Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 324252 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1846
    Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I think I'll give your workout a try when I head to the gym in about an hour. How frequently would you recommend hitting the gym if I were to follow the regime you've posted? And if I were to use this regime and eat right, how long would you guess it'd take before some noticeable results set in (mere curiosity)?

I must admit that I'm a bit weary of this workout because of my own weird fear towards using barbells. I've mentioned it before, but I guess I've just always thought anything using a barbell would be too difficult for me or that I'd make a fool of myself. Time to overcome that silly fear, I guess.

Also, you say you're on a 500 calorie surplus. Which number is it a surplus from? Your BMR? TDEE?
    I usually train 4-5 times a week, so I train two days straight and have one day rest after that. Results don't come overnight, but if you eat right and train hard with progressive overload (meaning you add weights to the bar after the previous ones become easy), you will see results on the scale, the gym and in the mirror. If you do it right you might be able to add weights or reps to your movements with every gym visit! You can take before and after pics so you can judge your progress yourself. Be sure to maintain good form though and not rush things.

Don't be afraid of barbells, you should learn to embrace them right from the start, they're the real mass builders. I made the mistake of training with machines mostly in the beginning and I didn't make good progress. A big point with barbell movements is that you should learn to execute the moves correctly, if you do them wrong you could seriously injure yourself. Focus on the form especially with squats and deadlifts (the 2 most important moves).

Your 500cal surplus is from the amount you burn per day, so if you go running one day then you obviously have to eat more to cover the burned calories.
    Last edited by spyrde; 06-14-2012 at 20:48.

Learn to do signatures here

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Apologies for just interjecting here.

If I want to build strength and muscle, what supplement would you more experienced trainers recommend? I know that these things are pricey so if there's one that stands above the rest then that's what I'll have.
    I'm not too serious - as in I don't intend on becoming a bodybuilder, but I'll like to have something to present, but above all, strength.
    I'll have you know that I'm not on a diet, because as I say, I'm not looking to become a bodybuilder. With that being said, if not having a strict diet makes taking a supplement meaningless, then there's that.

Thanks.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Molo316 View Post
    Apologies for just interjecting here.

If I want to build strength and muscle, what supplement would you more experienced trainers recommend? I know that these things are pricey so if there's one that stands above the rest then that's what I'll have.
    I'm not too serious - as in I don't intend on becoming a bodybuilder, but I'll like to have something to present, but above all, strength.
    I'll have you know that I'm not on a diet, because as I say, I'm not looking to become a bodybuilder. With that being said, if not having a strict diet makes taking a supplement meaningless, then there's that.

Thanks.
    I would say just try and eat well balanced meals three times a day and stick to a good workout plan. As far as supplements go, just get some whey protein and creatine and you will be fine. Be consistent with your workouts and switch it up after 5 to 6 weeks. You are only 23 years old and your testosterone levels should be high enough to improve your bone density and build the strength and muscle you desire. Don't forget to about cardio too because it will help with the toning and definition of your muscles.

4. Likes Molo316 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I would say just try and eat well balanced meals three times a day and stick to a good workout plan. As far as supplements go, just get some whey protein and creatine and you will be fine. Be consistent with your workouts and switch it up after 5 to 6 weeks. You are only 23 years old and your testosterone levels should be high enough to improve your bone density and build the strength and muscle you desire. Don't forget to about cardio too because it will help with the toning and definition of your muscles.
    Thanks for your detailed response.

To be honest, I also don't have the dedication to eat entirely properly. And my reason for going to the gym is that I don't want to let myself go, but if I have access to weights and such, I'm going to use them.
    So on that basis, is it worth taking a supplement?

And I assure you, I always do some cardio, even if it's just for a quarter of an hour to warm up, but usually I do about 50 minutes worth - cross-trainer, cycling machine, and end the whole work-out on the treadmill.

Elite Sage
    Thanks for your detailed response.

To be honest, I also don't have the dedication to eat entirely properly. And my reason for going to the gym is that I don't want to let myself go, but if I have access to weights and such, I'm going to use them.
    So on that basis, is it worth taking a supplement?

And I assure you, I always do some cardio, even if it's just for a quarter of an hour to warm up, but usually I do about 50 minutes worth - cross-trainer, cycling machine, and end the whole work-out on the treadmill.
    I would say yes, especially if you lack protein in your meals. Like I said before, you are still pretty young and getting plenty of protein isn't as important now as it will be when you get a little older. As we get older we tend to lose muscle mass,(unless you workout on a regular basis) so getting some protein is always beneficial. I'm not sure what you eat on a daily basis but i will bet that there is at least a small amount of protein included. As for cardio, you seem to be on the right track with that routine. Just make sure you are doing it at a good pace to increase your heart rate, and that will help keep your metabolism up and help to burn fat. Remember, the more muscle mass you wan't the more you have to increase your protein intake. That could be with shakes or with food. Things like egg whites,(or the whole egg) lean chicken breasts,steak, and fish are good examples.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 06-15-2012 at 04:01.

7. Likes Molo316 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    whats your problem with fiber???
    Not a problem, it's just the reason why I wanted to know if V8 drinks are okay instead of veggies.

So, I've been eating really good and exercising well for the last 3 days. I'm back to being consistent again and I finally joined myfitnesspal.

I have 3 questions:

1. I noticed even on a good diet that has me full under my calorie goal I am consuming a lot of sodium. In fact, so much sodium that it's 1500 - 2000 above the recommended amount. Should I be concerned and adjust my diet? Or is it normal for today's food, even healthy ones, to have a lot of sodium?

2. So my breakfast does not have enough calories and I am compensating for it later in the day in other meals. I want to increase the amount of breakfast calories, so what's something else that's just 200 calories and healthy I can eat for breakfast? Also, what are you nutrition people's thoughts on eating the most calories in the morning and decreasing it from there?

3. Okay, how bad is it if you go over the recommended nutrition intake (fats, protien, carbs) but you're still under your calorie goal? I go over the most on protein and the least on fat these last days. Do I need adjustments to my diet?

Thank you!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

The Heisman
    1) sodium is not necessarily bad for you, but you need to make sure you drink a lot of water. Nonetheless, I would recommend identifying what you are eating that has high sodium and replace it. V8 for example...

2) egg whites, fruit,
    Nothing wrong with breakfast being the largest meal of the day. you just don't want your largest meal to be dinner, before you go to bed. You really don't want to have one large meal... it would be better to have 5-6-7 "shmedium" sized meals throughout the day. Keep your glucose (? glycogen... I forget) levels in check

3) its pretty much impossible to accurately calorie count... so I wouldn't get worked up over your limits by a little bit. So long as you are working out and staying within moderation. Personally... I eat lean protein and get all my carbs from veggies and fruit. If I do eat fat... its from cashews, avocados... and the occasional steak

I'm paleo-ish.... 90% paleo.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I would say yes, especially if you lack protein in your meals. Like I said before, you are still pretty young and getting plenty of protein isn't as important now as it will be when you get a little older. As we get older we tend to lose muscle mass,(unless you workout on a regular basis) so getting some protein is always beneficial. I'm not sure what you eat on a daily basis but i will bet that there is at least a small amount of protein included. As for cardio, you seem to be on the right track with that routine. Just make sure you are doing it at a good pace to increase your heart rate, and that will help keep your metabolism up and help to burn fat. Remember, the more muscle mass you wan't the more you have to increase your protein intake. That could be with shakes or with food. Things like egg whites,(or the whole egg) lean chicken breasts,steak, and fish are good examples.
    Alright mate, that sounds fair enough. So I'll look to buy something protein related. I hear a lot about Whey protein, so I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a lot

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Sorry for the double post, but I need to refer back to the supplements issue I have.

I mentioned to a few friends today that I was considering buying one for the first time, and they advised me against it. One friend said that it "$#@!s your body" up in later life, and another said that there have been cases of liver damage due to supplements.
    Can anyone who uses them or what not shed any light on the matter?

Basically I'd like to take one that increases size and strength, and I found this. and it was recommended by my gym after I explained to them what I want.
    I'm thinking about it because I feel that I've been stuck at a certain level, in terms of weights, for a while now and do not feel comfortable and capable of lifting heavier weights.
    But like I say, if anyone can shed any light on my concerns then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Sorry for the double post, but I need to refer back to the supplements issue I have.

I mentioned to a few friends today that I was considering buying one for the first time, and they advised me against it. One friend said that it "$#@!s your body" up in later life, and another said that there have been cases of liver damage due to supplements.
    Can anyone who uses them or what not shed any light on the matter?

Basically I'd like to take one that increases size and strength, and I found this. and it was recommended by my gym after I explained to them what I want.
    I'm thinking about it because I feel that I've been stuck at a certain level, in terms of weights, for a while now and do not feel comfortable and capable of lifting heavier weights.
    But like I say, if anyone can shed any light on my concerns then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    There are no magic supplements that will make you lift more weights better. You don't gain weight or size with supplements, they might aid you but the real thing you should be focusing on is food.

I say ditch the whole idea of supplements out of your head and start focusing more on your diet. I know you're not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything but if you actually want muscle mass you need to start eating on a surplus and get enough protein. You don't need supplements to do this. You are stuck at a certain level because there is either something wrong with your nutrition or training.

Oh, and your friends are spewing bro-science at it's purest. Lmao if they really think whey protein $#@!s up your body.
    Last edited by spyrde; 06-16-2012 at 21:57.

The Heisman
    nothing wrong with a protein supplement.... just make sure that A) there aren't other supplements in there... and B) you are buying good quality protein... I wanna say whey concentrate is suppossedly bad for your kidneys

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    There are no magic supplements that will make you lift more weights better. You don't gain weight or size with supplements, they might aid you but the real thing you should be focusing on is food.

I say ditch the whole idea of supplements out of your head and start focusing more on your diet. I know you're not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything but if you actually want muscle mass you need to start eating on a surplus and get enough protein. You don't need supplements to do this. You are stuck at a certain level because there is either something wrong with your nutrition or training.

Oh, and your friends are spewing bro-science at it's purest. Lmao if they really think whey protein $#@!s up your body.
    Alright, fair enough.

What foods, or meals even, would you recommend?

Cheers.

Master Guru
    Alright, fair enough.

Cheers.
    Anything as long as it hits your macros. In other words, as long as you meet your caloric requirements daily (should be a 500cal surplus when bulking) and your protein, fat and carb requirements, you can eat whatever you want. Of course, try and avoid processed foods and try and get enough vitamins and minerals and such, but don't make it too hard for yourself.

16. Likes Molo316 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Alright, fair enough.

Cheers.

The food I mentioned earlier are a good start. You can use thee shakes to replace a meal or just take in between them. Getting more protein in your diet won't harm you.

Originally Posted by Sub-stance1

18. Likes Molo316 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers guys.

Veteran
    I have good news. Sunday is my weigh day, I weigh myself every Sunday.

So on June 10, I weighed at 224 lbs. This is June 17 and I weighed in at:

219.8 lbs! I lost 4.2 lbs in one week!

I am proud of myself, BUT, I have been down this road before. I lose weight and then end up gaining it back again. So I am kind of taking this with a grain of salt. I have never been below 217 since I have began. So we'll see if it's serious this time if I get below 217.

What's difference this time is I have a more accurate calorie counter in myfitnesspal. I eat under my calorie goals and still feel full.

My next weigh in is June 24th.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I have good news. Sunday is my weigh day, I weigh myself every Sunday.

So on June 10, I weighed at 224 lbs. This is June 17 and I weighed in at:

219.8 lbs! I lost 4.2 lbs in one week!

I am proud of myself, BUT, I have been down this road before. I lose weight and then end up gaining it back again. So I am kind of taking this with a grain of salt. I have never been below 217 since I have began. So we'll see if it's serious this time if I get below 217.

What's difference this time is I have a more accurate calorie counter in myfitnesspal. I eat under my calorie goals and still feel full.

My next weigh in is June 24th.
    Good job! If you stay motivated like this even through the tougher times then the real results will start to kick in.

You said you measure yourself every Sunday, do you measure yourself at the same time too? Not trying to dis-encourage you, but there are a lot of factors that might affect your weight. For example if you eat before weighing yourself then obviously you will weigh more. A good thing to avoid this is to just weigh yourself every Sunday morning immediately after you wake up.

Veteran
    I weigh myself without drinking or eating anything, right after using the bathroom. So it's a pretty accurate weight.

Master Guru
    I weigh myself without drinking or eating anything, right after using the bathroom. So it's a pretty accurate weight.
    Good good, excellent progress then!

Veteran
    So if I lose 4 more lbs after this week, do I need to tone it down? That will have been 8 lbs in two weeks.

Also, what are the signs you are losing weight too fast? I don't know if it's the sodium or what, but I'm having headaches a lot. It could be something else, but I want to know if that's a sign I'm losing too fast.

Master Guru
    So if I lose 4 more lbs after this week, do I need to tone it down? That will have been 8 lbs in two weeks.

Also, what are the signs you are losing weight too fast? I don't know if it's the sodium or what, but I'm having headaches a lot. It could be something else, but I want to know if that's a sign I'm losing too fast.
    Wheres the problem lol? Weight drops off easily in the beginning but it'll start to slow down once your overall bodyfat percentage goes down aswell. Remember that it's very easy to gain it all back too. Just keep at it and don't binge.
    Last edited by spyrde; 06-19-2012 at 14:08.

26. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yep. Refrain from binging, I kind of have this problem lol.

I bumped into my old buddy at the gym today and he commented on my weight loss! Feels good man. Motivated me to keep going too. Not to say I lack motivation, but its just that little something extra

Veteran
    I have bad news.

Yesterday I ran out of food and was not able to get to a store to grocery shop. So I got some subway subs to make it to today. The problem is, yesterday I ate a sub and went over my calorie goal by 1000! I had no idea that a subway sub could be 1200 until I put it in myfitnesspal. I'm back on the healthy diet and going grocery shopping today. Since I went over, that could mess up my whole week and result in a weight gain instead of loss.

It's amazing how one decision in one day can mess up a week's worth of work.

Master Guru
    I have bad news.

Yesterday I ran out of food and was not able to get to a store to grocery shop. So I got some subway subs to make it to today. The problem is, yesterday I ate a sub and went over my calorie goal by 1000! I had no idea that a subway sub could be 1200 until I put it in myfitnesspal. I'm back on the healthy diet and going grocery shopping today. Since I went over, that could mess up my whole week and result in a weight gain instead of loss.

Don't stress it too much, allow yourself some cheat meals time to time, just not as crazy as this time lol. 1000 calories over maintenance is way too much, you can go over with a couple hundred time to time but not constantly. You can always exercise too so you can shed off a couple hundred extra calories.

30. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I have bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Don't stress it too much, allow yourself some cheat meals time to time, just not as crazy as this time lol. 1000 calories over maintenance is way too much, you can go over with a couple hundred time to time but not constantly. You can always exercise too so you can shed off a couple hundred extra calories.
    I'm with spyrde on this one. The problem is when that kind of eating becomes a habit. Eating 1,000 calories over your maintenance shouldn't even lead to you gaining one pound, so long as that is the only occurrence. The reason people gain weight is because they consistently have bad eating habits. So like spyrde said, just make sure to keep your diet on track the majority of the time, with reasonable splurges sprinkled throughout.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

32. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

Thread Information