Latest PSU headlines:

Anti-Hero

PS3 controller and Wii controler. Who had the idea???

Ok all the Wii fans are proud about their new controller. But they say that SONY stole the idea for the controller from Nintendo. But I have heard that it was Wiit hat stole the idea from Sony. Can someone please clear this up for me??? Who had the idea?
    Thanks

Ahead of the Game
    2 different types of technologies and 2 different ways of making that technology available. Like comparing apples to oranges. This will be locked soon anyway...

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    MS created a 3D mouse for the PC platform a few years back wasnt sucessful back then though. something like that so really we can just say MS was first but Wii and PS3 controllers are very differnet, wii is used for more interactive games like swinging around a bat or something while ps3 its just used for a extra feature where it lets you control more things like in car view or controlling a ship

They're two different types of technologies, but Sony came up with their technology first:

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4815

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...QPN=JP11099284

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
    Ok all the Wii fans are proud about their new controller. But they say that SONY stole the idea for the controller from Nintendo. But I have heard that it was Wiit hat stole the idea from Sony. Can someone please clear this up for me??? Who had the idea?
    Thanks
    It was one person that invented the tire, but yet there are some many different companies that are manufacturing tires in world. It all about competition, who cares you came out with it first.

If there is competition in the market place the consumer is the one that benefits the most.

30.82Mbps<--Download----Upload-->22.80Mbps

Elite Member
    *rolls eyes*
    It does seem that Sony copied it, doesn't it? Problem is, you say the words "Sony" and "Copy" in the same sentence, a bunch of Sony fans jump on you.
    Currently playing- PSYCHONAUTS! Great game. Thinking about upgrading to next-gen maybe in 2010, because I only got my Xbox at the end of last year.

Always keep your words soft and mellow, for tomorrow you may have to eat them.

Veteran
    The timing of the annoncement made it seem like Sony copied Nintendo. However, they use the same technology, but different concepts. The PS3 is tilt, with the shape of the PS3 controller, you can use it to control the wheel in your car in ****pit view, you can use it to dodge out of the way or envade attacks, you can use it to shake a enemy off, you can use it to fly a plane. The Wii controller is like a stick. You can use it to aim and shoot like a gun, use it as a sword or baseball bat, a stick to control your band in a music game, drumsticks, etc.

So basically, same technology, different concept.

Superior Member
    Nintendo Wii? I read in an article that most PS3 developers were surprised with the announcement of motion sensing, more so than the rumbleless controller. Warhawk had what?...2 weeks before E3 to implement the motion abilities of the controller.

Sony was probably in the same mindset as Microsoft in thinking that motion sensing was not mainstream enough, but after seeing all the buzz around the Wii they decided to ride that wave. Which was smart of them as they lost the rumble feedback...a very big loss, maybe this will balance out that loss.
    !!!!!
    I'm willing to break them into pieces, crush them at my feet. - Hironobu Sakaguchi

Elite Guru
    Actually nether had the idea first, there was a company back in the mid 90's that made a motion sensing controller for the Playstation that you held like the Wii controller.

It was pitched as a floating joystick but it also detected motion while it was at it. It had some really weird name though.

I've got a video of it being demonstrated at CES 1995 (along with the Pippen!) but it's in real media format and a pain to get onto Youtube, I'll work on it when I can.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    FightingPhantom
    meh, rumble never really "Wowed" me, so the loss of it won't really mean much to me. I'm just anxious to test out the tilt.
    Now with added "Next-Geny-ness"

Elite Sage
    Haven't we had enough "You stole my technology! No wait, he stole her technolgy and then I stole your aunts' technology!" threads ?

Locked.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    Actually nether had the idea first, there was a company back in the mid 90's that made a motion sensing controller for the Playstation that you held like the Wii controller.

It was pitched as a floating joystick but it also detected motion while it was at it. It had some really weird name though.

I've got a video of it being demonstrated at CES 1995 (along with the Pippen!) but it's in real media format and a pain to get onto Youtube, I'll work on it when I can.
    I think he meant the idea to actually use motion sensing as a standard for their console, not who came up with motion sensing for video game use first.

Title: PS3 controller and Wii controler. Who had the idea???

He spelt controller wrong. No matter what anyone says it's Wii, not PS3.
    !!!!!
    I'm willing to break them into pieces, crush them at my feet. - Hironobu Sakaguchi

Master Poster
    Im assuming we havent figured out the lock feature yet?

Edit: Apparently so, I was just testing.

Superior Member

Yeah, while Sony may have had the idea before Nin, they definately stole their implementation.
    Nintendo Fanboy: 42%
    Sony Fanboy: 28%
    Microsoft Fanboy: 42%
    Periods. Not just for women, they're for your sentences too.

Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
    Yeah, while Sony may have had the idea before Nin, they definately stole their implementation.
    Or we just could say that Nintendo "inspired" Sony to use their patent.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Superior Member
    Also, the PS3 controller motion sensing was patented back in 1999. Theres a link to it somewhere on the forums.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidifiedPenguin View Post
    Also, the PS3 controller motion sensing was patented back in 1999. Theres a link to it somewhere on the forums.
    Yeah.
    And please dont start the "Sony installed the tilt when they saw the Wiimote"-debate. Cuz NOBODY has a link that proves that they did or didnt!
    But of course, if you actually do, i will be happy to read it^^

like.no.other
    To be honest, I couldn't really care less who came up with the idea first. Without initial innovation, "borrowing ideas", and competition, we wouldn't be in the position that we are in now.

I think Nintendo have got the more "complete" motion sensing solution, which is clearly designed to have the controller swung around as well as just tilted. I'm in a reasonably confined space in my current gaming den, so I welcome the PS3 controller and its tilt sensing-only approach. Games like Virtua Tennis are insanely playable with a standard pad, and games like Monkeyball will be able to make use of the tilt without too much effort.

For what it's worth, motion sensing has been around before SONY patented whatever they did. Clearly it was in the back of SONYs mind, but I also think it's fair to say that they were definitely influenced by Nintendo when they designed the current PS3 controller (oh, and SEGA/Microsoft for the triggers! )
    Phat boy gone slim!

Dedicated Member
    wow, i've never heard this topic before. Well i personally think it's kinda obvious what happened, but i'll probably get attacked if i be too blunt, so i'll say it in a very poilite and subtle way.

First of all, neither company invented motion sensing, or were even the first companies to implement it into videogames, so in that sense neither company copied each other. I think what is clear though is Sony were very...inspired by nintendo when putting the motion sensing into the ps3. Perhaps they included it after seeing fans reactions to the wii at TGS 2005, perhaps they realised nintendo had something they did not, so decided to create their own version. There are many possibilities, but i think most people would agree that sony would not have included motion sensing in the ps3, if not for it being implemented in the wii.
    If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Elite Member
    Who cares? Technology progresses, new features become standard.

Who were the first and second car companies to include power windows? I have no idea, but I'm damn glad the first one decided to, and I'm even more glad the rest of the pack did the same. I hate rolling a window down.

I don't really have any information as to which came first between wii and ps3 controller. Just thought I'd throw this tid-bit in. People seem to get somewhat offended on this subject for some reason, and it seems pretty pointless.

Forum Sage
    Because The_One forgot to lock this.
    "It's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace.

Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna
    get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are." ~Easy Rider (1969)

Thread Information