Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 223242 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i'm still laughing at that one guy (not you soldier) that said 360/PS3 would not need a price cut because back then (2 months ago) it was selling well at that price.

lol don't quit your day job! if you're listening.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm still laughing at that one guy (not you soldier) that said 360/PS3 would not need a price cut because back then (2 months ago) it was selling well at that price.

lol don't quit your day job! if you're listening.
    I'm not sure who you're talking about the to play devil's advocate, the PS3 had a $30 price drop and they released that SKU without a HDD.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    I'm not sure who you're talking about the to play devil's advocate, the PS3 had a $30 price drop and they released that SKU without a HDD.
    It had an HDD. Just a very small one.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    i'm talking about both consoles.

Forum Sage
    i'm talking about both consoles.
    Yeah, think he was just trying to present one console as an example to counter. I am not sure what point you both are going towards so maybe I shouldn't say anything, lol.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Yeah, think he was just trying to present one console as an example to counter. I am not sure what point you both are going towards so maybe I shouldn't say anything, lol.
    sure if he's countering the guy who didn't want to believe it lol.

my point was that both were going to need a price cut...there's no way anyone would want to pay $300 for an 7-8 year old console when next-gen is right around the corner. Especially when next-gen is here. maybe typical didn't see that i'd put PS3 in there?

Forum Sage
    sure if he's countering the guy who didn't want to believe it lol.

my point was that both were going to need a price cut...there's no way anyone would want to pay $300 for an 7-8 year old console when next-gen is right around the corner. Especially when next-gen is here. maybe typical didn't see that i'd put PS3 in there?
    Yeah, I gotcha. It's strange that both consoles are still close to the $300 dollar price tag. I think the PS2 was $129.99 when the PS3 released.

Forum Overseer
    PS3 will never reach that point...unless Sony wants to lose tons of money. It's because of the Blu-Ray. 360 is just expensive because it's popular and MS can get away with it. also I think they might start bundling more things like HDD space and maybe Kinect with it too.

However, that $99 360 would be a big deal if it comes out. Sony can't compete with that.

Forum Sage
    PS3 will never reach that point...unless Sony wants to lose tons of money. It's because of the Blu-Ray. 360 is just expensive because it's popular and MS can get away with it. also I think they might start bundling more things like HDD space and maybe Kinect with it too.

However, that $99 360 would be a big deal if it comes out. Sony can't compete with that.

/ rimshot.

Forum Sage

You might be right. Is blu-ray still the driving cost of the PS3? I mean, considering that the next-gen consoles are going to use it, and the fact that it has pretty much become a standard? I would imagine that it's not as expensive for Sony to have in their console now.

Forum Elder
    I dont know about that one. around here you can buy a Blu ray player for $50

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Overseer
    You might be right. Is blu-ray still the driving cost of the PS3? I mean, considering that the next-gen consoles are going to use it, and the fact that it has pretty much become a standard? I would imagine that it's not as expensive for Sony to have in their console now.
    I'm sure the CPU/RAM/Drive costs more on the PS3 and Sony generally gives more space there as well.

I'd think 360 was pretty cheap to make.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I dont know about that one. around here you can buy a Blu ray player for $50

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Where else is there demand for 2X Blu-Ray drives?

It's just like HDD sizes. Over time the smaller capacity drives are discontinued and the price differences between the drives at the lower end of the capacity spectrum are roughly the same.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Where else is there demand for 2X Blu-Ray drives?

It's just like HDD sizes. Over time the smaller capacity drives are discontinued and the price differences between the drives at the lower end of the capacity spectrum are roughly the same.
    If including a faster speed blu-drive isn't going to stop games from working, then why couldn't Sony just switch to a faster drive? They can just set a mandate that any games under development work on older SKU's as well.

I'm sure the CPU/RAM/Drive costs more on the PS3 and Sony generally gives more space there as well.

I'd think 360 was pretty cheap to make.
    I see what you're saying. Microsoft can definitely compete more aggressively with 360's pricing but I wouldn't put it past Sony to drop the price of the PS3 (maybe not to match the 360's) to compete.
    Last edited by sainraja; 09-15-2013 at 19:40.

15. Likes Omar likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yeah, I doubt they do the $99 on a PS3 ever. It took three years for the PS2 to go from $129 to $99.

Forum Sage
    If including a faster speed blu-drive isn't going to stop games from working, then why couldn't Sony just switch to a faster drive? They can just set a mandate that any games under development work on older SKU's as well.

I see what you're saying. Microsoft can definitely compete more aggressively with 360's pricing but I wouldn't put it past Sony to drop the price of the PS3 (maybe not to match the 360's) to compete.
    Perhaps an existing contract with a hardware vendor prevents them from doing so. Or perhaps they don't see the point in doing it at this point in the ps3's lifespan when they have already put out its 3rd and final revision.

The goal isn't to have the lowest price, it's to have the greatest profit off of the hardware.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Perhaps an existing contract with a hardware vendor prevents them from doing so. Or perhaps they don't see the point in doing it at this point in the ps3's lifespan when they have already put out its 3rd and final revision.

The goal isn't to have the lowest price, it's to have the greatest profit off of the hardware.
    hmm, they will be placing orders for the PS4 aren't they? So, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to order one type over two different and use it for both? or go for the next higher one available which is cheaper.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, I doubt they do the $99 on a PS3 ever. It took three years for the PS2 to go from $129 to $99.
    Not just that but the amount of non-reducible tech in Ps3 is much more than Ps2 ever had. The added factor of HDD/Flash memory alone will keep the base price slightly higher.

That said the fact that Sony managed to Ps3 as low as they have is simply amazing. I never would have though it would get this low.

Forum Sage
    hmm, they will be placing orders for the PS4 aren't they? So, wouldn't it be cheaper for them to order one type over two different and use it for both? or go for the next higher one available which is cheaper.
    Well the super slim uses a top loading drive, while the 4 uses a conventional slot drive.....

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    80m is quite an achievement.

Elite Sage
    I wonder if MS will make another excuse for not releasing numbers by specific regions this week?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    It would be interesting to no how many Xbox One's were sold worldwide since launch.

8 years and counting!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I wonder if MS will make another excuse for not releasing numbers by specific regions this week?
    Why does it matter? All signs are showing the PS4 ahead of Xbox One. That's not enough to make you happy?

Elite Sage
    In a statement provided to Ars, Microsoft's Xbox VP Yusuf Mehdi didn't provide any solid update on sales numbers, but he did say that Microsoft is "seeing record breaking sales and [we] are selling every Xbox One we can make. Demand is far exceeding supply in the 13 countries we’ve launched and we are sold out at retailers around the world." Mehdi added that 50 million man-hours have been spent on the system so far, and he said that the company has been "humbled and gratified" by the response to the system's roll out.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/1...ore-countries/

Seems that they aren't going to announce any numbers yet.

edit:MS gives us this instead of sales figures
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 12-03-2013 at 23:28. Reason: idk what bait you're talking about 33x:snicker

Thread Information