Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 132333 ... LastLast
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Nice! Keep that up

I did lift weights today but I didn't put much into it. My hope is once this semester is done I can get into a more consistent routine.
    You sound like me. The problem I see with that mindset is that there always seems to be something that prevents me from getting into a regular routine, and I feel as though I use other things as an excuse for putting off a routine for later. Then, once the time comes, I find another reason as to why I simply cannot get into a groove. But hey, you're not me, so perhaps you will have greater success. Best of luck!
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    You sound like me. The problem I see with that mindset is that there always seems to be something that prevents me from getting into a regular routine, and I feel as though I use other things as an excuse for putting off a routine for later. Then, once the time comes, I find another reason as to why I simply cannot get into a groove. But hey, you're not me, so perhaps you will have greater success. Best of luck!
    Well I could have very easily just not done anything, which is what I wanted to do actually but I'm happy I did something rather than nothing. I didn't go on the treadmill but that I really didn't want to do. If I can keep at it and do something friday I'll be good. Hope you can get back into it. Good luck!

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Yeah guys, remember that once you hit the weights you need to do it with a 100 percent mindset and focus. One good workout beats 3 sloppy ones.

Also like OSX said, it's real easy to make up excuses not to exercise. A study once showed that if a guy who consistently lifts weights, skips one day a week, there will be a 60 percent chance he'll skip a day the next week too. I see examples of this constantly; two of my friends have been sick lately. They use that to dodge out of working out. Now, I understand not working out when you're sick and then taking it easy for like a week, but they were sick like over a month ago, which means they're just lazy now. Stuff like this really messes up your progress, so think twice before skipping you workouts.

Learn to do signatures here

Super Elite
    You shouldn't ever workout when your sick.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    You shouldn't ever workout when your sick.
    True, but you missed the whole point of my post.

Super Elite
    You shouldn't ever workout when you are sick just bcuz you think you will get lazy. People who decide to make excuses to dodge out never really wanted to workout to begin with. They were bound to quit sooner or later. Most people in America only do workouts within their "comfort zone." These are the people who quit at the first sign of an excuse.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've been having to drink energy drinks before my workouts lately (i.e. Monster and Red Bull). It definitely helps get me pumped, especially now that it's winter time and I just feel like curling up and playing a good video game. But I hope I won't have to rely on it from now on.

Super Elite
    What's PWO?

El Presidente
    I've been debating if I should hop on the treadmill everyday or just MWF when I lift weights. What do you guys think?

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Guru
    I suggest getting on the treadmill as many times as you can, but also keeping it seperate from your weight workouts (if you can't, that's okay, just do your running after the weight workouts not before)

Question guys, how do you train your abs? I try and train my abs like any other muscle, I train 'em once a week with heavy weights + we have a lot of core workouts in my thaiboxing training so I get a lot core exercise weekly. But do you think it is better to work them out more times a week with just your body weight, or then just once or twice a week with heavy weights?

Super Elite
    Running and free-weight is what I usually do. I use machines if I'm lazy or if I just want to burn out. 7 days a week.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    You shouldn't ever workout when you are sick just bcuz you think you will get lazy. People who decide to make excuses to dodge out never really wanted to workout to begin with. They were bound to quit sooner or later. Most people in America only do workouts within their "comfort zone." These are the people who quit at the first sign of an excuse.
    That is not true at all. I have the flu and cannot work out. You know why I have the flu? Because I walked outside even though it was freezing out there. I feel miserable.

I would rather have not worked out that day, worked out when it was warmer, and not have the flu than to work out and get the flu.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    That is not true at all. I have the flu and cannot work out. You know why I have the flu? Because I walked outside even though it was freezing out there. I feel miserable.

I would rather have not worked out that day, worked out when it was warmer, and not have the flu than to work out and get the flu.
    Believe it or not, if you do have the flu, you probably didn't get it because you walked outside in the cold. You probably were exposed to it from someone else who has it. Its not a big deal though. Just take some time to get well and continue to workout.

14. Likes MentallyCritical likes this post
    Master Guru

Well it's plain ridiculous to go jogging outside if it's freezing. Why can't you do a simple workout inside?

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I'm noticing something more frequently concerning my eating habits. I've been more mindful about my hunger lately, trying to determine when I'm actually hungry. Over the years, the line between hunger and appetite has become somewhat blurred for me, as I'm sure it has been for plenty of people. I'm trying to eat very little off of appetite, and almost solely off of hunger. Moreover, I'm trying not to overdo it when I actually am hungry. I've noticed that it doesn't really take that much food to satisfy me, but my eating habits simply put me on auto-pilot, and I just keep on eating. So, I'm trying to fix that and re-establish a fine line between hunger and appetite. I have to learn the signals my body sends me, and learn to distinguish the two.

I've also noticed that I eat off of boredom a lot. So I'm trying to keep myself busier, so that I won't let my appetite get the better of me. Who knows how successful I'll be, but I'm excited to start another journey.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Well it's plain ridiculous to go jogging outside if it's freezing. Why can't you do a simple workout inside?
    That's exactly what I will do next time.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I'm noticing something more frequently concerning my eating habits. I've been more mindful about my hunger lately, trying to determine when I'm actually hungry. Over the years, the line between hunger and appetite has become somewhat blurred for me, as I'm sure it has been for plenty of people. I'm trying to eat very little off of appetite, and almost solely off of hunger. Moreover, I'm trying not to overdo it when I actually am hungry. I've noticed that it doesn't really take that much food to satisfy me, but my eating habits simply put me on auto-pilot, and I just keep on eating. So, I'm trying to fix that and re-establish a fine line between hunger and appetite. I have to learn the signals my body sends me, and learn to distinguish the two.

I've also noticed that I eat off of boredom a lot. So I'm trying to keep myself busier, so that I won't let my appetite get the better of me. Who knows how successful I'll be, but I'm excited to start another journey.
    I eat when my stomach feels empty and can hear it growling. If that helps at all eat when you can feel a hole in your stomach. Right now my is growling and I can feels it's empty. Just going to have a snack.

That's exactly what I will do next time.
    If your sick and it's very bad don't work out. I do find though (I have allergies so I'm stuffed up a lot) I go on the treadmill even when I don't feel great and by the end my nose is clear and I get some relief. I think exercising has an almost instant effect and clears me right up.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I eat when my stomach feels empty and can hear it growling. If that helps at all eat when you can feel a hole in your stomach. Right now my is growling and I can feels it's empty. Just going to have a snack.
    I'm assuming you're trying to lose weight?

If your sick and it's very bad don't work out.
    Yep, exercising lowers your immune system temporarily. So it would be wiser to just rest up. However, like you said, exercising helps when I'm feeling groggy and such. Makes me feel more alive.

Super Elite

You misunderstood me. I totally agree you shouldn't workout if you are sick, etc. What I was trying to say that you shouldn't be afraid of taking some days off just bcuz you think you will get lazy. Bcuz people who choose not to return to their normal workout routines after they get better simply never had the will and determination to really take to it in the first place. Sorry for not wording my previous post better.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    cortisol = no good. training one muscle 7 days a week is counter-productive.
    Jusg bcuz some guy said that on the "Doctors" show doesn't make it true just so you know. It's not counterproductive. People just like to say so to have an excuse to only workout every other day.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Believe it or not, if you do have the flu, you probably didn't get it because you walked outside in the cold. You probably were exposed to it from someone else who has it. Its not a big deal though. Just take some time to get well and continue to workout.
    Why if? I'm telling the truth, I am sick. Do people here think I am a liar or something?

Super Elite
    Why if? I'm telling the truth, I am sick. Do people here think I am a liar or something?
    He didn't say you are a liar, nor did he imply so. You are trying too hard to read between the lines.

The Godless Heathen
    no one is calling you a liar he is just stating a fact that you cannot catch a cold just from exposure to cold weather rather you have to be exposed to the germs that your body isn't prepared to combat which can more likely be caused by other people or usage of common spaces or objects.

everyone knows your sick he even advised you to take rest for a few days etc.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo

been a long ass time haven't been around here for a while now...

i haven't been doing that well lately...gained a bit of weight and picked up some unhealthy habits along the way...now i am back on track but the holiday season is kinda kicking my ass right now.

also trying to work on some better abdominals from now on what do you guys think i should do?

i'm looking for better chest and abdominal workouts.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm assuming you're trying to lose weight?

Yep, exercising lowers your immune system temporarily. So it would be wiser to just rest up. However, like you said, exercising helps when I'm feeling groggy and such. Makes me feel more alive.
    Only some weight. I know I gained some not working for 4 months. I think the weight will com right off being back at work and on my feet. Mostly I want to lose it because my jeans fit fine 4 months ago. I don't want to spend the money buying new jeans

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    Firstly, I don't watch 'Doctors'. And secondly, rest is million times more important than the workout itself. When you workout, your muscles rip, if you workout while those muscles are ripped and don't let them rest, how are they supposed to repair and grow? You will in fact lose muscle without adequate rest and nutrients. Muscles don't grow when your executing the lift, they grow when they heal. Even power lifters, IFBB bodybuilders and veterans of fitness don't workout 7 days a week or even one muscle 7 days a week
    24 hours is more than enough time to recoup. Hence why I do in fact gain muscle, plain and simple.

Also, you're muscles don't rip; They breakdown and dissolve.

Thread Information