Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Sublimely Static

Sony Responds to Linux lawsuits

The attorneys representing Sony Computer Entertainment America have responded to a class action complaint filed against the company for removing the other 'Other OS' feature from the PlayStation 3.

Sony removed the feature in April due to potential security issues as part of PS3 firmware update v3.21. Seven total class action lawsuits were filed against the company soon after, and in July, a judge ruled to consolidate all the lawsuits into one complaint.

Last week, however, Sony's attorneys filed a motion for the court to strike the class allegations and to dismiss the case.

Sony contends the plaintiffs' claims that the company advertised the Other OS feature the later removed it - depriving PS3 users of software features - is contradicted by the explicit terms stated in SCEA's written express warranty, the System Software License Agreement and the PSN Terms of Service.

"These contracts specifically provide PS3 purchasers with a license, not an ownership interest, in the software and in the use of the PSN, and provide that SCEA has the right to disable or alter software features or terminate or limit access to the PSN, including by issuing firmware updates," the motion reads. "Plaintiffs therefore cannot succeed in any of their claims because SCEA's alleged alteration/disablement of PS3 features including the Other OS, was entirely proper and authorized."

Sony's motion also said the complaint fails to provide any mass media advertising campaign, statements by SCEA, or PS3 packaging that referenced the 'Other OS' feature.

"Instead, it includes a mix of quotes drawn from obscure articles and unrelated third party publications, and a smattering of out of context and incomplete references to a few pages of SCEA's website and user manual," Sony said.

Sony went on to list several reasons why the court should strike the class allegations from the complaint and pointed to the fact all plaintiffs did not use the Other OS feature in the same manner, if at all.

"One plaintiff never installed Linux during the more than two years he owned his PS3; two plaintiffs used the Other OS feature only to do things equally available through the PS3 native operating system; one plaintiff supposedly also played Linux-specific games; and the last plaintiff used Linux extensively, including for electronic mail, word processing, spreadsheet software, and other 'productivity applications.'"

Sony later referenced various message board postings from PS3 owners admitting they had "no idea that the PS3 even had an Other OS function or Linux functionality."

The company also cited numerous postings from owners who stated they "did not purchase the PS3 because of the Other OS feature and did not use it" and others saying they downloaded the update because "they did not care about the Other OS feature."

Both parties will be heard before a judge on November 4, 2010. The plaintiffs, meanwhile, have requested that Sony turn over internal documents regarding the decision to remove the 'Other OS' feature.

"We are in the process of reviewing Sony's Motions to Dismiss and to Strike," a representative from the interim co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs told IGN. "These types of motions are fairly common at this stage of the litigation and we believe we have strong arguments for why they should be denied."

"We plan on vigorously opposing these motions and we hope to have them decided in November. In the meantime, we have requested that Sony turn over its internal documents about why the 'Other OS' feature was removed and we look forward to reviewing those materials."

A copy of both motions to strike and dismiss can be viewed in PDF form here and here.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1121709p1.html
    This is exactly how I imagined they would respond.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I doubt the case will be just thrown out/dismissed.

Sublimely Static
    We'll see. I doubt sony would have responded that way if they thought that their request wouldn't stand.

bachlab99
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticneuron View Post
    We'll see. I doubt sony would have responded that way if they thought that their request wouldn't stand.
    lol, don't be so naive.

Forum Elder
    **** em.

Anyone they locked out of PSN for wanting to retain a feature has no reason not to hack their PS3 - a hack which very easily might not have existed if not for the otheros nonsense.

They got what they deserved, however the rest of this fiasco plays out in the courts... That's good enough for me

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Kydosan View Post
    They got what they deserved, however the rest of this fiasco plays out in the courts... That's good enough for me
    What did they get? I didn't read the article.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    What did they get? I didn't read the article.
    A hack that doesn't work on new FW, and a ****load of people who didn't upgrade

gameplaya96
    Without particularly wishing to become embroiled in what actually constitutes an advertisement, Sony will have to wriggle hard to get out of 'the spirit' of what they boasted for the PS3 before removing Other OS.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...disk-run-linux

and

Either way, I don't really care if they win or lose, but I would be very interested to read Sony's 'internal documents about why the 'Other OS' feature was removed'. Can they refuse to make these available? If they can't, perhaps they might settle out of court to prevent them from coming to light?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    lol. Yeah, they would. Of course they are going to send a motion to dismiss. There are certain formality process that even a substandard lawyer would present.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Did sony ever advertise the PS3 as being able to run other os? I mean if they didnt case should be thrown out.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Some say it was advertised, others say it wasn't.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    I can say from working at best buy and target that the sony rep, noone I worked with, nor any guest ever mentioned anything about it. Honestly unless someone can find it in writing from Sony cant say this will go far. I know its cheaper to settle than fight, but sony may go for it.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Sublimely Static
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    I can say from working at best buy and target that the sony rep, noone I worked with, nor any guest ever mentioned anything about it. Honestly unless someone can find it in writing from Sony cant say this will go far. I know its cheaper to settle than fight, but sony may go for it.
    That lies at the heart of the discussion. I myself pointed out months ago, the same thing sony has done. People try to dig up info, from anything including off quotes from third party publications and manuals (people also forget that third party content is shown and advertised on sony's website as well). But as they said in their counter, OtherOS was not advertised in a mass media campaign nor was it on the box. To say that something is not as advertised means that it is.... advertised. The digging and offhand quotes wouldn't be necessary if Sony really did advertise it. They didn't. I pointed that out.... quite some time ago.

problem with this is that according to this

http://ia331218.us.archive.org/2/ite...226894.1.0.pdf

The nature of the case (very first page) does infact revolve around advertised features. Also under the operative facts they list how sony supposedly "marketed" the features for the PS3.

The PS3's DID have this feature, and it worked, for more than 3 years basically. So the argument about it being a deceptive practice for the sake of gaining a sale is false. If you want to use the term "representing" as a loophole, the problem is, that the feature was actually there when it was represented.

Added to that since, agreements are signed and the wording has been clear ever since, there was never any agreement put forth that otherOS was always going to be apart of the console. Or that you would never have to make this choice.

What they want out of this is some sort of compensation, which then again as I stated before, is a figure that is pulled out of the air because there is no value assigned to functions not listed as a feature upon sale.

In the end, this is still a case about how Sony handles their proprietary OS and Service. Because the terms were there from the start and users have always had the chance to read it and decline it and take the issue up with sony.

You remember seebs? He never signed on to the PSN because of the wording of the EULA. He thought it was too lose and didn't want to risk it. That is a perfect example of responsibility on the part of the consumer.
    and

An advertisement is an attempt to sell consumers on something an any form. It doesn't have to be paid. It doesn't have to include profit, Promotional materials for military recruiters are also advertisements, but the main thing it does is try to promote a consumer/interested party to do something.

Again, support materials or anything for consumers that have "already" purchased a device is not advertising. Things given in informative context (except for infomercials and even public product comparisons) also are not advertisements.

It is not about the information, it is about how it is used and who it is directed at.
    take for instance press release during launch

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...4455640&EDATE=

If that had mention of otheros for the PS3, that would have been more valid than anything they presented there.

If they mentioned it in a press release, it would be the black eye that would be needed to fight this case. Other than that it is waste of time.

Which is why these people took it to court, and why so many people think that they are in the right. but even the FTC doesn't absolve the consumer from responsibility. If you hunted down info about a device that was not PRESENTED to you, then it is not going to hold sway as advertisement.

Take for instance you read that sony has some new NM process for thier chips and/or boards. You go out and buy a PS3, open it up, then get mad because it is not the current spec. You cannot take them to court for advertising that hardware feature. It doesn't matter if they talking about it in a tech review or anything of that nature. You purchased what they offered to you.
    Just two of the quotes from my many discussions out there. But as I researched before it really doesn't seem like that advertised feature attack is going to survive because sony really didn't advertise it in mass media, nor was it on the box. The consumer is not supposed to "assume" anything they are only responsible for making sound purchase decisions off of information provided.

But again, that is just my view on the situation and I am sure we will find out eventually.

Master Guru
    Sony just needs to say the Ps3 was meant for gaming. Case dismissed. I don't know anyone who bought their Ps3 to run as a PC.

Superior Member

we'll see what happens. but i never envisioned Sony going any other way. by their own claims, they say that there was info on this on their site. might be interesting especially seeing that Sony is using other consumers views from their message boards to try and justify the decision.
    Last edited by acryllicaltair; 09-21-2010 at 08:59.
    xbox live: AcrylicAltair44

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Did the instruction booklet mention anything about installing another OS? I would assume that would justify as some sort of promoting?

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Did the instruction booklet mention anything about installing another OS? I would assume that would justify as some sort of promoting?
    Not really, other products change features.. but they dont bother removing info from there manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Did sony ever advertise the PS3 as being able to run other os? I mean if they didnt case should be thrown out.
    Not many people I know in real life even know it existed, my PS3 never even listed it as a feature. At first, before I was on the net, the only real way I knew it was there.. was from the "Install OtherOs" link on the PS3 (I didnt read the manual xD)

But I bought teh PS3 for the games, not some silly feature. Plus my PC is a foot away from it. xD

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    I said it from the beginning, these lawsuits will go nowhere, even if not thrown out Sony can surely muscle out a few people... they probably can even muscle out some companies.

Anyway, I don't think it was advertised; remember how we used to complain that Sony adds didn't really convey the message or explained ALL the features it had... heck, they didn't even advertise the free WiFi properly (or at all).
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    The plaintiffs, meanwhile, have requested that Sony turn over internal documents regarding the decision to remove the 'Other OS' feature.
    Good news for the people who work in Sony's shredder department. Loads of overtime!

Super Elite
    My biggest issue with this is if SONY detects a chance of having this get out too much with what they did to the general consumer they'll settle and those doing it will happily take it, it's my only reason for hating the whole thing, I doubt they'll stick to it and actually try to punish SONY for doing something they simply should not have done to Linux users...
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Elite Member
    I love where the article points out that a few of the people who put in a lawsuit never even used the feature.

Sublimely Static
    Sony's motion also said the complaint fails to provide any mass media advertising campaign, statements by SCEA, or PS3 packaging that referenced the 'Other OS' feature.

"Instead, it includes a mix of quotes drawn from obscure articles and unrelated third party publications, and a smattering of out of context and incomplete references to a few pages of SCEA's website and user manual," Sony said.
    I think this says it the loudest. Again people in this thread posted info again from third party sources and had a video of the terrasoft ceo talking about YDL....he doesn't work for sony and him talking about linux on the PS3 doesn't constitute as Sony advertising about linux/otheros, it simply represents terrasoft advertising their own version of linux. It is like trying to sue sony for your nyko controller not working after they disable a feature and then using a nyko ceo interview to try to hold Sony responsible for it. Doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    My biggest issue with this is if SONY detects a chance of having this get out too much with what they did to the general consumer they'll settle and those doing it will happily take it, it's my only reason for hating the whole thing, I doubt they'll stick to it and actually try to punish SONY for doing something they simply should not have done to Linux users...

Still don't get it? It is not only Sony's prerogative to do what they want with their OS in terms of adding or removing features that weren't even advertised for the masses, they did give the options for "linux users" to keep the older firmware. Since you cannot access the PSN from linux that means if you used the PS3 as a dedicated linux box this should not have affected you. So what exactly did sony do to linux users?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Still don't get it? It is not only Sony's prerogative to do what they want with their OS in terms of adding or removing features that weren't even advertised for the masses, they did give the options for "linux users" to keep the older firmware. Since you cannot access the PSN from linux that means if you used the PS3 as a dedicated linux box this should not have affected you. So what exactly did sony do to linux users?
    Dedicated Linux users? Nothing. Users that utilized OtherOS AND the PS3 gaming/movies/PSN features? Plenty.

Elite Sage
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Dedicated Linux users? Nothing. Users that utilized OtherOS AND the PS3 gaming/movies/PSN features? Plenty.
    Yeah, but isn't it simple...

Either you have updated PSN for online use, or Linux as a separate OS...

They give you the choice... If you REALLY want both, buy 2 ps3's...

Can't have your cake and eat it too
    Love United
    --------

gameplaya96
    Again people in this thread posted info again from third party sources and had a video of the terrasoft ceo talking about YDL....he doesn't work for sony and him talking about linux on the PS3 doesn't constitute as Sony advertising about linux/otheros, it simply represents terrasoft advertising their own version of linux.
    I think you've kind of missed the point there; I didn't post it as evidence to win a court case, it simply showed Terrasoft saying they were contracted by Sony to develop a Linux distro for PS3 and further explaining that the PS3 was designed with that functionality in mind. There was also a link to Krazy Ken saying the same things. Sony very clearly WERE marketing the PS3 as being a computer even if they weren't paying for specific advertising in that respect and the courts may take that 'spirit' into account.

I'm not for one moment suggesting Sony were acting unlawfully when they removed Other OS, but it's not for you or any of us to try to mount a defence for them on the grounds of what you deem to be an actual advert. Again, I just want to see Sony's documents about why Other OS was removed, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn it was financially rather than security motivated.

Thread Information