Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    If consoles released in 2012+ can't match what single PC GPUs where doing 4 ears earlier then something is wrong. I'll be the first to abandon the consoles if that happens.
    Apples to Oranges...

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    ^In that Consoles are able to optimize better.

Rapture is right. It would be an embarrassment if they can't do it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Even with a GeForce 285, FFXIV can turn into a slide show at times @ 1080p. I'm glad no one is fooling themselves into thinking a console will support those high resolutions... Unless of course, you just really like $600 consoles..

APetePerson
    I just want to be able to go home in 2012 & play GOW4 in native 1080p in 3d running 60gps (120fps in 2d)

but that's not really gonna happen until the 9th gen

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    If consoles released in 2012+ can't match what single PC GPUs where doing 4 ears earlier then something is wrong. I'll be the first to abandon the consoles if that happens.
    im just saying...as it sits now 1280x720p30 is pretty much the standard right now...and even big titles are struggling to get there....

games next gen are going to be infinitely more detailed...and then we want a jump in res to 1920x1080 and to double the framerate??...we shall see...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Friendship is Carrots
    I never said that 60FPS would be the standard next-gen. I do believe 1080p and 30FPS will be the standard next-generation. 3D is optional. I really don't think this is an overestimation.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Elite Guru

Developers of games and movies can barely handle 7.1 surround sound as it is. 22 speaker surround sound? Forget about it. That is 8 years down the road. These guys have to start understanding we are in a time period where only what is necessary is accepted. Anything outside that realm is getting pushed backward. This goes under the category of unnecessary. 7.1 surround well done on Blu-Ray sounds phenomenal and anything running at 1080p looks phenomenal. So not sure exactly how far that resolution would push it ahead of todays current films and TV shows. I mean I can see the individual hairs on a mans head in the finest details on a TV show. Will this new resolution trully make that much of a difference?

Might for some games, but not for movies or TV. And it would take a monster machine to be able to push out todays graphical/physics games at that sort of a resolution.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I would rather see more focus on better AA and higher rez texture filtering.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I would rather see more focus on better AA and higher rez texture filtering.
    You will get both.
    AA is quite cheap on new hardware and with Shader Model 5 compatible GPUs one can program AA to work quite nicely with all kinds of deferred lighting.
    Also Lean Mapping and other methods to reduce surface aliasing caused by lighting equations seem to get more support as well.

As all future hardware are pretty good at computing as well, we will see increase in quality on stuff like shadows and increased flexibility will allow some nice antialiased shadow sampling. (among other things.)

High levels of AF is pretty much given as it hasn't been problem on PC space for years.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by vannawhites View Post
    NO!!!
    Why do you keep bumping old threads with spam posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelis View Post
    Keep it at 1080p, seeing as most games are sub 720p anyway. Let the developers have most of the resources for actual gameplay, AI, enemies on screen, better detail, rather than dedicating most of the resources to processing higher resolutions. The graphics are fine now, let the developers now have the freedom with the Next Gen consoles to create fully destructible worlds with completely dynamic environments, at the moment it's half arsed due to limitations.
    I also agree with this statement. Imagine what devs could do with games if they didnt have to worry about higher res. The possibilities are almost endless. At first i was disappointed that it wont have ultra HD but now after reading the complications and such, im very content with games running max 1080 for next gen

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasu View Post
    I also agree with this statement. Imagine what devs could do with games if they didnt have to worry about higher res. The possibilities are almost endless. At first i was disappointed that it wont have ultra HD but now after reading the complications and such, im very content with games running max 1080 for next gen
    1080p would have an additional advantage of having displays that can display it as native resolution. (unlike 720p)
    For menus and such 4k is possible, but for actual games it is just not feasible. (memory usage and so on.)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    1080p with pretty much every game running at a consistent 60 FPS would be better option. Ultra HD would be expensive and very unusable, i mean have you seen the cost of the few ultra HD tvs that have been made?

You could buy a brand new car!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Wow. We're going to need faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr better compression technologies, combined with higher storage capacity standard before this hits the consumer side of things. Plus that res is above current digital cinema res. Would like to see Sony pioneer and push this though.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Wow. We're going to need faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr better compression technologies, combined with higher storage capacity standard before this hits the consumer side of things. Plus that res is above current digital cinema res. Would like to see Sony pioneer and push this though.
    Technology for displaying higher resolutions is coming quite fast to theaters and has been available for movie makers for a while.
    http://www.red.com/products/epic
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Who gives a $#@! what it will not have, not me.

Dedicated Member

All I really want from PS4 is some backwards compatibility Love for the PS3! Everything else will be just great I'm sure.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Technology for displaying higher resolutions is coming quite fast to theaters and has been available for movie makers for a while.
    http://www.red.com/products/epic
    Well yes there is that, but on the consumer side of things it will be a while. I just hope that actual 1080p becomes a reality across the board. Even AAA titles are stuck in the 720p barrier, if even that.

Quote Originally Posted by TOM2x View Post
    All I really want from PS4 is some backwards compatibility Love for the PS3! Everything else will be just great I'm sure.
    +10000000000000 Every time I read someone say that BC is not important and that whoever wants to play PS3 games should just keep his PS3 I cringe. Yeah, how I'll love to have a house filled with playstation devices to enjoy my ps1, ps2 and ps3 collection.

PSN ID
    Sleeplessace
    people just get to greedy then always want more lol.

Psn:Sleepelssace
    By recognizing the difference between you and others you establish your identity as yourself

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I think the PS4 should get a DL DVI-D/Display Port to allow for 120Hz output, that right there will make things a fantastic. People and TV companies won't move on from 1080p for a very long time now as it's only just been standardised and would cost far too much to replace the current hardware, let alone the bandwidth needed, so 1080p TVs are here to stay for a long time.

Forum Sage

Damn right. Once you go 120Hz there's no going back!

BBK. Tapatalking.

Ultimate Veteran
    1080p still makes very clean transfers of 35mm film, which was a standard used in many classic films. Any "UltraHD" format will be a departure from what is now a mainstream imaging format. It is also practical for living room viewing, even on very large screens. Simply put, 1920x1080 is a resolution that will be around for quite some time.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Good. I'm not buying another expensive TV. Now I can actually still buy the PS4. Anyhow, I think UltraHD and 22.2 sound would marvel if equipped in movie theaters, especially on imax screenings.

Thread Information