Latest PSU headlines:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 8
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by gameplaya96 View Post
    The difference between Eyetoy and Kinect is much greater than the difference between Wii and Move.
    Eyetoy I agree, but I think the difference between Wii-remote and Move is about the same when it comes to PS Eye and Kinect.

1:1 is a big deal, being able to play in the dark is a big deal.

gameplaya96
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    1:1 is a big deal, being able to play in the dark is a big deal.
    I think Move fans are way too hung up on the idea of 1:1 accuracy, it hasn't hurt the Wii being less than perfectly accurate. For the games for which that kind of accuracy matters, you'd likley be better off using a regular gamepad anyway - anyone seriously playing an FPS or driving game online using Move please correct me if I'm wrong.

Playing in the dark is a big deal, but is there anything to show Kinect can't or won't ever be able to do this? Bear in mind reports they're about to up the sensitivity in the firmware, might they not also be able to make it more sensitive in low light conditions? Let's not assume what Kinect can't do after only a month or two of it being on sale.

Super Elite
    Yeah I play MAG exclusively with move, and I'll play killzone 3 with move aswell. Not for everyone many will shy away from the challenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Views and opinions of forum member cpitt, do not represent the views and opinions of ps3forums and any known associates, mods

Elite Member
    I think Move fans are way too hung up on the idea of 1:1 accuracy, it hasn't hurt the Wii being less than perfectly accurate. For the games for which that kind of accuracy matters, you'd likley be better off using a regular gamepad anyway - anyone seriously playing an FPS or driving game online using Move please correct me if I'm wrong.

Playing in the dark is a big deal, but is there anything to show Kinect can't or won't ever be able to do this? Bear in mind reports they're about to up the sensitivity in the firmware, might they not also be able to make it more sensitive in low light conditions? Let's not assume what Kinect can't do after only a month or two of it being on sale.
    I would argue that it has hurt the Wii - not in HW sales - but in the kind of efforts from 3rd parties. I also think having last generation technology for the basic console specs hurt them too in this respect. But I would argue that more hardcore gamers and legitimate Nintendo fans (not fanboys that like everything their preferred company name is on) would have liked the Wii more if they did implement 1:1 accuracy at launch. When Wii Motion + came out, it was too little too late at that point. Out of all the Nintendo systems I owned, the Wii was by far the least used. I know many other Nintendo fans agree with me there as well.

The Heisman

sounds an awful lot like wishful thinking...

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    I think where you keep it and how you treat it has a lot to do with it. I took mine apart after the warranty ran out and cleaned out the dust that had accumulated (like I would with any electronic equipment that moves a lot of air, like a gaming PC) and I don't smoke around my ps3 (as smoke leaves a sticky residue and leads to more dust getting stuck inside your console) and I keep it in a completely open space.

I've left it on for more than 24 hours, done long stints of gaming where I play for more than 6 hours, yadda yadda yadda, still works like a charm. If your console overheats so that the CPU or GPU gets fried its more than likely your fault in the case of the ps3, obviously if the bluray diode fails or something like that then that's just bad luck. This is what I've found in my experience.
    I guess it's my fault that Sony just did a bad job soldering the GPU and CPU, and keeping the system cool, they could have put a 19-blade fan in there, good thing the launch systems got them but not the 40GB model. But i guess it was my fault for not doing that.

Hopefully they drop the price of the PS3, or have some sort of budget model like the Xbox 4GB Slim. I really don't feel like paying $300 so i can get a game i already have.
    PSN name: ReMuSoMeGa
    41 games: Too many to list
    Currently playing: The Saboteur

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ReMuSoMeGa View Post
    I guess it's my fault that Sony just did a bad job soldering the GPU and CPU, and keeping the system cool, they could have put a 19-blade fan in there, good thing the launch systems got them but not the 40GB model. But i guess it was my fault for not doing that.

Hopefully they drop the price of the PS3, or have some sort of budget model like the Xbox 4GB Slim. I really don't feel like paying $300 so i can get a game i already have.
    People have serious reading comprehension problems, go boo hoo somewhere else. I'm tired of this crap.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Veteran
    anyone seriously playing an FPS or driving game online using Move please correct me if I'm wrong.
    While you're not wrong, you aren't right, either. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Move is only 3-4 months old with like...2-3 shooter games with Move functionality. How could anyone possibly know if this will be a viable option in core gaming when barely anything has come out for it so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

APetePerson
    we may want to keep on topic- after all, that's how this thread was closed temporarily before

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    I do play FPS with MOVE... Since it came out I played MAG and now waiting for KZ3, Socom 4 and more... I won't go back to DS3 and I play in the dark!!!!!
    Sony BRAVIA 40" XBR4
    harman/kardon AVR1600
    1Tb PS3 slim
    500Gb PS4
    Toshiba S50D A
    AMD A10-5745M APU 2.10Ghz
    AMD Radeon HD 8500M
    8Gb RAM
    1Tb Hdd
    Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    People have serious reading comprehension problems, go boo hoo somewhere else. I'm tired of this crap.
    Seems to me he read it right. End users should not be expected to strip machines to clean them. Your statement
    If your console overheats so that the CPU or GPU gets fried its more than likely your fault in the case of the ps3, obviously if the bluray diode fails or something like that then that's just bad luck. This is what I've found in my experience.
    is absolute nonsense.

OT
    I can't see a price cut at all in the near or distant future. I don't think they need to at this point. The PS3 represents good value
    Last edited by chancer; 12-25-2010 at 13:08. Reason: spelling and extra info

Extreme Poster
    I prefer the traditional controller at all times, don't get me wrong. You can't beat the standard controller overall. No matter how accurate a pointing device is (unless it's a mouse).

1:1 is a huge deal to me because I want that kind of accuracy to have fun. One of the biggest reasons I never thought about getting a Wii console. Also, I would play with the Move for fun, never during online multiplayer...it's the experience, not the ease of gameplay for me. The only thing I'd substitute for a controller when I'm playing online is a mouse/keyboard.

lol. You're misunderstanding, I never implied that the Kinect can or can't do this, I'm still talking about the difference between Wii-remote and Move.

But for sake of the argument, while Kinect is designed to work around low-light conditions due to its infrared sensor (I believe), it will still lose its accuracy, regardless of how little, whereas the little $#@! thingies on top of the Move will always keep it accurate. Now...for a game where the rest of your body also needs tracking, I can see Kinect beating PS Eye/Move overall because PS Eye is not as good when it comes to low-light conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalEvangelion View Post
    would have liked the Wii more if they did implement 1:1 accuracy at launch. When Wii Motion + came out, it was too little too late at that point.
    But it's not 1:1...in fact, it's quite annoying too, you can tell it's an add-on and Wii-remote wasn't designed to have this add-on because when I was playing Wii Sports Resort with the Motion Plus, it kept asking me to recalibrate EVERY ROUND!!!

WTF! lol. ANNOYING!

Veteran
    Price cuts for the PS3 can't really be generalized in amount or date plus they have usually been tied to different SKU introductions. This is a brief approximate history (exact month may be off plus or minus a month):

July 2007 60GB drops to $499, 20GB discontinued
    Aug 2007 new 80GB SKU for $599
    Oct 2007 80GB drops to $499, 60GB discontinued
    Nov 2007 new 40GB SKU for $399
    Sep 2008 40GB upgraded to 80GB for $399
    Nov 2008 new 160GB SKU for $499
    Sep 2009 new 120GB Slim SKU $299
    Oct 2009 250GB Slim for $349
    Aug 2010 new Slim 160GB SKU for $299
    Sep 2010 320GB Slim SKU Move bundle $399

From this, it can generally be seen that new SKU happen in the summer, usually resulting in price drops for previous SKU and that some price drops occur in the fall.

It is very likely there will be a new SKU sometime around or after E3 2011, possibly a slimmer Slim with 32nm Cell and more integration of discrete components resulting in even less power consumption and a remote possibility for one or two USB ports in the rear. The new SKU will probably have 320GB for $299 and the 160GB could go to $249. With the PS2, Sony generally did not do $100 price cuts because they didn't need to and stayed with $50 price cuts.

Considering the PS3 hardware has been selling at some positive balance since early this year, that positive balance difference grows as the cost of components decrease and manufacturing is constantly being re-engineered (this is the way Sony does consoles and has been doing for more than a decade now). The cost to fabricate the Cell, RSX and Blu-ray drive are a quarter of what they cost 5 years ago. Depending on first party game sales, there is a good possibility there is a $199 PS3 SKU by fall 2011 with Sony still seeing some positive balance on each hardware unit sold. If the sales projection at E3 2011 is for 20 million then that would be a good indicator.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chancer View Post
    Seems to me he read it right. End users should not be expected to strip machines to clean them. Your statement
    is absolute nonsense.

OT
    I can't see a price cut at all in the near or distant future. I don't think they need to at this point. The PS3 represents good value
    MORE THAN LIKELY, that doesn't mean ALL THE ****ING TIME. Like I said, reading comprehension issues. And if you or the other person had cared to read on I clarified in another post that I DID NOT mean that the freaking ps3 was invincible, and even said that it is an inevitability with anything that you buy that there will be some that are just defective. All i was saying that, IN MY EXPERIENCE, quite a few (THAT DOESN'T MEAN ALL) of the ps3s that I have known to break were because they were basically stuck in a box and weren't kept in a clean area. God damn people act like I'm making personal accusations of negligence.
    Last edited by Staticneuron; 12-26-2010 at 15:13.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

Thread Information