Latest PSU headlines:

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 112131 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/xbox-36...y-global-sales

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 has been dominating its home turf for the past couple of years, sitting atop the monthly sales charts for the U.S. video-game console market, but the Redmond company has just taken the title of top-selling home console worldwide, as well.

Sony’s earnings report, issued yesterday, puts the PlayStation 3 at 6.5 million units sold worldwide for the holiday quarter, topping the 5.6 million units registered by Nintendo’s Wii for the same period — but falling short of the 8.2 million Xbox 360 sales reported by Microsoft.

According to data compiled by GeekWire, it’s the first time that the Xbox 360 has led worldwide holiday sales since 2006, when the PlayStation 3 and Wii were just being launched, posting a partial quarter and not yet ramping up their manufacturing to meet demand.

Here’s the bigger news: The Xbox 360′s strong holiday quarter also put the Microsoft console ahead in worldwide sales globally for the full year of 2011, with 14.9 million units sold, compared with 14.1 million for the PS3 and 10.33 million for the Wii.
    According to our data, compiled from historical earnings reports, it’s first time the Xbox 360 has topped the worldwide console market for a full year of head-to-head competition with the PS3 and Wii.

Microsoft’s surge reflects the strong reception for the Kinect motion sensor and the expansion of the console as a home entertainment device, enabled by regular software updates.

Don Mattrick, the Microsoft video-game chief, had predicted last year at the E3 conference that Xbox 360 would become the No. 1 console globally.

On a cumulative basis, Nintendo is still the king of the current console generation, with 95 million Wiis sold worldwide, compared with 66 million Xbox 360 for Microsoft and 62 million Ps3s for Sony.
    Nice to see MS doing so well in Europe and US.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/xbox-36...y-global-sales

Nice to see MS doing so well in Europe and US.
    Honestly didn't think I would see that with overseas PS3 sales so strong.

Bodes well for MS and Sony alike. Competition, always good!
    LMAO

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Jan #NPD shows Xbox 360 #1 selling console 13th month in a row with 270K units & 49% market share.
    https://twitter.com/#!/aarongreenber...50643501629440

49%

Far out.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I love that this gen is so competitive. Nobody is a loser, especially not gamers.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

MS is already started 2012 right.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I love that this gen is so competitive. Nobody is a loser, especially not gamers.

I think you will find Sony isthe loser as they have gone from 1st place last gen (by a country mile) to last this gen.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    I think you will find Sony isthe loser as they have gone from 1st place last gen (by a country mile) to last this gen.
    So uninformed...

Soldier 95B
    Couple more stats:

Xbox 360 had 5 of the 10 top sellers for January
    Xbox 360 sold 381,000 last year January vs. 270,000 this year January, a difference of 111,000 less

Last year January Sony sold 276,000.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    So uninformed...

looks like you are if you think differently.

Elite Guru
    looks like you are if you think differently.
    I'm not gonna go into a 'discussion' about this, especially with you. But, to say Sony is a loser this gen, especially given the way the generation started for them, is beyond ridiculous

Like I said, uninformed
    Last edited by Nitey; 02-10-2012 at 15:53.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I'm not gonna go into a 'discussion' about this, especially with you. But, to say Sony is a loser this gen by a country mile, especially given the way the generation started for them, is beyond ridiculous

Like I said, uninformed

None of the big three are losers, but people will always love to quantify it in that manner. Whole basis for idiotic console wars.
    LMAO

12. Likes TEJ2025, Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    None of the big three are losers, but people will always love to quantify it in that manner. Whole basis for idiotic console wars.
    Indeed

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    My big thing is when did it become so f'in important for gamers to track fiscal numbers? it shouldn't have ever happened. Buy the damn console and play your games. another console has a game you want? Find a way to buy the console, don't begrudge the users of it and mock them to make yourself more confident you made the right purchase because your console of choice doesn't have the title or features the other one does.

I swear... I know console wars has been around a long time, pre-dating all current consoles. Still doesn't make it any less annoying and pointless to be a fanboy.
    LMAO

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    My big thing is when did it become so f'in important for gamers to track fiscal numbers? it shouldn't have ever happened. Buy the damn console and play your games. another console has a game you want? Find a way to buy the console, don't begrudge the users of it and mock them to make yourself more confident you made the right purchase because your console of choice doesn't have the title or features the other one does.

I swear... I know console wars has been around a long time, pre-dating all current consoles. Still doesn't make it any less annoying and pointless to be a fanboy.
    I agree, especially with the bolded. Unfortunatley it'll never go away and will probably get worse when the next gen consoles launch

As for the importance in fiscal numbers and business side of things. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm majoring in a business degree and so the interest in numbers and financial performance is something that naturally fascinates me. Just as an outsider though, not to the extent it does fanboys tryna 1up the competition

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I agree, especially with the bolded. Unfortunatley it'll never go away and will probably get worse when the next gen consoles launch

As for the importance in fiscal numbers and business side of things. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm majoring in a business degree and so the interest in numbers and financial performance is something that naturally fascinates me. Just as an outsider though, not to the extent it does fanboys tryna 1up the competition
    Yeah, I can see being interested in the numbers as a scholastic view, hadn't thought that route.
    LMAO

Master Guru

I'm not gonna go into a 'discussion' about this, especially with you. But, to say Sony is a loser this gen by a country mile, especially given the way the generation started for them, is beyond ridiculous

Like I said, uninformed
    just for reference, he actually said they were first last gen by a country mile, not last this gen by a country mile.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Elite Guru
    Still stand by my point though, which is that no one is really a loser this gen
    Last edited by Nitey; 02-10-2012 at 15:53.

Extreme Poster
    It's 2012, some of us are still stuck in 2007.

20. Likes sainraja , Nitey , Cuguy likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Sufi, it will start ALL OVER again with PS4 and Xbox 3. And it will actually be worse, because the PS3 and 360 will still be for sale, so it will be a battle of old gen and new gen. DOUBLE the WARZ!

Dedicated Member

I'm not gonna go into a 'discussion' about this, especially with you. But, to say Sony is a loser this gen, especially given the way the generation started for them, is beyond ridiculous

Like I said, uninformed
    Last gen Sony controlled over 80% of the console market. This gen they control less than 33%.

Last gen the PS2 made around $3 Billion in profits. This gen the PS3 has lost over $5 Billion.

Before the PS3 went on sale Sony was predicting that they would quickly sell the first 10 million consoles, even without any games. Less than a year later Sony was dropping the price by $100 to keep the PS3 from failing completely.

Now, excuse me for asking the obvious, but in what way do you define that as a success?

At the absolute best you could say Sony has done a good job of mitigating their losses and failures this gen, but if you think the PS3 has been anything less than a financial and business disaster for Sony then I suggest you go re-read their Fiscal Year statements starting in 2005. It's now 6 years after the PS3 launch, and they still aren't even turning a steady profit, and they are still in last place in sales. This from the dominate market leader who practically had a monopoly in the industry in 2005.

I tell you what, if you think the PS3 has been anything more than a failure for Sony, then name the Sony exec who in 2005 predicted that the PS3 would be in last place in the market and still losing money in 2012, and was happy with that.

23. Likes Cuguy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    They lost the dominant positon that they had last generation. You can say that. That does not mean that Sony lost this generation. The mistakes that they made cost them dominance....it didn't cost them the PlayStation business. They are here and competing....wouldn't call that failure.

25. Likes Cuguy likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Last gen Sony controlled over 80% of the console market. This gen they control less than 33%.

Last gen the PS2 made around $3 Billion in profits. This gen the PS3 has lost over $5 Billion.

Before the PS3 went on sale Sony was predicting that they would quickly sell the first 10 million consoles, even without any games. Less than a year later Sony was dropping the price by $100 to keep the PS3 from failing completely.

Now, excuse me for asking the obvious, but in what way do you define that as a success?

At the absolute best you could say Sony has done a good job of mitigating their losses and failures this gen, but if you think the PS3 has been anything less than a financial and business disaster for Sony then I suggest you go re-read their Fiscal Year statements starting in 2005. It's now 6 years after the PS3 launch, and they still aren't even turning a steady profit, and they are still in last place in sales. This from the dominate market leader who practically had a monopoly in the industry in 2005.

I tell you what, if you think the PS3 has been anything more than a failure for Sony, then name the Sony exec who in 2005 predicted that the PS3 would be in last place in the market and still losing money in 2012, and was happy with that.
    +rep for that.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

I never said it was a success. I just think it's harsh to say they're the losers this gen and agree, basically, with what LeisuresuitLarry was saying:

The bolded in your quote is what I am basing my opinion on (that they're not losers_, and no, I'm not diluded enough to think that Sony are happy with their performance this generation. I fully acknowledge the PS3 has been a financial disaster for them, as I've stated in another thread:

They tried it with the PS3, acknowleding that it was a huge financial risk and unfortunately it didn't pay off (in terms of losses and profitability). That leads me to believe that they will go back to what they know best.
    With the way the gen started, though, I think they're surely pleased with the way they've clawed themselves back in the running. Yes, they lost a hell of a lot, but it was all lost as soon as they were planning their 'vision' for the PS3 (599)

Like I said in the other thread:

At 599 and the amount of crap they were getting left right and centre before and after launch I think any other console would have eventually Dreamcast'd in that situation. Perhaps not Nintendo..but then they would have just Gamecube'd themselves again
    That's why I think it's a bit harsh to call them losers this gen. Whilst it was always going to be difficult to emulate the success of the PS2, I believe that nearly all of the damage done for them was at the beginning of the generation. That's why I feel they've done well to stand where they do now.

Obviously others don't feel they've done a good job (in the end), and would rather compare last gen as a whole to this gen as a whole, and just brandish Sony as losers, and that's cool.

If you ask me though, it's a tad narrow minded

2 cents, etc
    Last edited by Nitey; 02-14-2012 at 18:00.

Forum Elder
    I'm not gonna go into a 'discussion' about this, especially with you.
    why so bitter?

But, to say Sony is a loser this gen, especially given the way the generation started for them, is beyond ridiculous

Like I said, uninformed
    Sony went from 1st to last in a generation and there not a loser..... Uninformed, me. Erm..... No.

Elite Guru
    why so bitter?

Sony went from 1st to last in a generation and there not a loser..... Uninformed, me. Erm..... No.
    1)I'm not bitter
    2)Take the time to read why I believe it is harsh to call Sony a loser, rather than just slam that tag down on them because you are not a fan of the PS3 (or it's games)

Thread Information