Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC

Just Beat BioShock, Should I Bother With BioShock 2?

Well, I finally got around to playing BioShock and it's definitely a fantastic game that I'll remember for quite some time. Now it seems BioShock 2 is a good game as well, but it was made by a different team and many of the fans seemed to have been disappointed. Should I bother with it or should I just wait for BioShock: Infinite? Does it provide important story information?
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8141&dateline=1432946  501

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    The story and setting is just as memorable in 2. It's still a good game so if you liked 1, then go for it.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

TWISTED METAL
    bioshock 2 is a fantastic game and minervas den (the dlc) was great and the online is very fun
    ofcourse 1 > 2 but still its great
    people just like to *****
    buy it for sure on amazon its like 30$

"The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes."

Mostly Indifferent
    Personally, I didn't see any problems with the second game. Yes, people were miffed by the familar surroundings but I wasn't bothered by that. The story isn't particularly related apart from the fact it involves Plasmids, Adam, Splicers, etc. The story itself I found more engaging than the first game. The father/daughter relationship the player has with Eleanor feels unnatural but it fits well with the whole whacky Bioshock universe.

Saying that however, I came across first Bioshock rather late and it's high regard was lost to me.
    Fap once, still hard? Challenge accepted!

Currently playing: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow | Trine

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    The story in Bioshock 2 falls very short compared to the amazing story and memorable characters of the first game. However, the last few hours of Bioshock 2 is so freaking great that it makes playing the game very well worth it. But do not expect the same connection you had with the first game with this one.

Yes, play the 2nd game.

The Mega Man
    I'm currently playing through the game again on Hard and trying to get to level 40 in the MP for the last 2 trophies needed for Platinum. I have about a week to get them as Fallout: New Vegas will take all my time come the 19th.

I really like the games story and found it to be on par with the first ones. I delayed in getting BS2 till it was on sale and got it for $19.99 a few weeks ago. Well worth that!

~d

IMO, Yahtzee has never been more right about a game than when he called Bioshock 2 "a knock-off piece of s**t".

I made it to about chapter 3 or 4 and couldn't do it anymore. It was just destroying every good memory I had of one of this generation's best games. Don't get me wrong, people who say the game is technically as good or better than the original are correct, but the freshness and uniqueness of the setting was a big part of what made the first game so amazing to me. The sequel just felt far too "been there, done that" with virtually nothing of it's own to make it worth a second visit to Rapture. It really was a huge disappointment to me.

I'm ready to be blown away all over again with Infinite, though.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Bioshock 2 is awesome!

People *****ed about it being in familiar settings. I didn't mind returning to Rapture. Just about every aspect of the gameplay has been improved, hacking, plasmids and abilities, the weapons, the stratergy, and many many more areas of gameplay. You wont regret it

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. Yeah, that's basically what I heard about the game - it's high-quality, but sort of feels redundant and unnecessary.

But I really enjoyed the first game, so I think it might be worth it to play this as well.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8141&dateline=1432946  501

Elite Guru
    If you enjoyed the first, the second is a bit of a no-brainer imo.

PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys. Yeah, that's basically what I heard about the game - it's high-quality, but sort of feels redundant and unnecessary.

But I really enjoyed the first game, so I think it might be worth it to play this as well.
    Technically 2 makes 1 feel redundant IMHO. Duel wielding weapons and plasmids FTW.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    comadrake
    I just finished Bioshock 1 about 2 days ago. I love the game, the story is good and graphics still look awesome. The ending was a bit pants tho, so blunt. I started the Bioshock 2 straight after and find it to be more of a challenge. The story Is much better, seems better written. New weapons are awesome and I love the drill. Its quite amazing I got both these games preowned for 10 each! Bargain ftw!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Online is decent, its not as good as say Killzone 2 and that - but it is no way bad in any way.

The one part that has me disliking it, is no back tracking. I went around after I beat it in B1 to find anything I have missed.

But Im also one of those ones that didnt find B1 all that amazing, so my opinion isnt that great.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Fallout4HorizonDeusExMDUncharted4KingdomHearts3

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    I liked the original more than the sequel to be honest, but BioShock 2 is still worth playing.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
    IMO, Yahtzee has never been more right about a game than when he called Bioshock 2 "a knock-off piece of s**t".

I made it to about chapter 3 or 4 and couldn't do it anymore. It was just destroying every good memory I had of one of this generation's best games. Don't get me wrong, people who say the game is technically as good or better than the original are correct, but the freshness and uniqueness of the setting was a big part of what made the first game so amazing to me. The sequel just felt far too "been there, done that" with virtually nothing of it's own to make it worth a second visit to Rapture. It really was a huge disappointment to me.

I'm ready to be blown away all over again with Infinite, though.
    What he said exactly. I couldn't say it better. Also can't wait for Infinite.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rhayne View Post
    Technically 2 makes 1 feel redundant IMHO. Duel wielding weapons and plasmids FTW.
    Eh, that didn't make the combat better IMO. The gameplay was a tad bit more generic because of some of the additions. I suppose it made the game more exciting on an action level, but the first game wasn't all about action. Which is basically why 2 wasn't as good, it was Bioshock with amped up action and dumbed down atmosphere and story. It basically tried to improve the things that weren't the focus of the original or the things that made it great.

Anyway, 2 is good, but not as good as 1. If you liked 1 though you will love 2. Online mode was actually interesting to me.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Judging from the general consensus, it seems I'll have to play BioShock 2 at some point in the future. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Master Sage
    Honestly? No.

I expected to go into Bioshock 2 and have it be exactly like the original but bigger and better. However, I was left disappointed. The team behind the game have obviously put a lot of thought and effort into trying to recreate the experience but fall short by quite a distance. It's good to visit Rapture again and see some all-new locations but it's like it's lost it's charm and charisma. And playing as a Big Daddy - albeit the original one - isn't as good as you'd expect it to be. Saying all that, though, the multiplayer can be quite good fun even if it does feel like it's tacked on.

In the end, it's entirely up to you. It's your money, your opinion - do a bit of research and see what you think.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Apprentice

As many have stated its not as good as Bioshock 1, but give it a chance and dont go expecting it to be as good as the first one.

PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Man, I finally platinumed Bioshock and have moved onto Bioshock 2, and only on the first 20 minutes I remember how much I enjoyed this game. It's going to be an enjoyable time getting the last trophies..until I get to the online ones haha.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacJack View Post
    Eh, that didn't make the combat better IMO. The gameplay was a tad bit more generic because of some of the additions. I suppose it made the game more exciting on an action level, but the first game wasn't all about action. Which is basically why 2 wasn't as good, it was Bioshock with amped up action and dumbed down atmosphere and story. It basically tried to improve the things that weren't the focus of the original or the things that made it great.
    I totally agree with you here. The gunplay and the combat in general was crap in Bioshock but it didn't really matter. They improved it in the sequel, but it wasn't enough to take it from bad to good, nowhere near. And Andrew Ryan wasn't in it (for as long as I played it).

Master Sage
    The storyline was nowhere as gripping as the original. Bioshock 1 had me hooked right from the start to the very end, and so many twists and turns. Bioshock 2 lacked all that.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Supreme Veteran
    I never finished BioShock 2, it was good, but after playing the first game, it just felt boring.

Forum Elder
    I much prefered Bioshock 2, I just found it flowed better and I didn't put the game down. Bioshock used to annoy me at times a little.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Plain and simple. If you liked 1 I don't see any reason you shouldn't like 2. It is also a very good game just a little different in it's own aspects.

Thread Information