Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 180 111 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim

Official PS3 hack/mod thread (READ OP)

In light of recent events, it has been decided that it is best to have all discussion on these matters in one place, stickied. There has also been a revision of the PSU rules with regards to these issues and these are stated below:

5. No hacking/Mod discussion - All information regarding hacking/modding the Playstation 3 will go into one sticked thread in the PS3 Discussion sub-forum. All information regarding hacking/modding the Playstation Portable (and any of its subsequent successors) will go into one sticked thread in the PS1, PS2 & PSP Discussion sub-forum. In these threads, no links to forums or news sites discussing how the hack/mod can be achieved will be tolerated. In addition, links to websites selling hardware pre-hacked/modded, or offering to sell equipment that can be used to hack/mod the PS3 and PSP are banned. Members are forbidden to post information or instructions that would enable another user to hack/mod their PlayStation 3. Similarly these rules will be upheld for hacking/modding the Wii, DS and the Xbox 360 for those respective systems. A stickied thread will be created in the appropriate sub-forum if members wish to discuss these matters. Linking to or naming websites that provide ISO's, ROM's or their related software is also not allowed.
    All posts in this thread and the rest of the forum must adhere to these rules.

Discuss the topic within those rules.
    Last edited by Black; 11-16-2012 at 07:52.

Master Guru
    Brilliant stuff PSU, well done

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copyright View Post
    Brilliant stuff PSU, well done
    What are you so happy about?

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    x2
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

Veteran
    Tolerated only has one "L".
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Ultimate Veteran
    I want to know how this USB hack works on a technical level, how do you get access to the kernel via this USB dongel? Prettty cool stuff.
    Other opinions are available.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by illbashu View Post
    x2
    Because now all the non-sense is in one thread! It's illegal, and Im just glad we aren't allowed to talk about how to get it etc. Sony have rights to sue these people, as it uses there code, which isn't what the jailbreak community are about. For example, iPhone jailbreaks are not released until none of it is Apples code, as Apple can sue them and shut it down. These guys have just done just that, releasing something using Sony's code, and are also operating on a profit margin.

I can imagine Sony have a Firmware Update being made as we speak!

Oh and btw, I'm not against the idea, just the team that have released this one.

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Why did the other thread get deleted or trashed, I thought it was going great.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    Why did the other thread get deleted or trashed, I thought it was going great.
    It's so this new thread begins with a clean slate because of the revised rule. If I just randomly posted in the other thread the new rule, some people would see it and some people wouldn't. In addition, the revised rule only allows for one thread on these matters.

What we have now is a clean cut. A new thread with a revised rule that everyone can see (they've been told to read the OP after all).

Veteran
    Where's all the info gone from the other thread?

I mean people (not me) take their time to try and explain stuff to others about this and then it all vanishes and it gets replaced with an empty thread.

Anyway there's a funny story on N4G about the pirates being pirated already. They're begging you to buy the original device from them 'cos you get warranty

There's gotta be a hefty dose of irony there.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

Elite Guru
    Lol, that's priceless.

Dedicated Member
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by roy8846 View Post
    For now.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvanise_ View Post
    For now.
    Alot of people will just not update their FW so they will always have this option. Homebrew = WIN and it will be possible to inject a iso/folder to "downgrade" future games that wont work on it ala PSP
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style

I Pee'd
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Superior Member
    well i hope sony doesn't remove usb support lol

PSN ID MurphANDderl
    xboxlive: derlwaller

Forum Sage
    Alot of people will just not update their FW so they will always have this option. Homebrew = WIN and it will be possible to inject a iso/folder to "downgrade" future games that wont work on it ala PSP
    Sony have more options than just updating the firmware, believe you me.

Dedicated Member
    Enlighten Me Please (a pm if you cant post it)
    PSN = GgT-Wolves-FC

Dedicated Member
    I don't believe you. Care to name a few?

Veteran
    They come round to your house and steal your console.

Maybe they'll do some stealth code in a game that doesn't install until a certain date.

Like release GT5 and in November 2011 when almost everyone has it it runs some code that causes your PS to self destruct, or just stop reading the dongle.

Yeah, I don't know how possible that is.

Ultimate Veteran
    They can probably find a way to stop code to run from USB dongles, got to think this somehow bypasses the check for signature code.
    Other opinions are available.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    They can probably find a way to stop code to run from USB dongles, got to think this somehow bypasses the check for signature code.
    Yeah, but they need to find a way to get people to update so it does that.

No one's gonna update (out of the ones with this dongle) if it's gonna screw up their free games.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I don't believe you. Care to name a few?
    Changes will happen at a developer level that will render future games unusable with the current Mod. Extra software on discs and creating larger file sizes will limit the usefulness of the current Mod.

If things get into a firmware battle, Sony will win. It'll be a cat and mouse chase, but Sony can revoke and change the keys as often as they like. Publishers will support this, despite the hassle, because it will make them more money in the long run.

Those are a couple of things out of the many Sony can do. Sony haven't been so arrogant that they never thought the PS3 would be exploited in some form. They have contingency plans, with several steps they are prepared to take to safeguard their investment.

Hackers are clever people, but they can only hack/MOD around the limitations before them. If Sony keep changing the limitations and make the hackers jump through hoops, the hackers may find a one size fits all solution eventually, but then Sony will take the next step.

I'm anti-piracy, anti-homebrew and anti-backup. My view is that if you don't look after your own property to begin with, that's your fault.

I'm not concerned in the slightest about this MOD. I'll continue to update my firmware every time its offered to me. Sony are concerned however, but what they do likely won't affect me.

Sony own their firmware and will do everything within their power to stop unsigned code running on it. They can take firmware steps, but they can also attack those who do not upgrade to the latest firmware.

This will likely be my last contribution to this thread. I'm not interested in this MOD at all. I'll only come in regularly to make sure you are all following the rules.
    Last edited by Galvanise_; 08-22-2010 at 18:30.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Is it even running code from the USB dongle though? It seems to me that it just sends a signal over the USB bus at boot.. In the videos I've watched they all had to do a hard reset, then press the power button then eject button to put the system into this state. I hope this atleast allows us to get OtherOS back..

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Is it even running code from the USB dongle though? It seems to me that it just sends a signal over the USB bus at boot.. In the videos I've watched they all had to do a hard reset, then press the power button then eject button to put the system into this state. I hope this atleast allows us to get OtherOS back..
    I heard you have to have the the USB in at all times, when using the Mod Features.
    So it must be.

Thread Information