Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Playstation 3] NBA Jam

Release date: 11/15/10
    Price: $18.99 (Used)

Back in the 90's the NBA Jam series was one of the most popular arcade games. There have been many versions of NBA Jam since then and the last real version was NBA Hangtime which released on the SNES, Genesis, PS1, and N64. Since then NBA Jam has tried switching to 3D and even adding more players on the court. Like most Midway games, the franchise was being milked and eventually lost it's magic. Electronic Arts bought the rights to NBA Jam and has resurrected the original formula of what was once the best sports arcade of the 90's. This review will give you the keys to determine whether or not NBA Jam can withstand the hands of time....

Graphics = 8.5/10

Great animations and hilarious expressions are what is in store here. The light effects and crowd reactions bring me right back to 1995. Keeping the photoshop cut and paste faces to the mix allows for picture perfect representations of your favorite NBA players.

Sound = 7/5/10

The original announcer returns with all of his "Razzle Dazzles" and "BOOMshakalakas". There is backround music while playing but unfortunately the playlist is short. This could be fixed the ability to use your own music off of your hard drive but unfortunately you can not. Like before there are certain dunks that will trigger some cool sound effects. For example, the helicopter dunk triggers a propeller sound.

Gameplay = 8/10

NBA Jam still has that old school feel and this time it is without the computer assistance. Back in the day a 30pt lead would cause the cpu to go lights out and hit every single shot they took. Your opp would steal the ball at will and it was very frustrating game. Thankfully that is not the case today. You will not be screwed out of your hard earned points and you will be rewarded for how well you play. There are 58 "Jam Challenges" such as:
    1. Dunk the ball 10 times in a game
    2. Complete the Remix Tour
    3. Score 10,000 points
    4. Get on fire 4 times in a single game

There are some new modes in NBA Jam as well. Classic Campaign, Remix Tour, Remix Modes, Boss Battles, and Jam Camp. Remix tour brings in some gametypes like Smash, Domination, Elimination, 21, and Remix 2v2. These will add extra replay value to the game.

Multi-Player = 8/10

I have played 6 games online and only seen lag in one game. Online the controls are just as responsive as offline and your win/loss records saves to the online server. There is a point progression leveling system online. Your wins and streaks grant you more points which then increases your gamer level.

Unlockables

NBA Jam is filled with unlockables. Everything from classic NBA players to big heads, to custom balls, to retro and disco courts. Here are some of the hidden players that I have unlocked:

Larry Johnson - Charlotte (New Orleans) Hornets
    Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman - Chicago Bulls
    Larry Bird and Kevin Mchale - Boston Celtics
    Shaquille Oneal - Orlando Magic
    James Worthy and Magin Johnson - LA Lakers
    Patrick Ewing and John Starks - New York Knicks
    Brad Daugherty and Mark Price - Cleveland Cavs

Overall = 7.5/10

NBA Jam stays true to the JAM formula and the added game modes will keep me enjoying this game for a while. In the end this game still gets "Lethal's Stamp of Approval" because it is still a solid game and stays true to what we all know as NBA Jam.

Also try, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition!

Pros:
    Legendary NBA Players
    Many modes of game play
    Tons of unlockables
    Multiplayer

Cons:
    Lack of custom soundtracks
    No create a player
    No roster updates

Last edited by Lethal; 12-16-2012 at 04:54.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Thanks for the review. I played NBA Jam growing up and I still play NBA Hangtime to this day, so I was looking forward to this. And it definitely seems like a great game to play during the holidays. However, I figured it would be offered on the PSN for around $30. So I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge or not. We'll see...

If the online is good, then that may convince me.

Superior Member
    Thanks for the review and like many i think the price will put me off.
    TFIGEGKTB

Not like many, Like most. This game will be hard to find soon, If it even stays on shelves.

If you look at "ANY" Review, The Comments are just RIDDLED with complaints about the price, Literally 90% of every comment I've heard about this game in reviews are people saying it's too much, And it's true.

Now on topic a little, Here's a few things that I would have liked to make the replay value higher, Making the value for the game better -

To play full Games, I know I know, It's NBA Jam, The classic game, But seriously, Imagine playing this game with 2 full 5 person courts, And having a full mini season with ladders etc and scorers etc? Pretty much have a Mode where it kind of tries to represent 2K11's career mode, But with the hilarious gameplay instead.

That alone would have made it worth the money, I loved this classic, But doing the same stuff over and over make it quite a "You'll even love it or hate it" game, And personally, Especially with the price tag, I'd have to be in the hate section.

There's no where near enough content in such an easy arcade game, There's only like 10-15 unlockable characters.... Surely it wouldn't have taken long to make more? Why not be adventurous and actually use up some of that discspace and have like 30-40 celebrities, Give US the option to have more ppl on court if we wanted, The game seems way too Limited for such a steep price.

Will skip until it becomes a $20-$30 title.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by iEatToothpicks View Post
    There's only like 10-15 unlockable characters.... Surely it wouldn't have taken long to make more? Why not be adventurous and actually use up some of that discspace and have like 30-40 celebrities
    There is over 40 unlockable players in this game... This list does not even include Bill Cliton, Obama, Bush, Cheney, mascots, creators of the game and more. There are probably 60 hidden players.

Last edited by Lethal; 11-21-2010 at 15:13.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Awesome review as usual.

I want to pick this one up but like many people I think the price is just too high.

Never heard of 70% of those unlockables, Haha!

Would have been better if they tried getting more bigger name people, UFC Stars, Other sport super stars, People in the Public eye often, Actors and actresses etc, Maybe then I'd be more interested, But since I don't know many of those on that list, It's pretty much pointless, Who cares about unlocking stuff that you know nothing about right ?

They could have packed this game much better than they did, And personally with the price tag and all, I wouldn't have given it any higher than a 7/10 So I agree with you on the most part, But this is Next Gen.

It isn't 1995, It's not fair to compare the price of the games back then to now etc, Back then, NBA JAM "WAS" Feature packed, And filled the cartridges etc, It's why it was very well praised, And IS a classic, This one doesn't live up to that at all, We pretty much got the same amount of unlockables, With this day and age technology?... Thanks for the stinge once again EA.

They could easily have post poned this for the PS3/360 since it was just a dumbed down Wii version at one point, And actually spend a month or two and just chocker block add it with HUNDREDS of unlockables, Have a hundred + Celebrities / High profile players, Give many more game options as "Options", Career mode etc.....

Don't forget, this game originally was going to be FREE With the NBA 11 game, All they did was add a couple of extra crap and they think they can pull that off as a full game?... At one point it was free, And now they've got a $60 price tag on it? Sorry, I wouldn't waste my money, No matter how often I play/played NBA Jam in 1995.

The game is good, Of course, it's a classic! But the content lacks MAJORLY in todays standards, Especially with such an easy to add/mod type of game like this, If it had 2K11 graphics, then of course adding new people would have been a nightmare, But I doubt it would have taken them long to just add more features, More unlockables etc...

Why not go a step further and bring a classic into the next gen era by having an OPTIONAL gamemode where you can fight and punch other players, Maybe have unlocks for knifes etc which slows down other players etc... The potential for this Classic to come to this day and age, And have enough content to actually have good replaybility is lost by EA who are just money hungry after their **** poor effort of NBA 11 was cancelled.

That being said, I'd have given this game a 6.5/10, Though with a better price tag, Would get a much higher rating, And if it stayed at the price it is now, But with many more added stuff, It'd have been almost a 100% buy day one, Not with how stale this game gets after an afernoon playing..... "And I still play the classic occasionally!" The price tag makes this title look completely ugly for what you actually get.

I loved your review though, And Agree on most of it by the way!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm going to have to pretty much agree with Toothpicks here. This is just another example of EA's philosophy on gaming these days. $20 at most is what I'd spend on this.

Forum Elder
    Nice review as usual Lethal !

I got my copy yesterday, even though i didn't have time to play for very long, the game is pure awesome arcade stuff. The dunks are as fun as they were back in the days. The announcer is as usual, totally funny !

I'm glad i bought it but i agree with people who complain about the price, it's a little too much for a game like that nowdays. Not that it's not worth it, but there's a lot of titles on PSN that are pretty much bigger and cost less... it's all about value...

I will keep this one in my library for a long time, this is the kind of game you wanna play for some brainless fun.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    The price is the only thing bringing this game down though. This is the NBA Jam we all loved to play growing up. Whether you pay $50 or $5 for this game, you will have fun with it.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    The price is the only thing bringing this game down though. This is the NBA Jam we all loved to play growing up. Whether you pay $50 or $5 for this game, you will have fun with it.
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I'm hoping though that's true.... Every second reviewer / comment I've seen on most other sites are saying the game gets quite stale after an afternoon of playing, And that after you do the limited amount of dunks and hear the limited amount of commentator liners, That the game starts to get a bore? One of those people actually owns the old game and still plays it.

I'm a little worried I'd buy it then get bored of it quickly!

Thread Information