PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 3] Mafia II

Release Date: August 24, 2010
    Rated: Mature
    Price: $12.99 (Used)

There are not many really good mobster games out there. The Godfather series, Scarface, Mafia 1. None of which really pulled me in though. Mafia II has something that none of those other games have, and that is a great story. Easily the best part of this game is the fantastic story. Read on to find out how Mafia II comes one ingredient short of a perfect dish.

Story = 9.5/10
    As far as mobster games go I have to say that Mafia II has the best story of them all. You are a very young Vito Scaletta and your father decides he wants a better life for his family. So you and your family leave Italy and head for America where you end up in Empire Bay. (New York City) The city is rough and you make friends with a boy named Joey Barbaro. Vito gets in to some trouble and instead of doing time he goes off to fight in the war. Once he comes home he hooks up with his old buddy Joe and starts doing small jobs for some quick cash. His father died and left quite a debt for his family to pay back. Vito finds himself in trouble yet again and this time there is no way out.....

Graphics - 8.75/10
    I found Mafia II to be extremely detailed. Cities are filled with life and perfectly resembles the era of 40's and 50's. Characters are all detailed very well but the facial animations seem to be lacking some effect. Sometimes is looks like the character is just moving their mouth and not showing any emotion. I guess I expect all games to have facial animaions like Uncharted. All in all you will not be disappointed with the graphics of this game.

Gameplay = 8/10
    The controls of Mafia II are pretty accurate. I feel very comfortable using melee attacks or switching to my gun. It is essential that you use cover at all times. 2 or 3 shots will kill you thankfully the animations and control while taking cover seem to be very fluid. This can usually make or break a game.
    Early in this review I mentioned how Mafia II comes up one ingredient short and that ingredient is the replay value. There are no side missions. This is something that really gutted me because this game has such great potential and with a little more time 2K could have created something that could have really competed with GTA and The Godfather. Instead you get very large cities which act as a backdrop to a straight forward story. Yes you can walk or drive anywhere you want but you will find that there is no benefit for doing so.
    There are 50 Playboy magazines hidden throughout the game but a lot of them are just laying in plain sight.
    You are collecting money doing random jobs such as selling cigarettes or driving clear across the other side of the city steal some papers for a measely $50. When you do get a large amount of money you will find yourself spending a lot of it repairing your car. There is not much to do with your money that you earn. Buy some new clothes, weapons, or upgrade your car.

Sound - 9.5/10
    Fantastic voice acting and an even better soundtrack. Early on when you come home from the war you will be greeted by people saying things like, "Welcome home Vito" or "Hey Vito, how you doin?". The music is great and you get about 4 or 5 different radio stations to listen to. The music also changes depending on which year it is in the game. When you get to the 1950's you will hear more songs from Chuck Berry, Elvis Pressley, Frankie Lymon, and more.

Overall = 8.25/10
    Know this right now, this is not a sandbox game and you will be very disappointed if you purchase this game thinking that it is. This is another straight forward game but it is a good one none the less. Great graphics, music, and story makes Mafia II a game worth playing. The Playstation 3 also gets exclusive content which is called "The Betrayal of Jimmy" and it is free when you purchase the game brand new.

Pros:
    Large detailed cities
    Great voice acting and music
    Very good story
    Extra PS3 content

Cons:
    No side missions
    No multiplayer

Lethal suggests: Fans of mafia or mobster games will get a kick out of this one. I personally do not feel it is worth the $60 price tag since there is no replay value. The game will roughly take you 8-11hrs to complete. I do feel that this is still a game that should not be missed. Rent this game or wait for it to drop in price.

Edit - A few years have passed and for the $12.99 price, this one should not be missed!

Last edited by Lethal; 12-15-2012 at 22:20.

ComplyOrDie!
    Hopefully il pick this game up pretty soon. I am going to wait for the price to drop though because i agree with you and going of what ive read and seen i don't believe its worth that price tag.Top review +rep

Dedicated Member
    thanks for saving me 60 bucks lethal, going to see if I can rent it soon.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Another great Lethal review. I agree with you. I'm loving this game. And the graphics along with the details of the city and how alive it feels is great. And once I'm done with the main game I have the exclusive DLC to look forward to. I love mafia gangster movies so this game is right up my alley. And I dont regret buying it brand new at all. Always enjoy your reviews Lethal. +rep
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-28-2010 at 16:38.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Glad you guys enjoyed it. My next reviews will be Halo: Reach, PS Move, and Dead Rising 2.

Forum Elder
    Really nice review Lethal !

Will definitly check out your other reviews...thx !

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddPLaNeT View Post
    Really nice review Lethal !

Will definitly check out your other reviews...thx !
    x2

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Nice review +rep

TWISTED METAL
    thats nice
    but the thing is
    i love mob games and movies
    but on the other hand i dont want to pay 60$ for a game that ill finish in two or three days even if its awesome
    specially with no replay value as most reviewers (including u) say

wat about the dlc ?

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_T92 View Post
    thats nice
    but the thing is
    i love mob games and movies
    but on the other hand i dont want to pay 60$ for a game that ill finish in two or three days even if its awesome
    specially with no replay value as most reviewers (including u) say

wat about the dlc ?

I have not tried the DLC yet. The DLC does include extra trophies which is nice. I am waiting to finish the game before I hit up the betrayal of Jimmy.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    I heard once you finish the game .. you can't freeroam. Plus there aren't any side quests.

I'm glad I rented it... this game has way to many screen tears on PS3 (I'm assuming ps3 version only). Plus the controls are very clunky... characters seem kind of dull.

Master Poster
    good review. i agree, its worth a rent. i did expect abit more from it though, the city could be more livelier too

Master Poster
    Very good review. I am going to get Mafia II, I was going to get it even before I read this interview, but it's good to see the game won't be a disappointment.

Twitter - @PeterRobbo12
    XBOX LIVE - Peter Robbo

jakster123x
    I find it slightly strange to have an open world environment with no side-missions. Hmm. I reasonably enjoyed the demo but i think i'm going to save my money for Move, instead.

Superior Member

Great review. I think I'll be giving this a rent.

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    I think this game just deserves a rent, since there aren't any side missions.

Master Poster
    Items Solid SnakeKonami
    Thanks for the review! +rep I was thinking of buying this game to see whats the vibe about it. But now you just saved me money, I think I will go ahead and rent this.

Dedicated Member
    Nice review, I'll be picking this up for cheap one day.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    im playing that now too, it's fun

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin326 View Post
    I heard once you finish the game .. you can't freeroam.
    Just free roam in between missions

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Epire City... the same as Infamous?

Also, decent review, this actually sounds like something I would play, since it doesnt have multiplayer or side missions, I can just concentrate and be engrossed in the main story.

I might pick it up during some gaming downtime next year

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Awesome review as usual Lethal, looking forward to your other reviews.

+rep

Terrible really. Has to be the worst graphics on ps3 and don't blame my 40" Bravia 3 either. I'll agree the game is ok on it's own merits but being such a fan of the first it has to go down as a poor sequel. Quandry? Avoid on ps3. It can do allot better and teach the devs to try harder on a conversion next time instead of softening us up with free dlc. I'd get this on pc when it's cheaper. Trust me m2 is disgusting on ps3. If you do think it looks good, pc would knock you out
    Last edited by Spaceman; 08-30-2010 at 21:35.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    Terrible really. Has to be the worst graphics on ps3 and don't blame my 40" Bravia 3 either. I'll agree the game is ok on it's own merits but being such a fan of the first it has to go down as a poor sequel. Quandry? Avoid on ps3. It can do allot better and teach the devs to try harder on a conversion next time instead of softening us up with free dlc. I'd get this on pc when it's cheaper. Trust me m2 is disgusting on ps3. If you do think it looks good, pc would knock you out
    I blame your tv. Game looks pretty good on my 56" Bravia.

Master Guru
    Great review. I was planning on picking this up now but by the sound of it, I'll wait for a price drop!

Thread Information