Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 152535 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wish DD sales were released by Sony/MS too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    How much "bragging" can MS do about WW numbers though? Judging the console race by one market is being shortsighted. Thats like saying Sony is winning because theyre outselling all the other home consoles in Japan. lol It would be cool to have WW numbers every month. I'm sure 360 is leading but I bet its closer than people think.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-11-2012 at 21:39.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Well fairly recently MS did have their lead back at 4 million. Dont believe me then go do your own research. Besides the userbase between PS3 and 360 is so close that it really doesn't matter much anyway.
    I think those were those "rounded" numbers. PR speak.
    And, just for the record, last year 2011, the PS3 sold 14.1 million units.
    The 360 sold 14.9 million.
    Even with Japan, thats getting beaten.

As for the 1/4 results, both companies posted their worst Jan-March, although Sony have always been tradtionally better in this 1/4, what I really think we are seeing is the peak of this gen.

I think we maybe going down the other side of sales curve now.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I think those were those "rounded" numbers. PR speak. And, just for the record, last year 2011, the PS3 sold 14.1 million units. The 360 sold 14.9 million. Even with Japan, thats getting beaten. As for the 1/4 results, both companies posted their worst Jan-March, although Sony have always been tradtionally better in this 1/4, what I really think we are seeing is the peak of this gen. I think we maybe going down the other side of sales curve now.
    Like I said before, close numbers.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Like I said before, close numbers.
    No doubt, as I said, which spareked this all.
    Still being competitve in 2012 would certianly be ticking the boxes for MS executives.

My attention is rapidly turning to next gen though.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-11-2012 at 22:36.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    No doubt, as I said, which spareked this all. Still being competitve in 2012 would certianly be ticking the boxes for MS executives. My attention is rapidly turning to next gen though.
    Yeah same here. I hope we do hear something at E3.

Soldier 95B
    If the difference is 3.3 million after all these years, I am pretty confident that I would consider this a tie for this gen, IMO. Both have NAILED it on coming out with great games and continue to do so.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    If the difference is 3.3 million after all these years, I am pretty confident that I would consider this a tie for this gen, IMO. Both have NAILED it on coming out with great games and continue to do so.
    I definitely agree with you there.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    How many people had PC's in their homes in 1995? (never mind internet connections)

Cellphones? (never mind smartphones)

ect.

Back in 1995 you didn't have nearly as many entertainment options. Not to mention Sega helped to draw some sales, but not doing enough to be a significant threat.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    lets not kid ourselves here, sony didnt 'compete' their way into the market with the ps1, they slashed royalties. thats very different to what ms had to achieve against total dominance in the previous gen. their goals revolved around getting a solid foothold this gen, and theyve far exceeded that. from a purely business perspective it is sony that has underwhelmed
    How does your statement disprove anything I said? You're just giving more details.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

How does your statement disprove anything I said? You're just giving more details.
    Videogames today compete against more forms of media/entertainment than they did in 1995. Therefore it should not be surprising to find that success takes longer than it did in 1995.

There are additional reasons for the original xbox's slow uptake, but they don't necessarily relate to the same area I just talked about.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

i wasn't trying to disprove what you said. i just quoted the last relevant post to the discussion on MS' achievement. sorry if it wasn't clear.

if anything i was agreeing with matrix. what sony achieved with the ps1 and what ms achieved with the 360 were two very different things
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Videogames today compete against more forms of media/entertainment than they did in 1995. Therefore it should not be surprising to find that success takes longer than it did in 1995.

There are additional reasons for the original xbox's slow uptake, but they don't necessarily relate to the same area I just talked about.
    I was thrown off a bit. I went back and looked at the first comments.

I see your point but I don't think we can really weigh everything together because while some things were at an advantage back in the day, others weren't.

For example, PS1 and N64 had to deal with not having an online component so games had to rely heavily on single player gameplay. There weren't many other things to attract the consumers either when it came to the consoles (such as netflix/facebook/movies/streaming off PC etc.).

Not to mention, Sony didn't have the money like MS did. Though if it weren't for MS' money, it wouldn't have been possible. I think with Live, it's clear that MS was in a good shape to bring something to the table. They had the money to spend on that and the expertise. They had the money to buy off studios in the beginning years. They had the money to make exclusive deals.

If it were any other company, they would not have survived imo so it's almost like MS had the right recipe.

I think it was tougher for MS because they came into a market that was heavily run by the Japanese developers (back in the day) and they wanted to cater to the western part of the world only. It just happens so that the western developers had a huge rise this generation and online became the next best thing...which were both favorable to MS.

Though I think both MS and Sony had a tough time breaking into this. Sony was more successful though because they did go against the biggest giant in the industry and took it by storm. MS needed a bit of money, skill and some luck to get where they are. Not saying Sony didn't need luck against Nintendo but they won that fair and square...came out with a hardware and software that was better suited for the mainstream, worked better with developers than Nintendo ever did and really started the western dominance in the gaming industry.

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    i wasn't trying to disprove what you said. i just quoted the last relevant post to the discussion on MS' achievement. sorry if it wasn't clear.

if anything i was agreeing with matrix. what sony achieved with the ps1 and what ms achieved with the 360 were two very different things
    Ah, that makes sense.

Master Poster

How much "bragging" can MS do about WW numbers though? Judging the console race by one market is being shortsighted. Thats like saying Sony is winning because theyre outselling all the other home consoles in Japan. lol It would be cool to have WW numbers every month. I'm sure 360 is leading but I bet its closer than people think.
    In terms of sales comparisons and why I like to keep an eye on sales trends mainly has to do predicting where the industry as a whole is going, and really the most influential market is NA.
    CoD success in the NA market has shaped what were seeing today.
    If CoD was a runaway success in Asian markets and smaller Pal regions and flopped in NA it wouldn't have the same impact because those markets aren't going to have the same effect the NA market has. Same with console sales if Sony didn't sell a single PS3 in Japan I don't think that's going to change what the PS3 is to a European consumer at least not in a large way.
    So i can see why different markets get sort of discredited in a way by some people.

And I sort of find it funny that some posters here will hold onto WW numbers looking for PS3 to close the gap with the Asian markets so they can claim a PS3 win and really, not to open a can of worms here, it doesn't matter if PS3 out sold the 360 by 20 million if those sales are in a market with little impact to what we get in west, nor would I care if 360 outsold PS3 by 20 million in that market because again there little influence on what MS will offer to the western market because of it.

14. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Apprentice

Sales are tricky because they do not necessarily equal one system really being better. What I mean is when the gap is a few million and a difference of a year in release dates it can be argued that it is a tie. Yes, different markets can have a bigger influence, but sales are sales. Business is a global market. NA may decide what is being made and what direction gaming goes more heavily than some other parts of the world, but then again sales as a whole determine investing and what works for everyone. Now, I think that 360 and ps3 are pretty much even. In ways they have done well and in ways they have not. For myself I would say they have failed to make many games that have captivated me like the previous gens. Note that I am only 19 so maybe age plays a factor, but I still don't think it is that big of a deal. Besides Gears 1 - 3, Bioshock 1, and Skyrim I am not wowed by other games the way I was with PS2 games. There are other games I enjoyed a lot for both ps3 and 360 but they weren't that impacting on me. I feel that what is more important that sales of consoles is the reaction to the games on them. I feel that ps3 leads in some genres and 360 in others. This is more important cause this is a truer gauge of where types of gamers will flock to if the next ps or xbox begin to cater to certain genres more.

Ultimate Veteran
    Microsoft’s latest sales update shows the Xbox 360 gaining traction every year since launch.

Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Division marketing chief Yusuf Mehdi revealed the figures in a post on Microsoft’s Technet blog.

“Since 2005 – when we launched Xbox 360 – we have sold 67 million consoles and have generated more than $56 billion at retail, and we’re still going strong in our seventh year,” Mehdi said.

“With 47% share of the current-generation console market, we are hitting our stride largely as a result of the success of Kinect for Xbox 360 (19 million sold) and the flood of new entertainment options through Xbox LIVE (40 million members).”

The executive said increasing engagement with entertainment has driven the Xbox 360′s longevity.

“Sales for Xbox 360 in year five were greater than in year four, sales in year six were greater than in year five, and sales in year seven were greater than in year six,” he noted.

Mehdi also made a few promises about Microsoft’s E3 2012 presentation.

“We’ll unveil new games, show new ways to enjoy the entertainment you love and, as always, we’ll have a few surprises to share,” he said.

Delightful. Microsoft’s press conference is scheduled for June 4, at 9:30AM PT.

Thanks, Joystiq.
    Source
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    47% certainly not WW.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    47% certainly not WW.
    North America is worldwide
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Very nice. Huge market share, huge sales and awesome games. Here to stay it seems!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    would anyone really have thought MS would win this gen?

47% is quite remarkable for a console that suffered the RROD and charges people to play on-line...

Soldier 95B
    I am surprised that the Xbox 360 in second place this gen.

(Fixed Blacksite! My bad!
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 05-30-2012 at 20:41.

Ultimate Veteran
    I am still surprised that the Wii is the best seller this gen.
    Just a warning, taken from the OP:

Absolutely NO mention of PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, etc... in the thread. The discussion will revolve around the numbers posted for the 360 and what it means. In the past, the threads turned into instant comparison threads, got derailed, then closed. No one wants that. So to avoid it, no one is allowed to post things like "well the PS3 sold ### two weeks earlier than 360 did at the same point in its life"... not only is the number meaningless, it brings the PS3 into a discussion that it does not belong to.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    47% certainly not WW.
    Indeed, even his graphs states that.

Soldier 95B
    Indeed, even his graphs states that.

Forum Overseer
    Like I said in the other thread, "Public Relations."

Hey guys, how can we make our numbers look drastically better than the other guys'?

CONTEXT! YES! THEY WILL NEVER KNOW!

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Very nice. Huge market share, huge sales and awesome games. Here to stay it seems!
    NA has been very good to MS this gen.

Thread Information