Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

APetePerson

substantial PS3 price cut could be coming

he console wars get so heated every year, and this year was no differnt. Microsoft and Sony went at it head to head, but there was one thing missing. Normally when Sony puts a price drop on their machines, Microsoft follows suit and does the same to keep the 360 even cheaper. While the PS3 is a full model in every box, Microsoft has the opportunity to sell a stripped down version of their console so they can almost always undercut the competition.

Well perhaps Sony had a sneaky route of sending a price cut our way this holiday. At every major retailer there have been killer deals on PS3 consoles and bundles. On Black Friday there were several bundles with gift cards, games, and accesories. Well today even more deals stick around. At Bestbuy you can get 3 games and 100 dollars off a PS3, at Walmart you can get 100 dollar gift card with a purchase of a PS3, and at Amazonyou can also get a 100 dollar credit towards future Amazon purchases. Notice anything in particular here? They all offer 100 dollars off the 160GB version of a PS3 console, is this a sign a 100 dollar price drop is coming our way next year officially? Sony could have told retailers and kept it under cover so Microsoft didn't undercut them this holiday.

Note: Deals are United States based, other deals can be found elsewhere.

source:
    http://www.ps3center.net/news/4930/p...coming-our-way

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its possible, especially since the 360 is wiping the floor with the PS3 in US sales. That would explain why these deals are only in the US. Price cuts are usually done when a product isnt selling well and/or in response to a competitors price cut unless of course the product is still selling well despite the competitors price cut. But after seeing last months NPD numbers I would say Sony desperately needs a price cut in the US.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 12-19-2010 at 06:32.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The PS3 is already cheaper in America than it is outside of America, and it still struggles this generaiton, a price cut isnt going to help it, because MS would counter anythign Sony tried to do.
    Sony arent about to price cut an already heavily subsidiesed console.
    You want to cut prices Sony? Cut them outside of America so your the same price as the 360 outsid eof America.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The PS3 is already cheaper in America than it is outside of America, and it still struggles this generaiton, a price cut isnt going to help it, because MS would counter anythign Sony tried to do.
    Good point.

Christmas Thief
    Or maybe Microsoft is just that good at advertising and getting the word out.

I worked with people who were convinced that they were paying for Live because they got dedicated servers for all their games. They used to always say I was crazy for playing Call of Duty on PS3 because I didn't have dedicated servers. The misinformation about PS3's online is deeply rooted in the average American gamer IMO. Microsoft played that perfectly, and profited on it in the meantime.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

I worked with people who were convinced that they were paying for Live because they got dedicated servers for all their games. They used to always say I was crazy for playing Call of Duty on PS3 because I didn't have dedicated servers. The misinformation about PS3's online is deeply rooted in the average American gamer IMO. Microsoft played that perfectly, and profited on it in the meantime.
    this too. i remember my brother would say xbox cod is better cause of dedicated servers

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post

It really is this. The misinformation about the PS3, it's online service and its features is RAMPANT in the US and it shows on a lot of the forums. Microsoft successfully blanketed the PS3 in FUD when it launched, the press played along and now the better machine has an unshakable black cloud around it.. At least in the US.

gameplaya96
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Microsoft successfully blanketed the PS3 in FUD when it launched
    You can blame Sony for that since they were at it a year earlier:

• "the Xbox 360 is more of an Xbox 1.5 than a next generation console"
    • "The current Xbox will become antiquated once the new machine comes out this November. When that happens, the Xbox will be killing itself. The only way to avoid that is to support 100 percent compatibility from its [Xbox 360's] launch date, but Microsoft won’t be able to commit to that."
    • "Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan [karate master], and Microsoft is still not a black belt."
    • "Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun."

Shouldn't give it if you can't take it.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by gameplaya96 View Post

• "The current Xbox will become antiquated once the new machine comes out this November. When that happens, the Xbox will be killing itself. The only way to avoid that is to support 100 percent compatibility from its [Xbox 360's] launch date, but Microsoft won’t be able to commit to that."
    • "Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan [karate master], and Microsoft is still not a black belt."

All companies said some dumb stuff early on, the only ones i cant recall was nintendo. But didnt Microsoft Say that history have shown that the first console to break 10 million ends up being the dominant console with all the sales, how that go for them.

Nothing wrong with not liking the ps3, seems like you are more of a multiplatform gamer in which case i would not recomend you a ps3 for that purpose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Views and opinions of forum member cpitt, do not represent the views and opinions of ps3forums and any known associates, mods

Ultimate Veteran

Eh. I'm just saying what is is. Besides, I can't really blame Sony for Americans being SUV driving Starbucks sippin change you can-be-believin' in ignoramuses.

Microsoft knows America. You can put it on a shelf, but if you can't market it, it won't go. Americans want to feel like a part of something big, and 360 gave them that. Sony "felt" like the old guard to the consumer being rammed with 360 advertising, giveaways and Master Chief. That's how it's done. Sony's machine is the better machine, but it has probably about a third of the marketing budget. People here are fickle. They want Lady Gaga. A game isn't an epic game unless it sells well. They want Avatar, despite having seen Pocahontas already.

I'm not mad, and I'm not pointing fingers. I'm laughing.
    Last edited by Lefein; 12-24-2010 at 00:54.

gameplaya96
    Quote Originally Posted by cpitt View Post
    All companies said some dumb stuff early on
    Absolutely, but the criticism was raised of MS putting out FUD about the PS3 when it was actually Sony who started that in order to curb 360 sales whilst they scrambled to get their own console to market. All that nonsense about xbox 1.5, dual HDMI, 3x gigabit ethernet, eleventy million USB ports, etc, was designed to stimie 360 sales for the first year.

But didnt Microsoft Say that history have shown that the first console to break 10 million ends up being the dominant console with all the sales, how that go for them.
    Was the 360 the first console this gen to do that? Assuming it was, they could only base predictions on the data available, there was no precedent for the Wii. Clearly that's a metric which can be discarded for the next generation.

Nothing wrong with not liking the ps3, seems like you are more of a multiplatform gamer in which case i would not recomend you a ps3 for that purpose.
    It's not about me, it's about what most gamers buy and for the most part that's multiplatform games. Starting from scratch I'd buy the PS3 in preference to the 360, purely for free online multiplayer, though the wife is pushing hard to get the Kinect right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Sony's machine is the better machine
    Sony's machine isn't the better machine, they've been bulldozed by the competition over and over, without its heritage PS3 would have been stillborn this gen.

Christmas Thief

I forgot about some of those, thanks!

Sony definitely backed off of the "smugness" they had going into the new generation when they realized they not only had some real competition but that the average gamer couldn't afford a $600 game machine.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    A substantial price cut sounds like a last ditch effort to stimulate sales and gaurantees Sony will make no more profits on the system.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Veteran
    Sigh, I feel like I post this in every freaking thread. The reason why 360 sells better than ps3 is because of Live, people want to play with their friends, and the 360 had about around 5 or 6 million (hell 3 million considering not everyone subscribes) people playing on live before any other console was on the market and those 3 million people have friends, and those friends have friends etc. etc.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It still the same price HDD enables=$299

Ignore bundled motion controllers, no where, and I mean nowher else in the world is their that parity, regarldess of the arcade model.
    trust me that $199 is a big part of the sells

Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    Sigh, I feel like I post this in every freaking thread. The reason why 360 sells better than ps3 is because of Live, people want to play with their friends, and the 360 had about around 5 or 6 million (hell 3 million considering not everyone subscribes) people playing on live before any other console was on the market and those 3 million people have friends, and those friends have friends etc. etc.
    not really because a lot of people buy it for their kids & don't even use xbox live,

it's more of the lower price of entry & word of mouth which includes xbox live.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    If that is true then the PS3 will never gain any sort of parity.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post

not really because a lot of people buy it for their kids & don't even use xbox live,

it's more of the lower price of entry & word of mouth which includes xbox live.
    The lower price of entry is secondary though. If xbox didn't have Live and the year headstart the majority of people would be buying a ps3 over a 360 despite the 100 dollar price difference because of all the stuff it offers for that extra hundred bucks. Ps3 can match price/value Ps3 cannot regain that year headstart where the 360 established itself as the harbinger of online gaming.

And people are STILL in the dark about all that the ps3 offers. Things aren't as bad as they used to be, but barely anyone knows how robust PSN actually is and that it's free. Most people think that because Live costs money PSN does too. People don't know about the extensive exclusive library ps3 has. And really, lets face it, that word of mouth that has spread, the amount of 360s that have been sold because other people have them too, even if it isn't due solely to people wanting to play online, it's due also to little johnny hearing about little sammy getting one and wanting one too.

You're going to have a hard time convincing people that something else is better than something that's already ingrained in the culture of a large population of people. In 2006 you had 6 million people who had a 360 as part of their everyday lives and 0 people who had ps3. Sony was banking on the fact that many more people still had ps2 as part of their everyday lives, but it doesn't work like that. A friends word and what is popular culture (I.E the 360) supersedes any illusion of brand loyalty. The fact that it was 600 dollars and the 360 was 400 didn't help either. The thing about Live that really solidified the 360 in people's homes is that people now had a reason (besides just to own what was popular) to stick to one console and not jump ship. Owning the same console as everyone else now had a real advantage, you could play online. Whereas, in the past, it didn't matter as much what your friends owned because there's nothing really to gain from owning the same thing (besides being socially acceptable) and actually it was better if you owned something different because then you could each play the different games.
    Last edited by edward_moffet; 12-19-2010 at 10:40.
    I will say what needs to be said and take whatever consequences that carries.

5_Minutes_of_Funk
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_moffet View Post
    DING DING DING....We Have a winner!

In addition, If Sony were smart they'd look at why Apple has been so successful with its products 2x the price of competitors. This is the puzzle SCE has to solve for it to be successful in the future.
    Last edited by 5_Minutes_of_Funk; 12-20-2010 at 21:58.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Price and advertising /end

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Maybe it's blind American patriotism.
    Don't kid yourself, it's not patriotism.

Lower price and better advertising is why the 360 sells better in the US. It also doesn't help that it's become something of a pop culture icon here.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Don't kid yourself, it's not patriotism.

Lower price and better advertising is why the 360 sells better in the US. It also doesn't help that it's become something of a pop culture icon here.
    It is starting to get really annoying over here with the Xbox. Nothing to do with fanboyism if that's what anyone thinks.Sites, magazines, TV its all about the Xbox and the only time PS3 gets mentioned is for an exclusive. I'm getting down right sick of hearing about the xbox. Its like Justin ****ing Beiber over here! But PS3 is starting to get a little bit of recognition in the media but might have been a little to late.

Subject on hand would be nice to see a price drop.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Big-Boss-MSF
    A shame Black Friday is just a pale shadow of it's US counterpart in England

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    For some reason, Hollywood also takes a huge part in, Microsoft strategy here in the states. If, Sony really wants to move consoles then they need to reduce the PS3's price outside of the US. A price cut can also help here in the states but with very little advertising support, Sony can't do much. Europe is the way to go.

Power Member
    I don't see them doing a price drop this year anywhere. And I don't think it will help them in America. America just doesn't want quality.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffinator View Post
    I don't see them doing a price drop this year anywhere. And I don't think it will help them in America. America just doesn't want the PS3 .
    Fixed. And yep, price and advertising.

Thread Information