Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

New DMC is actually a prequel?

The reaction to Dante's new look for the Devil May Cry reboot had Capcom asking, "Why so serious?" The publisher's VP of Strategic Planning and Biz Dev. Christian Svensson told IGN that the company knew Dante's new look would bring a "knee-jerk reaction from fans." He said, "To be fair, I think some of the strategy here was to create that discussion and dialogue, and I think it drastically raises the visibility of the title versus if we had just done another Dante."

He explained the original concepts that came back for the new Dante were too close to the flamboyant source material. Capcom's Keiji Inafune and Hideaki Itsuno weren't having any of that and told the team to, according to Svensson, be "much more creative." Svensson explains that, "This is meant to be an origin story, so this is Dante before you knew who Dante was." Wait, you mean he was more than that guy with the white hair, wearing a red leather trench coat? Surprising, 'cause that's all we can seem to remember about him.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/21/ca...cs-visibility/

A prequel to a prequel. It doesn't make sense wasn't, Devil May Cry 3 the story of Dante during his youth?. I get the feeling that they're doing this on purpose to ease the fan reaction against the new, Dante.

Like someone said on, Joystiq. If they want to make an origin of, Devil May cry, they should start with the story of, Sparda and how he separated both worlds.

I'm a real boy!
    Would have been a much better explanation to say that it's Dante's son in the future. That would, y'know, explain the robots.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yeh when they showed the look and explained about the game they said it was a prequel but that got buried in the reaction of how he looked. DMC 3 was a prequel, but is not as far back as this game is suppose to be. So just another prequel as they basing it of the entire DMC series and not just DMC3.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    For some reason I semi predicted that this would turn out being a prequel.
    While I am not feeling the new look all that much, OK OK, at all.
    It would be nice to see them take the Dante they created that so many people sofar seam to be hating and watch him turn into the Dante we all know.
    That could be interesting IF thats what they are planning.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Guru
    I don't know how DMC could be anything but some sort of a prequel. What did Dante just suddenly hit rough times, and turned to drugs or something? What a mess.

Apprentice

They don't have to state when the game is taking place, just take out and change that anorexic emo who tries
    to act cool by smoking. And when they try to create a new character design this time they should really try, not copy the
    image of someone who already exists. Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades "chief design" lol.
    orig_10439_1_1285149703.jpg

Last edited by AB12; 10-22-2010 at 05:53.

7. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I don't know how DMC could be anything but some sort of a prequel. What did Dante just suddenly hit rough times, and turned to drugs or something? What a mess.
    His favorite pizza shop closed down and he just flipped OUT!!!! lmao

Well it always could've just been a different "Dante"

AB12,
    LMAO, Loved it.
    Last edited by faaeng; 10-22-2010 at 05:54.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Elite Member
    The reaction to Dante's new look for the Devil May Cry reboot had Capcom asking, "Why so serious?" The publisher's VP of Strategic Planning and Biz Dev.
    Why is Capcom not releasing SSF4 for the PC? Umm....why so...serious?

They want people to drop some $$$ on this game and then asked, "Why so serious?" Oh Capcom u so silly.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    if they made Dante look and act like dante, i'd buy it.

DMC3, he had white hair.. still a bad ***. Was also young in that one.

He had white hair, IIRC, when he was a baby too.

So, as it stands, this is a PASS. DMC4 would of been good, if Nero wasnt in it

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Looks like Im the only one that actually like the new look.

But thats mainly because I don't like Dante. He looks like a bad ***, but acts like the most annoying frat boy I have ever seen.
    Fun Games, but I had to mute the dialogue. I can't stand to hear him talk.

Why are the pretty ones always so dumb!

The new look is kind of UK punk. So if he acts like a jack *** he at least looks the part.

Elite Guru
    goes to show you what crack can do to a demon slayer.

All-Knowing RPG Tyrant
    this was posted in another thread and I'm going to post here what I did there. This is bull. "Dante before you knew Dante" is a cluless cop out excuse and if he actually knew what he was talking about he'd know we KNOW what Dante looked like as a kid and he had white hair back then.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Makes sense - Dante was a emo kid before someone took that stick out his *** and kicked his *** which in turn made Dante hit puberty and grow into a badass for DMC1. Makes sense.
    Last edited by 33x; 10-24-2010 at 12:57. Reason: Removed word peeps may take offensive to

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    this was posted in another thread and I'm going to post here what I did there. This is bull. "Dante before you knew Dante" is a cluless cop out excuse and if he actually knew what he was talking about he'd know we KNOW what Dante looked like as a kid and he had white hair back then.
    Exactly. **** Ninja Theory and mutha**** Capcom too. They are fools to think anyone gives a gotdamn about ****ing white hair. Lame *** story. I wanted the story to continue and not go backwards for a 3rd time. They must have a hard time trying to continue the story after that **** up of a game[DMC2].

If this game happens to be any fun, I'll glady buy it used. They won't get a dime of my money.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Super Elite
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    Indeed. It also doesn't help that Dante's new look is just a cheap Gary sue self insert by that douche Tameem Antoniades.
    Proud FFXI Player, Fenrir server.

PSN ID
    Kalas4000
    Ok time to lay down the facts first off lets start with Dante's story

Dante was born with his twin brother both had white hair taking after their father. Eve their mother was a human who was killed by demons. Their father Sparda was a demon who defeated mundas a demon who try to take over with his sword force edge

DMC if its a prequel than it takes a huge ass dump on the series. Want to know why lets get it on

In DMC Dante is a human/angel but it clearly states in the other games hes half human/half demon. In DMC sparda is enslaved by munda which isnt true at all because sparda defeated mundas and his son Dante finsh it the job

Cleary if this is a prequel than this New DMC is a full on asshole lie. Ninja theory doesnt know everything about DMC they just got bored a few feet of reading and said

OH SCREW THIS LETS MAKE IT OUR OWN WAY

And ninja has been known to be a pretty sucky gaming company

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    The real question is...is it a fun game to play? So far, it is. I was super-pissed when Resident Evil 4 came out so different from the previous games, but it turned out to be a lot of fun to play (until the series ditched survival-horror for good with RE5).

Shut up and play games

Elite Guru
    I remember reading this article but it was months ago. before they revealed things like His devil trigger and the change from the mental torture/reality-not real preview trailers.

It seems to me that they realized they were too far away from what DMC was supposed to be and actually reverted BACK to some of those things because of the backlash. there are several videos of footage from the game as it is presently and it comes across as if they just forced all that prequel noise out an airlock to make room for a more "familiar badass Dante". The problem is it's still a mess of bad writing and horrible attempts to make him seem like the real Dante and it just makes for a horrible groan inducing pile of schlock. It might be cool graphically and it still seems to play like a regular DMC game just with a bad setting and story, which seems to fly in the face of what the article claims they were going for.... and that = fail.

I don't hate Ninja Theory for this though. They were told to do something creative and they tried, they went out on a limb and it broke, I blame capcom more because it's THEIR failure to properly handle this franchise that's lead to this. Heavenly Sword is far better than ANYONE gives it credit for and Enslaved was a really cool idea that was executed a bit unevenly. DMC though is a horse created by committee... a camel.

Here are a couple of good vidoes on the subject:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-ii...eature=related
    Last edited by Alpha2; 11-23-2012 at 07:51.

Dedicated Member
    Honestly as someone who has never played a Devil May Cry game and somewhat of a fan of Ninja Theory I think DMC is looking great. It really is it's own thing... I see it as Ninja Theory making a new hack-n-slash game and it's fun to play and a interesting take on the whole angels and demons thing.

Apprentice
    Come on guys, let's just move on. I'm a big DMC fan too, but what can we do? Complaining won't help. And to be honest, DMC's story was ALL OVER THE PLACE. I was so happy that Nero was in DMC4 because he added a new layer of gameplay and story. The best DMC game of the original four ones is DMC3 though. Best action game ever created in my opinion.

What you guys must understand is that this is NOT a prequel. It is a reboot, a re-imagination of Devil May Cry in a completely new setting. The setting is our real world. And they didn't go too far by saying that bankers, businessmen, big pharma etc. are "demons". Take it as a metapher, but still - these are very very very evil people. And they took that theme and made it into the new DMC. I like that. They take current issues in our world and transform it into a nice game. I played the demo and had to adapt to the new controls (and the framerate could've been a bit better but they'll fix it, I'm sure) but besides that - it looked great.

In this game, Dante is nephilim. He is the child of a demon and an angel, NOT a demon and a human. Why the $#@! he looks human though, I don't know. Maybe angels look kinda like humans. Who the hell knows...

Stop whining and $#@!ing and either play the game or leave it.

Super Elite
    Remember how they said it was a prequel? Then a reboot? then an alternate dimension?

It's all of these. A few days back a play-tester went ahead and revealed the entire story on 4chan, and while it can obviously be false much of what he was saying seemed to line up very well with what has already been established in trailers. Read on if you want to know, stop now if you want to wait. And remember, it can all be false.

First off - the morality in the game is pretty terrible. Donte kills...Mundus? Moodus? Some guy whose name begins with an M, and he slowly murders Moodus/Moomoo/Mundus's children and forces him to eat them.

Other $#@!ed up $#@!.

Vergil turns into a demon T-Rex thing

Demon/Angel guardians from the future have come back to protect something and created an alternate dimension in which a new Donte exists

Game ends on a cliff-hanger with Donte smirking at some portal or whatever and walking into it. In this portal is a silhouette of Dante--it is heavily implied Donte and Dante will meet and become allies.

I'm just giving snippets of what I remember, but people in the thread at the time who were big DMC fans (I don't care about the series) seemed to know what was going on, and were laughing and freaking out both at once.

But yeah. This game is going to cause a $#@!storm.

EDIT: While the thread is still active, read on: http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/163729747

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Or you know, just have some balls to admit its a reboot.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    Remember how they said it was a prequel? Then a reboot? then an alternate dimension?

It's all of these. A few days back a play-tester went ahead and revealed the entire story on 4chan, and while it can obviously be false much of what he was saying seemed to line up very well with what has already been established in trailers. Read on if you want to know, stop now if you want to wait. And remember, it can all be false.

First off - the morality in the game is pretty terrible. Donte kills...Mundus? Moodus? Some guy whose name begins with an M, and he slowly murders Moodus/Moomoo/Mundus's children and forces him to eat them.

Other $#@!ed up $#@!.

Vergil turns into a demon T-Rex thing

Demon/Angel guardians from the future have come back to protect something and created an alternate dimension in which a new Donte exists

Game ends on a cliff-hanger with Donte smirking at some portal or whatever and walking into it. In this portal is a silhouette of Dante--it is heavily implied Donte and Dante will meet and become allies.

I'm just giving snippets of what I remember, but people in the thread at the time who were big DMC fans (I don't care about the series) seemed to know what was going on, and were laughing and freaking out both at once.

But yeah. This game is going to cause a $#@!storm.

EDIT: While the thread is still active, read on: http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/163729747
    Sounds like a big bomb of a $#@! game.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I don't get the hate for the reboot tbh, the original games started getting stale a long time ago..a lick of fresh paint is just what it needs IMO.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Quote Originally Posted by MBS D@v!d View Post
    Come on guys, let's just move on. I'm a big DMC fan too, but what can we do? Complaining won't help. And to be honest, DMC's story was ALL OVER THE PLACE. I was so happy that Nero was in DMC4 because he added a new layer of gameplay and story. The best DMC game of the original four ones is DMC3 though. Best action game ever created in my opinion.

What you guys must understand is that this is NOT a prequel. It is a reboot, a re-imagination of Devil May Cry in a completely new setting. The setting is our real world. And they didn't go too far by saying that bankers, businessmen, big pharma etc. are "demons". Take it as a metapher, but still - these are very very very evil people. And they took that theme and made it into the new DMC. I like that. They take current issues in our world and transform it into a nice game. I played the demo and had to adapt to the new controls (and the framerate could've been a bit better but they'll fix it, I'm sure) but besides that - it looked great.

In this game, Dante is nephilim. He is the child of a demon and an angel, NOT a demon and a human. Why the $#@! he looks human though, I don't know. Maybe angels look kinda like humans. Who the hell knows...

Stop whining and $#@!ing and either play the game or leave it.
    1. I'm a big DMC fan too, but what can we do? Complaining won't help.
    dont support the piece of $#@! by not buying it

2. DMC's story was ALL OVER THE PLACE
    it was not,out of sequence? sure. but it had a story, it went DMC 3,1,2,4. Get it right.

3.What you guys must understand is that this is NOT a prequel. It is a reboot..
    Seems everyone here agrees with that,the developers,however are trying to make long term fans feel better by saying that it is a prequel which is the reason for this thread so why even make this statement in your post.

4.It is a reboot, a re-imagination of Devil May Cry in a completely new setting
    That is the reason fans are pissed. By this logic we should accept a reboot of Mario where he is a black gardener saving his petunias from the evil caterpillar empire,a Zelda where Link is swimming Goron that has to destroy Life Mountain,a Metroid where this little alien boy named Samus helps his ppl invade Earth and destroy all life. My point is if fans are happy with the current franchise,you don't F it in the B with a reboot.

5.In this game, Dante is nephilim. He is the child of a demon and an angel, NOT a demon and a human.
    Then that ain't Dante,Sparda,his father,was a demon and his mother was human. nuff said

6.Stop whining and $#@!ing and either play the game or leave it
    Looks like most ppl here will NOT be getting it,so again, why even put this in your post
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

27. Likes Mael Duin likes this post

Thread Information