Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
    APetePerson

substantial PS3 price cut could be coming

he console wars get so heated every year, and this year was no differnt. Microsoft and Sony went at it head to head, but there was one thing missing. Normally when Sony puts a price drop on their machines, Microsoft follows suit and does the same to keep the 360 even cheaper. While the PS3 is a full model in every box, Microsoft has the opportunity to sell a stripped down version of their console so they can almost always undercut the competition.

Well perhaps Sony had a sneaky route of sending a price cut our way this holiday. At every major retailer there have been killer deals on PS3 consoles and bundles. On Black Friday there were several bundles with gift cards, games, and accesories. Well today even more deals stick around. At Bestbuy you can get 3 games and 100 dollars off a PS3, at Walmart you can get 100 dollar gift card with a purchase of a PS3, and at Amazonyou can also get a 100 dollar credit towards future Amazon purchases. Notice anything in particular here? They all offer 100 dollars off the 160GB version of a PS3 console, is this a sign a 100 dollar price drop is coming our way next year officially? Sony could have told retailers and kept it under cover so Microsoft didn't undercut them this holiday.

Note: Deals are United States based, other deals can be found elsewhere.

source:
    http://www.ps3center.net/news/4930/p...coming-our-way

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its possible, especially since the 360 is wiping the floor with the PS3 in US sales. That would explain why these deals are only in the US. Price cuts are usually done when a product isnt selling well and/or in response to a competitors price cut unless of course the product is still selling well despite the competitors price cut. But after seeing last months NPD numbers I would say Sony desperately needs a price cut in the US.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2010 at 06:32.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The PS3 is already cheaper in America than it is outside of America, and it still struggles this generaiton, a price cut isnt going to help it, because MS would counter anythign Sony tried to do.
    Sony arent about to price cut an already heavily subsidiesed console.
    You want to cut prices Sony? Cut them outside of America so your the same price as the 360 outsid eof America.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The PS3 is already cheaper in America than it is outside of America, and it still struggles this generaiton, a price cut isnt going to help it, because MS would counter anythign Sony tried to do.
    Good point.

Christmas Thief
    Or maybe Microsoft is just that good at advertising and getting the word out.

I worked with people who were convinced that they were paying for Live because they got dedicated servers for all their games. They used to always say I was crazy for playing Call of Duty on PS3 because I didn't have dedicated servers. The misinformation about PS3's online is deeply rooted in the average American gamer IMO. Microsoft played that perfectly, and profited on it in the meantime.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Maybe it's blind American patriotism.
    As an American, I can safely say patriotism or any other similar 'isms' have nothing to do with it. The 360 just seems to click better with the American gaming crowd and MS advertisements may appeal better than Sony's, despite the epicness of Kevin Butler. It's not like it is over in Japan or anything.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I honestly don't get tho, you get Blu-Ray, 1080P 60fps HD games, 3D, **** loads of exclusives, Vast array of third party controller support, built in HDD of actual use, wireless, FREE online... What does SONY have to do here? Physically give them away?
    1080p 60fps games? Aside from GT5 and Wipeout HD the vast majority of PS3 games are 720p 30fps as far as I know. Which other ones are you referring to? But I do agree with the rest of your list. PS3 is definitely the best bang for your buck for the reasons that you mentioned but apparently as Rapture said the 360 just seems to click with American gamers. Go figure.

Master Guru
    I honestly don't get tho, you get Blu-Ray, 1080P 60fps HD games, 3D, **** loads of exclusives, Vast array of third party controller support, built in HDD of actual use, wireless, FREE online... What does SONY have to do here? Physically give them away?
    Its really baflfing, I mean everywhere else the PS3 sells well, and its more expensive than the 360.
    In america, its the same price and it struggles.
    Maybe they should put the price up?
    not the same price PS3 is $299 & $399 with move, Xbox 360 is $199 4GB , $299 250GB , $299 4GB with Kinect & $399 250GB with kinect

sadly this is the truth when MS got into the console war they created a new league of fanboys that will claim everything the competition has isn't as good & they work at the stores & in the media.

Blu-ray is bad DD is the future

OMG Sony is trying to sell us a PSP with no UMD drive

all of a sudden Gran Turismo isn't good enough

Move is a copy of the wii

Kinect is like nothing we have seen before

but I guess Japan is the same way but I can't understand what they are saying or read what they type so I don't know 1st hand.

but from what I see it's unreal how they can look at something that's good & try their best to make it look bad.
    Last edited by ONQ; 12-19-2010 at 07:57.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    A substantial price cut sounds like a last ditch effort to stimulate sales and gaurantees Sony will make no more profits on the system.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Guru

Make people smarter maybe,and when its invented i want it to be distributed worldwide lol
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
    Or maybe Microsoft is just that good at advertising and getting the word out.

I worked with people who were convinced that they were paying for Live because they got dedicated servers for all their games. They used to always say I was crazy for playing Call of Duty on PS3 because I didn't have dedicated servers. The misinformation about PS3's online is deeply rooted in the average American gamer IMO. Microsoft played that perfectly, and profited on it in the meantime.
    this too. i remember my brother would say xbox cod is better cause of dedicated servers

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    there is no reason to insult american consumers.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    not the same price PS3 is $299 & $399 with move, Xbox 360 is $199 4GB , $299 250GB , $299 4GB with Kinect & $399 250GB with kinect

It still the same price HDD enables=$299

Ignore bundled motion controllers, no where, and I mean nowher else in the world is their that parity, regarldess of the arcade model.

Veteran
    Sigh, I feel like I post this in every freaking thread. The reason why 360 sells better than ps3 is because of Live, people want to play with their friends, and the 360 had about around 5 or 6 million (hell 3 million considering not everyone subscribes) people playing on live before any other console was on the market and those 3 million people have friends, and those friends have friends etc. etc.

Master Guru
    It still the same price HDD enables=$299

Ignore bundled motion controllers, no where, and I mean nowher else in the world is their that parity, regarldess of the arcade model.
    trust me that $199 is a big part of the sells

Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    Sigh, I feel like I post this in every freaking thread. The reason why 360 sells better than ps3 is because of Live, people want to play with their friends, and the 360 had about around 5 or 6 million (hell 3 million considering not everyone subscribes) people playing on live before any other console was on the market and those 3 million people have friends, and those friends have friends etc. etc.
    not really because a lot of people buy it for their kids & don't even use xbox live,

it's more of the lower price of entry & word of mouth which includes xbox live.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I doubt that very much. MS marketing and word of mouth as well as Xbox Live more likely.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2010 at 08:29.

Express
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I doubt that very much. MS marketing and word of mouth as well as Xbox Live more likely.
    Then how do you explain the American cars everyone in US is buying? No one outside the US even touches them with a long pole. I would say 90% of American cars get sold in US. It's a guesstimate, but I'm not long off.

Patriotism in US and Japan is a very huge deal

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Express View Post
    Then how do you explain the American cars everyone in US is buying? No one outside the US even touches them with a long pole. I would say 90% of American cars get sold in US. It's a guesstimate, but I'm not long off.

Patriotism in US and Japan is a very huge deal
    LMAO . Do you even live in the US? Because you sure seem to have some very misinformed stereotypes about it. And I already explained the reason why the 360 sells here. Has nothing to do with "blind patriotism." lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2010 at 08:50.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    trust me that $199 is a big part of the sells
    If that is true then the PS3 will never gain any sort of parity.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    1080p 60fps games? Aside from GT5 and Wipeout HD the vast majority of PS3 games are 720p 30fps as far as I know. Which other ones are you referring to? But I do agree with the rest of your list. PS3 is definitely the best bang for your buck for the reasons that you mentioned but apparently as Rapture said the 360 just seems to click with American gamers. Go figure.
    I guess Microsoft's marketing has connected better with the American gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    there is no reason to insult american consumers.
    It wasn't an insult, every country has some level of patriotism.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I guess Microsoft's marketing has connected better with the American gamer.
    Yep, thats most likely the case.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Price and advertising /end

Power Member
    I don't see them doing a price drop this year anywhere. And I don't think it will help them in America. America just doesn't want quality.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Don't kid yourself, it's not patriotism.

Lower price and better advertising is why the 360 sells better in the US. It also doesn't help that it's become something of a pop culture icon here.

Superior Member
    Sup guys.

pachter.jpg
    I miss Squaresoft

Thread Information