Serious Move Issues

Hi guys. I've been waiting for weeks to make this thread. Since my post counter was under 30 I had to make more posts, but I didn't want to spam every thread with useless information, so I simply just posted when I would have normally. It has taken a lot of time since my post counter seems to be divided by 10... :P

So here's the deal: For some time I've experienced a little lag with the move controller, especially when smashing in table tennis. I haven't really cared that much, but now it's becoming worse. Everytime I shoot a pretty hard ball the paddle freezez or flies around the screen for about one second. It really ruins the gameplay since I can't smash in champions cup, because the paddle hasn't recovered at the time when the ball is back on my side of the table.

It probably isn't the move controller; cause I have two of them and it's the same with both. One of them has been dropped in the floor a couple of times, but the other one is completly new.

Can it be the camera that's broken? Or do I use a bad background? I have a couple of bookshelfs with ancient brown and black books on them. Pretty bad lightning.

Please respond quickly!

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Maybe try hooking up a lamp somewhere near and seeing if its the lighting that makes it lag.

Learn to do signatures here

Dedicated Member
    It's gotta be your lighting or your background.

This may be a shot in the dark, but try wiping your disc off. My Black Ops game was freezing (not the online part) and it was because my disc was dirty.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Did you go to the settings in your XMB and recallobrate the controllers? Dark lighting will not be a factor in Sports Champions. In fact, you can play in complete dark as long as the camera can see the glowing orbs on the controllers.

Christmas Thief
    Where do you have the camera placed?

If it's too low, and you raise your arm up to go for a "smash," you may not even realize that your controller is going out of view of the camera. I noticed this happening when I had my camera on my TV stand. But when I put it on top of my TV, that problem went away.

edit: and yeah do what lethal says. Calibrate the controllers in the XMB. I have actually played Sports Champions in the dark before, and it was probably my imagination but it felt like it tracked even better that way.

Elite Member

there is also a reset button on the controller that you can try and use to reset all of the internal settings. if things get too bad try and reset the controller, resync it, and recalibrate it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I would check lighting first, secondly the controller. Your controller is probably telling the system 1 thing while the tracking of the ball is telling another.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    sounds like you going out of view of the camera, at least thats what mines does when i do.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    sounds like you going out of view of the camera, at least thats what mines does when i do.
    I think that might be what it is.

how much space do you have? & make sure that the camera lens is set to blue,

Okay, to answer some questions:
    I have reset both controllers severall times.

I have the camera on the blue setting.

I'm not out of view of the camera when I smash, it freezes every time I move the controller fast, even if my whole body is on camera.

I have the camera on top of the TV, maybe 1.8-2 metres from where I am.

I have re-calibrated the controllers severall times through the XMB.

Before I had a bright light just beside me, but I figured that maybe distracted the camera so I have tried to play without it, and it's still not working properly.

I don't think it can be the background, cause when I'm done with a cup and you're going to take a picture the background is almost completley black.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Try playing in the dark. Maybe your washing out the Move light with too much other light.

Does sound like a situational thing instead of a Move issue.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Member

maybe you got a bunk camera...

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenankle View Post
    Okay, to answer some questions:
    I have reset both controllers severall times.

I have the camera on the blue setting.

I'm not out of view of the camera when I smash, it freezes every time I move the controller fast, even if my whole body is on camera.

I have the camera on top of the TV, maybe 1.8-2 metres from where I am.

I have re-calibrated the controllers severall times through the XMB.

Before I had a bright light just beside me, but I figured that maybe distracted the camera so I have tried to play without it, and it's still not working properly.

I don't think it can be the background, cause when I'm done with a cup and you're going to take a picture the background is almost completley black.
    take a picture of your set up, maybe you have the PS-Eye where it lose sight of your hands when you swing, my camera is about chest level to me & I never had any trouble with any games, move your camera & see what happens.

unless there is something really wrong with your controller, but that can't be the case because you said it does it with both your controllers.

so I'm thinking it some how loses sight of you in the swing. does the controller turn read when you swing it?

Christmas Thief
    Hmm that's all pretty weird. At my place we've been pretty far from careful when it comes to the lighting situation. I really don't think that's it. And if you're not going out of view of the camera, then maybe something is wrong. Sports Champions should track your movements very fluidly. I've heard of a couple people saying their Moves weren't working right, and they exchanged them for new ones which seemed to fix all their problems.

Thank everyone for your support! I will try to test some more tomorrow or this weekend when I've got some more free time...

I am having the same issues. It lags about a quarter second. I noticed when the game is in the calibration screen that the camera is what seems to be lagging. I don't know if it's the same thing that is happening with you, but I thought that might be another thing to check to help figure out what the problem is.

I've been having issues as well and I'm starting to think it has something to do with the camera and the changes sony made to the usb ports after firmware 3.50. My guess is that the camera can't properly send data to the system at times.

I just fixed my lag problem with the camera. I dont know if this will help your problem but in the TV's menu. There was an option for game mode. I turned that on and now it works perfectly. I have a 120hz tv so dropping it down to 60hz fixed it. Good luck!

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by supadan323 View Post
    I am having the same issues. It lags about a quarter second. I noticed when the game is in the calibration screen that the camera is what seems to be lagging. I don't know if it's the same thing that is happening with you, but I thought that might be another thing to check to help figure out what the problem is.
    if you're seeing it in the calibration screen it might be that your TV has a small delay in it that you wouldn't notice when watching & playing most games but with motion controls you will see it. some TVs you have to set it to game mode,

edit:

I just fixed my lag problem with the camera. I dont know if this will help your problem but in the TV's menu. There was an option for game mode. I turned that on and now it works perfectly. I have a 120hz tv so dropping it down to 60hz fixed it. Good luck!
    lol I see you found it as I was posting that it might be your tv
    Last edited by ONQ; 12-08-2010 at 01:31.

Thanks for the effort anyways!

I guess there are always new features to find when you upgrade from a 30hz tv.

I have issues with drifting (I think it really has to do with the magnetometer) and with the controller seeming to lose calibration at one point, so it actually wasn't the same problem. Great to hear you solved your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    If you're seeing it in the calibration screen it might be that your TV has a small delay in it that you wouldn't notice when watching & playing most games but with motion controls you will see it. some TVs you have to set it to game mode.
    Shouldn't CRT's have good response-rates (please don't laugh at my old TV)? :P

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenankle View Post
    Shouldn't CRT's have good response-rates (please don't laugh at my old TV)? :P
    your crt should have a faster response time than almost any hdtv on the market if not every hdtv. unless it is total garbage...

Quote Originally Posted by left_senseless View Post
    your crt should have a faster response time than almost any hdtv on the market if not every hdtv. unless it is total garbage...
    It's a really good one... Was like 1500$ new.

Thread Information