Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Fight -Lights out, first review is in.

http://www.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/9498/the-fight?

The only fight on offer here is the one against frustration.

A quick question to kick things off: did you enjoy the boxing segment of Wii Sports? You did? Ok, good. Now, and this is important, so listen carefully, at any point when playing the aforementioned cutesy boxing game did you think to yourself ‘s’alright, I suppose, but it would be much better if it had ‘gritty’ visuals, a hip hop soundtrack, copious/pointless adolescent posturing, and C-list film stars grimacing with embarrassment at the mere notion of their involvement’?

You did? Well, be careful what you wish for. We would be prepared to forgive The Fight its various transgressions – although maybe not the truly painful tutorial featuring Desperado star Danny Trejo, whose laughable anger seems less directed at the player and more at his agent - if the central conceit, 1:1 fist fighting using the Move controller, actually worked as advertised.

Sadly it doesn’t, which is a shame because if it did The Fight would be a very different proposition. Ostensibly a one-on-one fighter with the added twist of motion controls, The Fight tasks you with creating your fighter in standard sports game fashion - attributing stats to strength, speed, giving him a funny beard etc. and then brutalising your many stereotypical opponents in down-and-out venues such as the aforementioned back alleys and run-down warehouses.

Successfully defeating these opponents (whose importance is signified by their position in a deck of cards: sadly Saddam Hussein isn’t the last boss) increases your street cred and unlocks outfits and other trinkets to dress your violent Barbie with. There’s also a currency mechanic, enabling you to fix broken bones, bet on fights, and engage in training sessions to make keep your fighter in tip-top shape.

Sadly, the all-important core mechanics fail to complement this solid base. The game cannot be played with the navigation controller, only with either a DualShock/Move controller combo or two Move controllers, and with the pad it’s as close to broken as possible. It was the norm to find our avatar’s left arm (the pad must be held in the left hand) at an angle completely oppositional to our actual stance, even with the infuriatingly constant calibration interruptions.

It’s obviously better with two Move controllers, but there’s still the problems registering your actions to contend with, requiring yet more calibration frustration. Changing the play environment made a negligible difference, but The Fight’s problems aren’t all mechanical: these problems seem to be made worse by some bizarre design decisions.

The game warns you in no uncertain terms not to move your feet or you will ruin the precious calibration. Fair enough in theory, but the game also desires that you feel part of an actual fight, and one of the key parts of fighting is footwork. No matter how disciplined you may be you’ll find yourself moving intuitively with the rhythm of the fight, and your calibration will inevitably suffer.

Also, the game offers a variety of camera angles, but bizarrely neglects to include the one that would put you right in the heart of the action: first person. As such there’s the strange sensation of punching towards the PSEye as if you’re swinging directly at the target in question and then watching your avatar perform the same motion from a different angle, leading to a slew of depth perception problems.

It’s unfortunate, really, as when the stars align and you lean to slip a punch before connecting with a crashing check hook or devastating uppercut, it’s a great feeling. Still these fleeting moments aren’t enough to salvage the game as a whole.

Final Verdict
    Probably the best thing about The Fight is that it gives you a breakdown of just how many calories you’ve burnt off during a fight. Poor design decisions combine with a truly intrusive calibration mechanism to produce a title that frustrates far more than it excites. There are far better adverts for Move, even at this early stage.
    4.2/10
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Ouch. i'll wait for a video review.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    I think this game is Hit & Miss depending on who is playing & how they play

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Thats pretty bad....I didnt expect a really high score but i didnt expect this either.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Thats pretty bad....I didnt expect a really high score but i didnt expect this either.
    This game requires more then just back and forth motions, I think that is where people are having problems. In Wii boxing you just waggle back and forth to win, in this you have to swing in a way that your character can connect with the opponent.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    This game requires more then just back and forth motions, I think that is where people are having problems. In Wii boxing you just waggle back and forth to win, in this you have to swing in a way that your character can connect with the opponent.
    Ill wait for more reviews but it looks like this game may end up being a dud. im sure some reviewers will score it higher but exactly how higher?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post

I did!

they are trying to bring a hardcore fighting game into a casual motion controlled world,

casual gamers are going to look and say ohh fighting game and just want to jump in and start swinging wildly and win but this game isn't going to let them do that because it wants you to really punch,

and a hardcore gamer might not want to punch around in front of their TV with 2 lit up controllers.

you can tell from the beginning of this review that this person wanted Wii Boxing.

Elite Member
    Damn. Move is off to a REALLY bad start. :/
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Master Sage
    EDIT: I just read it all and i take back what i said.
    Why the hell did they do a review based on using just one move controller for this game?

Are they really that unprofessional?

Think i'll wait for a real review.
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 10-29-2010 at 06:20.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I think this game is Hit & Miss depending on who is playing & how they play
    I can see that being the case. First of all for me I think I'll like the dark gritty hip hop 'adolescent' atmosphere the reviewer started his review off criticizing and expressing he was annoyed by this. Something tells me some folk just won't "get" a game like this which I think is the case for homeboy who reviewed this.
    I'm still looking forward to downing some brews and bustin some people up online and I think this game is for folk like me.
    When I see a 10 out of 10 review, I don't believe it. When I see a 4 out of 10 review I don't believe it. I'll wait for more hands on reviews, especially those of average consumers.
    It just seems this reviewer comes off a good bit snobbish at the beginning of the review as if he was pissed cause the game was too 'urban' for his tastes. I'd like to think he just don't know how to fight and the game wasnt as easy or cute as wii boxing for him. 4 out of 10 being an extremely low score I'll wait to see a review from someone more competent with the gameplay who hopefully was not as frustrated by everything in this game, including Danny Trejo.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    EDIT: I just read it all and i take back what i said.
    Why the hell did they do a review based on using just one move controller for this game?

Are they really that unprofessional?

Think i'll wait for a real review.
    Where did they say they reviewed it with just one move?
    I read it as they tried all different combos.

And I think their major gripe was the fact that you cant move your feet.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-29-2010 at 06:35.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Where did they say they revied it with just one move?
    I read it as they tried all different combos.

And I think their major gripe was the fact that you cant move your feet.
    Thats how i read it too. Not moving your feet is a real downer. It defeats the purpose.

Master Sage
    The game warns you in no uncertain terms not to move your feet or you will ruin the precious calibration. Fair enough in theory, but the game also desires that you feel part of an actual fight, and one of the key parts of fighting is footwork. No matter how disciplined you may be you’ll find yourself moving intuitively with the rhythm of the fight, and your calibration will inevitably suffer.

Thats just for calibration setup, not ingame.....

Forum Sage
    Totally gutted. If I can't get my fancy footwork on what is the point. Major shame. I had the same probe with the art style from the beginning but was willing to let it slide for a great game. This sux majorly.

I hope they sort move out so any movement out if the calibrated area doesn't throw it off so crazy like it seems too in most games. It's a major flaw and one not covered in any previews really.

Hmm when's the next move game out? Move has had a bad start it us true. Such a Shame for such amazing tech
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Ultimate Veteran
    Thats no good, footwork is actually pretty important in Sports Champions Table Tennis.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    I wonder what not moving your feet actually means in terms of the fact that the camera has nothing to do with tracking your feet, it's not even looking at your feet lol. It has no way of knowing if your moving your feet as long as you dont go dancing around the room floatin like a butterfly! I'm sure the game allows you to move around in a small space relative to the spot you were standing during calibration.
    The review reads as though the game expecrs you to plant your feet in one spot and not move them at all and this is obviously an overwxaggeration just as is the 4 out of 10 score.
    "when the stars align and you lean to slip a punch before connecting with a crashing check hook or devastating uppercut, it’s a great feeling." OK, here's what I'm looking forward to, Danny Trejo and gritty hip hop atmosphere notwithstanding lol.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post

Thats just for calibration setup, not ingame.....
    Uh no, its in the game when you fighting, did yo not acutlly read that bit?

Forum Sage
    It must be something to do with the gyros etc. Maybe table tennis tracks the ball more? But how the fight was designed may use the tech differently? So it requires you not to move?

Test it out with tumble and time crisis. Calibrate your move then move one foot either way and it messes up the calibration, and gets massively worse the further you move.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    Uh no, its in the game when you fighting, did yo not acutlly read that bit?
    OK hes talking about "moving intuitively with the rhythm of the fight" which I read as he is wanting to move about and follow his fighter around especially as the fight is throwing different angles at you. I do not see how moving around in a small area similar to how a basketball player is allowed to pivot in place without takin more than two steps with the ball in any direction without dribbling can throw my "precious calibration off." Again, the camera cannot see your feet, so you can move them, as long as you dont take too many steps away ftom the spot you originally calibrated from.
    Takin a step forward or bakward in Sports Champions Table tennis doesnt ruin your calibration, in fact it's required. The more I think about this review the bigger a douche this reviewer comes off to be. I think he's looking for wii boxing and this aint that game.
    " As such there’s the strange sensation of punching towards the PSEye as if you’re swinging directly at the target in question and then watching your avatar perform the same motion from a different angle, leading to a slew of depth perception problems." I dont even know what depth perception problems he's talking about here, learn how to time your punches and connect them with force and I dont see this as a problem. If the reviewer is having so much trouble with depth perception, I think he should get a 3DTV and stick to Wii Sports until he gets one.
    With Time Crisis and MAG I know i often switch positions movin a little closer or further back and I haven't had any problems with calibration being affected an I cant imagine how moving my feet a foot or two to the side can devastate my precious calibration to the extent the reviewer is claiming.
    Last edited by swordfish64; 10-29-2010 at 07:23.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    It must be something to do with the gyros etc. Maybe table tennis tracks the ball more? But how the fight was designed may use the tech differently? So it requires you not to move?

Test it out with tumble and time crisis. Calibrate your move then move one foot either way and it messes up the calibration, and gets massively worse the further you move.
    it's because of the head tracking I guess.

or the fact that the game is going to need to know how far the controller is moving from your body to know how far you are punching.

like if you walk up to the camera how would it know how far your punches are coming from your body if it doesn't know where your body is compared to the controller?
    Last edited by ONQ; 10-29-2010 at 07:34.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by swordfish64 View Post
    OK hes talking about "moving intuitively with the rhythm of the fight" which I read as he is wanting to move about and follow his fighter around especially as the fight is throwing different angles at you. I do not see how moving around in a small area similar to how a basketball player is allowed to pivot in place without takin more than two steps with the ball in any direction without dribbling can throw my "precious calibration off." Again, the camera cannot see your feet, so you can move them, as long as you dont take too many steps away ftom the spot you originally calibrated from.
    Takin a step forward or bakward in Sports Champions Table tennis doesnt ruin your calibration, in fact it's required. The more I think about this review the bigger a douche this reviewer comes off to be. I think he's looking for wii boxing and this aint that game.
    " As such there’s the strange sensation of punching towards the PSEye as if you’re swinging directly at the target in question and then watching your avatar perform the same motion from a different angle, leading to a slew of depth perception problems." I dont even know what depth perception problems he's talking about here, learn how to time your punches and connect them with force and I dont see this as a problem. If the reviewer is having so much trouble with depth perception, I think he should get a 3DTV and stick to Wii Sports until he gets one.
    Its clear you want this game to be good, so I'd wait till more reviews come out, but in all honesty the reviewer has played the game, douche or not, you simply suppositining here, which is pointless untill you play it yourself. YOu may be right, you may be wrong

Veteran
    You know what I don't understand? How can this review be so negative when every hands on/preview has been mostly positive? Seems odd to me that we have heard nothing of these issues besides in this one review, and it's hard for me to believe that this would pass sony's QA if it was this broken. This website isn't recognized on metacritc and has only done 18 reviews. I think I'll reserve judgment for now.
    Last edited by edward_moffet; 10-29-2010 at 07:33.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    Totally gutted. If I can't get my fancy footwork on what is the point. Major shame. I had the same probe with the art style from the beginning but was willing to let it slide for a great game. This sux majorly.

I hope they sort move out so any movement out if the calibrated area doesn't throw it off so crazy like it seems too in most games. It's a major flaw and one not covered in any previews really.

Hmm when's the next move game out? Move has had a bad start it us true. Such a Shame for such amazing tech
    That's funny, I have never had any problems at all with any move game regarding calibration, I've even stepped out side of the calibration box area in sports champions and the game was still playable, in my experience the calibration of the Move has been nothing but rock solid.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    You know what I don't understand? How can this review be so negative when every hands on/preview has been mostly positive? Seems odd to me that we have heard nothing of these issues besides in this one review, and it's hard for me to believe that this would pass sony's QA if it was this broken. This website isn't recognized on metacritc and has only done 18 reviews. I think I'll reserve judgment for now.
    I've seen one good preview that was to do with the multiplayer, other than that I cant really say I've read a glowing previews, mostly ones saying that it was "getting there" and better thna the last time they tried it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    Its clear you want this game to be good, so I'd wait till more reviews come out, but in all honesty the reviewer has played the game, douche or not, you simply suppositining here, which is pointless untill you play it yourself. YOu may be right, you may be wrong
    I think I'm somewhere in the middle. The reviewer starts off hating cause the game seems to be too urban for his tastes.
    "A quick question to kick things off: did you enjoy the boxing segment of Wii Sports? You did? Ok, good. Now, and this is important, so listen carefully, at any point when playing the aforementioned cutesy boxing game did you think to yourself ‘s’alright, I suppose, but it would be much better if it had ‘gritty’ visuals, a hip hop soundtrack, copious/pointless adolescent posturing, and C-list film stars grimacing with embarrassment at the mere notion of their involvement’?You did? Well, be careful what you wish for. We would be prepared to forgive The Fight its various transgressions – although maybe not the truly painful tutorial featuring Desperado star Danny Trejo" This isnt wii boxing, hes hating on the game from the start of the review cause its too urban not as cute or vanilla as wii sports and later hates cause it actually requires you to aim and hit your opponents with force obviously causing problems connecting which wouldn't be there if a flick of the wrist or pretending to punch would have the game connect the blow for him. I suppose. And to answer his first question, no I didn't like wii boxing, thought it was wackk and never had any interest in touching it ever again.

Thread Information