Latest PSU headlines:

Page 38 of 73 FirstFirst ... 283848 ... LastLast
Results 926 to 950 of 1808
  1. #926
    The Heisman
    DayWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13,132
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    956 (9,287 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Again... no. Milk doesn't contain a magical substance that makes people gain weight if more calories are being expended than consumed. They gained a few pounds because their diet wasn't in check. They may have been carelessly chugging it down and it contains 120 calories or so per cup. That can add up fast if you're not paying attention. It is physiologically impossible for one to gain weight in a caloric deficit. Idk why the idea that [insert food here] makes you fat still floats around. That idea needs to die because it is scientifically inaccurate.

    The rest of what you said is sound, however. Different sports/activities require different needs/nutrient timing/etc. and to get the most out of your sport/activity it's good to do a little research on the nutrition aspect of them.
    bro these are serious crossfit people... their diets are as in check as anybody I have ever heard of.

    And you're overlooking the allergen aspect of my post- swelling at the ceullar level, retaining water...etc. That can most certainly cause your weight to increase.
    not disputing your "CALs in" vs "CALs out" argument. That's common sense.

    thats why gluten is an outcast in the paleo diet as well.
    Last edited by DayWalker; 04-18-2012 at 01:34.

    By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

  2. #927
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    bro these are serious crossfit people... their diets are as in check as anybody I have ever heard of.

    And you're overlooking the allergen aspect of my post- swelling at the ceullar level, retaining water...etc. That can most certainly cause your weight to increase.
    not disputing your "CALs in" vs "CALs out" argument. That's common sense.
    It's not an argument, it's a fact. I was referring to body weight, not water weight. There are a thousand scenarios in which water retention can occur, such as carb modification and sodium intake. I was thinking you meant they gained fat.

    We're on the same page now.

    But no, unfortunately it isn't nearly as common sense as you'd think. :/
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  3. #928
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,041
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    25,744 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    need to lose weight, im a stone over. im 13.5 stone i think and starting to get a bit tubby in the face and gut

    i worked out straight at a gym for 2 years (company i used to work for owned gyms n hospitals) left there 18 months ago = no more free gym

    cant take the podgy look anymore and cant afford a gym, so gonna buy a stationary bike.

    which is the better one please guys?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    im leaning towards the 1st one.

    thanks
    No one?!

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  4. #929
    Master Poster
    TheBreezyBB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Qatar
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,450
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    16,440 (0 Banked)
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I would've helped you if i had any experience with these.




  5. #930
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,041
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    25,744 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    lol i was leaving that question for other people but i'll help you anyway.

    out of those 3, i would get the first one as well. as long as there's pedals, a seat and a handle, you're good to go. i have a stationary bike and it definitely helps with my cardio and just overall fitness. when you have a stationary bike inside the house, then you'll no longer have an excuse for doing cardio like it's raining so i can't run or the gym is closed.

    and another important note to take is that you can definitely lose weight just diet alone so imo you should be focusing more on your diet than weight training or cardio but by no means am i saying stop the training. and by focusing more on your diet i mean focusing on eating a caloric deficit which is explained pretty well in PBM's post above ^^

    here's some good 'cliche' tips to take note of that worked wonders for me:
    • drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
    • weigh yourself on a scale and/or look at yourself in the mirror once or twice a week on the same days every week.
    • keep note of your progress and take notes everday on what you can approve on diet and training wise the next day.
    • before going on a binge, skipping training or doing something you might regret later, think about the poster i posted below.
    • never forget that the people who skip few days of training are the ones that end up dropping it all together.

    THANK YOU!!

    I know people can lose weight just by calorie counting, but i cannot do that! i prefer to use cardio machines!

    I've just brought the 1st one, thanks buddy! The reviews were more favourable and the resistance seems to be harder than the cheaper bike.

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  6. #931
    El Presidente
    podsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    in a box
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,770
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    11,716 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    need to lose weight, im a stone over. im 13.5 stone i think and starting to get a bit tubby in the face and gut

    i worked out straight at a gym for 2 years (company i used to work for owned gyms n hospitals) left there 18 months ago = no more free gym

    cant take the podgy look anymore and cant afford a gym, so gonna buy a stationary bike.

    which is the better one please guys?

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    im leaning towards the 1st one.

    thanks
    I would also go with the first one. You should check out what setting the bike has too. The one I have has hill climb and speed intervals. It gets really intense on the higher difficulties.

    Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

  7. #932
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Hey guys. Been weight training for almost two months now. I'm cutting right now and my calories are seemingly in check and so is my weight loss thus far

    I was just wondering if jumping on the treadmill is a worthwhile substitute for leg day? Since I've been back in the gym I've only trained with weights and it's been going alright, but seeing as I'm looking to drop weight I decided to incorporate the treadmill/cardio this week on Monday, after I hit my back and triceps. I probably spent about 25 mins on it and it felt pretty good after - refreshing

    The reason I'm asking if it's a worthwhile substitute for leg day (which is today [Wednesday]), is because at the gym today I noticed I was just unable to leg press or squat as much as I usually do. At that point I just lowered the weight and tried to hit it with higher reps but that kinda left me dizzy more than usual, and out of breath..I was running on empty

    So yeah, does incorporating treadmill into my plan make sense if it's taking away from my performance on Wednesdays? Or is it unrelated? Only reason I would consider cardio is of course because I'm cutting so burning more calories help but I wanted to improve my general health and stamina also

    Something else I thought of was that I may be feeling more tired at the gym than usual not because I ran, but because I didn't adjust my calories/carb intake accordingly now that I'm doing cardio. I should be eating a bit more, right?

  8. #933
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Hey guys. Been weight training for almost two months now. I'm cutting right now and my calories are seemingly in check and so is my weight loss thus far

    I was just wondering if jumping on the treadmill is a worthwhile substitute for leg day? Since I've been back in the gym I've only trained with weights and it's been going alright, but seeing as I'm looking to drop weight I decided to incorporate the treadmill/cardio this week on Monday, after I hit my back and triceps. I probably spent about 25 mins on it and it felt pretty good after - refreshing

    The reason I'm asking if it's a worthwhile substitute for leg day (which is today [Wednesday]), is because at the gym today I noticed I was just unable to leg press or squat as much as I usually do. At that point I just lowered the weight and tried to hit it with higher reps but that kinda left me dizzy more than usual, and out of breath..I was running on empty

    So yeah, does incorporating treadmill into my plan make sense if it's taking away from my performance on Wednesdays? Or is it unrelated? Only reason I would consider cardio is of course because I'm cutting so burning more calories help but I wanted to improve my general health and stamina also

    Something else I thought of was that I may be feeling more tired at the gym than usual not because I ran, but because I didn't adjust my calories/carb intake accordingly now that I'm doing cardio. I should be eating a bit more, right?
    A treadmill is never a substitute for squats. There isn't an exercise that replaces squats... and leg press certainly isn't one of them.

    If you're feeling a complete lack of energy when you're doing your legs, you should consider eating a LOT more carbs pre- and post-workout. You need to make sure your glycogen stores are in check (glycogen is stored in your muscles and liver and are your muscles' primary source of energy).

    Also, you need to separate your strength training days and your cardio days. If you want to do cardio, that's great, but do legs one day and cardio the next on a day when you're not doing strength training. It's okay to warm up or cool down for 5 minutes on the treadmill, but never do a straight up cardio routine before or after your strength training. You don't want to deplete your energy beforehand and your glycogen stores will be kaput afterwards which will only serve to cannibalize your muscle while you're running on the treadmill... not a good thing.

    You're on a caloric deficit right now and you need to conserve as much energy as possible when you're working out. Don't go crazy, keep it simple. You don't need to increase your calories, you're on a deficit for a reason. You just need to rearrange your diet so that most of your carbs for the day come right before and right after your workouts. After that, your remaining carbs should be complex carbs.

    Also, if you're feeling completely burnt out no matter what you're trying to do... take a week off... then when you come back, drop the weight down 10-20 pounds and start your way back up again. You're not really trying to "build muscle" when you're dieting. You're trying to preserve your existing muscle while cutting the fat. Keeping your protein intake relatively high and lifting weights helps to preserve lean body mass and "lean you out". You're not breaking strength records here, just trying to lean out and stay healthy.


    Can you list your entire routine for the week here? Exercises, sets/reps, duration, etc...
    Last edited by PBM; 04-20-2012 at 20:51.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  9. #934
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,480
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    52,996 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    A treadmill is never a substitute for squats. There isn't an exercise that replaces squats... and leg press certainly isn't one of them.

    If you're feeling a complete lack of energy when you're doing your legs, you should consider eating a LOT more carbs pre- and post-workout. You need to make sure your glycogen stores are in check (glycogen is stored in your muscles and liver and are your muscles' primary source of energy).

    Also, you need to separate your strength training days and your cardio days. If you want to do cardio, that's great, but do legs one day and cardio the next on a day when you're not doing strength training. It's okay to warm up or cool down for 5 minutes on the treadmill, but never do a straight up cardio routine before or after your strength training. You don't want to deplete your energy beforehand and your glycogen stores will be kaput afterwards which will only serve to cannibalize your muscle while you're running on the treadmill... not a good thing.

    You're on a caloric deficit right now and you need to conserve as much energy as possible when you're working out. Don't go crazy, keep it simple. You don't need to increase your calories, you're on a deficit for a reason. You just need to rearrange your diet so that most of your carbs for the day come right before and right after your workouts. After that, your remaining carbs should be complex carbs.

    Also, if you're feeling completely burnt out no matter what you're trying to do... take a week off... then when you come back, drop the weight down 10-20 pounds and start your way back up again. You're not really trying to "build muscle" when you're dieting. You're trying to preserve your existing muscle while cutting the fat. Keeping your protein intake relatively high and lifting weights helps to preserve lean body mass and "lean you out". You're not breaking strength records here, just trying to lean out and stay healthy.


    Can you list your entire routine for the week here? Exercises, sets/reps, duration, etc...
    I would also recommend getting some glutamine for recovery and to restore glycogen levels.

  10. #935
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    A treadmill is never a substitute for squats. There isn't an exercise that replaces squats... and leg press certainly isn't one of them.

    If you're feeling a complete lack of energy when you're doing your legs, you should consider eating a LOT more carbs pre- and post-workout. You need to make sure your glycogen stores are in check (glycogen is stored in your muscles and liver and are your muscles' primary source of energy).

    Also, you need to separate your strength training days and your cardio days. If you want to do cardio, that's great, but do legs one day and cardio the next on a day when you're not doing strength training. It's okay to warm up or cool down for 5 minutes on the treadmill, but never do a straight up cardio routine before or after your strength training. You don't want to deplete your energy beforehand and your glycogen stores will be kaput afterwards which will only serve to cannibalize your muscle while you're running on the treadmill... not a good thing.

    You're on a caloric deficit right now and you need to conserve as much energy as possible when you're working out. Don't go crazy, keep it simple. You don't need to increase your calories, you're on a deficit for a reason. You just need to rearrange your diet so that most of your carbs for the day come right before and right after your workouts. After that, your remaining carbs should be complex carbs.

    Also, if you're feeling completely burnt out no matter what you're trying to do... take a week off... then when you come back, drop the weight down 10-20 pounds and start your way back up again. You're not really trying to "build muscle" when you're dieting. You're trying to preserve your existing muscle while cutting the fat. Keeping your protein intake relatively high and lifting weights helps to preserve lean body mass and "lean you out". You're not breaking strength records here, just trying to lean out and stay healthy.


    Can you list your entire routine for the week here? Exercises, sets/reps, duration, etc...
    First off, thanks for the reply

    Right, I didn't think cardio would be a worthwhile replacement - felt pretty stupid after I submitted that post . After reading what you wrote I'd say that lack of carbs is the culrprit. I usually go to gym on an empty stomach but I don't ever feel drained, although I did this past week. If I do have breakfast it would just be 2 weetabix (complex carbs?) with semiskimmed milk. Post-workout meal is usually a sandwich or wrap with tuna or salmon, so I'm assuming I get enough carbs after working out

    The other culprit would be not splitting my cardio and strength training. I never really thought it would be an issue to do them both on the same day so long as I rested the next day, but I understand what you're saying. It probably lead me to over-train which, along with the lack of carbs, made me feel even more lathargic on my leg day

    Cheers for the educated insight. I'll consume my carbs at the appropriate times and split my cardio/weight training days accordingly and see if it helps with my energy levels.

    For the past couple months Ive been doing:

    Monday -

    Back:
    3x One arm dumbell rows
    3x Cable pulldowns (w/vbar)
    2x Bent over barbell row (or chest supported row)

    Triceps:
    3x Tricep kickbacks
    3x Cable pushdowns

    Traps:
    2x Dumbell shrugs

    Wednesday -

    Legs:
    3x Leg press
    3x Squats
    2x Rotary calf machine

    Shoulders:
    3x DB shoulder press
    3x Seated rear DB lateral raises

    Friday -

    Chest:
    3x Flat bench BB press
    3x Incline DB press
    2x Cable chest flys

    Biceps:
    3x Standing BB curls
    2x Cable curls

    I do crunches at home few times a week for my abs

    --

    On all days I do a couple very light sets of face pulls and one arm cable extensions on rear deltoids before going on with the rest of my workout, cos my shoulders are pretty weak so I give them a nice warmup beforehand - not sure how effective that may be, but I do it anyway

    My rep range is about 8-12 on everything except legs which I like to go about 15-20, I usually do one last set on all exercises to failure (my brother spots me ). I take about 1-2 minute rest between sets, sometimes more if I'm out of it. I'm in and out of the gym in an hour, most of the time

    --

    Think I might have gone in to way too much detail . Thanks again man
    Last edited by Nitey; 04-20-2012 at 22:22.

  11. #936
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You only workout Mondays and Wednesdays?

    I also don't see reps there. I need as much information as possible.

    Also, what are your goals? Also, no offense... just a question... you male or female? I seem to be guessing that wrong lately.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  12. #937
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nah Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Rep range is 8-12 on upper body exercises and 15-20 on legs
    Goal is to lose weight and then maintain a cut medium build, once I've dropped the weight. I'm male :P

  13. #938
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    First of all... when you're in a caloric deficit with strength training, you should keep your reps no more than between 6-8 reps. You need to keep your sets short and sweet. Your workouts should also last no longer than an hour. There's no reason upper body should have a higher rep range than lower body.


    Secondly, for the love of god, stop doing 15-20 reps of squats. If you're doing them properly (parallel or ATF [ass to floor] or as low as you can go without sacrificing form and control of the weight), you should only be able to do between 5-8 reps. Please stop doing 15-20 reps. I'm going to attribute your 15-20 rep squats/leg press to your dizziness on top of your empty stomach workouts. Don't do that. And if you're doing a proper squatting regimen, you shouldn't have to do leg press. Also, the problem with leg press is it's completely unnatural. It forces your joints into a plane of motion set by the machine and you are not bending down according to your body's natural biomechanical movement. I'd avoid machines where free weights can be done instead. You can make progress using machines, of course, but you'll thank your body later if you stick with perfect form free weights.


    Another thing, please don't ever go to "failure". That word means so many different things to different people. If your rep range is 6-8 reps, choose a weight that allows you to only do between 6-8 reps... with PERFECT FORM. Never sacrifice form for a higher weight. If you cannot perform the required rep range with perfect form, the weight is too heavy and you need to drop the weight.


    I would remove tricep kickbacks from your workout entirely. They're useless. Replace them with Skull Crushers or Close-Grip Bench Press. I'd also remove Leg Press from your workout and focus on doing proper squats with proper weight and proper form. You don't necessarily need to do flat bench and incline bench as they work the same exact muscles. Think of the chest muscles as a rubber band. If you are pulling on it at any length of the rubber band, the entire rubber band is affected in some way. The same applies to trying to hit the chest at different angles. You don't need to. I would toss out Flies entirely because they don't work out any new muscles, but more importantly, they put your rotator cuffs in a very compromising position and you said you have weak shoulders… so put two and two together. And you certainly don't need 3 exercises for chest. Less is more in this case. Overtraining shouldn't be a part of your routine.


    I would replace one of your back exercises with Chin Ups/Pull Ups. They not only hit your back, they also hit your biceps as well. They'll also give you that lovely V-Taper over time.


    I would replace Dumbbell Shrugs with Deadlifts… but only after you're done with your diet. They are very taxing and I'll also need to send you a video along with some information on how to do them with perfect form. Most people do not have perfect form with Deads and are putting their spine at risk because they are morons or misinformed or misinformed morons. A normal healthy male should, at the very least, be able to Deadlift their own weight.


    One more time about failure… please stop that. Seriously. If you need a spotter in fear that you won't be able to get your last rep up, you are doing too much weight. You shouldn't need a spotter (don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have a spotter, but it shouldn't be required because you're always doing so much weight you lose control at the end of your set). You don't need to make your body scream to see progress. Also, you shouldn't be going crazy like that anyway while in a caloric deficit. Save that craziness for when you're trying to put on muscle. You're trying to preserve lean body mass, not break strength records. It's extremely difficult to gain any sort of significant muscle while in a caloric deficit, so it shouldn't be your focus. I just woke up 3 seconds ago so I don't know how coherent my post is, but feel free to ask questions if you have them.
    Last edited by PBM; 04-21-2012 at 18:11.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  14. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
  15. #939
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    First of all... when you're in a caloric deficit with strength training, you should keep your reps no more than between 6-8 reps. You need to keep your sets short and sweet. Your workouts should also last no longer than an hour. There's no reason upper body should have a higher rep range than lower body.


    Secondly, for the love of god, stop doing 15-20 reps of squats. If you're doing them properly (parallel or ATF [ass to floor] or as low as you can go without sacrificing form and control of the weight), you should only be able to do between 5-8 reps. Please stop doing 15-20 reps. I'm going to attribute your 15-20 rep squats/leg press to your dizziness on top of your empty stomach workouts. Don't do that. And if you're doing a proper squatting regimen, you shouldn't have to do leg press. Also, the problem with leg press is it's completely unnatural. It forces your joints into a plane of motion set by the machine and you are not bending down according to your body's natural biomechanical movement. I'd avoid machines where free weights can be done instead. You can make progress using machines, of course, but you'll thank your body later if you stick with perfect form free weights.


    Another thing, please don't ever go to "failure". That word means so many different things to different people. If your rep range is 6-8 reps, choose a weight that allows you to only do between 6-8 reps... with PERFECT FORM. Never sacrifice form for a higher weight. If you cannot perform the required rep range with perfect form, the weight is too heavy and you need to drop the weight.


    I would remove tricep kickbacks from your workout entirely. They're useless. Replace them with Skull Crushers or Close-Grip Bench Press. I'd also remove Leg Press from your workout and focus on doing proper squats with proper weight and proper form. You don't necessarily need to do flat bench and incline bench as they work the same exact muscles. Think of the chest muscles as a rubber band. If you are pulling on it at any length of the rubber band, the entire rubber band is affected in some way. The same applies to trying to hit the chest at different angles. You don't need to. I would toss out Flies entirely because they don't work out any new muscles, but more importantly, they put your rotator cuffs in a very compromising position and you said you have weak shoulders… so put two and two together. And you certainly don't need 3 exercises for chest. Less is more in this case. Overtraining shouldn't be a part of your routine.


    I would replace one of your back exercises with Chin Ups/Pull Ups. They not only hit your back, they also hit your biceps as well. They'll also give you that lovely V-Taper over time.


    I would replace Dumbbell Shrugs with Deadlifts… but only after you're done with your diet. They are very taxing and I'll also need to send you a video along with some information on how to do them with perfect form. Most people do not have perfect form with Deads and are putting their spine at risk because they are morons or misinformed or misinformed morons. A normal healthy male should, at the very least, be able to Deadlift their own weight.


    One more time about failure… please stop that. Seriously. If you need a spotter in fear that you won't be able to get your last rep up, you are doing too much weight. You shouldn't need a spotter (don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have a spotter, but it shouldn't be required because you're always doing so much weight you lose control at the end of your set). You don't need to make your body scream to see progress. Also, you shouldn't be going crazy like that anyway while in a caloric deficit. Save that craziness for when you're trying to put on muscle. You're trying to preserve lean body mass, not break strength records. It's extremely difficult to gain any sort of significant muscle while in a caloric deficit, so it shouldn't be your focus. I just woke up 3 seconds ago so I don't know how coherent my post is, but feel free to ask questions if you have them.
    Cheers for all the information mate. I got lots to learn it seems
    I'll adjust my workout routine to how you suggest and calm it down a bit at the gym. I'll definitely be doing myself a huge favour in that regard 'cos I got my diet on lock

    Again, much appreciated for taking time out to give me a heads up. I workout with my brother so your guidance will be helping two people

  16. #940
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,602 (0 Banked)
    I've been running about 4 miles everyday after school, and am feeling great. Slowly working more weight training into my regime, and I'm trying to add more healthy fats into my diet to curb my seemingly endless weight loss (at about 35 pounds lost now).
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  17. #941
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I've been running about 4 miles everyday after school, and am feeling great. Slowly working more weight training into my regime, and I'm trying to add more healthy fats into my diet to curb my seemingly endless weight loss (at about 35 pounds lost now).
    Adding weight training into your routine is certainly not going to curb your weight loss. You simply need to eat more in general if you're trying to stop your weight loss.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  18. #942
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    Nitey, maybe you should do more compounds like squat, deadlifts, pull-up, clean and press etc. and lose the isolations since your cutting.

    that's just my preference though and what i've done when on a cut and i'm not entirely sure on the scientific facts so maybe someone here can confirm??
    You can work out essentially the same whether bulking or cutting, with a few modifications. The only big difference is calories. Compounds are great regardless... if the form is spot on. The new hipster term for compound lifts has been coined "functional training", so that it doesn't scare off normal people.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  19. #943
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I tried pull ups but I can't really do them properly :s I think once I've shed a bit more weight whilst maintaining my strength it will be manageable with good form, and I'l start deadlifting once I'm down some more too, like PBM suggested in an earlier post. Had to google clean and press, it looks interesting :P

  20. #944
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,602 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Adding weight training into your routine is certainly not going to curb your weight loss. You simply need to eat more in general if you're trying to stop your weight loss.
    My biggest concern is getting rid of the rest of my belly fat. I have substantially less than I used to, but I still am a bit displeased with how I look around the waist; my belly and lower back areas still look... meh. How effective is running towards getting rid of lower-back / belly fat? (I trust you guys more than Google)
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  21. #945
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    My biggest concern is getting rid of the rest of my belly fat. I have substantially less than I used to, but I still am a bit displeased with how I look around the waist; my belly and lower back areas still look... meh. How effective is running towards getting rid of lower-back / belly fat? (I trust you guys more than Google)
    Unfortunately, belly fat is usually the last place to go in men (hips for women), so you just need to keep doing what you're doing. You can't target areas of your body when losing fat, so it doesn't matter whether you're running or lifting weights.

    However, running will not preserve lean body mass like weight training will, so if holding onto muscle is a concern, pure running may not be the best option.

    If simply losing your gut is your primary concern, like it was for me when I got depressed and turned into a chub monster, then keep doing what you're doing.

    Whatever you choose, try and keep your protein intake relatively high and drink plenty of water.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  22. #946
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,602 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Unfortunately, belly fat is usually the last place to go in men (hips for women), so you just need to keep doing what you're doing. You can't target areas of your body when losing fat, so it doesn't matter whether you're running or lifting weights.

    However, running will not preserve lean body mass like weight training will, so if holding onto muscle is a concern, pure running may not be the best option.

    If simply losing your gut is your primary concern, like it was for me when I got depressed and turned into a chub monster, then keep doing what you're doing.

    Whatever you choose, try and keep your protein intake relatively high and drink plenty of water.
    My over-arching plan has always been in the mindset of losing my belly fat, then focusing on building muscle. I'm fairly new to the fitness world (I was the chubby kid) so I'm not sure how good of a plan that is. When it comes to weight-lifting, like I've said to some of the others in here, I just don't have the equipment to do any serious weight-lifting. I have some classic dumbells, but that's about it.

    I did have a gym membership for awhile, but I just don't find the time to go enough. For now I'm probably going to stick with running and my dumbells, but I would like to add more resistance training and weight-lifting into my regime one of these days. Just not quite sure where to go with any of it.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  23. #947
    Administrator
    PBM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,918
    Rep Power
    119
    Points
    108,587 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    My over-arching plan has always been in the mindset of losing my belly fat, then focusing on building muscle. I'm fairly new to the fitness world (I was the chubby kid) so I'm not sure how good of a plan that is. When it comes to weight-lifting, like I've said to some of the others in here, I just don't have the equipment to do any serious weight-lifting. I have some classic dumbells, but that's about it.

    I did have a gym membership for awhile, but I just don't find the time to go enough. For now I'm probably going to stick with running and my dumbells, but I would like to add more resistance training and weight-lifting into my regime one of these days. Just not quite sure where to go with any of it.
    Lose the fat first. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Certain exercises are also a thousand times easier when you're not overweight, i.e. pull ups, push ups, etc. Hell, running gets easier when you get lighter.

    Dumbbells are extremely limiting and you'll grow out of them quick, so when the time comes, I'd recommend finding a gym with the appropriate equipment. If you have a big enough garage, you can also get a nice free weight set up for 700-1000 dollars ordering through www.newyorkbarbells.com.

    Or you could try a calisthenics-based boot camp routine, such as Insanity Deluxe, which I highly recommend.

    As for things you can do right now, I would advocate adding at least 15 minutes a day of stretching... maybe even yoga type stuff... very beneficial for overall health.
    “Don’t fear failure. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.” ~ Bruce Lee

  24. #948
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,602 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Lose the fat first. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Certain exercises are also a thousand times easier when you're not overweight, i.e. pull ups, push ups, etc. Hell, running gets easier when you get lighter.

    Dumbbells are extremely limiting and you'll grow out of them quick, so when the time comes, I'd recommend finding a gym with the appropriate equipment. If you have a big enough garage, you can also get a nice free weight set up for 700-1000 dollars ordering through www.newyorkbarbells.com.

    Or you could try a calisthenics-based boot camp routine, such as Insanity Deluxe, which I highly recommend.

    As for things you can do right now, I would advocate adding at least 15 minutes a day of stretching... maybe even yoga type stuff... very beneficial for overall health.
    Thanks man. I've neglected stretching recently, and really need to get into the habit of doing so. Will probably do some stretches and go out for a run later should the weather permit.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  25. #949
    Forum Guru
    [DT]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vilano Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,867
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    17,992 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You can't target areas of your body when losing fat, so it doesn't matter whether you're running or lifting weights.
    Conflicting (and painfully incorrect) information inbound in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

    (i.e., the above quote is totally correct.)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    However, running will not preserve lean body mass like weight training will, so if holding onto muscle is a concern, pure running may not be the best option.
    [Yet another] great point from PBM. Especially long distance, paced running, is not good for maintaing (and certainly not building) lean muscle mass - you’re much better off with short distance, HIIT styled running (mixed speeds, intensity, full stops mixed with some burpees, etc.), unless you’re actually training towards long distance type results.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    If you have a big enough garage, you can also get a nice free weight set up for 700-1000 dollars ordering through www.newyorkbarbells.com.
    I’ve mentioned this before, but quite a few people hop into lifting, bail and sell/trade their equipment into one of those used sports gear shops. Around here we have ‘Play it Again Sports’ and there’s a constant supply of very lightly used weight sets for about 40-60% less than retail.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    As for things you can do right now, I would advocate adding at least 15 minutes a day of stretching... maybe even yoga type stuff... very beneficial for overall health.
    Yoga has been fantastic for us. I’m way more limber, my joints and skeletal system feels 1000% better, it’s improved my other training, and it’s great for clearing the mind and gaining a little focus


    ***

    Side note: people have talked about weight/weighing and much has been said about the pretty substantial variation due to water retention, hydration, etc. For fun today before yoga (keep in mind this is Bikram, so it’s 90 minutes in a 105+ degree room), I did a before vs. after weigh in, no clothes (behave...), and I had a ~4.4 lb change, and that was being reasonably hydrated up front and pounding a coupe of 16oz waters during practice.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

  26. #950
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,132
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    6,602 (0 Banked)
    Just out of curiosity...

    Right now I do a pretty sustained pace 4 mile jog every day (or every other day). How would the results vary from if I did HIIT running (where I did a 1 minute jog, and then a sprint for as long as possible, and repeat for 20 minutes or so) or if I kept my current routine? Also, would this be more beneficial towards my goal of an overall lean physique (with a primary concern of the waist / lower back / belly section)?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.