Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 162636 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    That Zyzz dude is stupid and suicidal to have such a mindset. He really thinks that having muscles somehow makes his life less boring. Why do you support this, x16teen? I'm serious. The man is a drug addict.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Super Elite
    You keep parroting "steroids are fun" like it actually means something. Since when big muscles translate into "fun?" He was stupid and suicidal, or just really stupid, period. A plain drug addict. And I wouldn't call someone who got himself killed by his own hand "smart," would you? But believe what you want. I've already made my point.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Looking at those photos I can clearly see that he was on steroids. Poor kid. To be honest, he came a long way from a skinny body but his steroid use is just too obvious. He didn't do himself any favors by posting those two before pics. Anyone with a background in health and fitness can compare the first and third photo and immediately tell that he used. That is not the physique of a clean person. He said he'd rather be dead than normal. Be careful what you wish for.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 12-10-2011 at 16:25.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Hey guys, let's not forget what this thread is about. No need to get pitted against one another. We're here to discuss fitness and health matters, and there is no reason as to why there should ever be any heated discussion in this thread.

Anyway, I have a question for some of you EU members. This spring break I will be visiting Ireland, Wales, and England, and I'd like to get an idea as to what food I can expect in those places. I know countries like France generally have healthier, fresher, and more wholesome foods than you can find here in the US, and I'm curious if it's the same for the places I'll be visiting. If possible, I'd like to refrain from gaining weight over there, and instead maybe drop a couple of pounds.

So, what can I expect?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Hey guys, let's not forget what this thread is about. No need to get pitted against one another. We're here to discuss fitness and health matters, and there is no reason as to why there should ever be any heated discussion in this thread.

Anyway, I have a question for some of you EU members. This spring break I will be visiting Ireland, Wales, and England, and I'd like to get an idea as to what food I can expect in those places. I know countries like France generally have healthier, fresher, and more wholesome foods than you can find here in the US, and I'm curious if it's the same for the places I'll be visiting. If possible, I'd like to refrain from gaining weight over there, and instead maybe drop a couple of pounds.

So, what can I expect?
    Really man, I suggest you enjoy your trip as much as possible and don't worry too much with what you eat. Enjoy yourself, but don't overindulge either.

Learn to do signatures here

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Really man, I suggest you enjoy your trip as much as possible and don't worry too much with what you eat. Enjoy yourself, but don't overindulge either.
    Yeah, you're probably right. That's probably what I should live by all of the time. I tend to overindulge myself a bit too often.

Super Elite
    I've been making homemade pizza and pasta as well as flowered potatoes with cheese and veggies. I love cooking

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Feeling better and will start back walking tomorrow if I can.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    The only really dangerous stuff he took was fat burners like Clenbuteral and DNP. He only used Cell-Tech for muscle gains.
    You are really naive if you believe that. You can tell he has very high testosterone levels by looking at his bone structure. I told you before, the big giveaway is his before pictures. He may have been taking cell-tech but he also was injecting testosterone boosters too. Iv'e personally witnessed enough steroid use to know it when i see it. You can take cell tech daily and get 500 grams of protein a day for the next 5 years and you wouldn't look like that. The dude was on steroids and they contributed to his death. Most bodybuilders take steroids. Don't believe the hype dude. A clean bodybuilder doesn't stand a chance in hell in the sport.... I'm just curious..How old are you?

Super Elite
    Testosterone boosters can actually ruin your body's own ability to produce testosterone too.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    He was very open about his steroid use and he only mentioned cell-tech online as far as I know. He was also open about using Armidex and Nolvadex.

I'm 19.

INB4 You're just a kid and know nothing about life yet.
    Most steroid users never admit to using them. Cell-tech isn't steroids. It's basically just creatine. I don't know exactly what he was using but he definitely used them on a regular basis. If I had to guess I would say he probably used D-bol too. The reason i asked your age is because usually people who are uneducated about this type of stuff are around your age. The truth is that you don't have the life experience nor the educational background about something like this. Also I think you are a bit confused as to what steroids are. First you say he only used creatine for muscle gains and now you say he was open about his steroid abuse. If he was open about his steroid use then it shouldn't of surprised anyone that he died so suddenly.

Its ok to look up to bodybuilders because of the effort and dedication it takes to maintain their health and fitness but you can't just overlook the obvious drug use. The sport of bodybuilding is dying slowly and its because of the drug use and the lack of pay. No one will believe a guy that stands 5ft 8in and weighs 250-260lbs with 3 to 4 percent body fat got that way with just protein, food and vitamins.The sport is all but dead for women. Women figure competitions are more popular because they don't have to use the drugs as much and they get paid more.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Most steroid users never admit to using them. Cell-tech isn't steroids. It's basically just creatine. I don't know exactly what he was using but he definitely used them on a regular basis. If I had to guess I would say he probably used D-bol too. The reason i asked your age is because usually people who are uneducated about this type of stuff are around your age. The truth is that you don't have the life experience nor the educational background about something like this. Also I think you are a bit confused as to what steroids are. First you say he only used creatine for muscle gains and now you say he was open about his steroid abuse. If he was open about his steroid use then it shouldn't of surprised anyone that he died so suddenly.

Its ok to look up to bodybuilders because of the effort and dedication it takes to maintain their health and fitness but you can't just overlook the obvious drug use. The sport of bodybuilding is dying slowly and its because of the drug use and the lack of pay. No one will believe a guy that stands 5ft 8in and weighs 250-260lbs with 3 to 4 percent body fat got that way with just protein, food and vitamins.The sport is all but dead for women. Women figure competitions are more popular because they don't have to use the drugs as much and they get paid more.
    Cell-tech is slang for steroids. lol

You can't discuss steroids on bodybuilding.com, so people just say cell-tech instead. That's probably why he said that. I can see why you're confused.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    So, I've been looking into something and want to get a second opinion. I have what you could call "man curves", and they're perhaps the biggest thing I'd like to deal with regarding my body. I'm referring to my oblique muscles, and am looking to tone them out and in turn get rid of my "man curves". What is the best method to go about doing this?

I've seen some people with these curves work out extensively, and once they've gained quite a bit of muscle, the curves still exist. Frankly, I think it looks pretty damn bad. I plan on building muscle, but don't want to get too serious about it until I know I'm not going to end up looking like a fool.

I'd prefer to have more of a Bradley Cooper type of physique.

Superior Member

So, what can I expect?
    Honestly, you're screwed if thats your plan Ireland is pretty much potatoes and beef or chips. Also a lot of bread.

Elite Sage
    So, I've been looking into something and want to get a second opinion. I have what you could call "man curves", and they're perhaps the biggest thing I'd like to deal with regarding my body. I'm referring to my oblique muscles, and am looking to tone them out and in turn get rid of my "man curves". What is the best method to go about doing this?

I've seen some people with these curves work out extensively, and once they've gained quite a bit of muscle, the curves still exist. Frankly, I think it looks pretty damn bad. I plan on building muscle, but don't want to get too serious about it until I know I'm not going to end up looking like a fool.

You really need to focus on having a strict diet. Doing ab exercises is a waste of time if you continue to eat unhealthy. Start strengthening your core muscles. There are tons on abs exercises that you can do. Just do about 2 to 4 of them(3 sets of each)) with your workout. Adding some cardio on top of that will get you even faster results. Increase your daily water intake and eat smaller evening meals.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    You really need to focus on having a strict diet. Doing ab exercises is a waste of time if you continue to eat unhealthy. Start strengthening your core muscles. There are tons on abs exercises that you can do. Just do about 2 to 4 of them(3 sets of each)) with your workout. Adding some cardio on top of that will get you even faster results. Increase your daily water intake and eat smaller evening meals.
    Good post. "Abs are made in the kitchen" as they say, i.e., without a low[er] body fat, you're not going to see the underlying muscle. You can't develop your abs into visibility through 24% BF.

Core, HIIT, cardio with a good diet that's healthy, balanced, and avoids processed/sugars/high GI foods, and focuses on healthy fats, lean protein, whole grains, etc.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot

Like people already said, you need to have a strict diet to shed off that fat. I say 80 to 90 percent of weight loss comes from the right nutrition, the 20-10 percent is from exercising. Don't underestimate exercise though, especially if you have problems cutting down on calories, because doing your daily cardio (30-60 minutes) sheds off that 300-1000 calories from you! It also puts your body on overdrive for the rest of the day (especially if you do it in the morning) and speeds up your metabolism thus burning calories even after your workout! Also incorporating weight training alongside your cardio fastens up the process, as you're burning calories while working out and your muscles also require some to repair.

Learn to do signatures here

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Can't thank you enough guys. Plenty of great responses, all of which I'm going to take into account. Perhaps a morning run would be a good idea. The only concern I have about that my family tends to worry about running around alone in the neighborhood. It's not as though I live in a bad neighborhood, but knowing that my family wouldn't be fond of a morning run has always kind of discouraged me.

Also, a few individual questions. I apologize if I'm sounding like an idiot here, but I'd really like to get into specifics to get me on track. I'm doing my own research into this simultaneously, but you guys are always tremendously helpful.

For direct core workouts, what do you suggest I do? I've done some searching, but I keep finding varied results.

I'd really like to get some help in establishing a solid routine. I realize that the reason I often fail with things like this is because I never have a routine that is specifically made for me. It's always someone else I'm going along with, and hence, I end up abandoning the routine.

So, here's what I have so far:

- A daily, half an hour - 45 minute jog / run. Perhaps I'd throw in some HIIT in with that run, too.
    - Breakfast. What are good foods to have for breakfast? Something that often turns me off about eating healthier is that half the time, I don't even know where to begin when trying to make the healthy meal or find the ingredients to do so.
    - Lunch. I'm at school 5 of the 7 days of the week when eating lunch, so I need something that is easy to throw together, but also very healthy. Suggestions?
    - I get home at about 3:30. Should I eat when I arrive at home, then exercise? Or vice versa? If there are any healthy snacks you'd like to suggest, please do.
    - Dinner. Healthy dinner suggestions, anyone?

As you can see... That "routine" is far from complete. I'm obviously going to be doing a lot of thinking about this, as like I said, my desired results would be something similar to that of Bradley Cooper's physique. I'm really dedicated to this, and that's why I'm asking for so much help from you guys. I think that if I work with you guys enough, I can establish a solid routine that will, for the first time, actually work.

Forum Guru

- A daily, half an hour - 45 minute jog / run. Perhaps I'd throw in some HIIT in with that run, too.
    - Breakfast. What are good foods to have for breakfast? Something that often turns me off about eating healthier is that half the time, I don't even know where to begin when trying to make the healthy meal or find the ingredients to do so.
    - Lunch. I'm at school 5 of the 7 days of the week when eating lunch, so I need something that is easy to throw together, but also very healthy. Suggestions?
    - I get home at about 3:30. Should I eat when I arrive at home, then exercise? Or vice versa? If there are any healthy snacks you'd like to suggest, please do.
    - Dinner. Healthy dinner suggestions, anyone?
    Yeah, when you're running, hit up a 30 second sprint every 5 minutes or so, that'll activate those "fast muscles", break up the monotony, "confuse" your body which is good. You really don't want to develop into where you can go 10 miles and not get winded, you don't want adaptation (unless that's a specific goal of yours).

For breakfast, get some healthy cereal (Kashi Go Lean, etc.), skim milk ... bananas ... maybe some healthy bars line zone perfect. If you like oatmeal, then it is amazingly healthy, even with a little flax, some crushed nuts, a touch of honey for sweetness.

Also, eggs are outstanding, and here's how to make a delicious egg sandwich in < 2 minutes. Get some whole wheat English muffins (beware HFCS), eggs of course, even some 1-2% lowfat cheese. Pop the muffins in the toaster, then take a large round type coffee mug, do a shot of non-stick, break an egg into it, *lightly* break it up, cover and microwave it for 30-35 second (you'll usually hear it POP). The coffee mug will make it the perfect size and shape for the muffin, optionally add some cheese, and a tiny amount of SEA salt and pepper (as much pepper as you'd like). Also some good turkey sausage and bacon products.

Lunch is the most tricky since it has to be portable. Lean lunch meat sandwiches, or even whole wheat wraps with seasoned ground turkey meat. Microwave available for lunch? Boiled eggs, BLT with turkey bacon. We do brown rice and black eyed peas for lunch all the time, or black beans.

For dinner, brown rice (Uncle Ben instant is excellent), with fish, or chicken or a lean chop or two. Last night I did rice and stir fried (very light sesame oil) broccoli, onions, peas - tons of dry seasoning, a little lite soy, crushed up some peanuts, then cooked in the same pan some fresh trout with a little dry, then finished with a touch of brown sugar, honey, hotsauce and a splash of soy. Served it up in a bowl together (we even ate with chopsticks).

Tonight we're having grilled chicken salads, tons of fresh veggies, with chickened chopped up small, blackened, green salsa and a little lite ranch.

You can kind of eat anything in a healthy form, just watch for calories, sat fats, processed anything (boxed anything) I'd avoid. If you can't "see" the ingredients, avoid it.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Thanks man. I'll look into some of those. What can I do about a family that often eats somewhat unhealthy? They're not unhealthy individuals by any means, but some of the meals they cook are best to be avoided in a strict diet. Tonight, for example, my mother is cooking up some spaghetti.

Forum Guru
    Thanks man. I'll look into some of those. What can I do about a family that often eats somewhat unhealthy? They're not unhealthy individuals by any means, but some of the meals they cook are best to be avoided in a strict diet. Tonight, for example, my mother is cooking up some spaghetti.
    Portion control and healthy variants. I mean, spaghetti/tomato sauce can be excellent for you, tons of anti-oxidents, don't know if she's making a meat sauce, but at least that's a good protein source, even the olive oils and whatnot. The pasta itself is the worst thing since it's probably bleached/enriched flour based, so if the sauce is meaty, go heavy on the sauce, low on the noodles (measure them if possible), and make a big side salad with some oil and vinegar or even a _light_ serving of a +lite+ dressing. I make honey mustard on occasion, a little Dijon, honey, some seasonings a little EV olive oil.

Check out this *delicious* AND super healthy pizza we make (pre-cooked), with turkey sausage (actually lean ground turkey seasoned up), fresh basil, plenty of mozzarella, but the right serving size, and a thin wheat crust:

..and a fish stir fry with fresh red cabbage, and FRESH (like from the ocean to the pan) grouper:

22. Likes MentallyCritical likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Looks delicious, man. I really need to savvy up on my cooking skills. Quite frankly, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to cooking my own meals. A skill I have neglected to ever develop.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Oh my goodness DT, that looks too good!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    How healthy is Propel Zero? I've always wondered if it's actually ​healthy or not.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I found an article online concerning some ways to avoid social overeating. This will definitely be useful for those of you worrying about overeating this holiday season. Some pretty good tips, in my opinion.

1. Constant awareness of bodily feedback and sensation. Ask yourself, ďAm I hungry? Do I need more? Etc.Ē Being aware of your bodyís hunger signals is a skill that has been overridden by years of overeating due to food reward properties like sugar, salt, fat, etc., but itís a skill that can be relearned with practice. (from Brian Johnson)
    2. Donít go to an event hungry. Eat something healthy and at least somewhat filling before you go. This way youíre less likely to mindlessly snack. This was one of the most popular tips submitted by readers, including Cyndi Pauwels, Cameron Chapman and many others.
    3. Eat until youíre 80 percent full. This is a cultural habit that the Okinawans have, and it famously helps them stay healthy well into old age. (from Leo)
    4. Donít linger near the food table. Make a conscious choice to eat whatever you want to eat, but donít eat just because other people are eating or because itís convenient. (from Cameron Chapman)
    5. Actually engage socially with someone. If your mouth is talking, it canít eat. (from Kenneth Cummins)
    6. At a standing event, keep one hand in your pocket, and the other holding a glass of water. Unless itís a high-end, Roman-esque event with personal serving maidens, you canít eat what you canít pick up. (from Kenneth Cummins)
    7. Cheat without guilt. For one or two occasions a year, allow yourself to eat as much as you want, which doesnít necessarily mean to stuff yourself, but to eat without thinking too much about consequences. Two big meals on Christmas or similar occasions donít spoil a year-long habit of healthy eating. Don`t overanalyze, just enjoy, without any bad conscience. (fromAlessandro Shobeazzo)
    8. Plan behavior beforehand, and plan it specifically. If going to a place of feasting (holiday, buffet, free lunch, etc), make a specific plan for what you will allow yourself to do. For example, plan to eat a good portion of protein, one starch, and lots of green vegetables. With your plan, you can then acknowledge the urge to overeat, but not give in. Make sure to make a specific plan BEFORE the event and NOT on an empty stomach. (from Jonathan Pishner)
    9. Place your two palms together. Whatever fits in between is the approximate size of your stomach. Project that on to your plate and put only this much food on it. (from Ivan Staroversky)
    10. Drink lots of water and eat s-l-o-w-l-y. Eating slowly allows you time to hear the faint but clear Ďenough! enough!í cries coming from the belly. (from maggie dodson and Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti)
    11. Get over the idea of finishing your plate and be stubborn about stopping when youíre full. Most people are conditioned from childhood to finish everything on their plate so will keep eating when full. Be warned though that other people will sometimes get upset at you for not eating everything. Stick to Ďit was great but I canít fit anymore iní until they move on. (from Rhiiannon Dwyer)
    12. Try to count up to 15 chews per each mouthful. That will really slow you down. (from Hudson Gardner)
    via zenhabits

What do you guys think? Anything to add to that list?

27. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

Thread Information