Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 71727 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Generally where it isnt the case, is where Sony are loosing money.

Dec 2010
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T101203004489.htm

Nov 2011
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/son...joint-venture/

So you can cross LCD TV's as being "Sony Manufactured" now.
    its an increasing trend, and one that would have to put doubt in anyone who truley belives in "Japanese electronics".
    Last I checked Sony isn't the only Jap. company.

Also the samsung thing is old news. If it wasn't for that sony's tv production would have folded a long time ago.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Can we now get back to discussing XBOX 360 SALES NUMBERS?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would not say factual but I could see in your experience.
    I would say fact.

“Made in Japan” gadgets, once cheap and flaky, ended up as world leaders in quality, humiliating America’s electronics industry along the way.
    http://www.economist.com/node/13059765

[
    quote]By the 1980s, a relatively small number of industries dominated Japan's international trade and investment interaction with the rest of the world.[/quote]
    The Japanese consumer electronics industry is one of the most prominent industries in the world and is the world's largest electronics manufacturer by companies

With a high concentration of electronics companies, dominant global market share in electronics, and high quality of its products, Japan is the largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world.
    [1] Japanese companies have a reputation for high quality and innovation, having introduced products such as the Sony Walkman and VHS recorder.Japan's success overpowered the United States consumer electronics industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics_industry_in_Japan

Y
    ou have anecdotal evidence, I have factual evidence.

As for mynd, you're saying that Japan has little innovation? ha ha ha ha.

ha.

Japan is recognized for its technological innovation and enhancements more than other nations. It is actually a major nation in scientific investigation and is also well known for its research in technologies and machinery. It’s got more than 7 hundred thousand scientists, who reveal a US $130 billion spending budget, which is the 3rd greatest spending budget for research in the planet. Japan has created notable contributions in the subject of technology in electronics, machinery, cars and metals and semiconductors.
    [quote]Japanese electronics corporations are so well-known for his or her high quality that quite a few nearby providers collaborate with them and indulge in technologies sharing, concepts sharing and come up with superior good quality items for the end client.[/quote]
    http://www.inbb.org/quality-of-electronics-made-in-japan

A
    gain, there's a freaking damn good reason why we learn JAPANESE business concepts in business schools. They know what the $#@! they're doing.

Companies like IBM are business. They also have one of the largest foreign employees. They attract people from outside, the best talents worldwide, they're a business! They don't represent Americans as far as quality assurance and innovation. Their engineers consist of Indians and Asians that are straight out of those countries. Do you realize how many visas they sponsor every year? Last time I checked, one of the largest in the united states.

They represent democracy and the business-minded people in America, nothing more.

NEC isn't the only company out there, I'm not focusing on chip manufacturing companies out there, I'm talking about Japan as a whole.

Anyway, the point is, when Americans catch up in quality and actually start to understand their cultures (come out with content they will enjoy), these people will buy them...it's as simple as that. It doesn't have much to do with patriotism. (not saying you said that but the general sentiment around here)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    As for mynd, you're saying that Japan has little innovation? ha ha ha ha.

ha.

[quote]Japanese electronics corporations are so well-known for his or her high quality that quite a few nearby providers collaborate with them and indulge in technologies sharing, concepts sharing and come up with superior good quality items for the end client.
    http://www.inbb.org/quality-of-electronics-made-in-japan

A
    gain, there's a freaking damn good reason why we learn JAPANESE business concepts in business schools. They know what the $#@! they're doing.

Companies like IBM are business. They also have one of the largest foreign employees. They attract people from outside, the best talents worldwide, they're a business! They don't represent Americans as far as quality assurance and innovation. Their engineers consist of Indians and Asians that are straight out of those countries. Do you realize how many visas they sponsor every year? Last time I checked, one of the largest in the united states.

They represent democracy and the business-minded people in America, nothing more.

NEC isn't the only company out there, I'm not focusing on chip manufacturing companies out there, I'm talking about Japan as a whole.

Anyway, the point is, when Americans catch up in quality and actually start to understand their cultures (come out with content they will enjoy), these people will buy them...it's as simple as that. It doesn't have much to do with patriotism. (not saying you said that but the general sentiment around here)
    Your living in the past. What may have once been true, is not the case any longer.
    And Im not all comparing it to American made product, I would buy a product based on it being made in America at all.

I'm telling you Japan has to compete with the rest of Asia, and Asia has taken everything theyt have from Japanese busniness practices (JIT etc) and combined it with one thing Japan cant...cheap labour. Cheap intelligent labour to boot.

http://www.rer.co.uk/emf/asia.shtml
    Last edited by mynd; 11-14-2011 at 09:31.

Forum Overseer
    Your living in the past. What may have once been true, is not the case any longer.
    And Im not all comparing it to American made product, I would buy a product based on it being made in America at all.

I'm telling you Japan has to compete with the rest of Asia, and Asia has taken everything theyt have form Japanese busniness practices (JIT etc) and combined it with one thing Japan cant...cheap labour. Cheap intelligent labour to boot.
    No I agree with that other than the fact that cheap labor also comes with cheap product quality. Though, to reduce costs, I see some Japanese products being assembled in cheaper countries.

They have to stay competitive. Quality isn't priority #1 anymore, price is also a huge factor now. Japanese products are still superior but they have a hard time competing with prices.

But yea, let's get back on topic, which started with 360 sales in Japan. I guess we're done with that.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    No I agree with that other than the fact that cheap labor also comes with cheap product quality. Though, to reduce costs, I see some Japanese products being assembled in cheaper countries.

They have to stay competitive. Quality isn't priority #1 anymore, price is also a huge factor now. Japanese products are still superior but they have a hard time competing with prices.

But yea, let's get back on topic, which started with 360 sales in Japan. I guess we're done with that.
    But there isnt much to say about 360 in Japan

Except...

Soldier 95B
    Xbox 360 records the biggest week in Xbox history

I just got in some great news about Xbox sales over the Holiday weekend that I wanted to share with you.

Here are the details directly from a notice we just sent to press:

Entering the seventh year of its lifecycle, Xbox 360 just closed the biggest sales week in the history of Xbox, selling more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday.

Microsoft’s retail partners are equally excited about our sales performance this holiday.

“We have seen tremendous excitement from customers for our hot holiday gaming offers,” said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager of Home Entertainment at Best Buy. “Xbox 360 was among the best-sellers at Best Buy this Black Friday, and is a testament to the continued popularity of the gaming category this holiday.”

Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data) More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)
    http://majornelson.com/2011/11/29/xbox-360-records-the-biggest-week-in-xbox-history/

W
    OW. That is crazy.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/29/xbox-360-records-the-biggest-week-in-xbox-history/

W
    OW. That is crazy.
    Holy $#@! 960,000.
    Thats going to give them a bit of a boost.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    $#@!! Great numbers right there. Kinect is still a hot item.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    WOW! Amazing numbers!

Forum Elder
    Holy $#@! 960,000.
    Thats going to give them a bit of a boost.
    these are some crazy figures.
    • Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
    • More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The PS2 had a problem similar in scale that the 360 did early on.... does that mean American > JPN ?
    smh

You're also comparing the reliability of an issue that isn't an issue any longer, to the entire lifetime of the other two consoles... you don't make much sense.
    It wasn't similar in scale.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    That's actually quite incredible, and considering the amount of Kinect's sold it's clear that a much more casual audience is snapping up these Xbox's. Kinect adventures and dance-whatever sales are gonna skyrocket over Christmas

No way Sony is getting that 2nd place with Xbox's grip on the US

Soldier 95B
    A million consoles in a week. That is like early Wii sales.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Yeah. I remember someone posted how close the PS3 was to the 360 in terms of units sold. If Sony didn't have those type of numbers, then we definitely will not see the PS3 over take the 360 in early 2012.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    That's actually quite incredible, and considering the amount of Kinect's sold it's clear that a much more casual audience is snapping up these Xbox's. Kinect adventures and dance-whatever sales are gonna skyrocket over Christmas

Sony doesn't need to beat Microsoft's number as long as they sell their console at a healthy rate.

Soldier 95B
    I am not on the payroll for either company, so I don't care who is in first or second. What I DO care about is obtaining great consoles and great games from both companies. In order for that to happen, BOTH need to be successful. And more importantly, BOTH need competition in order to get better, and innovate for the sake of the consumer.

Forum Sage
    I just want more Uncharted. =D

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    this is why I say it's stupid for MS to cut the price of the 360. Even if they were to be outsold by the ps3, they would still make more money.

Apprentice

Xbox 360 records the biggest week in Xbox history.

I just got in some great news about Xbox sales over the Holiday weekend that I wanted to share with you.

Here are the details directly from a notice we just sent to press:

Entering the seventh year of its lifecycle, Xbox 360 just closed the biggest sales week in the history of Xbox, selling more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday.

Microsoft’s retail partners are equally excited about our sales performance this holiday.

“We have seen tremendous excitement from customers for our hot holiday gaming offers,” said Chris Homeister, senior vice president and general manager of Home Entertainment at Best Buy. “Xbox 360 was among the best-sellers at Best Buy this Black Friday, and is a testament to the continued popularity of the gaming category this holiday.”

Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
    More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)

# # #

So thank you for being a part of Xbox 360’s continued success.
    http://majornelson.com/2011/11/29/xb...-xbox-history/

I'm one of those 750,000 gamers who bought a Kinect this week.

I don't expect the next Xbox to come out anytime soon if the sales are still this strong.
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”― Oscar Wilde

Dedicated Member
    That is good news for MS, but how many of those are replacements etc? For example, I know two of my friends who purchased one as theirs had broken.

I'm not trolling, I would say the same if it was PS3.
    Last edited by Steve; 11-30-2011 at 22:27.

Super Elite

The consoles had big sale prices in the US. The following prices were in effect last Friday for most stores (Nov 25, 2011):
    $200 - 160GB PS3 with R&C all 4 one + LBP 2
    $100 - Wii black console
    $200 - 4GB Xbox 360 Kinect bundle
    $200 - 250GB Xbox 360 holiday bundle which included halo reach and fable 3
    $100 - Kinect sensor with Kinect Adventures, Fruit Ninja Kinect, and Gunstringer

There were also other random "flash sales" such as one that buy.com put onto Ebay for the 250GB Kinect holiday bundle for $260 (only had 1,500 at this price):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400257628137...84.m1439.l2649

Sony lowered the price to match MS but the console just isn't as popular in the US and lets face it, a 4GB console with Kinect is a damn good deal when you consider that Kinect by itself normally costs $150 and was/is on sale for $100 (making the 4GB console either $50 or $100 depending on how you look at it). Plus there are ways to use the old hard drives in thew new slim model (have to take off 8 screws - there are youtube videos). At Best Buy (electronics chain in the US) almost everyone was carrying around a 360. I saw one person with a Wii and one person with a PS3.

Last year Sony did terrible sales number during the holiday season and had to give retailers $100 the weekend before Christmas (all retailers for the weekend before Christmas in the US offered a PS3 at full price with a $100 gift card). I'm guessing Sony didn't learn much of a lesson so they'll probably have to do something similar this year. They should have matched the Xbox $100 sale price, not lowered the price by $50.
    Last edited by Typical guy; 11-30-2011 at 15:13.

Forum Elder
    No surprise there for the amazing Xbox 360 sales. Close to one million... wow !

Microsoft deals were better, i would have bought the 4Gb Xbox with kinect in a heartbeat if i was looking for a console to buy.

Now i want to know what Sony numbers are...

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by ddPLaNeT View Post
    No surprise there for the amazing Xbox 360 sales. Close to one million... wow !

Microsoft deals were better, i would have bought the 4Gb Xbox with kinect in a heartbeat if i was looking for a console to buy.

Now i want to know what Sony numbers are...
    I don't know how many systems they sold but I'm sure they sold a lot of controllers since some stores were selling them for $35 and I think some online were going for $20. Uncharted 3 and some other really new games were on sale for $30 so I'm sure there was a ton of software sales.

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    Replacements are nothing really much to do with it - the discounting to $139 for the 4GB Unit and $199 Kinect + 4GB Unit were mainly what drove sales like mad as evidenced by the whopping 800,000 units sold within 24 hours. People want Kinect - they love the concept (even if the execution is slightly average) and combined with the stunning Microsoft advertising creating hype for the Xbox brand and Kinect people are buying in droves as evidenced by the massive units sold via the price-cut.

Microsoft have done well with the Kinect. In the next Xbox Kinect will be even more advanced (just like Xbox Live on Xbox 360 took a massive leap forward from the original Xbox) and the concept is so future-orientated. Furthermore and importantly it is an easy-sell to the casual consumer for the marketeers at/working for Microsoft.

With sales like this you really do wonder whether Microsoft will bother releasing the next Xbox sometime during late 2012. But with the brand strentgh at an all-time high maybe this is exactly the best time to do it. Microsoft are looking in great shape for both a strong finish to this generation and a great start to the next.

Are Microsoft now the best-positioned going into the next-generation and thus going to win the next-generation war? I would say yes it is looking highly likely thanks to great branding/marketing and innovative future orientated concepts such as Kinect which add excitement and uniqueness to the product offering.

Of course having Xbox Live and being the FPS console of choice has helped but it only further shows how greatly managed the 360 is. Things are looking better than ever before. I look forward now to what Microsoft have to offer for their next-generation Xbox. Something tells me it will be pretty special.
    Last edited by Wasib; 11-30-2011 at 16:58.

Thread Information