids. Hence, why it won't cost nearly as much as a PS3 or 360. So overall, PS3 and the 360 will smoke the Wii when it comes to graphics.

Thread Information