Master Guru

What you should and shouldn't expect from GT5

I'm about to leave work on my way to pick my copy of Gran Turismo 5. I'm a Gran Turismo veteran, I've played all of the games in this series. I love it.

Reading some of the posts here from people shocked by the reviews, let me tell you some things you should and shouldn't expect from a GT game. And I still don't own the game.

You should expect:

-AMAZING CAR LIST: this is where Gran Turismo can't be defeated. You will get more than 1,000 cars. For the car enthusiast this is the game to get.

-BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS: the premium cars will blow your mind, the standard cars will look great and the environment and the tracks will look as good as any other good racing game. Let's stop here for something some people may not like. The vision PD has of the world is neat and clean. What does this mean? Everything looks perfect, like if it was a diorama.

-GREAT PHYSICS: this is a car simulator, and the core of the game is, well driving simulation, so the physics are very important to make it realistic. In that department, the game will deliver big time.

What you shouldn't expect:

-GREAT CAR CUSTOMIZATION: don't, if you want to change the visual aspect of you car, get other game.

-GREAT ONLINE ACTION: again, get other game.

-EXHILARATING AND INTENSE RACES: get NFS. Races in GT aren't that fun, it's more about you and the car.

So, don't let reviews decide for you. If you are a car enthusiast and love watching motorsport events on TV, or enjoy anything car related this is a game for you. If you don't like getting into driving details, and just want simple and pure fun avoid this game.
    PLAYING: DRIVER SAN FRANCISCO, TEAM ICO HD COLLECTION, BF3 BETA.
    GETTING: UNCHARTED 3, BATTLEFIELD 3, TWISTED METAL, LAST GUARDIAN (RELASE DATE?)

ManFurismoJive
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeriver View Post
    I'm about to leave work on my way to pick my copy of Gran Turismo 5. I'm a Gran Turismo veteran, I've played all of the games in this series. I love it.

Reading some of the posts here from people shocked by the reviews, let me tell you some things you should and shouldn't expect from a GT game. And I still don't own the game.

You should expect:

-AMAZING CAR LIST: this is where Gran Turismo can't be defeated. You will get more than 1,000 cars. For the car enthusiast this is the game to get.

-BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS: the premium cars will blow your mind, the standard cars will look great and the environment and the tracks will look as good as any other good racing game. Let's stop here for something some people may not like. The vision PD has of the world is neat and clean. What does this mean? Everything looks perfect, like if it was a diorama.

-GREAT PHYSICS: this is a car simulator, and the core of the game is, well driving simulation, so the physics are very important to make it realistic. In that department, the game will deliver big time.

-GREAT CAR CUSTOMIZATION: don't, if you want to change the visual aspect of you car, get other game.

-EXHILARATING AND INTENSE RACES: get NFS. Races in GT aren't that fun, it's more about you and the car.

So, don't let reviews decide for you. If you are a car enthusiast and love watching motorsport events on TV, or enjoy anything car related this is a game for you. If you don't like getting into driving details, and just want simple and pure fun avoid this game.
    I was really hoping for a much improved "racing" game but alas it seems not, i think im going to still pick it up today and give it a chance though as i did like GT5p purely for the graphics.

Races in GT aren't that fun
    Ooof. I was hoping I'd get out of grinding mode and onto the fun stuff soon.

Apprentice

You should expect:

The environments and tracks are only good for the new things that HAVEN't been ported from PS2 era. Japanese devs still seem to be stuck in the PS2 days it seems pretty much confirmed now.

You should expect:

I have to agree and disagree with some points mate.

I agree greatly that no game can come close to the car list etc.

I agree somewhat about the graphics, Although A "lot (Like, 700 or more?" of the standard cars are ports straight from gt4/GTPSP, And you can notice it A LOT since quite a few of the standard cars are VERY choppy and ugly, There's pictures somewhere on here and other places showing off just how ugly they actually can be, And the same goes for some of the tracks, Some of the reviews even point out how ugly some of the tracks actually are. "The ones that had been ported from the PS2" The special event tracks with day and night cycle etc are good, So don't expect Brilliance or GREAT graphics if your using the oridnary tracks with the standard cars. I've seen some gorgeous GT5 tracks, And I've seen some god damn ugly ones too.

I agree and disagree with the physics, Some places are stating it's far to forgiving crashing etc "Even though it's minor, Crashing is still part of physics" And it's not "GREAT" But, they do seem to be 'Good"! at least better than GT5P most are saying.

I agree customisation isn't really in this game at all, the whole aspect of the car paint etc is quite bland and so many cars online will look the same in the end, Which is a little gay.

Now to the things i completely disagree with you on.

GT5's staff stated it'll have "rich online features" And that it will be "Unlike anything else" The online side of the game had been rumored for one of the reasons for the delay, And that it was going to be like nothing else.

So With everything you said you shouldn't expect from Online, I find is completely wrong, Since the AI in this game "That EVERY proper reviewer has stated, Being absalutely the stupidest AI ever" That the online is what in the end would have kept this game ahead of the pack, And to be honest, Without this game having a rich deep online aspect, I don't see it being popular for too long, The single player even though is full of a lot of content, For most will get a little boring after a while.

I've heard in some reviews that the online is quite buggy, There isn't many modes for it, And theres no class selecting, Meaning most can just come in with any vehicle and race, So there will be a lot of hit and miss races. Which I find quite stupid if true.

This game IS SUPPOSE to have great online functions and features and racing, They've said themslves it was going to be great, Why wouldn't you expect great online racing in a console racing game? Quite stupid.... It's the Multiplayer of racing games which keep them fresh and fun to play, With the **** poor AI in this game, It better have decent Multiplayer in my opinion.

That being said, I agree with a lot of the stuff you said, But sadly had to disagree with some of them!

Personally, If they could just keep delaying this game they would have, But they probably didn't want another Duke Nukem scenerio, Seems like they cheap skated there way to getting all the content, And I find that a disgrace, They keep boosting about having so much cars, Yet I don't think they earn the right to do that when most of them are just ports anyway...
    Last edited by iEatToothpicks; 11-24-2010 at 16:40.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Fun is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't enjoy skating on ice and spinning round corners with very little control like NFS, or the fake sense of 'speed' and handicaps many racing games give you, or the utter borefest that is Burnout.

I DO enjoy out driving my opponents and winning a race fairly, getting a drving experience no other game can match.

Can anyone with the game confirm if there is audi s5 or a5 in there??? Didnt see it on the list.

Elite Member

How does the graphics hold up in split screen? I remember in GT4 things got really downgraded on multiplayer, but i was still ok with it. Should I expect a very distinct downgrade in this mode?

Thread Information