Page 3 of 180 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHawk View Post
    Hackers didn't write this code, Sony did.

it's a code from sony that got leaked, the hackers can't claim they hacked the ps3.
    Whether you call this a hack or not, the end result is still the same: PS3 is now exploitable.
    "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out." - Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowHawk View Post
    Hackers didn't write this code, Sony did.

it's a code from sony that got leaked, the hackers can't claim they hacked the ps3.
    Well if that's true Sony from a legal standpoint can shut the ones selling these devices down pretty easily.
    Other opinions are available.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    A7MAD,

Exactly. With the people working on this stuff now, Sony can't win the fight. It might win some battles here and there, but it won't be able to stop this now.

Superior Member
    sony should simply make new APIS built into the new firmware and tell all devs to use them as a part of the games they are developing. so even offline games will crash because game code depends on them.

that way all pirates can enjoy are single player offline games of yesteryear. majority of gamers out there would simply update because they would want to enjoy their new games and ofcourse get online
    Gaza, the new Warsaw Ghetto

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    A7MAD,

Exactly. With the people working on this stuff now, Sony can't win the fight. It might win some battles here and there, but it won't be able to stop this now.
    It seems that Mynd thinks otherwise.At least for the current situation.
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by arfi-gorgona-O View Post
    What can they do? They can't come into our houses and force us to install new firmware updates. All they can do is firefight and hope people who run this will upgrade out of the goodness of their hearts.

Consoles sold in the future may be immune, but the genie's out of the bottle for (potentially) millions of units currently in people's homes.

Supreme Veteran
    Mynd is wise and he is my main man when it comes to programming but with all due respect and he deserves it, I'm allowed to disagree with Mynd when it comes to this matter of a hardware dongle and just how far they can take this.

You need to understand that when something in manipulated and hackers prior to such a release are looking and searching but may not have found the lead they need things can be tiresome and very lengthy...

When an exploit is found/stolen/cracked, hackers are given direction, they learn and comprehend what it is Sony were actually doing with their means of accessing the console.

Sony will patch this device, no doubt, where I disagree with many is that it won't stop there. Only a couple of weeks ago people were laughing at Geohot, now I bet you he's laughing somewhere telling everyone "I told you so" Regardless how it came about, this is an exploit that allows piracy.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Master Guru
    I think that people are still laughing at Geohot.They wouldn't laughing at him if he had managed to accomplice something.Don't bring him into this convo cause the guy was a joke for what he did.And what happened here has nothing to do with hacking but stealing. Totally different things even if the outcome is the same.

As for the matter at hand,i hope to hear more from Mynd thoughts about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Supreme Veteran
    I think that people are still laughing at Geohot.
    He's the one who kick started the modding awareness for the PS3 to begin with. If it wasn't for him guys like JaicraB would not have dumped the game o/s and now, just think what else can be achieved with a little finesse. The PSJB certainly will assist, even if Sony do patch it (for now).

They wouldn't laughing at him if he had managed to accomplice something.
    He accomplished something alright, Sony is going to fight another uphill battle this gen with the scene.

Apprentice
    @HenryPSN

You mean dnas and not dlna. And that dnas stuff was easily patchable so you could get online.

do people think that this hack will lead to the root key within the of the ps3 being worked out? If so, is this a potential security issue for those of us who purchase things of psn (stored card details, etc) or could it lead to ps3 attacks over the web / malware / etc?
    PS3 -It only does everything (except Linux)

Supreme Veteran
    I don't see the PS3 being able to purchase free content via the PSN store, however maybe like a JTAG 360 it may allow DLC to be unlocked and work with any PS3 and anybodies account.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand al Thor View Post
    sony should simply make new APIS built into the new firmware and tell all devs to use them as a part of the games they are developing. so even offline games will crash because game code depends on them.

that way all pirates can enjoy are single player offline games of yesteryear. majority of gamers out there would simply update because they would want to enjoy their new games and ofcourse get online
    I was thinking about this earlier while I was at work. Just change some physics or something in the game that needs it to run.

I was thinking maybe it wouldn't need to be a complete overhaul, just a slight alteration but one that would be really difficult to suss out for the pirates.

I'm not right clued up on this stuff, so I dunno though.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Supreme Veteran
    I think that people are still laughing at Geohot.They wouldn't laughing at him if he had managed to accomplice something.Don't bring him into this convo cause the guy was a joke for what he did.And what happened here has nothing to do with hacking but stealing. Totally different things even if the outcome is the same.
    Just to show you with evidence I was not talking out of my rear when I told you how Geohot contributed to this exploit, read the following.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010...k-development/

^^ Mods : The link above, discusses NOT any hacking related techniques, steps or where to buy from just an explanation how someone contributed toward the manipulation. I truly do not see this breaking any rules unless new ones have been made up within the last hour or so.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    ahhh, so it sounds like the DID hack it, dump it, reverse it, etc. So the pS3 HAS been hacked. Game, set.... match TBD.

Supreme Veteran
    Oh yeah... Hacked, cracked, manipulated, exploited... It seems all those terms are correct.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    SO they basically had to use Geo's HACK, to access the jig, then dump and reverse it. I don't see how you can call it anything other than being hacked. Good job.

Master Guru
    Yeah good job,makes me wonder if the china clone uses geohots exploit too.Or maybe the stick was clonable and they didn't need too?Who is reliable enough to provide us with that info ?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'm going to assume that geo's hack was needed to initially access the jig, then they had to dump and reverse it. Once that is done, the clones are simply made from the "hacked" jig. If they are cloning the psjb, then my answer would be "no", they don't need geos exploit to clone the jig.

Master Guru
    Well the ones that gave them the jig they must have given them the "whole package".Except of course the back up manager that installs the games into PS3,this is something they made.What i don't understand is,why do they need any kind of exploit when they already have what they need to do the job.They can clone the jig and with their backup manager they can install the game into the PS3.Why exactly do they need to hack it,when they can clone it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well they couldn't simple clone the official jigkick usb that they had. It had to be exploited, dumped, reversed, etc. It isn't a matter of just having the official jig and just making copies. This would be why it MIGHT not actually be illegal. If they've reversed it, and made their own version using a legal SDK, then they might be in the clear.

Think of making a backup of a blu-ray movie. You have all the hardware for it, but you need extra software to "hack", or bypass the blu-ray DRM. Same principle here.

Master Guru
    The the only way to find the truth is to see at some point if it is illegal or not.

Supreme Veteran
    Yeah good job,makes me wonder if the china clone uses geohots exploit too.Or maybe the stick was clonable and they didn't need too?Who is reliable enough to provide us with that info ?
    The China clone as in the X3? If you mean the X3 that is a direct clone (hardware) of the current unit as far as we know.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The the only way to find the truth is to see at some point if it is illegal or not.
    Well that does present an entire new discussion. As for whether the clones need the hack, I'm saying no based on what I've read from Math, and what I know about the entire device, etc.

The clones are simply like making a copy of a burned cd. That is a pretty good analogy to use.

Supreme Veteran
    It's almost been 1 week since this all began here in Australia with the modchip & the Aussie you see in the videos on the web.

If there was anything truly illegal would Sony have not done something about this? Maybe even said something?

Thread Information