Latest PSU headlines:

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 61626 ... LastLast
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They simply can't be stopped in NA.

Soldier 95B
    Indeed. I just wish the success they have had in North America, as well as Europe, would translate over into Japan. But, it didn't happen in Japan with Xbox 1, it didn't happen with Xbox 360, and it won't happen with Xbox 3.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    More push in EUR + dominance in NA would negate JPN.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    More push in EUR + dominance in NA would negate JPN.
    Press R2 in Sons Of liberty while in a codec transmission to hear Snakes thoughts on this subject.

on topic, good for green in october

PS, didn't realised there was a thread just for Sales & Numbers.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

DJDJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    They aren't buying it only because it's an American console. And partially why they don't wanna buy an American console has nothing to do with patriotic or prejudicial reasons.
    If they are not buying it because it's an American console then what is the reason? Because it's not a Japanese console?
    Last edited by DJDJ; 11-12-2011 at 22:10.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DJDJ View Post
    If they are not buying it because it's an American console then what is the reason? Because it's not a Japanese console?
    That's a big part of the reason. Japan didn't like MS getting into the console business back when they announced the xbox. A lot of them though MS wasn't serious and they would just do xbox, make some money and then exit. At least that's what i got from my experience over there.

Soldier 95B
    I know a few friends and family in Japan and they said that Japan is not fond of American products. Though they like our colleges.

Extreme Poster
    No.

Their tastes are different and they don't trust in American engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That's a big part of the reason. Japan didn't like MS getting into the console business back when they announced the xbox. A lot of them though MS wasn't serious and they would just do xbox, make some money and then exit. At least that's what i got from my experience over there.
    That's probably partially it but I think they wouldn't care if 360 had the games they wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I know a few friends and family in Japan and they said that Japan is not fond of American products. Though they like our colleges.
    Think about it. Why do they like American colleges? Why would anyone like American colleges? Because they're good!

Soldier 95B
    No.

Indeed. And I am trusting Japanese engineering less and less lately. Not all things, mostly cars and electronics.

Extreme Poster
    Electronics? Why?

Soldier 95B
    Have had bad experiences with them.

Extreme Poster
    You must be unlucky because they make the best shit out there.

DJDJ
    No.

Not completely taken over it's not like the Japanese and their refusal to buy an American console.
    Same thing isnt it?

Extreme Poster
    Same thing isnt it?
    For the most part. The difference is the common belief in America that Japanese don't buy American products because they don't like Americans.

I don't think that's the reason, it's due to the quality. A positive example would be the iPod and I'm inclined to believe that they love Americans 1) They love American music from the 60s (fact). 2) They love western influences in general (classical music, western instruments, pop) 3) They like to hire American celebs for their commercials on a general basis.

I can look up more information but I don't think there's any patriotism involved here. Maybe a minority but who doesn't have those?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yip, they make them China, like everyone else.

Asustek and Foxconn say Hello, we manufacture your console not Sony.
    Foxconn also says "Hello" we manufacture your 360 as well.
    Last edited by mynd; 11-13-2011 at 08:53.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Soldier 95B
    We will have to agree to disagree.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

i was going to say, don't american and Japanese electronics get made in the cheapest place and then have a badge put on?

Extreme Poster
    Yes I know everything is made in China and assembled in Mexico now but the point is that Japanese electronics have always been top notch, in a factual sort of way. Go ahead and disagree with me but that's the truth.

Even if they get it manufactured in some other country, it doesn't change the fact that they design it themselves.

Soldier 95B
    I would not say factual but I could see in your experience.

Super Elite
    Well, a good example of Japanese>American electronics would be the reliability of the PS3 and Wii vs the 360
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yes I know everything is made in China and assembled in Mexico now but the point is that Japanese electronics have always been top notch, in a factual sort of way. Go ahead and disagree with me but that's the truth.

Even if they get it manufactured in some other country, it doesn't change the fact that they design it themselves.
    And at the heart of all of them you will find chips from Motorola, AMD, Intel, and IBM.
    Usually at least 2nd generation tried and tested chips at that.
    I've never expected anything leading edge and inovative from out of Japan, just reliable and "average" copies.
    I trust their stuff to work, Ive just never been excited by any of it.
    Look how far NEC had fallen behind the times.

Sony Walkman for example..who invented that again....?
    Last edited by mynd; 11-14-2011 at 01:25.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Well, a good example of Japanese>American electronics would be the reliability of the PS3 and Wii vs the 360
    The PS2 had a problem similar in scale that the 360 did early on.... does that mean American > JPN ?
    smh

You're also comparing the reliability of an issue that isn't an issue any longer, to the entire lifetime of the other two consoles... you don't make much sense.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

Not necessarily. Sometimes that is the case, other times it isn't.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Everything is made in China, even Americans.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Generally where it isnt the case, is where Sony are loosing money.

Dec 2010
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T101203004489.htm
    Sony's choice could mean a financial setback for Sharp, which initially sought to provide domestic and foreign electronics manufacturers, including Sony, with panels manufactured at a Sharp LCD factory in Sakai, Osaka Prefecture, according to observers.

Sony now intends to increase the percentage of lcd panels it purchases from Taiwan manufacturers. The company's move can be seen as an unavoidable decision to shore up its TV production business; however, it could undermine the international competitiveness of domestically produced LCD panels, the observers said.

In February 2008, when demand for flat-panel TVs was rapidly growing, Sony decided to jointly operate Sharp's Sakai factory through investment in the facility. The stable procurement of TV panels was "a top priority" for Sony, former President Ryoji Chubachi said.

However, after the economic downturn following the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holding Inc. in autumn 2008, sales of flat-panel TVs rapidly declined in North America and Japan. The realization of Sony's goal of moving its TV business into the black by fiscal 2010, proclaimed by Chairman and President Howard Stringer, became unlikely and further cost cuts became necessary in the industry.

For Sony, which is accelerating its market development efforts in such emerging countries as China and India, strengthening its price competitiveness is a crucial task.

For that reason, Sony focused on revising its procurement of TV panels--which account for about 70 percent of a set's manufacturing cost--as an effective and immediate means of cutting costs. The company ultimately decided to increase the percentage of panels it obtains from Taiwan, which offers both low prices and flexible supply.

Sony will increase the percentage of panels it buys from Taiwan manufacturers AU Optronics Corp. and Chimei Innolux Corp. from the current 30 percent to around 50 percent. It will not purchase more from Sharp for a while.
    Nov 2011
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/son...joint-venture/
    Sony is reportedly selling some or all of its share of the Sony-Samsung LCD joint venture, which started years ago, when LCD was booming. Both companies started working together in 2004 as Sony realized that Samsung had advanced manufacturing and great intellectual property in that field. Sony brought cash that was crucial to build more and more advanced plants optimized for large TV displays. Each company contributed $1.8B to the venture.Despite all these efforts, Sony’s Television business has yet to turn a profit, and with LCD prices falling, Sony has probably figured out that it should better be on the demand-side as a customer, than a supply-side as a joint manufacturer. While this may lower the cost for Sony and free some cash, this effectively means that Sony is out of the LCD manufacturing technology race, and although it may continue to do research and development, it would have a hard time to ramp up a production line that could rival Samsung and LG.
    So you can cross LCD TV's as being "Sony Manufactured" now.
    its an increasing trend, and one that would have to put doubt in anyone who truley belives in "Japanese electronics".
    Last edited by mynd; 11-14-2011 at 01:43.

Thread Information