Latest PSU headlines:

Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 122232 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    February 2012 NPD: Hardware sales

A (mostly) full listing of U.S. hardware sales for the month of February can be found below. Data for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, and DS are available, but results for the PS Vita have not yet been reported.Xbox 360: 426K
    PlayStation 3: 360K
    3DS: 262K
    Wii: 228K
    DS: 135K
    Note: Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, and DS data is official. PlayStation 3 sales were determined based on existing data presented in press releases from Nintendo and Microsoft.
    http://gamingeverything.com/16577/fe...ardware-sales/

lll

February 2012 NPD: Microsoft’s response
    March 8th, 2012 Posted in 360, News
    Posted By: Valay

Microsoft has issued a response to the latest NPD report. The company highlighted its 42% market share of consoles for Febraury and confirmed that the Xbox 360 sold 426,000 units last month.

The full release can be found below.

February NPD – Xbox 360 continues as number one selling console in the U.S.

Xbox 360 continues to hold the number one spot in the U.S., selling more units than any other console for 14 months straight. Sustained consumer demand for Xbox 360 and Kinect have helped maintain its number one spot, even in the seventh year on the market.

February 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
    Holding 42 percent share of current-generation console sales, Xbox 360 sold 426,000 units in February, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S. This marks the 12th consecutive month Xbox 360 has held more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share. (Source: NPD Group, February 2012)

Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in February (hardware, software and accessories) reached $383 million, the most for any console in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, February 2012)

During the month of February, Xbox 360 held five of the top 10 U.S. console game titles including: “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning,” “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3,” “UFC Undisputed,” “NBA 2K12,” and “Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.” (Source: NPD Group, February 2012)

This year, Xbox 360 will again deliver an interactive entertainment portfolio of blockbuster titles, experiences and add-on content, including additions to the famed “Halo” and “Fable” franchises. The more than 50 Xbox LIVE entertainment partners will continue to expand with many more launching throughout the year. Later this year, Xbox 360 will deliver entirely new groundbreaking experiences like “Kinect Sesame Street TV” and “Nat Geo TV,” forever changing the way people interact with their favorite TV entertainment.
    http://gamingeverything.com/16568/fe...ofts-response/
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-09-2012 at 00:19.

Soldier 95B
    Thanks for the post. As usual the 360 is beast. Nearly a half million in February does the trick. No doubt they will continue to pull away.

TapaTit

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    2)Take the time to read why I believe it is harsh to call Sony a loser, rather than just slam that tag down on them because you are not a fan of the PS3 (or it's games)
    right.....
    so in your world to find fault with Sony = "you are not a fan of the PS3 (or it's games)"

meanwhile, back in my world a PS3, 2 sets of Move controllers and 200+ games bought says your as wrong as can be.

so i'll finish by saying...
    Sony have went from 1st to last in a generation and will be worried that they are not closing the sales gap on 360 and the lacklustre performance of PSV will only add to it.

Soldier 95B
    The whole sales comparison is way over rated. The Xbox 360 is in it's 7th year and is 4 million ahead. Whether or not it falls behind or moves ahead means nothing. It has established itself in the gaming community. Both consoles are nearing 70 million sold each, worldwide. That is 140 million consoles sold in 7 years.

The gamers just won that battle. 140 million of them.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    The whole sales comparison is way over rated. The Xbox 360 is in it's 7th year and is 4 million ahead. Whether or not it falls behind or moves ahead means nothing. It has established itself in the gaming community. Both consoles are nearing 70 million sold each, worldwide. That is 140 million consoles sold in 7 years.

The gamers just won that battle. 140 million of them.
    Bingo.

I have said it for years. Doesn't matter who is in first, or third... the games and quality is there on all sides.
    LMAO

Power Member
    Items User name style
    It was vitally important in the early days, to both the companies and the consumer (who wants to be stuck with a lemon?).
    But it has long since really mattered, once both hit above 40 million, thats a big enough market for anyone to publish to.
    What is interesting (purley from a markeitng point of view), is the demographiocs of these sales, and the boost Kinect has given MS.
    Its quite clear its a totally different market to the one I bought my console for.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

Soldier 95B
    Sales leader again. The Wii however, is starting to fizzle pretty dang fast. Imagine the numbers once the 360 gets a price chop.

Master Poster

anyone know LTD and YTD numbers... just interested

Soldier 95B
    LTD Worldwide, the Xbox went over 66 million by the end of December.

In the US for 2012 so far:

January: 270,000
    February: 426,000
    March: 371,000

In Japan for 2012 so far:

15,000 (has averaged 1,250 a week)

In Europe for 2012 so far:

? (this is their second largest territory for selling Xbox 360's). If I took a guess, go with half of US sales and make it 500k

So I imagine through March, LTD, they are at 67.5 million+

Forum Sage
    Microsoft Q3 results: 1.4 million 360s sold, Entertainment division revenue down year-over-year

by Jordan Mallory on Apr 19th 2012 7:00PM

Despite being the number one best-selling console in America for fifteen months running, the 360's success wasn't enough to prevent Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division from being the only section of the company to post a year-over-year decline in revenue during the third quarter of fiscal 2012.

The Entertainment and Devices Division, which includes Microsoft's gaming businesses and the Windows Phone platform, finished the period ending on March 31, 2012 with $1.62 billion in revenue – a 16 percent drop over the same period in fiscal 2011. During Q3 2012, Microsoft sold 1.4 million 360s, a 48 percent drop year-over-year.

When the entirety of fiscal 2012 is taken into account, however, the Entertainment and Devices Division is actually up as far as revenue is concerned: $7.84 billion so far in fiscal 2012 as compared to $7.42 billion by this time in fiscal 2011. The devision's operation income, on the other hand, is down year-over-year, posting at $627 million for the first nine months of fiscal 2012, compared to $1.24 billion for this time last year.

Otherwise, Microsoft's Q3 performance was strong across all fronts: Overall quarterly revenue rang up at $17.41 billion, a six percent increase over Q3 2011, with a business-wide operating income of $6.37 billion, a 12 percent year-over-year increase.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/mi...ainment-divis/

Power Member
    Items User name style
    They drop 48% in sales and only drop 16% in revenue?

Whose making a tonne of money off each Xbox eh?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They drop 48% in sales and only drop 16% in revenue?

Whose making a tonne of money off each Xbox eh?
    And people used to question me when I said MS could easily afford a price drop if they wanted. Clearly the production costs are MUCH cheaper than last year, but no savings is being passed on to the customer. Quite the opposite, MS is on course to have another Billion+ in profits this year from the Xbox.

Forum Sage
    Xbox 360 tops all console sales in April in US with 236,000

It's the 16th consecutive month for Microsoft's console
    Microsoft has just issued its NPD reaction statement and revealed that the Xbox 360 sold through 236,000 units for the month of April, marking the 16th consecutive month that the console has topped all others in the US.
    Overall, Xbox held 47 percent share of current-generation console sales, which Microsoft said is the 14th consecutive month Xbox 360 has held more than 40 percent of the current-generation console market share. Additionally, the company said that the total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in April (hardware, software and accessories) reached $261 million, which is "the most for any console in the U.S. and more than the spend on the other two current-generation consoles combined."
    Kinect Star Wars held the number one spot among titles in the US on Xbox 360, and the console held seven of the top 10 spots for US console games in April.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...s-with-236-000

15. Likes Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    And people used to question me when I said MS could easily afford a price drop if they wanted. Clearly the production costs are MUCH cheaper than last year, but no savings is being passed on to the customer. Quite the opposite, MS is on course to have another Billion+ in profits this year from the Xbox.
    And most likely with still no savings being passed on to the customer.

Extreme Poster
    Well done, I can't believe we're talking about 16 consecutive months. That's pretty good.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Looks like MS went from having a 4 million WW sales lead down to 3.3 million. http://www.examiner.com/article/sony...d-sale-figures

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    And most likely with still no savings being passed on to the customer.
    #1 There will likely be a price drop later this year.

#2 MS is in the business of making money, and considering all the money they invested into to the xbox, I'm not going to fault them for wanting to keep up a steady stream of profits.

And considering how well the 360 sells at current prices (and the ps3 being ~$50 cheaper) just imagine how much more sales will increase with a price drop. Not to mention Halo 4 will probably move a few units by itself.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    #1 There will likely be a price drop later this year. #2 MS is in the business of making money, and considering all the money they invested into to the xbox, I'm not going to fault them for wanting to keep up a steady stream of profits. And considering how well the 360 sells at current prices (and the ps3 being ~$50 cheaper) just imagine how much more sales will increase with a price drop. Not to mention Halo 4 will probably move a few units by itself.
    Maybe and maybe not but for now Sony is closing the gap again.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Maybe and maybe not but for now Sony is closing the gap again.
    But does it matter?

In terms of Sony vs MS, I don't think it would unfitting to say that MS has won this generation. Even if sony ends up selling more ps3's by the time the next xbox launches. (which I won't be surprised if that happens, in 2013) (Since it seems that 2013 is a barren wasteland for the 360 at this point, E3 2012 may change that)

Forum Sage
    I think MS is more than satisfied about what they have accomplished regardless. I don't think many predicted they would still be leading this far into its life. gotta give them credit for how far they have come. Sure is heck of a lot better than last gen.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I think MS is more than satisfied about what they have accomplished regardless. I don't think many predicted they would still be leading this far into its life. gotta give them credit for how far they have come. Sure is heck of a lot better than last gen.
    Well considering how their goal last gen was

#1 Not to flop

And

#2 Get their foot in the door of the console business

I would say that they succeeded equally well so far. The only major issue last gen was the lack of hardware profitability.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    But does it matter? In terms of Sony vs MS, I don't think it would unfitting to say that MS has won this generation. Even if sony ends up selling more ps3's by the time the next xbox launches. (which I won't be surprised if that happens, in 2013) (Since it seems that 2013 is a barren wasteland for the 360 at this point, E3 2012 may change that)
    It matters right now. And as for the winner of this generation that title goes to Nintendo. No reason to exclude them from the discussion just because they beat MS as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    #2 Get their foot in the door of the console business
    Sony did a lot more than that with their first console. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Oh definitely. I think MS accomplished what they set out to do this generation.

Thread Information