Latest PSU headlines:

Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 273747 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 925 of 1808
  1. #901
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    7.5k calories a day...:-O
    Building muscle is one of the most calorically taxing processes in the body.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  2. #902
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,562
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,103,978 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Building muscle is one of the most calorically taxing processes in the body.
    Yeah, it's crazy. I'll never get to that kind of intake as it's not my goal to build that amount of muscle but man would I struggle to get those calories haha.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  3. #903
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Yeah, it's crazy. I'll never get to that kind of intake as it's not my goal to build that amount of muscle but man would I struggle to get those calories haha.
    It gets easier as your stomach continually adjusts to the calories. The problem is more about the cost of eating that much every day. :P I'm not going for big anymore, just mid-size and shredded. Much easier to maintain.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  4. #904
    Master Poster
    TheBreezyBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,450
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    16,440 (0 Banked)
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    So, today i finally started to workout again after a very long hiatus, Injury, Sickness and work. Almost 2 months now not a single workout was done.

    I checked my weigh, fat & muscle percentage, and it came as follows:

    97.6KG or about 210 pounds
    21% fat
    38.9% muscle

    My workout will consist of Rope jumps, push ups, Running, Stretching and some Abs crunching. Oh, almost forgot, Breakdancing as the main workout!

    Any motivation would be helpful from now on




  5. #905
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    So, today i finally started to workout again after a very long hiatus, Injury, Sickness and work. Almost 2 months now not a single workout was done.

    I checked my weigh, fat & muscle percentage, and it came as follows:

    97.6KG or about 210 pounds
    21% fat
    38.9% muscle

    My workout will consist of Rope jumps, push ups, Running, Stretching and some Abs crunching. Oh, almost forgot, Breakdancing as the main workout!

    Any motivation would be helpful from now on
    Ease your way back into it, buddy. Just remember that your tendons and ligaments need to adjust before your muscles do. Also, treat stretching as much as part of your regimen as your workouts. It's something a lot of people tend to neglect, but provides a lot of benefit.

    Also, I've come to realize you should look for ways to motivate yourself, not look for reassurance in others, because it's hard to come by.

    “You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.” – Pursuit of Happyness

    I think you'll do great. Keep at it, bro. Don't ever let people discourage you.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  6. #906
    Master Poster
    TheBreezyBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,450
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    16,440 (0 Banked)
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Ease your way back into it, buddy. Just remember that your tendons and ligaments need to adjust before your muscles do. Also, treat stretching as much as part of your regimen as your workouts. It's something a lot of people tend to neglect, but provides a lot of benefit.

    Also, I've come to realize you should look for ways to motivate yourself, not look for reassurance in others, because it's hard to come by.

    “You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.” – Pursuit of Happyness

    I think you'll do great. Keep at it, bro. Don't ever let people discourage you.
    Breakdancing, makes me stretch for more than 2 hours sometimes!! so the stretching part is covered for sure.

    The motivation part, you just gave me a push by mentioning that Quote from one of my favorite Movies! stuff like this is what i'm actually looking for just to get me pumped and practice a lot more.

    Thanks Bro. I'll be posting weekly gains and updated weight and Percentage. Hope that will help people get motivated and practice a lot more




  7. #907
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Breakdancing, makes me stretch for more than 2 hours sometimes!! so the stretching part is covered for sure.

    The motivation part, you just gave me a push by mentioning that Quote from one of my favorite Movies! stuff like this is what i'm actually looking for just to get me pumped and practice a lot more.

    Thanks Bro. I'll be posting weekly gains and updated weight and Percentage. Hope that will help people get motivated and practice a lot more
    Sounds awesome, keep us posted.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  8. Likes TheBreezyBB wishes they had posted this first.
  9. #908
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,132
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    956 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Hey, usually after a workout or through the day, my body prefers milk over water. When I drink milk, I just feel better but when I drink water I feel pale and have less energy.

    I'm thinking the water isn't putting the nutrients back in my body, hence why I prefer milk because it has a lot nutrients. What do you guys think?
    actually- within 20 minutes of working out they say its best to have a protein shake ~20g...

    milk is a decent choice bc I believe 1 8oz glass = ~10g protein.

    obviously u need to rehydrate too

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    there is no liquid you can put in your body that is has more benefits than water. After a workout i would highly recommend water over the milk. If you are consuming a lot of milk it should at least be non-fat.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  10. #909
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,489
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,089 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post

    To the person that said water is better than milk, you're seriously confused
    .

    I don't think so my friend. There is nothing better for your body than water. Milk may contain more nutrients but water is essential and vital to your health. The benefits of it far outweigh any other liquid....including the mighty gatorade. Now, if a person wants to replace electrolytes after sweating a lot then I would suggest maybe gatorade (which has water in it also)or mineral rich electrolyte water. You can find it at any store. Or you can add a little salt to water to help maintain your sodium levels.

    Water contains zero electrolytes and isn't the best thing to drink when one needs replenishment with said electrolytes.
    That may be true but how much milk do you see on the sidelines at any sports game? No, you see electrolyte replacements along with water. Stuff like gatorade is made mostly of, sodium, carbs, sugar, syrup(for flavor of the drink)and the main ingredient water.

    Milk is great in any situation and milk is 80% water so he's getting hydrated regardless. Gatorade is also fantastic, though I prefer the powdered Gatorade because it contains glucose and immediately replenishes muscle and liver glycogen after a rough workout.
    So if a person needs electrolyte replacement with an IV they should replace the water in the bag with milk? Would you tell a lactose intolerant person milk is great in any situation? How many people do you know that have allergies to drinking bottled water? How many soldiers on a battlefield fill up their canteens with milk before a battle?

    If you love milk, drink milk. There's even a diet in the BB community called the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet. Good stuff.
    I never said she shouldn't drink milk. It does have benefits but it should be consumed in appropriate amounts because drinking too much can cause problems. Now, for you to suggest someone drink milk over water after a workout is just plain ridiculous.

    I would only suggest a person consume milk after a workout when drinking it with a protein shake. But a person should never pick plain milk over water after a workout. Especially a person who is trying to lose weight.
    And if milk is so great why does it come with an expiration date?
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-17-2012 at 06:24.

  11. #910
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    .

    I don't think so my friend. There is nothing better for your body than water. Milk may contain more nutrients but water is essential and vital to your health. The benefits of it far outweigh any other liquid....including the mighty gatorade. Now, if a person wants to replace electrolytes after sweating a lot then I would suggest maybe gatorade (which has water in it also)or mineral rich electrolyte water. You can find it at any store. Or you can add a little salt to water to help maintain your sodium levels.


    That may be true but how much milk do you see on the sidelines at any sports game? No, you see electrolyte replacements along with water. Stuff like gatorade is made mostly of, sodium, carbs, sugar, syrup(for flavor of the drink)and the main ingredient water.



    So if a person needs electrolyte replacement with an IV they should replace the water in the bag with milk? Would you tell a lactose intolerant person milk is great in any situation? How many people do you know that have allergies to drinking bottled water? How many soldiers on a battlefield fill up their canteens with milk before a battle?


    I never said she shouldn't drink milk. It does have benefits but it should be consumed in appropriate amounts because drinking too much can cause problems. Now, for you to suggest someone drink milk over water after a workout is just plain ridiculous.

    I would only suggest a person consume milk after a workout when drinking it with a protein shake. But a person should never pick plain milk over water after a workout. Especially a person who is trying to lose weight.
    And if milk is so great why does it come with an expiration date?
    Bro, you missed the point by a mile. It's not even worth responding to because your points are so stupid. But here I go, regardless. Milk isn't great because it expires? Really? You serious? I wasn't advocating milk over water anyway, I was stating that water alone is not going to replenish electrolytes when they're needed and milk contains quite a few of them. The importance of water cannot be stressed enough... obviously... I get that... and the average person hardly gets enough. Gatorade or any other electrolyte containing liquid are good choices over plain water though if electrolytes are being lost through the pores or perspiration. Sports drinks are mostly water anyway so whether it's milk or whatever is irrelevant. You don't have to drink only water to meet proper water intake. You were telling him that water is superior in every way when in his case he probably needed the electrolytes. You're simply wrong, I'm sorry. He was getting water anyway including nutrients on top of it. Everyone's needs are different, but your blanket statement regarding water is ignorant.

    The rest of your post is just retarded. Protein after a workout, no matter what form it is, is beneficial. Especially within the 90 minute timeframe of protein synthesis proceeding a workout. A protein shake? Milk contains protein and whey protein, which is considered one of the more optimal forms of protein, is a byproduct of milk. Milk contains protein. But then again... protein is just protein. Protein is beneficial for both gaining muscle and losing weight... especially when losing weight. It requires more thermogenic energy to digest protein than either carbs or fat... meaning you'll burn more calories eating more protein. By that same law, drinking more fluids, especially cold fluids, will also cause an increase in calorie expenditure.

    On to more of your asinine babbling regarding weight loss. Milk doesn't make you fat. Please remove that garbage idea from your head and never speak of it again. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs don't make you fat. Protein does not make you fat. What makes you gain or lose weight is what the first law of thermodynamics states... if you are consuming more calories than you are burning, you will gain weight. If you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. It's that simple. The only time this gets sketchy is when genetic metabolic disorders are concerned such as hypothyroidism or when hormones are wreaking havoc on the body (i.e. PMS). Eating too few calories than your body requires can also cause issues (i.e. what people refer to as "starvation mode" when your body slows your metabolism to compensate for a lack of proper nutrition).

    I'm really tired of people spouting garbage information on the internet. It's not okay to give people bad information based on your opinions and childish examples.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  12. #911
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,489
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,089 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Bro, you missed the point by a mile. It's not even worth responding to because your points are so stupid. But here I go, regardless. Milk isn't great because it expires? Really? You serious? I wasn't advocating milk over water anyway, I was stating that water alone is not going to replenish electrolytes when they're needed and milk contains quite a few of them. The importance of water cannot be stressed enough... obviously... I get that... and the average person hardly gets enough. Gatorade or any other electrolyte containing liquid are good choices over plain water though if electrolytes are being lost through the pores or perspiration. Sports drinks are mostly water anyway so whether it's milk or whatever is irrelevant. You don't have to drink only water to meet proper water intake. You were telling him that water is superior in every way when in his case he probably needed the electrolytes. You're simply wrong, I'm sorry. He was getting water anyway including nutrients on top of it. Everyone's needs are different, but your blanket statement regarding water is ignorant.

    The rest of your post is just retarded. Protein after a workout, no matter what form it is, is beneficial. Especially within the 90 minute timeframe of protein synthesis proceeding a workout. A protein shake? Milk contains protein and whey protein, which is considered one of the more optimal forms of protein, is a byproduct of milk. Milk contains protein. But then again... protein is just protein. Protein is beneficial for both gaining muscle and losing weight... especially when losing weight. It requires more thermogenic energy to digest protein than either carbs or fat... meaning you'll burn more calories eating more protein. By that same law, drinking more fluids, especially cold fluids, will also cause an increase in calorie expenditure.

    On to more of your asinine babbling regarding weight loss. Milk doesn't make you fat. Please remove that garbage idea from your head and never speak of it again. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs don't make you fat. Protein does not make you fat. What makes you gain or lose weight is what the first law of thermodynamics states... if you are consuming more calories than you are burning, you will gain weight. If you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. It's that simple. The only time this gets sketchy is when genetic metabolic disorders are concerned such as hypothyroidism or when hormones are wreaking havoc on the body (i.e. PMS). Eating too few calories than your body requires can also cause issues (i.e. what people refer to as "starvation mode" when your body slows your metabolism to compensate for a lack of proper nutrition).
    First of all the person I gave advice to is a she and not a he. You were the one who came and made asinine assumptions:
    Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky

    To the person that said water is better than milk, you're seriously confused

    I'm confused because I recommend a person who is trying to lose weight drink water instead of plain milk after a workout? What is wrong with this statement?
    I never said she shouldn't drink milk. It does have benefits but it should be consumed in appropriate amounts because drinking too much can cause problems.


    Where did I say that milk, protein, or anything in my post make you fat? I don't think I ever stated that but consuming too much of a certain kind of milk will cause you to gain weight. As a matter of fact, eating anything in access with calories will make you fat....Even gatorade will..



    I'm really tired of people spouting garbage information on the internet. It's not okay to give people bad information based on your opinions and childish examples.
    Then you should take your own advice because anyone who recommends milk over water after a workout, or that milk doesn't make you gain weight is just flat out wrong.



    You were the one who stated milk was great in any situation so I gave situations where I though milk wasn't great. If you don't mean it then you really shouldn't say it.

    Gatorade is only a temporary sports drink. Its ok if you are in the middle of sports or working out but nothing substitutes for water---not a thing. Also, if a person that is trying to lose weight (like Black Wolf) you never recommend them to drink all the milk they want. The reason I told her to drink water over the milk or gatorade is simply because drinking too much of those two will cause her to just gain more weight. Gatorade has sugar which might induce insulin secretion. That secretion will produce more hunger and they overeat.

    Please explain to me why would anyone suggest drinking milk over water throughout the day for a person who is overweight?

    You can say what you want about what i stated in my post but I challenge you to prove any of it to be wrong.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-17-2012 at 15:00.

  13. #912
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    First of all the person I gave advice to is a she and not a he. You were the one who came and made asinine assumptions:

    I'm confused because I recommend a person who is trying to lose weight drink water instead of plain milk after a workout? What is wrong with this statement?


    Where did I say that milk, protein, or anything in my post make you fat? I don't think I ever stated that but consuming too much of a certain kind of milk will cause you to gain weight. As a matter of fact, eating anything in access with calories will make you fat....Even gatorade will..




    Then you should take your own advice because anyone who recommends milk over water after a workout, or that milk doesn't make you gain weight is just flat out wrong.



    You were the one who stated milk was great in any situation so I gave situations where I though milk wasn't great. If you don't mean it then you really shouldn't say it.

    Gatorade is only a temporary sports drink. Its ok if you are in the middle of sports or working out but nothing substitutes for water---not a thing. Also, if a person that is trying to lose weight (like Black Wolf) you never recommend them to drink all the milk they want. The reason I told her to drink water over the milk or gatorade is simply because drinking too much of those two will cause her to just gain more weight. Gatorade has sugar which might induce insulin secretion. That secretion will produce more hunger and they overeat.

    Please explain to me why would anyone suggest drinking milk over water throughout the day for a person who is overweight?

    You can say what you want about what i stated in my post but I challenge you to prove any of it to be wrong.
    Can you not read? Drinking milk doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more calories on a daily basis than you are expending makes you gain weight. The only point you made is that the poster is female and not male, which has little baring or relevance on anything except varying macronutrients and vitamin/mineral needs than a male. Everything else you said is trash and you're still not getting it. You're not schooling me on nutrition I have a Bachelors in Nutrition and working on my Masters, I also have a Bachelors in Kinesiology and I'm also a personal trainer. I've helped many people lose over 100 pounds, both male and female, and will continue to do so because that's what I enjoy doing. You on the other hand seem very adamant about holding on to bad information.

    Again let me restate since you either have a poor choice in words or you don't get it. Nothing in excess will make a person gain weight. Eating less calories than you are burning will make you lose weight. You can lose weight eating nothing but McDonald's as long as you are not going above your calorie goals. I wouldn't recommend that because obviously that diet is void of nutrients, but what every single diet has in common... and is the only reason any of them work... is they have you eating less calories. In this way you're right, replacing any and all calorie-containing beverages with water is a good idea. Be that as may, telling someone to drink water instead of anything else to lose weight is both vague and unhelpful. You need to tell them WHY that will help them lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to keep a close eye on calorie consumption. A lot of people either wing it, or try to exercise until their eyes bleed hoping they burned enough calories for the day, which is never a good idea and is also discouraging. I have all my clients sign up at www.myfitnesspal.com ... but I tend to change their starting calories than the site recommends because I always like to start a little higher and see how their body reacts to calories and adjust from there... especially during an avid training regimen. The only problem is trusting people to follow the diet, but 98% of my clients do as I try to keep them positive and motivated.

    You're also trying to defend an irrelevant point on milk. It was never about milk. My only point was that, if someone needs an electrolyte-containing liquid, it will be more beneficial than water alone. Water that contains electrolytes is fine. Just something to replenish them. Water is vital. We die within days without it. We're not disagreeing there, but you're spitting out emotionally driven opinions and that aren't helping anyone. All you've said so far is "WATER IS T3H BESTEST THING EVARRRRR!!!" And you're right, it is. Water is highly underrated. I apologize for being "confusing" to you, but you need to get over it already. I'll be more wordy and descriptive from now on so you don't think I'm a milk fanboy or something.

    I'm lactose intolerant, by the way...
    Last edited by PBM; 04-17-2012 at 16:16.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  14. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
  15. #913
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,489
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,089 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Can you not read? Drinking milk doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more calories on a daily basis than you are expending makes you gain weight. The only point you made is that the poster is female and not male, which has little baring or relevance on anything except varying macronutrients and vitamin/mineral needs than a male. Everything else you said is trash and you're still not getting it. You're not schooling me on nutrition I have a Bachelors in Nutrition and working on my Masters, I also have a Bachelors in Kinesiology and I'm also a personal trainer. I've helped many people lose over 100 pounds, both male and female, and will continue to do so because that's what I enjoy doing. You on the other hand seem very adamant about holding on to bad information.

    Again let me restate since you either have a poor choice in words or you don't get it. Nothing in excess will make a person gain weight. Eating less calories than you are burning will make you lose weight. You can lose weight eating nothing but McDonald's as long as you are not going above your calorie goals. I wouldn't recommend that because obviously that diet is void of nutrients, but what every single diet has in common... and is the only reason any of them work... is they have you eating less calories. In this way you're right, replacing any and all calorie-containing beverages with water is a good idea. Be that as may, telling someone to drink water instead of anything else to lose weight is both vague and unhelpful. You need to tell them WHY that will help them lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to keep a close eye on calorie consumption. A lot of people either wing it, or try to exercise until their eyes bleed hoping they burned enough calories for the day, which is never a good idea and is also discouraging. I have all my clients sign up at www.myfitnesspal.com ... but I tend to change their starting calories than the site recommends because I always like to start a little higher and see how their body reacts to calories and adjust from there... especially during an avid training regimen. The only problem is trusting people to follow the diet, but 98% of my clients do as I try to keep them positive and motivated.

    You're also trying to defend an irrelevant point on milk. It was never about milk. My only point was that, if someone needs an electrolyte-containing liquid, it will be more beneficial than water alone. Water that contains electrolytes is fine. Just something to replenish them. Water is vital. We die within days without it. We're not disagreeing there, but you're spitting out emotionally driven opinions and that aren't helping anyone. All you've said so far is "WATER IS T3H BESTEST THING EVARRRRR!!!" And you're right, it is. Water is highly underrated. I apologize for being "confusing" to you, but you need to get over it already. I'll be more wordy and descriptive from now on so you don't think I'm a milk fanboy or something.

    I'm lactose intolerant, by the way...
    I think you need to go back and read what you wrote. I responded to blackwolf's post about drinking water or milk throughout the day. I recommended she drinks water instead of milk and you come in and tell me I'm confused because of it.
    Was I wrong for telling her to drink water and not consume too much milk?

    You say everything I said is trash because I stress the importance of water over anything else. Also, you said I'm giving bad information. Well tell me one thing I said in those posts that was bad.



    Come on dude. You aren't the only one educated in health and fitness.
    I have years of experience and I know throughout the health and fitness there is plenty of conflicting and confusing information, but there is no doubt what I said is true.

    The advice I gave is standard advice you would give to anyone that is trying to lead a more healthy lifestyle. Especially if you have never actually seen that person to see where they stand in overall physical appearance.


    My whole point is that given a choice between the two, she should never choose milk over water. Especially in her case. That doesnt mean she should never drink milk.


    IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk

  16. #914
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I think you need to go back and read what you wrote. I responded to blackwolf's post about drinking water or milk throughout the day. I recommended she drinks water instead of milk and you come in and tell me I'm confused because of it.
    Was I wrong for telling her to drink water and not consume too much milk?

    You say everything I said is trash because I stress the importance of water over anything else. Also, you said I'm giving bad information. Well tell me one thing I said in those posts that was bad.



    Come on dude. You aren't the only one educated in health and fitness.
    I have years of experience and I know throughout the health and fitness there is plenty of conflicting and confusing information, but there is no doubt what I said is true.

    The advice I gave is standard advice you would give to anyone that is trying to lead a more healthy lifestyle. Especially if you have never actually seen that person to see where they stand in overall physical appearance.


    My whole point is that given a choice between the two, she should never choose milk over water. Especially in her case. That doesnt mean she should never drink milk.


    IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk
    See? That wasn't so hard. I agree with you.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  17. #915
    The Godless Heathen
    MentallyCritical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home:Wanking.
    Age
    20
    Posts
    4,823
    Rep Power
    93
    Points
    108,782 (0 Banked)
    duuuuuuuuude don't drink too much milk nor should you replace it with water ever you will develop some serious stomach problems if not lactose intolerance, excess of anything is bad be it water or milk keep it within limit and party on.
    Last edited by Ixion; 04-17-2012 at 20:36. Reason: removed staff member impersonation


  18. #916
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,560
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    4,565 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Reading you guys' discussion, I have a question about metabolism.

    So you gain weight when you eat more than you burn, right? BUT, to keep your metabolism up, you have to eat well or else it will slow down.

    My question is, if you're 5'1 and you should weigh 120-140 lbs, do you eat just 1200-1400 calories a day? How many calories should you eat to keep your metabolism going, but at the same time you don't want to eat too much?

    Currently Playing: Pokemon X

  19. #917
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Reading you guys' discussion, I have a question about metabolism.

    So you gain weight when you eat more than you burn, right? BUT, to keep your metabolism up, you have to eat well or else it will slow down.

    My question is, if you're 5'1 and you should weigh 120-140 lbs, do you eat just 1200-1400 calories a day? How many calories should you eat to keep your metabolism going, but at the same time you don't want to eat too much?
    Your body doesn't particularly care about how many meals you have a day, just the amount of calories you are consuming. You can eat 3 meals or you can eat 6 smaller meals a day, which is something that health buffs are advocating these days. The only benefit of eating 6 smaller meals is comfort. It's not very comfortable shoving 3 large meals down your face every day. This can be a modest breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacking in between. I'd highly recommend you have protein with every meal, be it nuts or something else you enjoy... to keep your body in a positive nitrogen balance.

    Ultimately, meal frequency has a negligible effect on metabolism. If you want to increase your metabolism, then exercise should be your method of choice, not what you're eating throughout the day. Increasing your lean body mass will significantly increase your metabolism.

    There are certain foods that do naturally increase your metabolism, such as green tea, but I would just focus on eating healthier and maintaining a consistent exercise regimen. Even simply walking 30 minutes a day can have a very positive effect on health if you are consistent. That's an important word... consistency. Most people flip-flop when exercising and dieting. Don't do that. Stay with it and don't stop and you will see ten fold more results than the majority of people that work out for a month, take two months off, work out for a month, take two months off... then quit. I see people year after year that look exactly the same because they'll be going to the gym hardcore then quit and I'll see them back 5 months later.

    And that brings me to another point... don't go gung-ho crazy in the gym. Pace yourself. You should enjoy the act of working out. It shouldn't be a painful experience. Go at your own pace and you will naturally progress in your exercise regimen. Listen to your body.

    If you're 5'1" and 140 pounds that is considered "overweight". 120 is more of a normal weight range. Be that as it may, everyone's body is different... and the Body Mass Index (BMI) doesn't take into account muscle mass. You could have some guy that's 5'11" 220 pounds and 10% body fat with his abs showing considered "obese" if just the height and weight are factored in.



    Now... as for what you should eat... it will take you some time to figure out. There are a lot of factors that come into play, but there are some very basic and general rules that you can follow to find your appropriate weight.

    A little explaining first.

    Everyone has their own unique BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). The BMR is basically... if you were to sit on your butt all day and do nothing but stare at the ceiling, you would burn x amount of calories simply based on your normal bodily functions... such as respiration and every other involuntary biological process in the body. So if you're 5'1" and 140 pounds and like... 18 years old, according to a typical BMR calculator, you theoretically will burn 1466 calories without having done anything all day. So if you ate 1466 calories and did nothing all day, you would neither gain nor lose weight. If you were to exercise and you burned 200 calories a day during exercise and you were still eating 1466, you'd lose weight. But you aren't just exercising, you are also working or going to school or doing all sorts of things throughout the day that add up.

    However, I hate the BMR calculator and I think it's a terrible place to start because it can lead to astronomically high numbers.

    There is a much simpler way to ballpark your starting calories.

    Take your weight and multiply it by 13. Then subtract 500.

    So if you're 5'1", do 140 * 13 = 1820 - 500 = 1320

    However... If you're doing 120 * 13 - 500, that's 1060. I would say whatever calorie amount you come out to... I would not drop below 1200 or go above 1700 to start. I'll explain why in a moment.

    For someone that size I usually have them start at 1500-1600 calories and go from there.

    When you start tracking your weight, the first thing you should do is... on Monday for instance... weigh yourself first thing in the morning... right after you wake up... and naked. Go to the bathroom first if you need to, but don't shower as the water can affect your weight.

    This morning wake up weight will be the most accurate.

    So you're all ready to go, you're going to diet and do everything right... and your starting weight is... let's just say 140... and your starting calories are 1500.

    For every single day that week... eat 1500 a day... or close to it... but don't go over. Just try to get as near to 1500 a day as you can. When you are consistently eating the same amount of food, this will allow your body to have a steady metabolism because you're not eating very little one day and a crapload the next. Your digestive system is having consistency and you'll see consistent weight loss doing this.

    So anyway... Monday through Sunday you are doing great and you're eating 1500 calories a day. On Monday you weigh yourself again... in the morning... and naked. You find that you are now 139 pounds. That's great! It means the calories you are consuming are allowing you to lose weight, stick to 1500 calories week after week until you are no longer losing weight. Once you stop losing weight, drop your calories by 100. So you'll be at 1400 calories now. So stick with 1400 calories for the entire week and if you see more weight loss. Stick with the same calories until it no longer works, then drop your calories by 100 again. Repeat this process until you reach your goals. On the flip side, if you are losing too fast, you might consider upping your calories in the same fashion.

    If you are getting rather low with your calories, increase your exercise. You don't want your calories to drop too low because it can have negative effects on your weight loss.

    Another thing. Healthy weight loss is roughly 4-5 pounds a month. So that's roughly a pound a week or so. If you're losing 5 pounds a week, you're probably losing a combination of water, fat, and muscle. You don't want to drop weight that fast unless you are very overweight. The heavier you are, the quicker weight will drop off, but as you start inching towards your goals, the weight loss becomes slower.

    But just remember this above all else. Stay consistent. If you are losing 5 pounds a month and you want to lose 20 pounds, it'll only take 4 months to get there... or less depending on your genetics and various other factors.

    As you gain more lean body boss, your BMR will also increase, so you'll be able to eat more while still losing weight. Kind of a perk of getting into great shape.


    Get a free account at www.myfitnesspal.com

    They have every food on the planet to choose from and I rarely don't find a food I need to enter. And if you don't find something you can enter it yourself.



    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know it sounds complicated but when you get into the swing of things, it really isn't. It's about willpower, dedication, and consistency. It takes a lifestyle to get unhealthy, so it requires a new lifestyle to stay healthy. Keep that in mind. This is not a temporary thing. It's a life choice.

    Edit: If you don't mind me asking, what's your age, height, and weight?
    Last edited by PBM; 04-17-2012 at 20:01.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  20. Likes x6Teen, Nitey , Ghost , 33x wishes they had posted this first.
  21. #918
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,041
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    25,744 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    need to lose weight, im a stone over. im 13.5 stone i think and starting to get a bit tubby in the face and gut

    i worked out straight at a gym for 2 years (company i used to work for owned gyms n hospitals) left there 18 months ago = no more free gym

    cant take the podgy look anymore and cant afford a gym, so gonna buy a stationary bike.

    which is the better one please guys?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    im leaning towards the 1st one.

    thanks

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  22. #919
    Forum Guru
    [DT]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,867
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    17,992 (0 Banked)
    Do you fruits have some like the YMCA? Depending on the actual location here they can be extremely nice and since they’re a NFP, they can do things like let you pay what you want (or based on your declared income).

    IMO those cheap stationary bikes are kind of a waste.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

  23. #920
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,560
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    4,565 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Your body doesn't particularly care about how many meals you have a day, just the amount of calories you are consuming. You can eat 3 meals or you can eat 6 smaller meals a day, which is something that health buffs are advocating these days. The only benefit of eating 6 smaller meals is comfort. It's not very comfortable shoving 3 large meals down your face every day. This can be a modest breakfast, lunch, and dinner with snacking in between. I'd highly recommend you have protein with every meal, be it nuts or something else you enjoy... to keep your body in a positive nitrogen balance.

    Ultimately, meal frequency has a negligible effect on metabolism. If you want to increase your metabolism, then exercise should be your method of choice, not what you're eating throughout the day. Increasing your lean body mass will significantly increase your metabolism.

    There are certain foods that do naturally increase your metabolism, such as green tea, but I would just focus on eating healthier and maintaining a consistent exercise regimen. Even simply walking 30 minutes a day can have a very positive effect on health if you are consistent. That's an important word... consistency. Most people flip-flop when exercising and dieting. Don't do that. Stay with it and don't stop and you will see ten fold more results than the majority of people that work out for a month, take two months off, work out for a month, take two months off... then quit. I see people year after year that look exactly the same because they'll be going to the gym hardcore then quit and I'll see them back 5 months later.

    And that brings me to another point... don't go gung-ho crazy in the gym. Pace yourself. You should enjoy the act of working out. It shouldn't be a painful experience. Go at your own pace and you will naturally progress in your exercise regimen. Listen to your body.

    If you're 5'1" and 140 pounds that is considered "overweight". 120 is more of a normal weight range. Be that as it may, everyone's body is different... and the Body Mass Index (BMI) doesn't take into account muscle mass. You could have some guy that's 5'11" 220 pounds and 10% body fat with his abs showing considered "obese" if just the height and weight are factored in.



    Now... as for what you should eat... it will take you some time to figure out. There are a lot of factors that come into play, but there are some very basic and general rules that you can follow to find your appropriate weight.

    A little explaining first.

    Everyone has their own unique BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). The BMR is basically... if you were to sit on your butt all day and do nothing but stare at the ceiling, you would burn x amount of calories simply based on your normal bodily functions... such as respiration and every other involuntary biological process in the body. So if you're 5'1" and 140 pounds and like... 18 years old, according to a typical BMR calculator, you theoretically will burn 1466 calories without having done anything all day. So if you ate 1466 calories and did nothing all day, you would neither gain nor lose weight. If you were to exercise and you burned 200 calories a day during exercise and you were still eating 1466, you'd lose weight. But you aren't just exercising, you are also working or going to school or doing all sorts of things throughout the day that add up.

    However, I hate the BMR calculator and I think it's a terrible place to start because it can lead to astronomically high numbers.

    There is a much simpler way to ballpark your starting calories.

    Take your weight and multiply it by 13. Then subtract 500.

    So if you're 5'1", do 140 * 13 = 1820 - 500 = 1320

    However... If you're doing 120 * 13 - 500, that's 1060. I would say whatever calorie amount you come out to... I would not drop below 1200 or go above 1700 to start. I'll explain why in a moment.

    For someone that size I usually have them start at 1500-1600 calories and go from there.

    When you start tracking your weight, the first thing you should do is... on Monday for instance... weigh yourself first thing in the morning... right after you wake up... and naked. Go to the bathroom first if you need to, but don't shower as the water can affect your weight.

    This morning wake up weight will be the most accurate.

    So you're all ready to go, you're going to diet and do everything right... and your starting weight is... let's just say 140... and your starting calories are 1500.

    For every single day that week... eat 1500 a day... or close to it... but don't go over. Just try to get as near to 1500 a day as you can. When you are consistently eating the same amount of food, this will allow your body to have a steady metabolism because you're not eating very little one day and a crapload the next. Your digestive system is having consistency and you'll see consistent weight loss doing this.

    So anyway... Monday through Sunday you are doing great and you're eating 1500 calories a day. On Monday you weigh yourself again... in the morning... and naked. You find that you are now 139 pounds. That's great! It means the calories you are consuming are allowing you to lose weight, stick to 1500 calories week after week until you are no longer losing weight. Once you stop losing weight, drop your calories by 100. So you'll be at 1400 calories now. So stick with 1400 calories for the entire week and if you see more weight loss. Stick with the same calories until it no longer works, then drop your calories by 100 again. Repeat this process until you reach your goals. On the flip side, if you are losing too fast, you might consider upping your calories in the same fashion.

    If you are getting rather low with your calories, increase your exercise. You don't want your calories to drop too low because it can have negative effects on your weight loss.

    Another thing. Healthy weight loss is roughly 4-5 pounds a month. So that's roughly a pound a week or so. If you're losing 5 pounds a week, you're probably losing a combination of water, fat, and muscle. You don't want to drop weight that fast unless you are very overweight. The heavier you are, the quicker weight will drop off, but as you start inching towards your goals, the weight loss becomes slower.

    But just remember this above all else. Stay consistent. If you are losing 5 pounds a month and you want to lose 20 pounds, it'll only take 4 months to get there... or less depending on your genetics and various other factors.

    As you gain more lean body boss, your BMR will also increase, so you'll be able to eat more while still losing weight. Kind of a perk of getting into great shape.


    Get a free account at www.myfitnesspal.com

    They have every food on the planet to choose from and I rarely don't find a food I need to enter. And if you don't find something you can enter it yourself.



    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know it sounds complicated but when you get into the swing of things, it really isn't. It's about willpower, dedication, and consistency. It takes a lifestyle to get unhealthy, so it requires a new lifestyle to stay healthy. Keep that in mind. This is not a temporary thing. It's a life choice.

    Edit: If you don't mind me asking, what's your age, height, and weight?

    WOW! The advice in this post is GOLDEN! This is exactly what I needed! I just HAD to rep you!

    I do have a health coach who is a dietition, but she never told me any of this or anything like it!

    Thank you so much! You didn't have to do this, this is the kind of thing people pay for!

    I read the entire thing and will start working towards eating the appropriate amount of calories, NOW!

    I exercise by walking up hills and stuff 30 minutes a day and increased to 35 minutes a day because I'm having trouble doing push ups and jogging is uncomfortable.

    That very last question, I don't mind answering if you give me some advice. My age is 21, my height is either 5'1 or 5'2,and my weight is . . . 220 lbs. I have seriously let go and I really want to get back to 120 lbs so I will have more energy and have less a chance of getting diabetes, which runs in the family.

    I was 230 back in December, but thanks to my health coach and my exercising and eating better, I have lost 10 lbs total. But my weight loss has stalled due to the fact that it's time to up it a notch in eating and it's hard to do with a limited budget.

    Edit:
    I did the calculations and will start aiming for 2360 calories a day.
    Last edited by The Black Wolf; 04-17-2012 at 21:26.

    Currently Playing: Pokemon X

  24. #921
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    WOW! The advice in this post is GOLDEN! This is exactly what I needed! I just HAD to rep you!

    I do have a health coach who is a dietition, but she never told me any of this or anything like it!

    Thank you so much! You didn't have to do this, this is the kind of thing people pay for!

    I read the entire thing and will start working towards eating the appropriate amount of calories, NOW!

    I exercise by walking up hills and stuff 30 minutes a day and increased to 35 minutes a day because I'm having trouble doing push ups and jogging is uncomfortable.

    That very last question, I don't mind answering if you give me some advice. My age is 21, my height is either 5'1 or 5'2,and my weight is . . . 220 lbs. I have seriously let go and I really want to get back to 120 lbs so I will have more energy and have less a chance of getting diabetes, which runs in the family.

    I was 230 back in December, but thanks to my health coach and my exercising and eating better, I have lost 10 lbs total. But my weight loss has stalled due to the fact that it's time to up it a notch in eating and it's hard to do with a limited budget.

    Edit:
    I did the calculations and will start aiming for 2360 calories a day.
    I'm very glad that you have a Dietician. Since you have a history of Diabetes in the family, your Dietician will be able to tell you what type of foods you can eat because he/she is working with you personally. That'll be very good assistance for you for your weight loss goals and allow you to stay on track.

    Being overweight for long periods of time can cause your body's tissues to become insulin resistant and can lead to Diabetes. In fact, fat around the stomach is one of the leading causes of Type II Diabetes. Losing weight and exercising will naturally make your body more able to efficiently use insulin. Losing weight and exercising has actually been shown to reduce symptoms of Type II Diabetes... and in some cases... cure it entirely. The body is very resilient when given the proper care.

    Like you said yourself, it is time to get serious... and I applaud your courage and willingness to pursue this because it's going to change your life. Whatever personal reasons you have for "letting go" are now in the past. You're right here right now and I know you can achieve your goals. Don't let anyone hold you back or tell you you can't do it, because you can... and you will.




    As for your calories, I would recommend starting at between 1800-2000 instead of 2360. Also, please be aware that the periods between reducing your cals will probably be a lot longer when you first start out, so you won't need to worry about frequently adjusting your cals when you get into the swing of things. You may lose 40 pounds on 1800 calories before needing to reduce them again. It's quite a process, but once you figure out what calories are helping you lose around a pound a week consistently, you'll feel very in control of your body and your life. You'll know exactly how calories affect your body and when something goes wrong, if you're tracking your food, you'll know exactly the reason. Please also take into account that during your week of "female issues", your hormones may or may not mess with your weight loss that week. Just stick to your diet and exercise and just understand weird things can happen during that time. It's not a roadblock, but it can be irritating for women.

    As long as you are exercising, it doesn't matter what type you're doing. If something hurts, don't do it... it's as simple as that. Do exercises that you feel comfortable with. Like I said before, you need to enjoy what you're doing. Also, exercises that hurt now will probably not hurt when you've lost a considerable amount of weight. I would definitely not recommend push ups at all, unless they are "girl push ups", but most men I know couldn't do 220 pound push ups, so you shouldn't feel discouraged about that. Running is horrendous on the knees when you are overweight, so I don't blame you either for just wanting to walk.

    Honestly, walking every day is EXTREMELY healthy and I encourage to keep that as part of your routine. There's nothing wrong with it at all, so keep going! If you can manage, stretch as much as you can and as comfortably as you can. But make stretching every day part of your routine. Stretching is very important. Make sure to stretch before and after your workouts. Never stretch until it hurts, only until there is light pressure. That pressure is plenty enough that if you do that every day, you'll increase your flexibility over time. Everything is a process that takes time.

    You may lose more than a pound a week at first because of your current weight, but just remember: stay consistent... stay motivated... and you will reach your goals.


    Edit:

    P.S. My friend Jen started out a little heavier than you at the same height. I helped her lose 110 pounds and she is now 120. It took her a year and a half to lose that... to give you an idea of the timeframe it takes to do this. It may take you less time, it may take you more time. It's all dependent upon you and your genetics.

    One more thing I forgot to mention... one of the more important reasons you don't really want to lose more than a pound a week is because you want your skin to adjust to the weight loss. If you lose weight too quickly, you will have loose skin... and nobody wants that... because it often requires surgery to "fix" the problem, but you'll just end up with a bunch of scars.

    So I urge you to try and stay with the 4-5 pounds a month... if you lose 7 it's not a big deal, just try and stay consistent with the weight loss. You will thank yourself later.

    Remember what I said... if you are losing "too fast", increase your calories. It might seem exciting to be losing that fast, but it's not what you should be aiming for.
    Last edited by PBM; 04-17-2012 at 22:24.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  25. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
  26. #922
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,132
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    956 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

    gatorade/eletroytes if you have to compete/workout again soon.
    ie- track, you just finished a 100m sprint and you need to run the 200m in an hour... you need quick energ/recovery.
    you wouldn't try and compete/workout with a full stomach of milk.

    milk/protein shakes are fine if your workout for the day is complete and you are recovering.
    ie- you just completed a crossfit workout. you are cashed. you aren't doing anything more but you need to give your body protein right away so that it can start repairing itself- and it helps to build muscle

    water is pretty much universally good. obviously you don't want a full stomach of water before you compete/workout

    ============
    edit

    I should point out that milk is an allergen (lactose)- for humans.
    which is why people who subscribe to the paleo diet don't drink it.
    it (as I have read) can cause swelling on the cellular level (even if you don't show outward symtoms)

    A lot of people in my crossfit gym don't drink milk b/c it does make them gain weight (couple pounds) according to their observations.

    They drink almond milk instead.
    Last edited by DayWalker; 04-18-2012 at 01:07.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  27. #923
    Forum Guru
    [DT]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,867
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    17,992 (0 Banked)
    Did a crazy fun circuit/HIIT class tonight (the wife too). The guys setup a great set of routines tonight.

    Tomorrow: Bikram. Can’t say enough good things about how that practice has improved my health (joints, flexibility ... and just as important, mentally), we’ve even stepped up to twice a week.

    I have a pretty intense professional life so working out is necessary to avoid a meltdown
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

  28. #924
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,132
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    956 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ^^^^^^

    I promise I don't look like that

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  29. #925
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,927
    Rep Power
    120
    Points
    108,718 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    A lot of people in my crossfit gym don't drink milk b/c it does make them gain weight (couple pounds) according to their observations.

    They drink almond milk instead.
    Again... no. Milk doesn't contain a magical substance that makes people gain weight if more calories are being expended than consumed. They gained a few pounds because their diet wasn't in check. They may have been carelessly chugging it down and it contains 120 calories or so per cup. That can add up fast if you're not paying attention. It is physiologically impossible for one to gain weight in a caloric deficit. Idk why the idea that [insert food here] makes you fat still floats around. That idea needs to die because it is scientifically inaccurate.

    The rest of what you said is sound, however. Different sports/activities require different needs/nutrient timing/etc. and to get the most out of your sport/activity it's good to do a little research on the nutrition aspect of them.
    Last edited by PBM; 04-18-2012 at 01:23.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  30. Likes x6Teen wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.