Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 293949 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    Conflicting (and painfully incorrect) information inbound in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

(i.e., the above quote is totally correct.)
    LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Just out of curiosity...

Right now I do a pretty sustained pace 4 mile jog every day (or every other day). How would the results vary from if I did HIIT running (where I did a 1 minute jog, and then a sprint for as long as possible, and repeat for 20 minutes or so) or if I kept my current routine? Also, would this be more beneficial towards my goal of an overall lean physique (with a primary concern of the waist / lower back / belly section)?
    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a better option if you're looking to preserve lean body mass and is still beneficial for improving your cardiovascular health. It all depends on your goals, though.

"Getting lean" is still above all else a function of lowering your body fat percentage. The less layering of fat there is covering your muscles, the more defined they will appear and the more you will appear lean overall... or that horrible word "tone" if you will. Tone refers to the hardness of your muscles, not their appearance, just fyi.

In regards to your [waist/lowerback/belly section] ... just keep losing weight and you'll eventually lose fat in those annoying areas. You can be almost completely lean and still have a little belly fat, tempting you to want to throw a bag of kittens into the sun in a fit of rage, but just keep your persistance and you'll get there.

If you really want to lean out, I would recommend weight training every other day... say Monday, Wednesday, and Friday... and on your "off days" (non strength training days) do HIIT (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)... and give yourself Sunday off. Keep your workouts short and sweet on strength training days [6-8 reps] and remember to keep your protein intake relatively high (every day, not just days you use weights... you grow out of the gym, not while you're in it)... let's say roughly 1 pound of protein per pound of LBM... or at least 100 grams of protein a day. Not only is higher protein going to allow you to preserve LBM, but you'll also burn more calories ingesting protein as protein requires more energy to digest than either carbs or fat, and protein can make you feel more satiated. Gnawing hunger is not exactly fun on a diet.

For macronutrients, you should be getting at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM, with 60-70% of your fat intake coming from unsaturated fat sources. Saturated fat is very important and shouldn't be neglected as it's a precursor to testosterone production and the endocrine system in general and has many important functions in the body... it's also the heart's primary source of energy. Too much saturated fat is a bad thing though, obviously.

The rest of your calories can come from protein, fat, or carbs based on your comfort levels. I would fit in 90% of your simple carbs before and after your workouts with the rest of your carbs for the day consisting of complex carbs like whole wheat or starchy food such as potatoes, etc.

Drink plenty of water a day. This is very important... at least 8 glasses a day is recommended, though I'd try to aim for 12. Most people are under-hydrated. You'll know if you're under-hydrated if your urine is closer to bronze than clear. The closer to clear your urine color is, the better hydrated you are.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

2. Likes 33x likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    LOL...

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a better option if you're looking to preserve lean body mass and is still beneficial for improving your cardiovascular health. It all depends on your goals, though.

"Getting lean" is still above all else a function of lowering your body fat percentage. The less layering of fat there is covering your muscles, the more defined they will appear and the more you will appear lean overall... or that horrible word "tone" if you will. Tone refers to the hardness of your muscles, not their appearance, just fyi.

In regards to your [waist/lowerback/belly section] ... just keep losing weight and you'll eventually lose fat in those annoying areas. You can be almost completely lean and still have a little belly fat, tempting you to want to throw a bag of kittens into the sun in a fit of rage, but just keep your persistance and you'll get there.

If you really want to lean out, I would recommend weight training every other day... say Monday, Wednesday, and Friday... and on your "off days" (non strength training days) do HIIT (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)... and give yourself Sunday off. Keep your workouts short and sweet on strength training days [6-8 reps] and remember to keep your protein intake relatively high (every day, not just days you use weights... you grow out of the gym, not while you're in it)... let's say roughly 1 pound of protein per pound of LBM... or at least 100 grams of protein a day. Not only is higher protein going to allow you to preserve LBM, but you'll also burn more calories ingesting protein as protein requires more energy to digest than either carbs or fat, and protein can make you feel more satiated. Gnawing hunger is not exactly fun on a diet.

For macronutrients, you should be getting at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM, with 60-70% of your fat intake coming from unsaturated fat sources. Saturated fat is very important and shouldn't be neglected as it's a precursor to testosterone production and the endocrine system in general and has many important functions in the body... it's also the heart's primary source of energy. Too much saturated fat is a bad thing though, obviously.

The rest of your calories can come from protein, fat, or carbs based on your comfort levels. I would fit in 90% of your simple carbs before and after your workouts with the rest of your carbs for the day consisting of complex carbs like whole wheat or starchy food such as potatoes, etc.

Drink plenty of water a day. This is very important... at least 8 glasses a day is recommended, though I'd try to aim for 12. Most people are under-hydrated. You'll know if you're under-hydrated if your urine is closer to bronze than clear. The closer to clear your urine color is, the better hydrated you are.
    Can't thank you enough. Just got done with my first HIIT run; did 30 seconds of jogging, followed by 30 seconds of running for 30 minutes without stopping and man can I feel it. I'll probably do that every other day, as you suggested. Feels great.

The biggest issue with my diet... I've been eating a lot less than I used to, and as I try to implement more into my diet again, I'm finding myself stumped as to what to put into it. Obviously a lot of this will have to come from my own research and food preferences, but quite frankly I'm clueless when it comes to getting the right amount of nutrients. I've brought all of these things up before, I know, but due to my lack of good cooking skills I find it very difficult to get the right diet.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Can't thank you enough. Just got done with my first HIIT run; did 30 seconds of jogging, followed by 30 seconds of running for 30 minutes without stopping and man can I feel it. I'll probably do that every other day, as you suggested. Feels great.

The biggest issue with my diet... I've been eating a lot less than I used to, and as I try to implement more into my diet again, I'm finding myself stumped as to what to put into it. Obviously a lot of this will have to come from my own research and food preferences, but quite frankly I'm clueless when it comes to getting the right amount of nutrients. I've brought all of these things up before, I know, but due to my lack of good cooking skills I find it very difficult to get the right diet.
    Here's a list of healthy foods: http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php

There's an endless plethora of recipes here: http://www.food.com/

Honestly... nobody sucks at cooking. You just need to practice... over and over again... until you are comfortable with your skills. Nobody was born knowing how to cook or how to play an instrument. Some people are just innately talented and good for them, but we're not talking about them. You may not turn into Gordon Ramsay, but you'll certainly become a decent enough cook to where it won't bother you anymore. Take a lookie here for some basics:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/technic.htm
    http://allrecipes.com/howto/campus-c...ginners-guide/

I know finding what to eat can be a pain in the arse, but once you get into the swing of things, it WILL become easier.

Good luck!
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner View Post
    Health is wealth...
    I think exercise is best for health....Also its benefited for fitness...
    ???

That's rather redundant, but yes.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    A few clicks away from getting this off amazon. I love back extensions. When I used to go to the gym I was lifting 40kg on this exercise and the sensation in my back afterwards was reason enough to do it. It's my favorite lower back exercise (not that keen on dead lifts). Anyone else like it the exercise?

The Heisman
    Not sure if I posted this already but:

August 15, 2011: 212 lbs
    April 21, 2012: 189 lbs

woot

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

8. Likes Nitey , TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    A few clicks away from getting this off amazon. I love back extensions. When I used to go to the gym I was lifting 40kg on this exercise and the sensation in my back afterwards was reason enough to do it. It's my favorite lower back exercise (not that keen on dead lifts). Anyone else like it the exercise?

Why aren't you keen on deadlifts? Back extensions are hardly a replacement for deads.

Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    Not sure if I posted this already but:

August 15, 2011: 212 lbs
    April 21, 2012: 189 lbs

woot
    Grats, bro.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Why aren't you keen on deadlifts? Back extensions are hardly a replacement for deads.
    I do squats already, but sometimes I get discomfort in my knee (have had it for many many years) and I don't want to push it. I know that deads are one of the best exercises you can do, but it's also a risky exercise, and unlike deads, I actually enjoy doing extensions.

El Presidente
    I've lost some weight which I'm pleased with. Since my foot is broken the weight has been lost from diet alone.

March 17 - 190lbs
    May 6 - 182lbs

I'm pretty pleased and am shooting for 175 or there abouts. Then when my foot it fine I can get back to exercise.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

12. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    I do squats already, but sometimes I get discomfort in my knee (have had it for many many years) and I don't want to push it. I know that deads are one of the best exercises you can do, but it's also a risky exercise, and unlike deads, I actually enjoy doing extensions.
    If squats are causing discomfort in your knee or knees, you are doing them wrong. Squats are primarily a hamstring and glute movement and there should hardly be any pressure on your knees... with perfect form there shouldn't be ANY stress on the knees... even athletes with no ACL can do squats when done with perfect form. If you are feeling knee stress, your flexibility, especially in the hamstrings, could be to blame. Deads I can maybe understand, however, Deads are also a very technical lift. When done properly, you shouldn't feel pain in the knees. I see a lot of people dragging the weight up over their knees and down onto their knees again before touching it back to the ground. So wrong for so many reasons. Back extensions work barely any of the muscles that Deads do. It is one of the best exercises there is... when done with perfect form. If you are adamant about extensions, by all means do what you feel comfortable with. I would recommend getting a legit trainer (98% of trainers are, unfortunately, trash) to help you learn them properly. I can recommend an excellent book on the matter if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...6370979&sr=8-1

Step by step instructions on proper compound lift technique grounded in 60 years of science and lifting experience. Anyone that touches weights should own this book.

Deads are only risky when done incorrectly. Any exercise that requires large muscle groups is dangerous when done wrong.

Anyway, best of luck to you with whatever you do. I do fit in extensions every once in a while myself. One thing for sure, just keep doing what you're doing. Staying activite is the best choice you can make for your health.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-07-2012 at 07:18.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    If squats are causing discomfort in your knee or knees, you are doing them wrong. Squats are primarily a hamstring and glute movement and there should hardly be any pressure on your knees... with perfect form there shouldn't be ANY stress on the knees... even athletes with no ACL can do squats when done with perfect form. If you are feeling knee stress, your flexibility, especially in the hamstrings, could be to blame. Deads I can maybe understand, however, Deads are also a very technical lift. When done properly, you shouldn't feel pain in the knees. I see a lot of people dragging the weight up over their knees and down onto their knees again before touching it back to the ground. So wrong for so many reasons. Back extensions work barely any of the muscles that Deads do. It is one of the best exercises there is... when done with perfect form. If you are adamant about extensions, by all means do what you feel comfortable with. I would recommend getting a legit trainer (98% of trainers are, unfortunately, trash) to help you learn them properly. I can recommend an excellent book on the matter if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...6370979&sr=8-1

Step by step instructions on proper compound lift technique grounded in 60 years of science and lifting experience. Anyone that touches weights should own this book.

Deads are only risky when done incorrectly. Any exercise that requires large muscle groups is dangerous when done wrong.

Anyway, best of luck to you with whatever you do. I do fit in extensions every once in a while myself. One thing for sure, just keep doing what you're doing. Staying activite is the best choice you can make for your health.
    First and foremost, your contributions in this thread are awesome. There is so much great info over the last few pages, it's great having such knowledge around. Thanks!

Well I don't think it's anything to do with my form, I make sure I stick my ass out and dont allow my knees to drift forward much at all, let alone over my toes (which would be the usual reason for knee discomfort. I didn't have any issues yesterday on my legs & back day, I'll stick with the deads for now I think. Well, I will have a look at this book. Cheers.

Administrator
    Oops! I forgot to mention a book that has helped me a lot post knee surgery. I can't recommend it highly enough: http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own...6373684&sr=8-1

As for Deads, I'd hold off on them until you are confident your technique is spot on. I'd rather you stay on the safe side of things.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-07-2012 at 07:59.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I've started doing some weights again, only using my basic dumbbells at the moment but I figure any bit of exercise is better than none at all!

I was doing sit ups a while back and I was doing 50 a day but I read that if you can do more than 20 then it's a waste of time unless you add weights to the routine? I'm not sure if the comments I read were from people who just do general exercises or were people who want to body build

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I hurt my lower back again doing squats, and it was without weight. Like PBM said, if you perform squats and deads correctly, there shouldn't be a problem. But this is the fourth time I've hurt my lower back, so I think I'm giving up. I'm going to rest for a period and then start a more conservative routine.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sorry to hear that Ix. Well I was wondering, if I'm doing squats anyway, the same muscles are (more or less) getting used, so the omission of deads from my routine would be no major loss..or?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I hurt my lower back again doing squats, and it was without weight. Like PBM said, if you perform squats and deads correctly, there shouldn't be a problem. But this is the fourth time I've hurt my lower back, so I think I'm giving up. I'm going to rest for a period and then start a more conservative routine.
    If you hurt your lower back using no weight on squats, you may have an underlying and rather severe flexibility issue. You might also have issues with your lower back musculature and various interconnecting components of your biomechanics. After your "rest period", I wouldn't do a conservative routine, I would see a physician. There's an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. If you can't even do just the bar on squats... I would do no-bar squats... as in... just using your body to squat down... no weights... just you. You'll be able to feel where some of the issues might be stemming from. It could be your hammies, it could be your hips or glutes... it could be something entirely unrelated. I would seriously set up an appointment with a physician before you engage in anymore physical activity. Your back... and especially your spine... are more important than anything, so please see to that first before doing anything else.

Sorry to hear that Ix. Well I was wondering, if I'm doing squats anyway, the same muscles are (more or less) getting used, so the omission of deads from my routine would be no major loss..or?
    No, they don't work the same muscles. Having a strong back is important for just about everything you do in life. A healthy person should be able to deadlift their own weight. If you can't, you may be setting yourself up for a back injury by simply lifting something if you don't have strong enough supporting muscles to carry something. Deads, when done properly, give you a stronger back, a stronger core, and overall strength more than any other exercise (squats are pretty damned good as well). Unless you have a reason for not doing deadlifts... such as a slipped disc or any other spinal related injury or degenerative disease, I would include them in your routine at least once a week or every two weeks. Given the demand of the deadlift, you should also never go above 5 reps. I can't stress form and control enough. If... no matter what exercise you are doing... you do not have complete and utter control over a weight, you are using too much weight. Even something as simple as bicep curls... if you have to jerk up and bounce around just to get the weight up, it's too much weight. It's an arm exercise, not an ab, leg, hips, back, neck, shoulders, whatever the hell else you're using to get the weight up exercise. "Leave your ego at the door". Just remember, you're not at the gym to impress anyone. You're just trying to get fitter and stronger than YOU.

I can't recommend deadlifts without knowing the proper form though, so if you haven't properly read up on the exercise in its entirety, don't do it. You'll just end up injuring yourself. I again recommend getting the Starting Strength book if you plan on doing compound lifts (bench press, squats, deadlifts, power clean, etc.). Just stay away from compound lifts if you're just "winging it" in terms of how the exercise is executed. Many muscle groups, tendons, bones, ligaments, nervous system adaptation are involved. You don't wing it. It's complicated and requires practice. The bad thing about these lifts is your central nervous will adapt to frequent, repeated activity. So, if you do the exercise wrong, your body will adapt to the exercise done improperly, and the improper movement during the exercise becomes your body's normality... which if you can imagine can eventually lead to various problems and injury.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-08-2012 at 04:49.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Since i got my bike, i was doing 30 mins a day at a flat reguarly pace, now ive dropped it it to 4 x 20min interval sessions, i do 90secs at a good pace, then 30secs at flat out.

Till i get my stamina back, i will carry on doing that? or should i decrease my rest time?

i think ive lost weight. pretty sure i have!! just trying to lose weight, nothing more. Oh and i do 50 stomach crunches a night.

The hardest thing for is now what to eat and when?
    Last edited by 33x; 05-08-2012 at 15:01.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If you hurt your lower back using no weight on squats, you may have an underlying and rather severe flexibility issue. You might also have issues with your lower back musculature and various interconnecting components of your biomechanics. After your "rest period", I wouldn't do a conservative routine, I would see a physician. There's an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. If you can't even do just the bar on squats... I would do no-bar squats... as in... just using your body to squat down... no weights... just you. You'll be able to feel where some of the issues might be stemming from. It could be your hammies, it could be your hips or glutes... it could be something entirely unrelated. I would seriously set up an appointment with a physician before you engage in anymore physical activity. Your back... and especially your spine... are more important than anything, so please see to that first before doing anything else.
    Yeah, I already set up two appointments with two different doctors. Over the past two years, I've been to one general practitioner and two chiropractors. The first one said I had an inflamed disc, the second said I had arthritis, and the third said I just had misalignments in my spine. So I never got a concrete answer. It's definitely a disc issue, but I wasn't having any issues for the past six months or so. I thought I was in the clear. Guess not!

And I hurt it while just doing body squats in my room. So I wasn't even using a bar. I seem to re-aggravate it once or twice a day since then when sitting down.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Yeah, I already set up two appointments with two different doctors. Over the past two years, I've been to one general practitioner and two chiropractors. The first one said I had an inflamed disc, the second said I had arthritis, and the third said I just had misalignments in my spine. So I never got a concrete answer. It's definitely a disc issue, but I wasn't having any issues for the past six months or so. I thought I was in the clear. Guess not!

And I hurt it while just doing body squats in my room. So I wasn't even using a bar. I seem to re-aggravate it once or twice a day since then when sitting down.
    Did any of them have you get scans done? Or were they just giving you their opinion? It's very important that you know exactly what's wrong, especially in regards to your spine. 3 different opinions doesn't cut it. It's a sensitive issue. I went through 8 years of pain and surgeries until I finally found a surgeon with the skill to fix me and properly diagnose my royally f***ed up knee. I had part of my knee and surrounding cartilage grafted in and within 3 years... it's like my injury never happened. Truly amazing surgeon. Gnarly scar, though.

I would keep setting appointments until you get a definitive answer. Medical practitioners piss me off sometimes. One even had the gull to tell me "Those dreams of yours? You can forget about them." I'm glad that is no longer the case (my mom almost slapped the $#@! out of him when he said that... lol).

Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Since i got my bike, i was doing 30 mins a day at a flat reguarly pace, now ive dropped it it to 4 x 20min interval sessions, i do 90secs at a good pace, then 30secs at flat out.

Till i get my stamina back, i will carry on doing that? or should i decrease my rest time?

i think ive lost weight. pretty sure i have!! just trying to lose weight, nothing more. Oh and i do 50 stomach crunches a night.

The hardest thing for is now what to eat and when?
    What are your goals? I gave a pretty hefty post regarding calories a little ways back. Nothing wrong with biking. Anything you do stay active is great.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-08-2012 at 19:03.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I lost 4 pounds in one week. I need to slow it down, that's too fast.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I lost 4 pounds in one week. I need to slow it down, that's too fast.
    That's actually pretty good and not too fast. Ive known people who've lost more in that time. That weight lost rate will slow down though. It's a normal thing.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Okay, thank you.

I'm happy that I am back to losing!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Man, I'm able to do pull ups/chin ups again! In NZ I was able to do 10-12 on all variations, then I came to Austria and $#@!ed my shoulder in martial arts training. My strength in pull ups waned to the point I couldn't even do one. My shoulder has been healed for about a year now but due to shift work I could never workout consistently. In the past 2 weeks or so I went from 0 pull ups to 2-3. I started with doing negatives and assisted variations. Now I can do a few, I will have my bar up and will knock some out whenever I pass the door. I can't wait to return to my former strength. This was a very uplifting victory for me.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nice one Ghost. I should really start doing pull-ups too, I struggle with them though lol. I've been told to try and to 10 sets of 1, and so on until I can string a few together. I'll have to give it a go

28. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Nice one Ghost. I should really start doing pull-ups too, I struggle with them though lol. I've been told to try and to 10 sets of 1, and so on until I can string a few together. I'll have to give it a go
    Cheers, I recommend it. There is something about the pull up/chin up that is very satisfying for me. It's nice to know that if you needed to, in a life threatening situation, you could pull your own body weight up.

The 10 sets of 1 is a good idea. I had to use a foot on the edge of a chair to assist myrself up to the bar, then slowly (4 seconds) let myself down till my arms are straight, then put the foot back on the chair and repeat. I am sooooo chuffed to be able to do 3 or 4. I will train them during my legs and back day, and once or twice through the week.

30. Likes Nitey likes this post

Thread Information