Page 2 of 180 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    I wonder,is this is just a regular USB dongle with memory that boots up the program to PS3? or there is hardware involved too...
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonmess View Post
    Yeah, but they need to find a way to get people to update so it does that.

No one's gonna update (out of the ones with this dongle) if it's gonna screw up their free games.
    Yeah that will be the big problem, but future PS3's will ship with a new firmware or even hardware to prevent this so only current PS3's are at risk. Still a lot of PS3's mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    I wonder,is this is just a regular USB dongle with memory that boots up the program to PS3? or there is hardware involved too...
    Everything looks to be on the USB, my guess it's some sort of buffer overflow attack so you get access to the kernel.
    Other opinions are available.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    I can only see like 500,000 people not updating when Sony puts out a new firmware, I just don't see that many people putting money out to buy a new PS3, modchip and an external hardrive.
    Last edited by neoxthexone; 08-22-2010 at 20:35.

Forum Elder
    Yeah looks like it's been ripped off already, guess i can't say much else but there's a file in the wild that claims to be the jailbreak and weighs in at over 2GB (so, not just the 514k loader)

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    Instead of modifying the PS3 through code, why do they not assign or create a code on all future PS3 games which will not allow the USB dongle software to read the disc? I mean it seems plausible as long as the pirates do not create a patch.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPSN View Post
    Instead of modifying the PS3 through code, why do they not assign or create a code on all future PS3 games which will not allow the USB dongle software to read the disc? I mean it seems plausible as long as the pirates do not create a patch.
    The problem is that people will start playing games that they don't own via obtaining dumps over other media. So code on discs won't matter as it simply would be removed when they dump the games.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    The problem is that people will start playing games that they don't own via obtaining dumps over other media. So code on discs won't matter as it simply would be removed when they dump the games.
    Do you remember when PS2 games used to get pirated onto disc? Sony used DLNA to check whether or not the disc is original which would prevent pirated discs access to online functions. So I am saying, why does SONY not code their games to prevent dumping? I mean surely there has to be a way to not allow dumping?

I might be mistaken though so feel free to correct me.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Galv is way too optimistic here. Sony doesn't have the upper hand here.

Ultimate Veteran
    Do you remember when PS2 games used to get pirated onto disc? Sony used DLNA to check whether or not the disc is original which would prevent pirated discs access to online functions. So I am saying, why does SONY not code their games to prevent dumping? I mean surely there has to be a way to not allow dumping?

I might be mistaken though so feel free to correct me.
    I had forgotten about the DLNA tbh, but usually pirates don't give a **** about online from what I understand. I guess they'll ban you from PSN like MS does from Live if you have a modified console.

As for preventing a disc to be dumped, I doubt they could people always find a way around stuff like that.

Master Poster

PS3 usb JailBreak - Thoughts?

Just the first few minutes talk about it, but there are tons of videos and discussions on the net talking about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOEbZEkp9A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...u-4&feature=iv

What do you think?
    Last edited by badz_ps3; 08-22-2010 at 21:27.

Have an AV/Home Theater question? Send me a PM and I'll be glad to help!
    Blu-ray.com - My HT Setup
    AVSForum - My HT Setup

Superior Member
    I had forgotten about the DLNA tbh, but usually pirates don't give a **** about online from what I understand. I guess they'll ban you from PSN like MS does from Live if you have a modified console.

As for preventing a disc to be dumped, I doubt they could people always find a way around stuff like that.
    I think you are right. I just thought about it now and it really does seem seriously impossible. I really do not see a way around this problem to be honest, hopefully the Code they used was on a dev-kit. I guess the hardcore gamers or pirates will just buy another machine and sell dumps to people... this is seriously sad stuff.

Master Poster
    Forums need a better search feature... They never work as intended.

Anyway I'm interested to see how this one plays out.

Have an AV/Home Theater question? Send me a PM and I'll be glad to help!
    Blu-ray.com - My HT Setup
    AVSForum - My HT Setup

Superior Member
    I am actually surprised Sony has not said anything about this matter. I have been losing sleep and Sony is hi-ho-dum-diddily sitting around doing .. not much.

Ultimate Veteran
    I am actually surprised Sony has not said anything about this matter. I have been losing sleep and Sony is hi-ho-dum-diddily sitting around doing .. not much.
    It's better for Sony not to comment before they are 100% sure what this is and what they can do to stop it. I'm sure there is heated internal discussions at Sony HQ.

Superior Member
    It's better for Sony not to comment before they are 100% sure what this is and what they can do to stop it. I'm sure there is heated internal discussions at Sony HQ.
    Here's hoping you are right. For some reason playing my PS3 just does not feel the same after hearing this news. I don't want the PS3 to become a kiddy's play toy like the PS2 did.

Ultimate Veteran
    Here's hoping you are right. For some reason playing my PS3 just does not feel the same after hearing this news. I don't want the PS3 to become a kiddy's play toy like the PS2 did.
    Everything get's hacked, its one of the laws of computing these days. I won't bother "jailbreaking" so honestly I couldn't care less I'm just really interested in how this works. I'm geeky that way

Pirating software is wrong no matter platform and I won't do it.

Superior Member
    Everything get's hacked, its one of the laws of computing these days. I won't bother "jailbreaking" so honestly I couldn't care less I'm just really interested in how this works. I'm geeky that way

Pirating software is wrong no matter platform and I won't do it.
    Well said again, don't get me wrong but the technology behind the hack is simply mind blowing and interesting but as you said, I strongly oppose piracy and the purpose of the hack I will not support. >:[

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Well, it's the purpose of THESE people releasing it. Sure. I think once some scene devs get their heads around it, we'll see something really useful for us legit users.

Elite Member
    they are doing the right thing by waiting cause the last thing they want to do is jump the gun. There only been video and couple of people confirming it. And some of those people are the one that are **** off at Sony for removing OtherOS, and we all know how trust worthy the internet is, right? I mean u can have the same people going to different forum/blog and act as 10 different people.

u know what they say the one that is the loudest are usually the one who is more worry.

most are making a big fuse because they don't want to waste $150. So people are waiting for some kind of hint from Sony that said "we in trouble" before they open their wallet.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    they are doing the right thing by waiting cause the last thing they want to do is jump the gun. There only been video and couple of people confirming it. And some of those people are the one that are **** off at Sony for removing OtherOS, and we all know how trust worthy the internet is, right? I mean u can have the same people going to different forum/blog and act as 10 different people.

u know what they say the one that is the loudest are usually the one who is more worry.

most are making a big fuse because they don't want to waste $150. So people are waiting for some kind of hint from Sony that said "we in trouble" before they open their wallet.
    Bah.. let's not hear more of the "its not real" type posts. It's as real as the PS3 is. Period.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Bah.. let's not hear more of the "its not real" type posts. It's as real as the PS3 is. Period.
    I'm not 100% sure yet, they should have released the code so you can install it on any USB stick. That would have been the right move.

Dedicated Member
    I'm not 100% sure yet, they should have released the code so you can install it on any USB stick. That would have been the right move.
    Not if they want to make money..

And remember what happened last time when somebody released their exploiit method.

If this is a viable solution, then eventually it will become more common and free.

Superior Member
    This makes sense to me. rep

Supreme Veteran
    I'm not posting links of who sells it, how you use the modchip or anything but I will say they have already sold out

I think in all seriousness 1/3 of the current consumer base will turn into pirates as soon as this device is in people's homes, thus far it's successfully been 0% for 3.5 years.

With all the exclusives Sony has coming, pirates are going to be damn happy.

I want Sony to patch this current mod, however I anticipate more from the hackers who wrote the code which allows the PS3 to install full games to a HDD (external or internal).

Team Jungle (according to rules I can mention names) along with C4eva have made progress with the Blu-ray drives from the phat PS3 and slim PS3 SKU's. Their tool has successfully dumped the firmware the drive uses.

A few groups such as Team Xecuter will also help fund C4eva and TJ as they did with the 360 drives (Samsung/BenQ/Lite-on).

Seems C4eva has a new toy to play with, and right now if he succeeds the PS3 may be the console people buy 2 of for online and offline gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    There's hardware involved also and imitations are already made... They work fast.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Galv is way too optimistic here. Sony doesn't have the upper hand here.
    Sony is the mouse here and there are at least 2 cats in the game, one of them is funded with money to continue the fight.

Edit:
    Supposedly Sony can now detect the device and ban users.

Offline modding it is...
    Last edited by A7; 08-23-2010 at 01:00.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

SnowHawk
    Hackers didn't write this code, Sony did.

it's a code from sony that got leaked, the hackers can't claim they hacked the ps3.

Thread Information