Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 451
  1. #276
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadside View Post
    It's true. The change was made because of DVD9 space limitations. I remember reading the article about RAGE that discussed this in great detail.
    Its a fact, the content had to modified to fit the limitation of the media. At the last E3 FF13 devs actually bashed MS for this limitaiton because having no standard HDD and a weak media as games are getting larger and have more content is a huge flaw to a dev. Much like cost is and technical know how is on the PS3.



    Even Gabe Newell Bashed 360 for having such a damn inherent limitation with not only DVD9 but no standardized HDD. And then i wonder why STEAM is on PS3 hmmmmmmm

    figure that one out?? common sense.
    Last edited by rblover69; 08-11-2010 at 17:31.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  2. #277
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,368
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    155,968 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    and ill reiterate, 360 limitation accept digress and move one with your rhetoric.
    rblover,
    There was no rhetoric, I satated that it WAS a design decision based on medium (that is optical format).
    You stated that it was because of memory, I quote:

    elimiate the amount of worlds due to 360s handicap with memory capacity
    It had nothign to do with "memory" memory is the 512mb on the Xbox360.
    Medium is DVD-9.

    I hope that clears that up, but seriously if you dont understand what I said, ask, and do not be so rude as to dismiss others comments on the basis that you cant understand or comprehend what they are saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    Its a fact, the content had to modified to fit the limitation of the media.
    The content was not modfied, the "design" was modified.
    Content would indicate they actually had created some disc assets then went and modified them.
    They have alrady stated thats not the case.
    Good planning can save you in effort further down the track.
    At the last E3 FF13 devs actually bashed MS for this limitaiton because having no standard HDD and a weak media as games are getting larger and have more content is a huge flaw to a dev. Much like cost is and technical know how is on the PS3.
    Agrreed, it is a weakness in the the 360.
    Even Gabe Newell Bashed 360 for having such a damn inherent limitation with not only DVD9 but no standardized HDD. And then i wonder why STEAM is on PS3 hmmmmmmm
    well I dobut MS would allow steam to intrude on Live, but the rest of it I agree with.
    Its a limtiaiton for sure.
    figure that one out?? common sense.
    Huh? How would steam work on Live exactly?
    Last edited by mynd; 08-11-2010 at 21:59.

  3. #278
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    rblover,
    There was no rhetoric, I satated that it WAS a design decision based on medium (that is optical format).
    You stated that it was because of memory, I quote
    :

    What was meant by my statement was that he memory limitation of the medium obviously. Even though to generalize memory persay can mean the systems memory , since the topic is on memory issues based on medium i assumed you would comprehend the topic at hand with the term "memory" in my previous statement , my apologies.


    It had nothign to do with "memory" memory is the 512mb on the Xbox360.
    Medium is DVD-9.
    Again this is well known and understood, the memory layer capacity of the medium was the topic of the thread not once did we go into internal memory arguments this im baffled by the correlation but its understandable given the generic use of the term.



    I hope that clears that up, but seriously if you dont understand what I said, ask, and do not be so rude as to dismiss others comments on the basis that you cant understand or comprehend what they are saying.
    The same can be said for you, i perfectly understand what ur saying your trying to understand what im saying apparently which constitutes to the reversal of this statements logic. You state as to not be so rude, but your writing tone aswell may seem a bit off the way of direct assumptions of what the poster is stating rather then trying to digest what the poster actively meant as we see here. In order to propagate a valid rebuttal there is a level of tone that must be constant during a written discussion not to be indirectly shot down with assumed absolute statements, which there if i dont agree with you , you must be able to accept.


    The content was not modfied, the "design" was modified.
    Content would indicate they actually had created some disc assets then went and modified them.
    They have alrady stated thats not the case.
    Good planning can save you in effort further down the track.
    Agrreed, it is a weakness in the the 360.

    That is the main point, in which most fail to comprehend and take into consideration. This isnt the first game to do this and it wont be the last this gen. My only issue is, the PS3 owners who may have gotten a far better experience had the 360 been better equipped hardware wise. In essense PS3 owners are gimped in there versions of this ie.


    well I dobut MS would allow steam to intrude on Live, but the rest of it I agree with.
    Its a limtiaiton for sure.

    A fact that most pro 360 owners do not understand and will fight to no end to rebuttle, i myself do not understand it. I dont pledge alligence to the PS3 , i jsut get annoyed when the rhetoric of fanboyism and opinions are used to conjure or convince others of false truths. The problem with this gen is that most who really understand hardware see no console war persay its the lesser understood who really dont have a grasp on hardware that inspire such idiotic rebuttles.

    Thus my sig, its the type of nonesense that is rampit that i try to steer somewhat in the reight direction. PS3 has far less limitations this gen then 360 hardware wise and dev wise for a dev from a dev aspect not considering cost. This is something that a person who has no idea what the SDK of both consoles look like will argue to know end and its laughable. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but for gaming this gen..its taken on a whole new form of ******ation so to speak . My goal isnt to bash the 360, i may buy another one if reach improves upon that horrid beta, but to just try to educate the none knowing of what the hardware actually is. For those heavy in the PC programming world as i am and others its all to simple really, although my book on CBE programming is the hardest coding i have done in ages reminds me of risc and the sega saturn at times lol

    Huh? How would steam work on Live exactly?[/QUOTE
    ]

    Well with the same respect to PSN but lack of a HDD on consoles limits that and the structure of live also limits that reality. For the same reason that MMOs wont be home to lives service, network restrictions and lack of HDD for the type of content they want to deliver with there games in there respected fashions. This was the main issue from Gabe Newell on LIVE was its ridiculous restrictions and 360s lack of HDD in every unit.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  4. #279
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,812
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,716 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    I'd also like to point out how people tend to use the words memory when they mean space/ storage. memory refers to ram whereas you actually mean space or storage as refering to HDD or disc capacity. It's really confusing when they are switched.


  5. #280
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,368
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    155,968 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    I'd also like to point out how people tend to use the words memory when they mean space/ storage. memory refers to ram whereas you actually mean space or storage as refering to HDD or disc capacity. It's really confusing when they are switched.
    Correct.

  6. #281
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    360 Space limitation = Over exaggeration if you ask me. The majority of 360 titles are still only 1 DVD. Sure there are some with mulitple DVDs, but all you have to do is switch discs. Perhaps there are a few titles where content has to be scrapped, but again, then is only for a select few. The majority of titles it's absolutely fine. If space limitation really was a big big issue, 360 multiplats wouldn't be looking better.

    This generation, DVD format is fine. There really has been no need for larger storage medium (bluray) this generation, when it comes to games.

    Next generation will be a different story though. DVD would definitely be a huge limitation.

  7. #282
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    7,726 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    I'd also like to point out how people tend to use the words memory when they mean space/ storage. memory refers to ram whereas you actually mean space or storage as refering to HDD or disc capacity. It's really confusing when they are switched.
    i don't know who has done this in this thread, so this isn't a dig, but i LIKE it when people confuse the two - its one less opinion i have to bother with.

  8. #283
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,368
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    155,968 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You dont have to look to far up this page

  9. #284
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    I'd also like to point out how people tend to use the words memory when they mean space/ storage. memory refers to ram whereas you actually mean space or storage as refering to HDD or disc capacity. It's really confusing when they are switched.
    No the term memory can also be used to describe the capacity of a media and how that space is accessed the terms of RAM are used in medium today. Take for instance a DVD-RAM clearly the term RAM and Memory are commonly used for PC memory, but it is also used for medium. Its not that hard to understand ??? should i wipe out the PC terms for dummies here lol its a general term that can be used for both items actually in there literal sense . Its preety easy to understand when the title of the thread READS 360 SPACE LIMITATIONS READ THEIR UGLY HEAD...hmmmmmmm

    i wonder if there talking about the mem pools LMFAO cmon man. wow
    Last edited by rblover69; 08-13-2010 at 00:42.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  10. #285
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,368
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    155,968 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    No the term memory can also be used to describe the capacity of a media and how that space is accessed the terms of RAM are used in medium today. Take for instance a DVD-RAM clearly the term RAM and Memory are commonly used for PC memory, but it is also used for medium. Its not that hard to understand ??? should i wipe out the PC terms for dummies here lol its a general term that can be used for both items actually in there literal sense . Its preety easy to understand when the title of the thread READS 360 SPACE LIMITATIONS READ THEIR UGLY HEAD...hmmmmmmm
    i wonder if there talking about the mem pools LMFAO cmon man. wow
    I know that what you meant, but you interpretaitn of why you want to call it memory is slightly wrong.
    The ROM/RAM ascpect of DVD drives came about because earler PC's with this tech had to use the CPU to actually bring in the data, hence there was a direct memory address to buffe rthis stuff through the CPU.

    It used to go like this:

    CD/DVD->CPU->Memory

    So the CPU woudl actually address the CD/DVD directly.

    Then along came DMA bus's and when applied to DVD/CD rom the result is now this:

    CD/DVD -> RAM-> CPU.

    So the CPU didnt have to worry about touching the data, it got streamed directly from DVD/CD through to the memory. No physical memory extnesions needed to be addressed to read the Cd-rom any more.

    So while the name has stuck, the tech has long since moved on.
    DVD/CD is for all intensive perpusoses, not memory anymore, because the CD/DVD does not access it as such anymore.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-13-2010 at 02:46.

  11. #286
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    No the term memory can also be used to describe the capacity of a media and how that space is accessed the terms of RAM are used in medium today. Take for instance a DVD-RAM clearly the term RAM and Memory are commonly used for PC memory, but it is also used for medium. Its not that hard to understand ??? should i wipe out the PC terms for dummies here lol its a general term that can be used for both items actually in there literal sense . Its preety easy to understand when the title of the thread READS 360 SPACE LIMITATIONS READ THEIR UGLY HEAD...hmmmmmmm

    i wonder if there talking about the mem pools LMFAO cmon man. wow
    Well they work hand in hand.

    Bluray can offer the storage of high resolution, very detailed textures,due to it's capacity, but if you don't have the memory capacity to process these high res/high detailed textures, then it won't work. So it's really useless this generation.

    The majority of multiplatform games, the 360 version is the one with the higher detailed textures, thanks to it's memory, even though it is using a lower capacity medium (DVD).
    Therefore DVD being a big limitation this generation is a huge exaggeration, as DVD is enough, proven by the multiplats on 360.

    Next generation will be a different story though

  12. #287
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Well they work hand in hand.

    Bluray can offer the storage of high resolution, very detailed textures,due to it's capacity, but if you don't have the memory capacity to process these high res/high detailed textures, then it won't work. So it's really useless this generation.

    The majority of multiplatform games, the 360 version is the one with the higher detailed textures, thanks to it's memory, even though it is using a lower capacity medium (DVD).
    Therefore DVD being a big limitation this generation is a huge exaggeration, as DVD is enough, proven by the multiplats on 360.

    Next generation will be a different story though

    what your explaining with the textures isnt the medium its the programing and optimization of the engine. 360 indeed is seeing limitations with DVD9 you need only look at developers for that answer. Is it the end of 360 by no means no, but its a limitation thats becoming more and more annoying to devs. 360s MPs have no bearing on DVD9 or BR from your example its really the dev expiernce and understanding of how to optimize a CBE environment.

    Its a bad example to say there is no need for BR because there are games that are coming out and have come out that would have been far better off on a BR then anything DVD9.



    ie FF13 compression on the 360 version in every aspect
    PS3 version no compression and 1080P vid and uncompressed 7.1 DTS-MA audio....that is a limitaion .
    Last edited by rblover69; 08-13-2010 at 03:50.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  13. #288
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I know that what you meant, but you interpretaitn of why you want to call it memory is slightly wrong.
    The ROM/RAM ascpect of DVD drives came about because earler PC's with this tech had to use the CPU to actually bring in the data, hence there was a direct memory address to buffe rthis stuff through the CPU.

    It used to go like this:

    CD/DVD->CPU->Memory

    So the CPU woudl actually address the CD/DVD directly.

    Then along came DMA bus's and when applied to DVD/CD rom the result is now this:

    CD/DVD -> RAM-> CPU.

    So the CPU didnt have to worry about touching the data, it got streamed directly from DVD/CD through to the memory. No physical memory extnesions needed to be addressed to read the Cd-rom any more.

    So while the name has stuck, the tech has long since moved on.
    DVD/CD is for all intensive perpusoses, not memory anymore, because the CD/DVD does not access it as such anymore.
    I understand your point but the term is perfectly valid. DVD RAM for instance is still accessed within the same respects. Of course these are monotonous arguments but my use of the word is perfectly acceptable is my point.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  14. #289
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    Well excluding FF13 cutscenes. I was talking more about in game graphics. Bluray hasen't given a benefit here at all, and DVD hasen't made in-game graphics suffer for 360 either. Sure it won't have 1080p cut scenes, but thats cut scenes, not in game graphics.

    You could say the less details textures on the 360 version of FF13 is the cause of the DVD, (since its packed with 720p cutscenes - so had to reduce texture detail to save space), or it could be because the engine was not optimised for 360.

    Still, thats still only 1 game. Rage is another, so thats 2. So yes, there may be a few games, but the majority of them are fine.

    Still waiting for that game that takes advantage of Bluray (in game - not cutscenes etc)
    Last edited by ufo8mycat; 08-13-2010 at 04:03.

  15. #290
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Therefore DVD being a big limitation this generation is a huge exaggeration, as DVD is enough, proven by the multiplats on 360.
    It's not a hug exaggeration if dev's talk about it every year since release. Again, just because you see games on DVD doesn't mean that they didn't have concerns or issues with the size. In a perfect world we would not have known, but devs talk about this all the time.

    And you are wrong about the memory, as shown in many exclusive titles on the PS3 Higher quality textures is not a problem the problem only is in the hands of the dev and what they want to do with it. The issue between limitations is simple. There is a space issue beriod because "developers" themselves either talk about trying to tackle a disc, or the cost of multiple discs giving the publishers pause. If you are going to say the PS3 holds the 360 back in terms of how they under-utilize the gpu, then the same is turned right back around and the devs are under-utilizing the cell. Both consoles were built with checks and balances in mind so when a dev shoots to make a title, they "try" to aim for a middle ground but most of the time as seen in this gen, they really skew to either console (or the PC), when that happens performance deficiencies will show up on one unless adequate time and care is spent working on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    what your explaining with the textures isnt the medium its the programing and optimization of the engine. 360 indeed is seeing limitations with DVD9 you need only look at developers for that answer. Is it the end of 360 by no means no, but its a limitation thats becoming more and more annoying to devs. 360s MPs have no bearing on DVD9 or BR from your example its really the dev expiernce and understanding of how to optimize a CBE environment.

    Its a bad example to say there is no need for BR because there are games that are coming out and have come out that would have been far better off on a BR then anything DVD9.
    Exactly

    Quote Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
    ie FF13 compression on the 360 version in every aspect
    PS3 version no compression and 1080P vid and uncompressed 7.1 DTS-MA audio....that is a limitaion .
    Iirc, there "IS" compression for the PS3 version of FFXIII.

    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Well excluding FF13 cutscenes. I was talking more about in game graphics. Bluray hasen't given a benefit here at all, and DVD hasen't made in-game graphics suffer for 360 either. Sure it won't have 1080p cut scenes, but thats cut scenes, not in game graphics.

    You could say the less details textures on the 360 version of FF13 is the cause of the DVD, (since its packed with 720p cutscenes - so had to reduce texture detail to save space), or it could be because the engine was not optimised for 360.

    Still, thats still only 1 game. Rage is another, so thats 2. So yes, there may be a few games, but the majority of them are fine.

    Still waiting for that game that takes advantage of Bluray (in game - not cutscenes etc)
    If you go back a few pages you will see that I did a quick google search and came across 10 or more articles regarding 360 and DVD space for the past 4-5 years. Pointing out only 2 titles is no where near a real reflection of what devs have been saying.

    And you do know MGS4 was in engine for most of the game except for the promo's during the chapter loads and the battle at the end of the third sun, iirc. It is really easy to find out which ones are in engine because you can interact with all of them. In the briefings you can take control of MK2 and go through the plane while they are talking. That game needed a 50 gig disc. It is amazing that you actually think you haven't seen a game that needed BR yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

    Hmm, I said or
    not compared to.

    So no Im not serious because I didnt ask you that.
    I asked you why eithe rof these games perform and act the way they do.

    I am sorry I misunderstood you.

    1. You say the performance is left untapped for bioshock the 360..... what else do you think they would have or could have done?

    2. As far as RB6V has gone ( I have finished them both by GT is the same as my SN) I am saying that it is likely the locations of the second game is because of story. They ported the first successfully and it ran very well so the idea that casino's or casino like environments was changed because of the PS3 really makes no sense at all, especially when seeing the most played map "calypso casino" was left in the equal and ran without a hitch.

    3. I am saying that the PS3 doesn't effect designs of a game simply because if it is a texture issue, or a rendering issue, they have no need to change the content to achieve parity. If they did, we wouldn't have seen the differences so much in many MP titles. All the devs really have to do though is change how the PS3 process the information given to it and they can attain the same results if not even more impressive ones if they program correctly. Unless they play for a main feature of a game to be SPU heavy then the 360 should not be affected by any design path they choose.
    Last edited by Staticneuron; 08-13-2010 at 04:31.

  16. #291
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    If you go back a few pages you will see that I did a quick google search and came across 10 or more articles regarding 360 and DVD space for the past 4-5 years.
    Yup and they have managed to work around it. Just like developers having difficulties with the PS3s more complex architecture. They work around that also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post

    And you do know MGS4 was in engine for most of the game except for the promo's during the chapter loads and the battle at the end of the third sun, iirc. It is really easy to find out which ones are in engine because you can interact with all of them. In the briefings you can take control of MK2 and go through the plane while they are talking. That game needed a 50 gig disc. It is amazing that you actually think you haven't seen a game that needed BR yet.
    And MGS4 isn't really that impressive graphically either. (in game gameplay) Most of that 50GB space was due to the uncompressed audio if I recall no? and the in-game cut scenes. In-game graphics wise, there is no game that has benefited from bluray. Only cutscenes and audio.

    From a gamer perspective, there has been hardly any impact what so ever. From a developer, sure, some of them are having issues with the DVD space limitations, but just like programming for the PS3s complex architecture, they manage to work around it. In the end, when we gamers receive the finished product, I don't see hardly any negative impacts from DVD, in regards to in game graphics

    Where are these PS3 games where in-game graphics have benefited from Bluray storage? Uncharted 2? The reason Uncharted 2 looks so good is because of the amazing optimisations Naughty Dog did, not because of the extra Bluray storage.

    Just because you can add 1080p cut scenes and uncompressed audio to a game, due to bluray, isn't enough for it to be needed. Until I see in-game graphics benefit from bluray.
    Last edited by ufo8mycat; 08-13-2010 at 04:50.

  17. #292
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Yup and they have managed to work around it. Just like developers having difficulties with the PS3s more complex architecture. They work around that also.
    Which means there is no such thing as over exaggeration in these cases. The devs are talking about personal experiences and they were only being candid instead of ranting and raving.

    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    And MGS4 isn't really that impressive graphically either. (in game gameplay) Most of that 50GB space was due to the uncompressed audio if I recall no? and the in-game cut scenes. In-game graphics wise, there is no game that has benefited from bluray. Only cutscenes and audio.

    From a gamer perspective, there has been hardly any impact what so ever. From a developer, sure, some of them are having issues with the DVD space limitations, but just like programming for the PS3s complex architecture, they manage to work around it. In the end, when we gamers receive the finished product, I don't see hardly any negative impacts from DVD, in regards to in game graphics

    Where are these PS3 games where in-game graphics have benefited from Bluray storage? Uncharted 2? The reason Uncharted 2 looks so good is because of the amazing optimisations Naughty Dog did, not because of the extra Bluray storage.

    Just because you can add 1080p cut scenes and uncompressed audio to a game, due to bluray, isn't enough for it to be needed. Until I see in-game graphics benefit from bluray.
    Actually some of the sound was uncompressed but it was actually the other content that took up more space (think he would really go from a 25 gig disc to a 50 gig simply because of distaste for lossy codecs?) For me it is hard to tell when people criticize certain titles if it is not for confirmation bias.

    What about killzone 2 which also takes up an entire blu ray. The only FMV cutscene is the intro (speech by Emperor, assult on helghan planet) and each stage was roughly 2 gigabytes (estimation by Herman Hulst). and there are about 10 stages in the game (you would imagine 5-6 stages recycled major assets) either way the content of the game most likely went over 9 gigs.

    I have no idea about Uncharted 2 and I have a sneaky suspicion that you don't either. You don't know what type of compression they use and how much space their assets take up.

    The think is, as a gamer, most cannot spot and wouldn't even care, where the extra space of the medium provides benefits. Since the focus is not on the individual technical merits, it is on the overall package. So if you as a gamer like any particular game that is on blu ray and is on the PS3, and the devs credit the space, then you really shouldn't be saying other wise unless you know for a fact.

  18. #293
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,368
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    155,968 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Killzone 2 is a good example of how to use Blu-ray, it streamed like mad to give us those gorious pre-baked shadow textures.
    Definatly could not have been done on the 360.

  19. #294
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    Yeah, it's just a shame most developers aren't making use of the extra space of bluray....

    Next generation when games will be 1080p standard I would assume. If true, then Microsoft will need to jump to another medium. DVD definitely won't be enough for 1080p textures.
    Last edited by ufo8mycat; 08-13-2010 at 05:45.

  20. #295
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Yup and they have managed to work around it. Just like developers having difficulties with the PS3s more complex architecture. They work around that also.



    And MGS4 isn't really that impressive graphically either. (in game gameplay) Most of that 50GB space was due to the uncompressed audio if I recall no? and the in-game cut scenes. In-game graphics wise, there is no game that has benefited from bluray. Only cutscenes and audio.

    From a gamer perspective, there has been hardly any impact what so ever. From a developer, sure, some of them are having issues with the DVD space limitations, but just like programming for the PS3s complex architecture, they manage to work around it. In the end, when we gamers receive the finished product, I don't see hardly any negative impacts from DVD, in regards to in game graphics

    Where are these PS3 games where in-game graphics have benefited from Bluray storage? Uncharted 2? The reason Uncharted 2 looks so good is because of the amazing optimisations Naughty Dog did, not because of the extra Bluray storage.

    Just because you can add 1080p cut scenes and uncompressed audio to a game, due to bluray, isn't enough for it to be needed. Until I see in-game graphics benefit from bluray.
    But you are corrected you asked for examples and you have them. As far as working around a space limitation ummmm hey bud im a programmer theres only couple of ways working around that much of a limitation you either struggle to shrink code and compression as much as possible remove stuff re structure the engine and level dynamics all not benefiting the original vision. Your point of "workaround " isnt what gaming needs as far as devs are concerned , it out right sucks to be honest. Not as much as 360s lack of standardized HDD that actually sucks more but DVD9 is def a tired medium and its starting to show more and more. I have yet to play a 360 game with uncompressed sound lol..preety standard on PS3. Not to mention the glorious DTS-MA not on 360

    but look at star ocean less voice acting etc on 360 full international version on PS3 its easy to see really.


    KZ2 was a great example of a BR streamed game that could not be done on 360 also U2 aswell GOW3 aswell...preety much the major first party titles to be honest.


    Believe it or not as much of a crappy game LIAR was technically its impossible to pull that off on a 360, 1 level of lair is 25GB streamed off the BR ...lol...

    so you stand corrected brotha, its totally not the same thing as working around PS3s coding issues that is not even apples to apples and a odd comparision.


    And MGS4 was rated one of the most impressive games of all time..ill take every mags word and the industry thanks also cannot be done on 360 aswell..lol



    Note. This isnt to say 360 cannot produce AAA games i mean duh....thats a no brainer but as far as technical savvyness is concerned PS3 can handle alot more with the obvious monumental storage perks then 360 with its 2 major issues.

    Will it be the end of any console of course not 360 owners are fine with there games.

    To me to be honest 360 to me is more of a multiplat console....its the perfect shareware engine environment coding wise. For serious development and fidelity i would play with the PS3. Its all about your $$$ and expectations really.
    Last edited by rblover69; 08-13-2010 at 05:54.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  21. #296
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Killzone 2 is a good example of how to use Blu-ray, it streamed like mad to give us those gorious pre-baked shadow textures.
    Definatly could not have been done on the 360.
    Really? So the shadow maps were the reason each stage was 2 gigs to stream? Mind blowing. And here I thought a 1024x1024 greyscale image would not surpass 5MB. Glad you're here to enlighten us.

    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    Yeah, it's just a shame most developers aren't making use of the extra space of bluray....

    Next generation when games will be 1080p standard I would assume. If true, then Microsoft will need to jump to another medium. DVD definitely won't be enough for 1080p textures.
    Not really. The space is to be there "if" they need it. If they don't need it, that is fine but I really wouldn't like them to complain about not having enough space on a medium that can hold 50 gigs.

  22. #297
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    How do you know MGS4 can't be done on 360? Because a MAG says so? bah :P
    MGS4 isn't even that graphically impressive (IN GAME), sure you got uncompressed audio, but big whoop) that can easily be compressed. I am talking about IN GAME graphics.

    Why didn't they make the in-game graphics/textures highly detailed and high resolution in MGS4? They certainly got the space (bluray)

  23. #298
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Really? So the shadow maps were the reason each stage was 2 gigs to stream? Mind blowing. And here I thought a 1024x1024 greyscale image would not surpass 5MB. Glad you're here to enlighten us.



    Not really. The space is to be there "if" they need it. If they don't need it, that is fine but I really wouldn't like them to complain about not having enough space on a medium that can hold 50 gigs.
    the streamed no loading times of directly retrieving up to 50GB of information from a BR is once of its biggest perks. With caching its a very ingenuous way of doing something on PS3.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  24. #299
    Elite Member
    rblover69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    131 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
    How do you know MGS4 can't be done on 360? Because a MAG says so? bah :P
    MGS4 isn't even that graphically impressive (IN GAME), sure you got uncompressed audio, but big whoop) that can easily be compressed. I am talking about IN GAME graphics.

    Why didn't they make the in-game graphics/textures highly detailed and high resolution in MGS4? They certainly got the space (bluray)
    No one in there right mind is going to argue your feelings towards what is good or not thats personal. The industry has already spoken about MGS4 and its already set in stone. The game technically cannot be done on 360 because its on a 50GB BR and uses 50GB of data , its impossible to do this in the same fashion. Also MGS4 visuals at that time overshadwed almost every 360 game. I hope u udnerstand that, theres a reason the entire industry went crazy and it sold around the world. lol...Its Audio components alone cannot fit on a DVD dude lol

    And for textures the games beautiful its in 720p i have no idea what your talking about.


    Big whoop for compressed audio...i buy br movies for uncompressed audio its a big deal for those who actually spend alot of money on component systems ...your views are a bit off mate to each his own i guess lol
    Last edited by rblover69; 08-13-2010 at 06:02.
    VPCEB17FX Bose Companion System
    50' SXRD XBR2 & DAV-HDX274 Theatre
    PS3 320GB & 500GB & PSP GO 32GB

  25. #300
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    1,055 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Not really. The space is to be there "if" they need it. If they don't need it, that is fine but I really wouldn't like them to complain about not having enough space on a medium that can hold 50 gigs.
    Well thats the problem. If they do NEED it, why don't they use it? Speaking of multi platforms of course. GTA4 for example. Rockstar have complained about the issues they had with DVD with that game, yet it looked the same on both systems anyway. Was content cut out? Was the world made smaller?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.