Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 7
Results 151 to 174 of 174
  1. #151
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,100
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,707 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    Am I the only one who had to google "plaintiff"?
    POTM! lol. +rep




  2. #152
    Veteran
    Bostonmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,533
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    4,964 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    Am I the only one who had to google "plaintiff"?
    I think it's a precursor to "air rage."
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

  3. #153
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    Am I the only one who had to google "plaintiff"?
    It's ok. Seeing where you are from the terminology is different there. What we call a "plaintiff" over here is what your court systems call a "Claimant".

    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    POTM! lol. +rep
    I am not sure if it was meant to be funny. Different countries use different terms for a party who initiates a lawsuit.

  4. #154
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    25,489 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    But yet their not responsible for what they said during their interviews with said third party sources or their very own '06 press conference where call the PS3 a computer and not a gaming console and also tout the fact that the PS3 supported Linux?......

    Interesting.......

    ________________
    Sent from my hTC Intruder using Tapatalk.
    Sony called the PS1 & PS2 a "computer" as well. Sony also goes by Sony Computer Entertainment instead of Sony Games Entertainment.....

  5. #155
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    13,263 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Sony called the PS1 & PS2 a "computer" as well. Sony also goes by Sony Computer Entertainment instead of Sony Games Entertainment.....
    Go figure, Linux could be installed on them aswell. I had Linux on both. The ability wasnt taken away after they were sold....

    As for them being called Sony Computer Entertainment, what's your point? I can name off all the different branches for SONY aswell, but is doesn't prove anything...

    ________________
    Sent from my hTC Intruder using Tapatalk.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  6. #156
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Go figure, Linux could be installed on them aswell. I had Linux on both. The ability wasnt taken away after they were sold....

    As for them being called Sony Computer Entertainment, what's your point? I can name off all the different branches for SONY aswell, but is doesn't prove anything...

    ________________
    Sent from my hTC Intruder using Tapatalk.
    Linux couldn't be installed on the PS1, they had a version of it that could run it which was more expensive. You seriously installed it on both?

  7. #157
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    13,263 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Linux couldn't be installed on the PS1, they had a version of it that could run it which was more expensive. You seriously installed it on both?
    Actually, Linux could be put on the PS1 and yes I did really have it on both. The necessary files needed may or may not be easy to come by nowadays. It's been so long =P but they are out there.

    I know what you mean about the different hardware version released that was designed to do so, but I wasn't referring to that model. I didn't have oneof those. Lol

    I will say, It was much simpler to do on the PS2 then it was the PS1.



    ________________
    Sent from my hTC Intruder using Tapatalk.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  8. #158
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,100
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,707 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Linux couldn't be installed on the PS1, they had a version of it that could run it which was more expensive. You seriously installed it on both?
    i had windows 98 on my psp...




  9. #159
    Elite Sage
    The_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free: Canada
    Posts
    11,498
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    1,274 (0 Banked)
    Sorry to interrupt you guys from your regularly scheduled roundabout argument, but what I'm more curious about is what will happen should Sony lose. Will they simply be forced to pay a renumeration to owners of the "Phat" PS3, or will they be court-ordered to re-enabled the OtherOS feature? At least if they are given the latter option, they can hopefully plug-up any potential OtherOS-based exploit (Yes, I'm well aware of the out-in-the-wild USB-based exploit). This will be win-win for both parties as owners of the Phat PS3 can use the OtherOS again, and Sony won't have to worry too much about a potential OtherOS-based exploit.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

    My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

  10. #160
    Veteran
    Bostonmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,533
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    4,964 (0 Banked)
    I think for most people that care about the OtherOS feature... well, I suppose they don't care so much now.

    I think they'll be expecting a better functioning Linux via Jailbreak.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

  11. #161
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    Sorry to interrupt you guys from your regularly scheduled roundabout argument, but what I'm more curious about is what will happen should Sony lose. Will they simply be forced to pay a renumeration to owners of the "Phat" PS3, or will they be court-ordered to re-enabled the OtherOS feature? At least if they are given the latter option, they can hopefully plug-up any potential OtherOS-based exploit (Yes, I'm well aware of the out-in-the-wild USB-based exploit). This will be win-win for both parties as owners of the Phat PS3 can use the OtherOS again, and Sony won't have to worry too much about a potential OtherOS-based exploit.

    I highly doubt the court could force Sony to put OtherOS back into the system. If they were to lose that would entail the plantiffs to assess a numerical value to the damage and Sony would pay it off.

  12. #162
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,100
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,707 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It would probably boil down to $56 per person or something stupid like that. As a financial incentive, the only winners in that sense would be the attorneys who would gobble up some bank.




  13. #163
    Veteran
    Bostonmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,533
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    4,964 (0 Banked)
    $56 dollars or a free game of your choice
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

  14. #164
    Elite Sage
    The_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free: Canada
    Posts
    11,498
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    1,274 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonmess View Post
    I think for most people that care about the OtherOS feature... well, I suppose they don't care so much now.

    I think they'll be expecting a better functioning Linux via Jailbreak.
    Considering how long it took to get unsigned code running privileges, I highly doubt anyone will ever root the PS3 at this rate (a.k.a. Jailbreak).

    Don't confuse the USB-based exploit (which only works on "unpatched" PS3's) with "Jailbreak", or otherwise known as rooting. Rooting means you have complete control over the machine including write access to the firmware; the USB-based exploit doesn't, you merely have the ability to run unsigned code on a machine without being able to change the firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R
    It would probably boil down to $56 per person or something stupid like that.
    Possibly. The PS2 class action lawsuit they lost entitled consumers that were affected by the Disc Read Error to one free game, but it was constrained from within a pre-selected list.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

    My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

  15. #165
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It would probably boil down to $56 per person or something stupid like that. As a financial incentive, the only winners in that sense would be the attorneys who would gobble up some bank.

    Well, I think they would be hard pressed to find a numerical value to the other OS function.

  16. #166
    Veteran
    Bostonmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,533
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    4,964 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    Considering how long it took to get unsigned code running privileges, I highly doubt anyone will ever root the PS3 at this rate (a.k.a. Jailbreak).

    Don't confuse the USB-based exploit (which only works on "unpatched" PS3's) with "Jailbreak", or otherwise known as rooting. Rooting means you have complete control over the machine including write access to the firmware; the USB-based exploit doesn't, you merely have the ability to run unsigned code on a machine without being able to change the firmware.
    It's (the USB exploit dongle device) called (among other things) PSjailbreak, I think.

    All those people that cared about OtherOS enough not to update now have the perfect opportunity to run Linux properly through it, as soon as someone makes a working one that is.
    My game scores, based on how much I enjoyed playing 'em: Resistance: 93% Motorstorm/PR: 90%/90% RB6V: 45% NGS: 30% Oblivion: 30% COD3: 55% SC Double agent: 25% Full Auto: 0% Ridge Racer 7: 10%. Darkness: 88% FEAR: 70% Fight Night R3: 30% GRAW2: 78% Heavenly Sword: 84% Warhawk: 85% COD4: 92% Uncharted: 103% Everbody's Golf: 93% Haze 66% MGS4 72% GT5p+G25=100% Fallout 3 92% Infamous 100% U2AT: 115%

  17. #167
    Forum Elder
    Kydosan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,651
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    7,121 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    Considering how long it took to get unsigned code running privileges, I highly doubt anyone will ever root the PS3 at this rate (a.k.a. Jailbreak).

    Don't confuse the USB-based exploit (which only works on "unpatched" PS3's) with "Jailbreak", or otherwise known as rooting. Rooting means you have complete control over the machine including write access to the firmware; the USB-based exploit doesn't, you merely have the ability to run unsigned code on a machine without being able to change the firmware.
    It's totally a jailbreak. rooting!=jailbreaking.

  18. #168
    Apprentice
    Scott64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    452
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    206 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    Well, I think they would be hard pressed to find a numerical value to the other OS function.
    Well, what's the next cheapest way to get a machine that isn't locked down and contains the Cell processor? That's your value.
    Last edited by Scott64; 10-05-2010 at 00:55. Reason: I had a period at the end of a question. Had to fix it.

  19. #169
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott64 View Post
    Well, what's the next cheapest way to get a machine that isn't locked down and contains the Cell processor? That's your value.
    I doubt it is that simple. Because the OtherOS function was part of the PS3's systems software.... which you cannot install an another machine that includes the Cell processor. Even in theoretical terms.... it fails.

  20. #170
    Apprentice
    Scott64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    452
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    206 (0 Banked)
    No it doesn't. The main value for most with linux on the PS3 was the fact that you get to use the Cell. That's what I think most people (including myself) want(ed). I'm still on FW 3.15 because Linux on the PS3 matters more to me than PSN ever did. I also don't like having things taken away, but since they made me choose one, it was an easy choice. PSN will go away at some point in time (they can't be expected to support it forever), but as long as I don't update my FW and my hardware stays working, my ability to run Linux on it stays indefinitely.

  21. #171
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London/Tokyo
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    6,882 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    Sorry to interrupt you guys from your regularly scheduled roundabout argument, but what I'm more curious about is what will happen should Sony lose. Will they simply be forced to pay a renumeration to owners of the "Phat" PS3, or will they be court-ordered to re-enabled the OtherOS feature? At least if they are given the latter option, they can hopefully plug-up any potential OtherOS-based exploit (Yes, I'm well aware of the out-in-the-wild USB-based exploit). This will be win-win for both parties as owners of the Phat PS3 can use the OtherOS again, and Sony won't have to worry too much about a potential OtherOS-based exploit.
    Sony will probably have to pay compensation, even if the feature was turned back on; the problem here however is defining who this would apply to in an economically 'fair' way to either Sony or the consumer.

    For instance if the court took the stance that all PS3 'fat' owners (which must be circa 20mn+) are due to a partial-refund, Sony would have to source something in the region of $100-200mn. If it gets FUBAR (ie a full monetary refund which is a possibility) then you're looking at a similar $1bn that Microsoft had to shell out on for the RROD. Considering that it is a non-gaming feature I doubt Sony could offer games as compensation to soften the blow; but that is the worse case scenario.

    Sony could however argue that only a small percentage of PS3 users ever used the feature and that the onus would be on the consumer to provide evidence that they had or were going to use the feature.

    I'm not sure what law firms Sony refers to, but they've not had too successful a history; the DRE and Immersion cases are two examples involving either another corporate or consumers.

  22. #172
    Sublimely Static
    Staticneuron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vekta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,995
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    17,483 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott64 View Post
    No it doesn't. The main value for most with linux on the PS3 was the fact that you get to use the Cell. That's what I think most people (including myself) want(ed). I'm still on FW 3.15 because Linux on the PS3 matters more to me than PSN ever did. I also don't like having things taken away, but since they made me choose one, it was an easy choice. PSN will go away at some point in time (they can't be expected to support it forever), but as long as I don't update my FW and my hardware stays working, my ability to run Linux on it stays indefinitely.
    That's fantastic but the console was sold as is. If you posit the arguement that the value of OtherOS is higher then the rest of the features both monetary wise and personally, then the question would be asked about why you updated.

    Because sony didn't support anything besides the feature itself, means that they hold no responsibility for what you used otherOS for and they did not offer the user any reassurances that they would.

    This is simply a discussion about what was offered to you as a consumer vs personal use intentions. You could have used otherOS to install windows95 and run the security of your house for all that anyone cares, it is still not Sony's responsibility. They clearly informed everyone of that 4 years ago during launch and 40+ times since then.

  23. #173
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,373
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    1,230 (0 Banked)
    In my honest opinion, I hope they get punished to the maximum extent of the law. I want them to pay in full what they owe to all the owners of the "fat" PS3s.

  24. #174
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    424 (0 Banked)

    Why included it then

    IF Sony never created the PS3 with another OS option in mind, then why did they included it? Why was the option on the menu system?

    Weasly words it all.

    Point is, we are going to see the argument of "licensing" coming up more and more.

    This is the real scary aspect of all this, where you will OWN nothing, just RENT. Your software, your hardware, everything will be theirs to charge again and again and again and again for over and over again.

    The new DLC and pay for each episode of tv such as Apple TV is gonna cost a helluva lot for what it available now free.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.