Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1020 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    Probably best to start off in this thread - some very basic tutes, resource links and general advice.

In regards to images:

• Try to find renders of the image you want to work with, saves you the hassle of cutting them out yourself (Planet Renders, Gamerenders and Deviantart are useful sites for these);
    • If you have to cut, you can always smudge the outside of the image into your sig background to cover up any blemishes;
    • You can always leave the image as it is, and just do some smudging, add C4Ds, filters etc

Just do tutes and learn as much as possible, the guys on the DS didn't start out with all the knowledge they have now, so keep at it.

PSN: Hohjirozame

DEAD SILENCE

Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Ok I'm gonna post here and get some help because I need it. I have never made a complete sig before so go easy on me!

I was thinking of ideas for the emotions SOTW. For the first one I really wanted to use this image below but I took one look at it and said no.

I don't know where you all find your images but please tell me and how you cut them out and put them in the sig. Like kwes sig, dude I don't know how to did that but show me please. And VB your sig with the girl where did you get that and how did you put that in there. I sit here in GIMP with the free select tool trying to outline a person in a picture and then cutting out the rest of the backround. The edges are always rigid and it doesn't look good all jagged around the edges. I would have loved to have used Kratos in that first one but it was such a pain in the ass cutting out I gave it up and went really simple.

And the second one I stopped where I was and thought, '$#@!..I got nothin else to put here. I've got all this open space in the middle and nothing to put there.' In terms of brushes, tools whatever else I can download (or something GIMP already has) please tell me what's good to have and use.

Make a sig like kwes Captain America one? Or that AC one? Not on your life! VB's with the angel? Nope! Fon's? FFFFF never! Or spy's current sig? Must be joking! I'm sitting here making these crappy cartoony things and I have no clue how any of you make these sigs. I mean really you guys are so talented making these really cool images with of these lighting effects and colors and all kinds of stuff.
    I used to be in your place, Pod man. It can be frustraiting trying to figure out how the program works but you'll get the hang of it, you'll see. =)

Adding a render to your canvas:

1) Google > search signature renders > click and save the one you like (the renders are already cut out.)
    2) Open GIMP> File > New (you'll see this):

Select a good sig size > Click on Advanced options > Fill with Transparency > Click ok

3) File > Open as layers > Find your saved render and open it > click on this icon to resize the render:

And that's how you add a render to your canvas. ^^

Watch this and you'll learn how to cut out images. Youtube has a ton of helpful tutorials, Pod. =)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jupN5wFWouc

This site will teach you nifty tricks.
    http://www.noupe.com/how-tos/30-exce...resources.html

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    All of us start somewhere. If you dedicate yourself in this then sooner or later you'll start making something better then what we make.

El Presidente
    Well I was just wanted to mess around with GIMP before I go to bed. I came out with this about half an hour later.

DEAD SILENCE

How did you make the flames? I'm guessing brushes?

El Presidente
    Yup is there another way? :O

El Presidente
    This stupid this is just annoying me now. I thought that was I following this tut word for word but it makes no sense.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/87/t...-c4d-tutorial/

I came out with this:

Another thing I hate these C4D things. They're all like that image ^ I tried to use. They come with all that black backround and I don't know how to get rid of it. It's just annoying now because all I can manage to do is take an image off google (like I did above other post) and add $#@! to it. I just do not understand these renders and C4D's and these tuts I'm finding really don't help. I need some actual help!

El Presidente
    .....Would be nice if they pointed that out there. Thanks it;s always stupid little things like that...has to be

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    .....Would be nice if they pointed that out there. Thanks it;s always stupid little things like that...has to be
    You don't really need to point obvious things like that out in my opinion.

Learn to do signatures here

El Presidente
    Tried to follow a tut. Not sure I like this very much but I'm trying.

Ceepeebee99
    Hey guys. Im quite new to graphic making and i was wonderin if you could give me a few tips?
    I use gimp because i cant get photoshop (long story)
    But let me know what you think and how i can improve?

Most were made to request so sorry about the names, i need new fonts haha.

DEAD SILENCE

Tried to follow a tut. Not sure I like this very much but I'm trying.

Not bad not bad. I like the effects, they fit the render. My favorite sig by you. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepeebee99 View Post
    Hey guys. Im quite new to graphic making and i was wonderin if you could give me a few tips?
    I use gimp because i cant get photoshop (long story)
    But let me know what you think and how i can improve?

Most were made to request so sorry about the names, i need new fonts haha.
    First thing I noticed was the variety of colors and your eye for matching the render/hue, nice job on that.

Tips:
    Adding a focal point sort of sucks in the eyes attention.
    Adding flow to the sigs. For example, if you have a horizontal looking render, make the effects go on a horizontal path.
    Layers, modes and filters are your best friend. <3
    Follow tutorials and learn your tools.
    Practise, make mistakes, learn from your mistakes, innovate, be patient, observe others and have fun.

El Presidente
    Well there was text here but I guess that disappeared on me. I wondered about doing more but I wasn't sure what else to do. Ideas, sugestions for the future?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Well there was text here but I guess that disappeared on me. I wondered about doing more but I wasn't sure what else to do. Ideas, sugestions for the future?

The idea behind this signature is great. I'm gonna give some tips on how you could maybe make it even better.

First of all, I suggest you blur out the background so the focal gets more attention. Then I suggest you try to get a nice flow to the focal with the C4Ds that you used. Now, you can set the C4Ds on settings like ''lighten'' or ''soft light'' etc. so they don't mess up the flow. You can also change the colour of them. Smudging shouldn't be done in a sig like this in my opinion. For a last touch, I suggest you do some gradient maps to get the colours in a smooth flow. After all this you could maybe do a small gaussian blur to blur out the background (remember to erase the blur from the focal because you want it to look sharp), and at last sharpen the focal.

Learn to do signatures here

El Presidente
    Well this is what I could come up with.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Poster

Well this is what I could come up with.

Well done, you did most of what spryde said...

When starting a sig, you choose a render, then find a stock that will go well with it as a background. Duping the render and using it as a background only works well in certain cases. It's too soon for you to start using C4D's so I'd lay off them for a while... stick to brushes and filters for now.

There is always a man, a lighthouse and a city.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

This was a test run for an icon I'm making for my brother. This particular one is W40K themed.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-11-2011 at 20:14.

DEAD SILENCE

Nice crystal ball. ^^

El Presidente
    Get used to seeing me here a lot more xD. Ok I need some help. Now obviously this is too big for a sig but I'll get to fitting things on a smaller canvas once I can actually make nice things.

Ok so this is what I have right now:

I then tried to so some lighting/glowy-thingy. Not very smooth looking but meh.

Now this below is what I wish to try and make. Almost all sigs I find have this kind of lighting effect around the main focus. Its fancy, shiny and looks cool. Perhaps this is too complex for me to do right now but it's a goal to keep in my mind.

That and those splatter effect you guys seem to do so well. Like spyrde's entry for the SOTW, the art one. I have no clue how you did that with the splattering spy but it just looks cool. So I don't really know what else I can do and add to this to make it look nice but please suggest stuff!

Unbound Mercenary

Did not go the way I wanted it to, but still turned out quite nice.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    That 'fancy lighting thingy' can be done by making the render bigger then using the dodge tool. The smudging you did looks awesome btw
    Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow some time. And kwes that looks good to me! What don't you like about it?

EDIT: Actually x6 how do you mean? I went crazy using the dodge tool on that left side lighting but all that seems to have done is make it sort of blurry.
    Last edited by podsaurus; 08-13-2011 at 02:12.

Unbound Mercenary
    Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow some time. And kwes that looks good to me! What don't you like about it?
    The color did not turn out right. Gonna have to keep tweaking to get it right.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

DEAD SILENCE

Get used to seeing me here a lot more xD. Ok I need some help. Now obviously this is too big for a sig but I'll get to fitting things on a smaller canvas once I can actually make nice things.

Ok so this is what I have right now:

I then tried to so some lighting/glowy-thingy. Not very smooth looking but meh.

Now this below is what I wish to try and make. Almost all sigs I find have this kind of lighting effect around the main focus. Its fancy, shiny and looks cool. Perhaps this is too complex for me to do right now but it's a goal to keep in my mind.

That and those splatter effect you guys seem to do so well. Like spyrde's entry for the SOTW, the art one. I have no clue how you did that with the splattering spy but it just looks cool. So I don't really know what else I can do and add to this to make it look nice but please suggest stuff!
    Awesome! you're getting the hang of it. You'll be surprised at how simple some of these complex looking signatures really are. You just need the GIMP know-how. Then you'll know how to make anything, really. Keep up the good work.

PSU Technical Advisor

DEAD SILENCE

Great work, guys. About your sig, x6, I love the way you handled the background and brushes. They compliment the rended. How about adding a light source? =)

My latest portrait. This one is based off In Flames - Fear is the weakness

Thread Information