PS3 Component gives black/white

I've used my 26" HiSense, LCD2603EU, for a couple of years with my PS3 via Component. It has no HDMI, unfortunately. A couple of weeks ago I moved to a new apartment - and now my TV will only show my PS3 black and white.
    I really don't know what the problem is. I've tried following:
    - Resetting the PS3 (by holding down the standby button) - still black/white, and still after I've chosen the correct component settings.
    - The component cable works: I've tried it with my PS3 and another PS3 on a different TV. No problem - lots of colours.
    - The TV works with the "old"/scart cable (no HD) - lots of colours.
    - The PS3 is not defective: I've tried another PS3 on my TV with the same cable - still black/white.
    - The settings are correct for component in the PS3: I've tried resetting, changing the settings etc. but this does not solve the issue.
    - Updating the firmware: still same issue, I am running the latest firmware.
    - All combinations of the cable sockets - still black/white, but I am completely sure they all 5 are connected correctly in the right socket.

It might be the settings on the TV, but it's still showing black/white when on PAL or on AUTO. SECAM shows black/white on the regular tv-signal as well. Otherwise when on PAL/AUTO all TV-channels show colour.
    My PS3 is bought in Denmark and so is the TV. But remember it has worked for couple of years on same TV, same cable and same PS3.

Can you please help me?! (Not with the tip for a new TV - haven't got the money) THANKS!
    Last edited by JusjongKull; 09-14-2010 at 17:56.

Master Guru
    That does sound odd, so you say the TV itself shows normally tv channels in black and white or they are in colour?
    Maybe reset your PS3 from holding standby button for 5 seconds (if you hadnt tried that one already)
    That is really strange, cables in the right sockets maybe?
    "Everything that has ever happened has been leading up to this very moment"

"What happened to bros before hoes?" "Well, this one isn't a hoe, so she's first."

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like you need Buy new cables.

I've tried resetting several times - still black/white. When I choose the correct component settings: still black/white.
    The TV channel are fully colored. It's just the PS3 when connected via component.
    I've tried all combinations of the cable sockets, but I am completely sure they all 5 are connected correctly in the right socket.

The cable works with my PS3 or another PS3 on another TV, so it cannot be the cable..?

Other ideas...?

Forum Sage
    Items PlayStationVitaPS3 Slim
    What firmware are you running?

The newest..

Apprentice
    ya sounds like new cabels are in your future

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    t can be a couple things.
    If your getting picture and sound then its not that you have them in wrong way its either the AV cords themselves or that particular port on LCD is broken. Switch it to different AV port and try that.

If that doesn't work and I suggest you do this anyways go buy a HDMI cable for like $15-$40 and run it that way. Better picture and sound.

If that doesn't work then its your ps3 and you need to return it.

Yahoo answers

Also look at the cable and see if all the "pins" on the end of the cable that you stick into the TV are straight and not damaged.

I am getting sound.
    My TV doesn't support HDMI. (No port for it, only component)
    The cable have been tried in another TV and it is working fine on another TV.
    The PS3 has been test on another TV with BOTH component (same cable) and HDMI and is working just fine...

There is no damage to the pins..

It might be the port on the TV...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by JusjongKull View Post
    I am getting sound.
    My TV doesn't support HDMI. (No port for it, only component)
    The cable have been tried in another TV and it is working fine on another TV.
    The PS3 has been test on another TV with BOTH component (same cable) and HDMI and is working just fine...

There is no damage to the pins..

It might be the port on the TV...
    wait...so if you hook the PS3 up to a DIFFERENT TV with the SAME cables you see it in color??

if so...then its either the input itself on the TV (bummer) or a silly setting on the TV...go into the TV's menu and search all the options that have to do with picture...or even if there is like a "factory reset" option
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Yes. It works perfectly on another TV with the same PS3 and another. Everything in color.
    -> On my TV: no

I am afraid that it is the TV itself regarding the component ports - because it shows colors when I use the SCART-cable that ships with the PS3.

I have tried to search the TV options through, but without luck. The only thing I thought it could be would be something like PAL/NTSC, but it is on PAL. I might search for a factory reset though..

There is no factory reset on the TV.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by JusjongKull View Post
    There is no factory reset on the TV.
    Check the TV and Manual (I can't find a manual online for that TV or I'd have checked it) and see if there's a switch/setting for setting the Component Input to be YPrPb (may be listed as YCrCb) instead of RGB. Since it's displaying B&W only, it sounds like it could be expecting YPrPb but you're providing RGB - In which case the G is driving the Y (or luminance) and you'd get a black and white picture based on the the red input, but the R&B driving wouldn't make much sense for the PrPb (Chroma) which is used to shift around the color scale. And it could end up still being a relatively B&W image. If that's the case, then you simply need to change it back to RGB.

help and support section for your tv you might find something here to help you out
    http://www.hisense-usa.com/support/index.asp

Thanks. I've written them.

yep

PSN ID
    xx.lunatiic.xx

Same Problem =S

Mine is doing the exact same thing, and making a buzzing noise, again tv is colored and sound on tv is fine. I even restored my ps3 losing all progress/games/trophies and it still doesn't help. >.< Is it really new cables???? Damn it!!! =[

Thread Information