Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst ... 313 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by iLake View Post
    Working on reaching my goal of 185lbs by sometime this year. However, I hear rumors that doing cardio/lifting on an empty stomach burns more calories overall. It seems a bit unreasonable and illogical, but can someone give me their imput on this rumor?
    I've actually been doing that for quite sometime and dropped about 10-15 lbs, mostly fat not LBM (lean body mass). What i do is on a mondays/ Wednesdays/ Fridays/ & Saturday for example, i would wake up/ skip breakfast (sometimes i had it sometimes not, didnt really affect me much....)/ head to the gym/ 10-20 mins doing some light cardio ( like a short jog or brisk walking NOT sprinting, etc)/ then you would hit the weights normally w/ another light cardio after.

On the days in between I'd wake up>skip breakfast>go to gym>then do 30-40 min of the HIIT stuff (preferably the elliptical machines b/c it didnt bother my knees as much). I didn't lift anything on these days.

But to avoid the weakness/shaking/etc that Vulgotha mentioned, you HAVE to have a good diet.
    I found that out the hard way when all i did was the 30 mins of sprinting everyday w/ the exact same inconsistant diet which lead to loosing lean mass rather than fat & the weakness feelings.

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by iLake View Post
    Working on reaching my goal of 185lbs by sometime this year. However, I hear rumors that doing cardio/lifting on an empty stomach burns more calories overall. It seems a bit unreasonable and illogical, but can someone give me their imput on this rumor?
    If you want to loose weight do some cardio on the morning before your breakfast, This result in burning fat rather than the calories of which you have ate that day.. For instance if you dont you have too first burn your calorie count from that days meals before you begin to burn fat..

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    Quote Originally Posted by MentallyCritical View Post
    let me know if thats too much or if i am overdoing it.
    Only you can answer that, if your body is coping with the workout and you continue to see results than I don't see why not. When it comes down to it, the main point of HIIT is the intervals of working close to maximum with adequate rest, if you're doing that than no worries. I remember mentioning HIIT I while ago, glad you've stuck with it.

And agreed with Vulgotha, normally if I'm doing steady-state training like going for a jog or walk I don't need the fuel - but if I'm going to be lifting weights or doing intense training I need something in my system to get me through it. My rule of thumb is carbs before the workout, protein/glucose after.

PSN: Hohjirozame

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Carcharias View Post
    Only you can answer that, if your body is coping with the workout and you continue to see results than I don't see why not. When it comes down to it, the main point of HIIT is the intervals of working close to maximum with adequate rest, if you're doing that than no worries. I remember mentioning HIIT I while ago, glad you've stuck with it.

And agreed with Vulgotha, normally if I'm doing steady-state training like going for a jog or walk I don't need the fuel - but if I'm going to be lifting weights or doing intense training I need something in my system to get me through it. My rule of thumb is carbs before the workout, protein/glucose after.

Which I agree is the right way although sometimes a pre workout shake does help me

The Godless Heathen

cool cool i think i'm doing alright so far , did about 8 minutes a few hours back.

okay now i have a question anyone here know any good tricks to lose man tits ? just the sound of that makes me wanna laugh. but yeah . As far as my experience goes i know that i have to keep at it with a **** loads of cardio & chest workout , there is not such thing as spot wight reduction etc. so I'm just looking for some tips or great exercises to get rid of them if you guys know of any or i really just need to keep at it.

Superior Member
    cool cool i think i'm doing alright so far , did about 8 minutes a few hours back.

okay now i have a question anyone here know any good tricks to lose man tits ? just the sound of that makes me wanna laugh. but yeah . As far as my experience goes i know that i have to keep at it with a **** loads of cardio & chest workout , there is not such thing as spot wight reduction etc. so I'm just looking for some tips or great exercises to get rid of them if you guys know of any or i really just need to keep at it.
    I would like to know this too lmao. If you don't mind me asking how tall are you and what is you're weight?
    

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So I started my diet today. Had a granary bread roll with wafer thin ham and saled for lunch, with a bag of mixed fruit for after and a bottle of water instead of something like diet coke. I intend to keep it like this to accompany my exercise but surely there's gotta be something more exciting than eating that everyday - I want a bit of variety. Any suggestions?

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Forum Guru
    You know, pretty much anything as long as you understand the nutritional content. We have pizzas for lunch usually once a week. It's a pita, with a low sugar marinara and a small portion of low fat cheese (plus you can toss on green peppers, onions, etc.). Just make sure you control the serving size of each ingredient. We also do hummus, tabouli (again, just not serving size, fat content, though both are loaded with really healthy fats).

A properly sized turkey burger, or like tonight were having chili, with lean ground turkey, tons of good protein (also from the beans) and anti-ox from the tomatoes, we serve it up on a big salad, and just control the "extras". You can make grilled chicken wraps (use a whole grain wrap if possible), mustard is a "free" condiment, definitely stick with water for lunch.

You can be really creative and eat really healthy. Last night we had stir fry: tons of veggies on a measures serving of brown rice a nice piece of grouper, tons of seasonings (dry ones are another freebie, just note your salt intake, and use sea salt), filling, healthy, and low fat.

If I can find my Men's Health abs diet program, I'll send it your way, I think I saved it from years ago.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HD_GAMER View Post
    I am just over 5"7 and at the start of last year i weighed over 17st (238lb).
    I believe I got to that weight because I never exercised and i over ate.

I got sick of being overweight so i decided to do something about it. First thing i did was cut out junk food like fizzy pop,sweets,crisps and I also ate very little white bread.

I also started walking to college instead of getting lifts from my parents.

I now weigh around 186lb and plan to get to 154 before Easter or Summer.

I have started doing some weight lifting recently too. Also my right arm is stronger than my left and this can make weight lifting difficult does anyone know how to fix this?
    use free weights or machines that work arms independantly. that way the strong arm doesn't carry th weak one.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    It's an advanced cardio/strength training system. It has a dozen or so workouts, that focus on HIIT, combined with lots of compound movements, flexibility, etc. It also operates around the concept of "muscle memory" in that doing the same workout over-and-over causes a plateau, and by varying your workouts, you "shock" your muscles (creating more damage, greater growth).

My wife uses a few of the workouts from the program.

Edited. Rep to iliketahps3
    Theres nothing wrong with P90x but just to be clear it's a fancy repackaged exercise product that you can pay a lot for. If you want well produced DVD's then great but all the info is available for free.

ComplyOrDie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    So I started my diet today. Had a granary bread roll with wafer thin ham and saled for lunch, with a bag of mixed fruit for after and a bottle of water instead of something like diet coke. I intend to keep it like this to accompany my exercise but surely there's gotta be something more exciting than eating that everyday - I want a bit of variety. Any suggestions?
    What are you looking to do mate? Lose or gain weight?

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy_ View Post
    What are you looking to do mate? Lose or gain weight?
    Lose weight and maybe build a bit of muscle.

A mate at work goes to the gym like four days a week and has written up a rough plan for me but I just wanna get some advice from a few people before I commit to anything. So, as said, I had a healthy lunch and I've started off with some light exercise - walking, cycling, the usual. However, the same mate did suggest getting some weights and a bar(?) to do some pull-ups. What do you recommend?

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

ComplyOrDie!
    So your looking to basically tone up and put "Good" weight on not fat..

Try to find the right mix between carbs and protein, You want just enough carbs to give you enough energy to see you through the day and your training. As for protein you want as much as possible because this is what helps your muscles grow and if you dont get enough of it your muscles will start eating them selfs for energy basically.. The general rule with protein is 1gram to every pound I do belive.. So work out what you weigh in pounds. Although it isnt a bad thing to go over. Try to get as much protein into you possible if you want to grow. I cant really tell you much as I dont know how you are going to be training, But Get a pull-up bar there awesome for core workouts.. Also another tip with protein I'll be honest. In my experience, having higher protein intakes can accelerate muscle gain. I gained the most muscle in the shortest period of time when I had a really high protein intake (most of that was from natural foods - i.e. 12 oz steaks, for example). However, I can also attest to the fact you can gain muscle with as little as half of your body weight in protein intake, and certainly maintain it. It's all about trial and error mate. When you know what training specificly you are going to do I will be able to give you a bit better advice..

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kryton101 View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with P90x but just to be clear it's a fancy repackaged exercise product that you can pay a lot for. If you want well produced DVD's then great but all the info is available for free.
    Of course, there's almost always free alternatives, especially when it's information. P90X is just put together to simplify things, but you can easily build an equivalent program from free online source material. Gym Jones has some great content: http://www.gymjones.com/ , but there are dozens of other sites, and a wide range of styles and structures to follow.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Here are a few things I eat quite regularly:

Breakfast

• Omellete - just use the egg whites to reduce the fat content, throw in some capcisum, mushroom, onion, ham peices and a bit of light cheese.
    • Oats - best cooked in a sauce pan (but a microwave can work too), you can use skim milk if you want, or just use water for the healthier option. You could even do half/half. I love cooking the oats, killing the heat and then adding in like applesauce/cinnamon, rasberries/blueberries, peanut butter and some whey. There are tonnes of combos out there.

Lunch

• Fajitas - I know they're normally a dinner thing, but seriously, cook the chicken/steak (with the fajita seasoning) the night before with a bit of onion and capsicum thrown in during. When lunch comes around, its just a matter of low carb wrap, avacado, chicken, salsa -> eat.
    • Quiche - throw in a bit of garlic, spinach, low-fat feta, sweet potato and diced tomatoes. One quiche normally lasts me 2-3 days if properly stored. Not to mention the eggs provide a good source of protein.
    • Sandwiches - My sandwiches normally consist of left-over chicken/steak I have lying around from the previous night. Spiced chicken, avocado, lettuce and and tomato is a great combo. My favourite is tandoori chicken, avacado with a bit of mint sauce (low-fat yoghurt+cucumber+mint).

Dinner

• Stir-fry - as DT said, they are generally cheap and easy to make, and a good way to get your veggie quota up for the day. Meat + spices + veggies + sauce, nothing to it.
    • Spiced chicken - there are tonnes of different spices to choose from, you can either get those little spice jars and sprinkle it over the chicken while its cooking, or marinate the chicken with a paste. I've recently been using 'Cajun' seasoning with a bit of onion and garlic powder, its so easy, so lean and I've got plenty left-over to have for lunch the next day.
    • Steak - grill up a steak and serve with some greens and sweet potato. Its pretty much coat meat in something like grapeseed/extra virgin olive oil, coat with seasoning then throw it on the grill. If you don't have a grill a skillet works just fine.

Other

• Salsa - this stuff is crazy good, low in fat/carbs/cals and goes great with anything. If your steak or chicken is too bland just put some of this on top.
    • Low-cal, sugar-free jello - I love this stuff, keeps the sweet tooth satisfied without making me feel guilty. Throw in a bit of fruit and fat-free yoghurt.
    • Popcorn - Natural flavour, none of this heavily salted, buttered stuff.
    • FF Cottage cheese - this is one of those things you either tolerate or hate, I'm yet to meet someone who loves the stuff. Its a great source of casein (slow digesting protein) so its ideal to have right before bedtime. Take it with a healthy fat (such a natural peanut butter) to slow absorption even more. Alternatively you can invest in some casein whey, its just a matter of preference.
    • Brown rice/whole wheat pasta - healthier alternatives, I think they taste better than the white stuff imho.

One thing to remember is you can eat something "bad" so long as it fits into your calorie quota. While I'd rather get my macros from wholesome and healthy foods, its not the end of the world if you're tempted into cheating - simply adjust your daily intake accordingly. Hope that helps, I just made myself hungry.

ComplyOrDie!
    Here are a few things I eat quite regularly:

Breakfast

• Omellete - just use the egg whites to reduce the fat content, throw in some capcisum, mushroom, onion, ham peices and a bit of light cheese.
    • Oats - best cooked in a sauce pan (but a microwave can work too), you can use skim milk if you want, or just use water for the healthier option. You could even do half/half. I love cooking the oats, killing the heat and then adding in like applesauce/cinnamon, rasberries/blueberries, peanut butter and some whey. There are tonnes of combos out there.

Lunch

• Fajitas - I know they're normally a dinner thing, but seriously, cook the chicken/steak (with the fajita seasoning) the night before with a bit of onion and capsicum thrown in during. When lunch comes around, its just a matter of low carb wrap, avacado, chicken, salsa -> eat.
    • Quiche - throw in a bit of garlic, spinach, low-fat feta, sweet potato and diced tomatoes. One quiche normally lasts me 2-3 days if properly stored. Not to mention the eggs provide a good source of protein.
    • Sandwiches - My sandwiches normally consist of left-over chicken/steak I have lying around from the previous night. Spiced chicken, avocado, lettuce and and tomato is a great combo. My favourite is tandoori chicken, avacado with a bit of mint sauce (low-fat yoghurt+cucumber+mint).

Dinner

• Stir-fry - as DT said, they are generally cheap and easy to make, and a good way to get your veggie quota up for the day. Meat + spices + veggies + sauce, nothing to it.
    • Spiced chicken - there are tonnes of different spices to choose from, you can either get those little spice jars and sprinkle it over the chicken while its cooking, or marinate the chicken with a paste. I've recently been using 'Cajun' seasoning with a bit of onion and garlic powder, its so easy, so lean and I've got plenty left-over to have for lunch the next day.
    • Steak - grill up a steak and serve with some greens and sweet potato. Its pretty much coat meat in something like grapeseed/extra virgin olive oil, coat with seasoning then throw it on the grill. If you don't have a grill a skillet works just fine.

Other

• Salsa - this stuff is crazy good, low in fat/carbs/cals and goes great with anything. If your steak or chicken is too bland just put some of this on top.
    • Low-cal, sugar-free jello - I love this stuff, keeps the sweet tooth satisfied without making me feel guilty. Throw in a bit of fruit and fat-free yoghurt.
    • Popcorn - Natural flavour, none of this heavily salted, buttered stuff.
    • FF Cottage cheese - this is one of those things you either tolerate or hate, I'm yet to meet someone who loves the stuff. Its a great source of casein (slow digesting protein) so its ideal to have right before bedtime. Take it with a healthy fat (such a natural peanut butter) to slow absorption even more. Alternatively you can invest in some casein whey, its just a matter of preference.
    • Brown rice/whole wheat pasta - healthier alternatives, I think they taste better than the white stuff imho.

One thing to remember is you can eat something "bad" so long as it fits into your calorie quota. While I'd rather get my macros from wholesome and healthy foods, its not the end of the world if you're tempted into cheating - simply adjust your daily intake accordingly. Hope that helps, I just made myself hungry.
    And you just made me hungry

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame

Thats pretty much it, just gotta be persistent/consistent.
    If you don't mind me asking...what bf% (est) do you think you are right now? And what chest exercises are you doing?

ComplyOrDie!
    Press ups of course, Goes without saying cardio is the best thing.. Also if you have some dumbbells theres a excellent exercise i use for good shaping of the pec area. you hold DB's asif you where going to do a normal DB Press but you bring them down to your waist area slowly on the outside of your body then back up, I'l try find a video of it.

Dedicated Member
    I've recently added in resistance training to my typical cardio routines (50 - 70 miles/week stationary bike).

With free weights I do arms one day, chest and back the next and then everythird I'll do an intensive ab workout. I'm still keeping on with 10+ miles of cardio per day.

I eat a high carb, low fat diet with adequate protein to meet daily needs. I mostly undercut on calories (under 100 - 200 daily needs after meeting energy expenditure to cut remaining fat). Essentially I max out my vegetable intake, moderate starch of whole grains and lean protein source (beans, tofu) at each meal. I'm planning on purchasing rice/pea protein mix just to add in post-cardio work out supplementation, though unlike the majority of muscle heads I know, I'm going to spare my renal and hepatic systems of irresponsible overload.

The Godless Heathen
    Thats pretty much it, just gotta be persistent/consistent.
    If you don't mind me asking...what bf% (est) do you think you are right now? And what chest exercises are you doing?
    that i am.
    i don't really know how to measure that , is it measured by waist to neck ratio ?

Weight is - 74kg (drops every weekly/bi weekly)
    Hight is - 5feet 8inches. or 173cm
    BMI - 24.7
    Waist - 32ish inch or 81cm

i'm doing...well I'll just post all the stuff i do.

body wight exercise :
    Push Ups - 10-20 daily(Excluding one day for rest.)
    Ab Crunches - 50-100 daily(Excluding one day for rest.)
    Commando Push Ups - 10-20 every other day.
    Leg Lifts (in this you take your legs to 90degrees & slightly elevate them ) - 30-60 daily(Excluding one day for rest.)
    then i do a few obliques exercises don't exactly know their names but i do about 20 reps each side.
    also when my workouts are more cardio intensive then i'll go outside & get a few reps of pull ups in.

Dumbbells(10kg) :
    Curls - 5 reps each side.
    Hammer Head Curls - 5 reps each side.
    Overhead press - 12 reps each side.
    Standing rows - 5 reps each side.
    Shoulder shrugs - 5 reps each side

Dumbbells(15kg) :
    Curls - 3 reps each side.
    Hammer Head Curls - 3 reps each side.
    Overhead press - 6 reps each side.
    Standing rows - 5 reps each side.
    Shoulder shrugs - 5 reps each side

Barbell(35Kg) :
    Bench Press - 5 reps x2(might vary according to day)
    Bent over rows - 5 reps x2(might vary according to day)
    Overhead press - 5 reps x2(might vary according to day)
    Squats - 5 reps x2(might vary according to day)
    Deadlift - 5 reps x2(might vary according to day)

Cardio :
    i go for a walk ever other day when i'm not lifting
    i do HIIT everyday on my treadmill 5-8 minutes.
    i jump rope ever other day with the walk.

my pattern for cardio & wights shifts from time to time its usually like :
    MON-BREAK
    TUE-WIGHTS/HIIT
    WED-WIGHTS/HIIT
    THU-CARDIO
    FRI-WIGHTS/HIIT
    SAT-CARDIO
    SUN-CARDIO

i try to squeeze in one or two sessions of yoga in as well.

hope that helps

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    Looks like a solid routine.

Regarding the chest, try incorporating some dumbbells and incline/decline exercises. I would suggest trying out Flys, Incline Press, Decline Pushups and Chest Dips.

The Godless Heathen
    Looks like a solid routine.

Regarding the chest, try incorporating some dumbbells and incline/decline exercises. I would suggest trying out Flys, Incline Press, Decline Pushups and Chest Dips.
    i do do some decline push ups & I'll try to do some incline dumbbell press using the ball. i'll try to some of the other stuff as well. thanks mate

ComplyOrDie!
    Some good scales in a supermarket or something would measure your BF% for you.

El Presidente
    +rep

This is really good reference for me. Thank you! I try to work out when I can and I do it for general fitness. Just so I feel better and it makes manual labor around the house and work easier.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

The Godless Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy_ View Post
    Some good scales in a supermarket or something would measure your BF% for you.
    i live in a backward corner of india at the moment so i can't get that...

@podsaurus glad ya like it

Thread Information