Page 41 of 74 FirstFirst ... 314151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1842
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibiquera View Post
    Just today I saw this thread and found quite a lot of helpful comments. So I actually have some questions of my own, if I could get some help from you guys.

I have always been a bit chubby (I'm 180 cm or 5'10 and at the moment I weigh 101 kg) but I began working out at the beginning of this year. The problem is that I think for the amount of effort I'm putting in I'm getting less return than I expected. So far I lost ~4 kg, which is not bad, but I was hoping for a bit more.

So basically what I'm doing is working out 3 or 4 days a week. I usually do half hour of elliptical, 10 to 20 minutes of non-cardio workout (each day I concentrate on a different part of the body), then 20 to 30 minutes on the treadmill where I do the interval (usually 3.2 mph of rest and 6 to 7 mph of work).

Also as far as I'm concerned I'm eating more healthy and probably a bit less than before.

So am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions? Also I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to going to the gym, so I'd appreciate if the technical terms could be simplified.
    Tell us a bit about what youre eating, how much, how often etc. As others have said here, you can lose weight by eating alone if you are in a calorie deficit. If weightloss has been slow, despite cardio, it will probably have something to do with your diet.

Superior Member
    Yeah, I thought about that too, but I think now I'm eating slightly less than before I began to work out, and before I was more or less able to maintain my weight.

Usually my daily diet is a ham and cheese sandwich with a small cup of coffee in the morning. Lunch is when I eat the most, usually rice, beans and some kind of meat with maybe some vegetables. On the afternoon I have carrots, nuts and a yogurt as snacks. For dinner, usually a smaller portion of food, for example an egg sandwich. I don't eat a lot of fruits, but I do eat a reasonable amount of vegetables. I rarely eat junk food and usually don't eat a lot of sweets.

I also noticed that my brother throughout the years would eat a lot more junk than I did and would be slim, so there might be a predisposition for me to be fat.

But I wonder if the way I do my workout is somehow incorrect, like if it's too little, too much, too infrequent, etc. It seems that there are so many variables to an ideal workout that it's difficult to keep track of them all.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that going by the count on the cardio machines I use I burn between 2000-2500 calories a week.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah, I thought about that too, but I think now I'm eating slightly less than before I began to work out, and before I was more or less able to maintain my weight.

Usually my daily diet is a ham and cheese sandwich with a small cup of coffee in the morning. Lunch is when I eat the most, usually rice, beans and some kind of meat with maybe some vegetables. On the afternoon I have carrots, nuts and a yogurt as snacks. For dinner, usually a smaller portion of food, for example an egg sandwich. I don't eat a lot of fruits, but I do eat a reasonable amount of vegetables. I rarely eat junk food and usually don't eat a lot of sweets.

I also noticed that my brother throughout the years would eat a lot more junk than I did and would be slim, so there might be a predisposition for me to be fat.

But I wonder if the way I do my workout is somehow incorrect, like if it's too little, too much, too infrequent, etc. It seems that there are so many variables to an ideal workout that it's difficult to keep track of them all.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that going by the count on the cardio machines I use I burn between 2000-2500 calories a week.
    Hmm, I think we need Mr Munky for this one. What you're eating seems reasonable so I'm not sure. I'd wager though that you are an endomorph body type. Endomorphs can put on fat REALLY easy and they really have to watch what they eat and work hard to slim down because their metabolism isn't as efficient. You're brother sounds like the opposite, an ectomorph, their metabolisms burn like hell and they are always lean. My best mate in New Zealand lived off of pizza and junk food, and you could always see his abs ($#@!in asshole lol).

The only other suggestion I would make is to eat wholegrain bread, drink more water if you're not already. You can shed a few pounds simply by getting enough water each day (it's called water retention). Actually, you should do some weight training aswell if possible. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns passively just to feed them. Aside from the calories you would burn working out (which can be about 600 in an hour long workout with 60 sec breaks), you will burn calories night and day without doing anything. PeanutButterMunky will be able to better help you though
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-26-2012 at 05:23.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    wesmore24
    Items EA LogoBattlefield 3Bruce LeeUser name style
    I've upgraded my workout! So now every other day I do 100 pushups and 200 hundred curls in each arm with a 15 pound weight. Then with the same weight I do 100 curls like with the wrist in each hand. Then depending on the day i will do 100 toe raisers and I always do 200 hundred sit ups at the end.

On some days i mix it up a little, instead of 100 pushups and 200 hundred curls i would do 200 hundred pushups and 100 curls. Its tiring but it pays off.

5. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmore24 View Post
    I've upgraded my workout! So now every other day I do 100 pushups and 200 hundred curls in each arm with a 15 pound weight. Then with the same weight I do 100 curls like with the wrist in each hand. Then depending on the day i will do 100 toe raisers and I always do 200 hundred sit ups at the end.

On some days i mix it up a little, instead of 100 pushups and 200 hundred curls i would do 200 hundred pushups and 100 curls. Its tiring but it pays off.
    You serious about this routine? You'll gain very little muscle mass by doing hundreds of curls and sit-ups, it'll probably help your muscle endurance but you won't gain much. You're only 14 though so I can see why you're not on a real gym routine, but seeing that you have dumbbells at home you could actually do a ''real'' workout with them, depending of course how much weight you have on those dumbbells.

When I was your age I too did hundreds of push-ups and other moves only later realising that they won't do much.

Learn to do signatures here

7. Likes x6Teen, Ghost likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    wesmore24
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    You serious about this routine? You'll gain very little muscle mass by doing hundreds of curls and sit-ups, it'll probably help your muscle endurance but you won't gain much. You're only 14 though so I can see why you're not on a real gym routine, but seeing that you have dumbbells at home you could actually do a ''real'' workout with them, depending of course how much weight you have on those dumbbells.

When I was your age I too did hundreds of push-ups and other moves only later realising that they won't do much.
    I've been doing that routine for awhile now, and my arms have gotten bigger, I know because before i worked out i was skinny as hell, plus im tall so it looks worse, but since i've been working out my arms have gotten bigger. And the situps do work. But i'd like to see more results, what do you suggest I do, or what can I do to change my routine to get better results? I have dumbells ranging from 6-40 btw.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah, how much weight do you have? You could do exercises for your whole body instead of doing many reps of few. Your enthusiasm is great though.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    wesmore24
    How much weight? Like dumbells?, if so I have 1: 15lbs, 2: 20lbs, 2: 40lbs, 1: 25lb, and my dad also has a bar with multiple weights you can put on it. I dont know what they are called though. Also, do you guys know any good workouts for the core?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Hmm, I think we need Mr Munky for this one. What you're eating seems reasonable so I'm not sure. I'd wager though that you are an endomorph body type. Endomorphs can put on fat REALLY easy and they really have to watch what they eat and work hard to slim down because their metabolism isn't as efficient. You're brother sounds like the opposite, an ectomorph, their metabolisms burn like hell and they are always lean. My best mate in New Zealand lived off of pizza and junk food, and you could always see his abs ($#@!in asshole lol).

The only other suggestion I would make is to eat wholegrain bread, drink more water if you're not already. You can shed a few pounds simply by getting enough water each day (it's called water retention). Actually, you should do some weight training aswell if possible. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns passively just to feed them. Aside from the calories you would burn working out (which can be about 600 in an hour long workout with 60 sec breaks), you will burn calories night and day without doing anything. PeanutButterMunky will be able to better help you though
    Thanks. I think I drink around 2 litres of water a day, which should be enough. Regarding weight training I usually do 10-20 minutes for 3 days a week between 2 cardio sessions, plus a day when I do some 20 minutes of squats. So I don't know if I should do more weights, or dedicated weight training days. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Thanks. I think I drink around 2 litres of water a day, which should be enough. Regarding weight training I usually do 10-20 minutes for 3 days a week between 2 cardio sessions, plus a day when I do some 20 minutes of squats. So I don't know if I should do more weights, or dedicated weight training days. Any suggestion would be helpful.
    Well I personally workout 3 days a week (1. chest and tris 2. legs & back 3. shoulders & biceps) for about an hour. If you have a decent selection of weights I would suggest focusing on dedicated weight training days a bit more doing 12-15 sets per workout. I do my workouts on Fri, Sat and Sunday, cause then I know I'll have time, then I walk to work each weekday (40 mins brisk walk). So yeah, MY suggestion would be more focus on building miscle but yeah, I think we need one of our resident experts to analyse your diet as I'm just a simple man on this matter lol. What you eat seems reasonable to me.

@wes http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ there are many exercises that you could do. As for the core, squats, deadlifts.
    Last edited by Ghost; 05-27-2012 at 04:14.

13. Likes Tibiquera likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Random gym story I might as well share

I hate crazy people
    Last edited by Nitey; 06-01-2012 at 15:25.

15. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    He sounds like a dip$#@!. :/
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    You're gonna change gyms just 'cause of that asshole? $#@! that man, don't let $#@!heads like that push you around!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Random gym story I might as well share

I hate crazy people
    Made me laugh. Could see it clearly. Whatta nut job lol.

19. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    spyrde - Its not just because of him, he just reinforced my recent thoughts about that gym. There's no etiquette throughout the entire place and the staff are like a clan, and don't really do anything at all. Before they had people working their that would put stray weights/equipment away or just organise the areas a bit but the current staff don't give a $#@! about anything.

So yeah the idea of cancelling my sub had been brewing for a while and he just pushed me over the edge and kinda highlighted everything that's so wrong about that place lol

Plus the thing about Gold's Gym is that there is only 4 in the whole of England so I consider myself lucky that one is only 20~ mins walk away from my house as the facilities there are excellent and they have a big swimming pool AND it's cheaper by 5, and it's about 3 times as big. + they got Boxing classes that come under membership as far as I've been told

At first I just joined Fitness First [my current gym] because it was closer and I didn't think I'd eventually be so serious about training, but now that I am I can see how crap the gym is. It's a noobie gym [am I allowed to say that?], when I go on Wednesday's I pray that no one is using the one and only squat rack which looks as if it's twice my age, and there's also hardly ever enough hook attachment things to use with the cable machines, etc, etc. Little things like that have eventually driven me nuts

Excited about joining Gold's in a couple months now, hopefully they don't let me down.

tl;dr - It's just overall a crap gym and he just gave more of a reason to just leave that $#@!hole

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    spyrde - Its not just because of him, he just reinforced my recent thoughts about that gym. There's no etiquette throughout the entire place and the staff are like a clan, and don't really do anything at all. Before they had people working their that would put stray weights/equipment away or just organise the areas a bit but the current staff don't give a $#@! about anything.

So yeah the idea of cancelling my sub had been brewing for a while and he just pushed me over the edge and kinda highlighted everything that's so wrong about that place lol

Plus the thing about Gold's Gym is that there is only 4 in the whole of England so I consider myself lucky that one is only 20~ mins walk away from my house as the facilities there are excellent and they have a big swimming pool AND it's cheaper by 5, and it's about 3 times as big. + they got Boxing classes that come under membership as far as I've been told

At first I just joined Fitness First [my current gym] because it was closer and I didn't think I'd eventually be so serious about training, but now that I am I can see how crap the gym is. It's a noobie gym [am I allowed to say that?], when I go on Wednesday's I pray that no one is using the one and only squat rack which looks as if it's twice my age, and there's also hardly ever enough hook attachment things to use with the cable machines, etc, etc. Little things like that have eventually driven me nuts

Excited about joining Gold's in a couple months now, hopefully they don't let me down.

tl;dr - It's just overall a crap gym and he just gave more of a reason to just leave that $#@!hole
    Gold's Gym is usually very good, but dealing with those issues comes down to management. However, since it is a large chain company you can report issues to corporate.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

22. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I missed this thread, so I figured I'd drop in and talk about my progress. For the past week, I've been closely monitoring everything I eat. I made a little excel chart, and made a few columns: Calories, Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat. I've been trying to strike a good balance between the three because I realize it's very important, especially when you're trying to gain a little bit of muscle like me.

When I started monitoring what I ate, I felt kind of silly. I always thought that people who count every single calorie (or close) that they consumed were crazy and over-thinking things way too much. I still agree with that mentality to an extent. What I've realized, though, is that monitoring your nutrition for a short period of time (anywhere from a week to a month or so) is actually very beneficial. It doesn't take much time, and it has helped me learn a lot about the things I put into my body and I know that when I decide to stop checking every single nutritional label I can find, I'll have a better idea as to the amount of protein, fat, and carbohydrates in that substance.

The balance I've been shooting for is 30% protein (not the common 20% because again, I'm trying to gain some muscle), 50% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. I've also been trying to keep track of my TDEE to see if I'm taking in the amount of calories I need everyday. It turns out that generally, I've been consuming only about 1,600 calories per day, which is more or less my current Basal Metabolic Rate. That's without a doubt the reason I lost so much weight over the past year. I'm still struggling to get those calories up, but I'm not all too eager to do so; I have this fear that when I decide to start eating more in order to gain muscle, I'm just going to get fat. So for now I'm focused more on keeping the balance as opposed to upping my calorie intake which, admittedly, is probably stupid. Any advice on gaining muscle without much fat? I know I'm bound to gain some fat in the process, but I'm really looking to minimize it. I won't want to be a bodybuilder, but I want to have fairly well-defined muscles throughout my entire body.

Back to the subject of my balance between protein, carbs and fat, my monitoring has actually improved my balance considerably. On the first day, I consumed 17% protein, 64% carbs and 18% fat. Today, I've consumed 34% protein, 51% carbs and 15% fat. Obviously there is still some adjusting to be done, but my numbers are much closer to my ideal percentages than they were a week ago.

If anything I have said here is outright the wrong approach, please call me out on it. I've done considerable research of my own, but I'm open to advice and constructive criticism.

Oh! That reminds me... Any thoughts on my weekly workout regime? I rotate between workouts A and B every day, and sometimes take Sunday as a day off.

Workout A:

Assisted pull-ups: 2 sets of 8-12 (once I can actually do a pull-up, they won't be assisted, of course)
    Rowing machine: 2 sets of 8-12
    Underhand Medium-Grip Pulldown: 2 sets of 8-12
    Hyperextension: 2 sets of 12
    Single Arm Lateral Raise: 2 sets of 8-12 (2 times with each arm)
    Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 15-30 (depending on weight intensity)
    Planks: 2 1:00 minute planks with a 1 minute break in between.
    Crunches: 2 sets of 20-25
    Pushups: 2 sets of 20
    Squats: 2 sets of 20

Workout B:

Squats: 2 sets of 10 (using a free weight rather than full squat workout equipment as in workout A)
    Pushups: 1 set of 20
    Crunches: 2 sets of 20
    Planks: 2 1:00 minute planks with a one minute break in between.
    Run: 2 miles
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

The Heisman
    completed the Colorado Tough Mudder 2012!!!

Anyone else done one of these challenges??? A lot of fun, but I am $#@!ing exhausted...

...and I subsequently caught the flu...still fun!

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    SchaffinOSX, I would really suggest another program with a lot more compound movements. It's good to see you have a 2-day split though, a lot of beginners tend to overestimate volume instead of frequency. I don't suggest going to the gym every day though.

I suggest something like this:

Workout 1: Upper Body

Barbell Bench Press - 3x5
    Barbell Row - 3x8
    Incline Bench/Military Press (you can do both if you want) - 3x8
    Pull-Ups (or assisted in your case) - 3x8
    +an added shoulder move

Workout 2: Lower Body and Arms

Squat - 3x5
    Deadlift - 3x5
    (Leg Press - 3x10)
    Calf Raises - 3xfailure
    Barbell Curls - 3x8
    Skullcrushers - 3x8

I use a similar program as above and I see good gains at the moment. You can do as much core work as you want (weighted incline sit-ups work wonders), cardio and running can be done too as long as you eat enough to compensate for it. If squatting and deadlifting on the same day becomes a problem, then just switch it to upper body day. It's essential you do both moves though.

The most important thing is nutrition though, and it's good to see that you focus a lot on it. Now it is essential to eat on a surplus because otherwise you will not gain muscle, I try to be on a ~500 cal surplus when bulking.
    Last edited by spyrde; 06-12-2012 at 16:40.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I think I'll give your workout a try when I head to the gym in about an hour. How frequently would you recommend hitting the gym if I were to follow the regime you've posted? And if I were to use this regime and eat right, how long would you guess it'd take before some noticeable results set in (mere curiosity)?

I must admit that I'm a bit weary of this workout because of my own weird fear towards using barbells. I've mentioned it before, but I guess I've just always thought anything using a barbell would be too difficult for me or that I'd make a fool of myself. Time to overcome that silly fear, I guess.

Also, you say you're on a 500 calorie surplus. Which number is it a surplus from? Your BMR? TDEE?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Is it okay to substitute vegetables for V8 drinks?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I missed this thread, so I figured I'd drop in and talk about my progress. For the past week, I've been closely monitoring everything I eat. I made a little excel chart, and made a few columns: Calories, Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat. I've been trying to strike a good balance between the three because I realize it's very important, especially when you're trying to gain a little bit of muscle like me.

When I started monitoring what I ate, I felt kind of silly. I always thought that people who count every single calorie (or close) that they consumed were crazy and over-thinking things way too much. I still agree with that mentality to an extent. What I've realized, though, is that monitoring your nutrition for a short period of time (anywhere from a week to a month or so) is actually very beneficial. It doesn't take much time, and it has helped me learn a lot about the things I put into my body and I know that when I decide to stop checking every single nutritional label I can find, I'll have a better idea as to the amount of protein, fat, and carbohydrates in that substance.

The balance I've been shooting for is 30% protein (not the common 20% because again, I'm trying to gain some muscle), 50% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. I've also been trying to keep track of my TDEE to see if I'm taking in the amount of calories I need everyday. It turns out that generally, I've been consuming only about 1,600 calories per day, which is more or less my current Basal Metabolic Rate. That's without a doubt the reason I lost so much weight over the past year. I'm still struggling to get those calories up, but I'm not all too eager to do so; I have this fear that when I decide to start eating more in order to gain muscle, I'm just going to get fat. So for now I'm focused more on keeping the balance as opposed to upping my calorie intake which, admittedly, is probably stupid. Any advice on gaining muscle without much fat? I know I'm bound to gain some fat in the process, but I'm really looking to minimize it. I won't want to be a bodybuilder, but I want to have fairly well-defined muscles throughout my entire body.

Back to the subject of my balance between protein, carbs and fat, my monitoring has actually improved my balance considerably. On the first day, I consumed 17% protein, 64% carbs and 18% fat. Today, I've consumed 34% protein, 51% carbs and 15% fat. Obviously there is still some adjusting to be done, but my numbers are much closer to my ideal percentages than they were a week ago.

If anything I have said here is outright the wrong approach, please call me out on it. I've done considerable research of my own, but I'm open to advice and constructive criticism.

Oh! That reminds me... Any thoughts on my weekly workout regime? I rotate between workouts A and B every day, and sometimes take Sunday as a day off.

Workout A:

Assisted pull-ups: 2 sets of 8-12 (once I can actually do a pull-up, they won't be assisted, of course)
    Rowing machine: 2 sets of 8-12
    Underhand Medium-Grip Pulldown: 2 sets of 8-12
    Hyperextension: 2 sets of 12
    Single Arm Lateral Raise: 2 sets of 8-12 (2 times with each arm)
    Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 15-30 (depending on weight intensity)
    Planks: 2 1:00 minute planks with a 1 minute break in between.
    Crunches: 2 sets of 20-25
    Pushups: 2 sets of 20
    Squats: 2 sets of 20

Workout B:

Squats: 2 sets of 10 (using a free weight rather than full squat workout equipment as in workout A)
    Pushups: 1 set of 20
    Crunches: 2 sets of 20
    Planks: 2 1:00 minute planks with a one minute break in between.
    Run: 2 miles
    Just stick to your workouts and eat as healthy as you can. I suggest you stick to a workout routine for at least 6 weeks before switching to another one. Remember, no one knows your body like you do and it takes time for results to show, but it will come with some consistency. Unless you are really overweight, I wouldn't worry about counting calories too much. You are only 17 and you may be still growing so it's normal for your body to go through certain changes. If bodybuilding isn't your goal then just keep working out and eating right and you will achieve the well defined muscles........and don't forget to do cardio because it will help get you there.
    sure, since they are basically the same.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 06-14-2012 at 01:04.

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    ...why wouldn't it be???

veggies are actually better.... less sodium

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    ...why wouldn't it be???

veggies are actually better.... less sodium
    Because veggies have fiber and V8 drinks don't.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Because veggies have fiber and V8 drinks don't.
    whats your problem with fiber???

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Thread Information