Page 12 of 180 FirstFirst ... 21222 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    According to one of the mod suppliers here in Victoria the case is not 100% closed just yet.

As for homebrew and piracy all Sony did was stop the PSJB (because of the software) but they have not stopped anything by way of the clones - where the software is not supplied with the device but freely available or the other methods.

Ironically the PSP is something they're interested in working with to enable this hack as well.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    SONY should be happy they made it this far rather unscathed. Hopefully whatever they can't block in court or with lawyers they can kill with a fimware update.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran

PS-jailbreak found illegal by Australian Court

It is illegal according to the court. f34r and @7m4d will respond to this with the argument that illegal is legal but here it is.

PS Jailbreak Found Illegal by Australian Courts

The day has come and it seems the injunction against PS Jailbreak has not been lifted, but continued until further notice, and that the distributor, China Sun Trading Limited must turn over all stock intended for suppliers in Australia.

Justice Dodds-Streeton has ordered that PS Jailbreak may not be imported, distributed to another person, offered to the public, provided for another person, or dealt in despite a free version of the PS3 hack already being made public.

Furthermore, in more shocking news, that the defendant's are ordered to contact the supplier, identified as China Sun Trading Limited of China, with the account number of 817-374473-838 at the HSBC Hong Kong bank branch and inform that any goods ordered be sent to Peter Chalk, and not the defendants.

Finally, it has been ordered that any more PS Jailbreak devices that are acquired by the defendants be handed over forthwith.

This, curiously does not mention other devices, like the Teensy or other devices which have a dual purpose use - so they could still be programmed and sold, as the documents only name "PSJailbreak".

OzModChips Tweeted the following comment about the decision:

"Sorry 4 the lack of updates, its been a long day. Bassically the injunction still stands but its not 100% over yet. Not allowed to say more"

PS3 hacker Mathieulh commented to BBC the following regarding the open-source PSGroove alternative, to quote:

"We want people to run the software they like on the system they paid for without it having to be licensed by Sony. We released it on the internet because we believe in openness, choice and innovation from everyone.

We understand (games console makers') point of view as well when it comes to protecting their income or business models, we just believe compromises could be made to keep everyone happy."

The entire text is below:

THE COURT ORDERS BY CONSENT BUT WITHOUT ADMISSIONS, THAT:

1. Upon the Applicants undertaking to the Court to:

(i)submit to such order (if any) as the Court may consider to be just for the payment of compensation, to be assessed by the Court or as it may direct, to any person whether or not a party, adversely affected by the operation of Orders 3 to 5 set out below or any continuation (with or without variation); and

(ii)pay the compensation referred to in (a) to the person or persons there referred to.

1.2 ORDERS that, until further order, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them, whether by themselves, their servants or agents, be restrained from doing any of the following acts with respect to all and any Universal Serial Bus devices described as "PSJailbreak" in Exhibit PJC-1 of the affidavit of Peter John Chalk sworn on 26 August 2010 and filed herein, as packaged, and distributed or threatened to be distributed by the Respondents (PSJailbreak Devices):

(i)importing them into Australia with the intention of providing them to another person;

(ii)distributing them to another person;

(iii)offering them to the public;

(iv)providing them to another person; and/or

(v)otherwise dealing in them.

save that it will not be a breach of Order 2(a) for the First or Second Respondent to import all and any PSJailbreak Devices in respect of which any orders were placed prior to 27 August 2010, provided that any such importation is subject to the undertaking in paragraph 5 below.

1.3 ORDERS that, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them deliver up to the solicitors for the Applicants, to be held until further order, any and all PSJailbreak Devices in those Respondents' possession custody or control.

1.4 ORDERS that, until further order, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them continue to deliver up to the solicitors for the Applicants, to be held until further order, any and all PSJailbreak Devices that come into those Respondents' possession custody or control (including the sample device referred to in paragraph 7 of the Affidavit of the Second Respondent affirmed on 2 September 2010), forthwith upon them doing so.

1.5 NOTES the undertaking to the Court given by the First and Second Respondents by their counsel:

(i)forthwith to notify the supplier of PSJailbreak Devices (identified as China Sun Trading Limited of China, being the beneficiary of account number 817-374473-838 at the HSBC Hong Kong branch, 1 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong with SWIFT Address HSBCHKHHHKH) that any goods ordered by the First and Second Respondents are to be shipped to Blake Dawson to the attention of Peter Chalk at Level 26, 181 William Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000 and not to the First or Second Respondents; and

(ii)to deliver up in accordance with Order 4 above to the solicitors for the Applicants any PSJailbreak Devices received.

1.6 NOTES the undertaking to the Court of Blake Dawson:

(i)to hold any such goods securely subject to any further order of the Court; and

(ii)promptly to notify the solicitors for Respondents of the receipt of any such goods and to supply copies of any documentation received with them.

1.7 RESERVES LIBERTY to the parties to apply on 24 hours' notice, including for the purpose of the First and Second Respondents giving notice on or after 9 September 2010 that they wish the matter to be relisted for the resumption of the Applicants' application for interlocutory relief.

1.8 ORDERS that costs be reserved.

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks news. Also be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks Forum for updates!
    http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/ps-...lian-courts-1/
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Supreme Veteran
    Edit the quote a little there as you mention mod sellers business names, from what the OP has said this is against the rules. I'm not trying to be an mod just don't want this thread to get trashed.

Edit: As for your little petty attempts to mock at myself and F34R contemplate one thing, I know what is legal in Australia and this rubbish verdict is not final as is stated in the quote YOU posted.

Like i said above you, this doesn't stop anything, except a very expensive USB device and even that is not 100% final.
    Last edited by A7; 09-03-2010 at 17:36.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    According to one of the mod suppliers here in Victoria the case is not 100% closed just yet.
    of course its not close yet, gotta get all the names of all the supplier first before Sony hand out more court orders. I heard OzModChip cracked and started given out names.

As for homebrew and piracy all Sony did was stop the PSJB (because of the software) but they have not stopped anything by way of the clones - where the software is not supplied with the device but freely available or the other methods.
    would it make u more happy if Sony start going after individual who dl this hack and using it?

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    would it make u more happy if Sony start going after individual who dl this hack and using it?
    If Sony can convince the courts to legally prosecute people who downloaded homebrew/open source software then this countries judicial system is rubbish. Personally if Sony can pull that off then I anticipate appeal after appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    of course its not close yet, gotta get all the names of all the supplier first before Sony hand out more court orders. I heard ***** cracked and started given out names.
    Keep dreaming, all they have done is stop the PSJB.

Also you may want to edit out the names of the mod suppliers in the interest of the OP.

Elite Member
    when I did downloading of movies and music it wasn't illegal in canada. It was only illegal to share music, not download it. Now laws have changed and I am not a man above the law.

Supreme Veteran
    Downloading moves and music has always been illegal here unless written permission or some sort of authorization was given for the content.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xBSGeorge View Post
    when I did downloading of movies and music it wasn't illegal in canada. It was only illegal to share music, not download it. Now laws have changed and I am not a man above the law.
    Here in Finland it still is not illegal to download music or movies or anything. Only using it without license and sharing it is illegal.
    Do you feel the fear swell inside that filthy bag of meat? - Shodan
    Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network at Wikipedia

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    They have basically stopped the selling of the PS3JB, that's all. They can't stop the selling of the actual USB controller boards like the Teensy, etc., and they certainly have no claim to stop the downloading of open source software lol.

Basically this court did a good thing for the community. I don't have a problem with stopping the selling of something like this. I held the same stance against the PSP jig batteries that were being sold. Open source software should be distributed the way it has been now. I'm actually glad this held up in court.

Good for Sony on this front, they did everyone a favor here.

(sorry Blig, I know this isn't the response you wanted)

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    Well we have a beast of a machine and even though I will not be using Brew, I am so excited to see what the masters can conjure up.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Well I am getting another PS3 at X-mas, I might consider doing the homebrew on the old PS3.
    Im just not sure what to expect from it though.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jugix View Post
    Here in Finland it still is not illegal to download music or movies or anything. Only using it without license and sharing it is illegal.
    Thats not true lol if that was a law, I know its not the law in Finland now

Veteran
    I'm surprised there's been no FW update from Sony yet. Is there a reason?
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Firmware at this point, isn't going to matter.

XBMC and MAME should be possibilities now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    From what I've read, the code was ported ot the Nokia N900 to exploit the PS3 lol. Wtg. Shouldn't be long before the code is ported to Android, or PSP, etc.

Sony can sue people to the cows come home but that is not stopping this exploit. Maybe if they acted 1000 centuries ago, they could have stopped the hackers from cloning it.
    But now that PSFreedom, clones, PSGroove and basicly schematics on how to build your own Jailbreak have arrived, it is absolutely impossible for Sony to stop this with suing people.
    It could be their way of giving out a clear sign that they do not tolerate this and will hurt (sue) anyone who is a threat to Sony.

I think Sony needs to do some serious work on how to disable this and release updates is the way to go, although i think the hackers have come a long way to figure out how to avoid detection and go past Sony`s updates. So it will be exciting to see how things will go. I am on Sony`s side and i am shocked on how selfish people are claiming "its our right to jailbreak the PS3" although ALL of them know that this leads to piracy that again hurt developers that again hurt gamers in various ways.

Sony have a hard battle in front of them

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    cloud,

you don't think it's your right to do with your hardware as you wish?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    cloud,

You approved on how the machine was intended when you chose to purchase it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Answer the question please. I'd really like to know your answer. Do you think you have the right to do whatever you wish with hardware you purchased?

As far as "how the machine was intended", all I can do is laugh about that statement.
    Last edited by F34R; 09-03-2010 at 22:33.

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    If Sony can convince the courts to legally prosecute people who downloaded homebrew/open source software then this countries judicial system is rubbish. Personally if Sony can pull that off then I anticipate appeal after appeal.
    I don't think that is possible in most countries at all.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    cloud,

It is your right to do whatever you want with the hardware. But it is not your right to modify the Official OS nor the functions of the OS that the IP holder has. This was brought up once before in the linux removal thread. You cannot have your cake and eat it to.

You want to turn your PS3 into a linux box, go ahead. You want it to run windows or be specifically for homebrew, then fine. I really find it hard to believe that anyone should care that the people doing this are trying to retain the some of functions of the original OS then modify it, then say its for freedom. That is nonsense. You are not free to subvert someone elses software, period. It is not ok on PC's, it is not ok on closed devices like DVD players or microwaves, why on earth would it be ok for the PS3.

I really don't understand how people actually think that its ok to hack these companies software. To me it seems selfish and self centered. Whether the argument is for price (you are not entitled to have everything), protection of media (we already established you BRs can take pure abuse and still work), or even freedom. The jailbreaks and the sticks are easily detectable, sony has not released a fix for this and I already can see the wave of complaints painting sony as evil for trying to protect their stuff.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    It is your right to do whatever you want with the hardware. But it is not your right to modify the Official OS nor the functions of the OS that the IP holder has. This was brought up once before in the linux removal thread. You cannot have your cake and eat it to.

You want to turn your PS3 into a linux box, go ahead. You want it to run windows or be specifically for homebrew, then fine. I really find it hard to believe that anyone should care that the people doing this are trying to retain the some of functions of the original OS then modify it, then say its for freedom. That is nonsense. You are not free to subvert someone elses software, period. It is not ok on PC's, it is not ok on closed devices like DVD players or microwaves, why on earth would it be ok for the PS3.

I really don't understand how people actually think that its ok to hack these companies software. To me it seems selfish and self centered. Whether the argument is for price (you are not entitled to have everything), protection of media (we already established you BRs can take pure abuse and still work), or even freedom. The jailbreaks and the sticks are easily detectable, sony has not released a fix for this and I already can see the wave of complaints painting sony as evil for trying to protect their stuff.
    Great answer.

wonder how "happy" modders would be if the 1st thing needed to add homebrew to the PS3 would be the disabling of all of Sony's programming inside the PS3's hardware, including OS, drivers, etc... that make it function. Cause like you said, if you don't disable it all, you are just subverting and using their software in ways that violate their IP.
    LMAO

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudfire View Post
    You approved on how the machine was intended when you chose to purchase it.
    I certainly never approved the removal of features.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    As no one may not approve of features being removed, it doesn't justify condoning or approving of us software that Sony designed (in part or whole) and drivers that Sony identifies the devices inside the PS3 with (in part of whole) to modify the general functionality of the entire system.

There's a difference in being open source and stealing/pirating..
    On open source, the software used is NOT the property of someone else's work. This Sony crap is basically ripping off their operating system, using a loophole and what some in the satellite-hacking world would call "glitching". You're still using the stuff that Sony has rights to, it's not open-source in ANY shape, form or fashion. Convincing yourselves that it's ok to do it this way simply because your idea of "open source" is modifying already-existent software to do things that open the system up is just plain glitching/stealing/hacking.

If these thieves had made their OWN code and operating system, had literally written their OWN drivers to run the devices inside the PS3, it would be a different story. THEN, and only then, it would be using the hardware with open-source software to accomplish a legal, non-copyrighted function. Since when can you modify windows XP using a security loophole, modify the integral code of the backbone OS, and consider that being some type of open source alternative? It's still Windows..and it's still THEIR source code.

These guys didn't use their own source code..I've not seen anywhere that it's stated you format the flash and you rid the system of the Sony-installed OS and use a PURE homebrewed method of running the hardware. That's just making a mockery of those who are true open-source development teams.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information