Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 394959 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1849
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You're going to need to starting knowing what you eat instead of just guessing if you have any hope of putting on muscle mass.

Here's a little project for you:

Go sign up for a free account @ www.MyFitnessPal.com.

Starting tomorrow, or whenever is convenient... start tracking the calories of everything you eat. Don't eat differently or anything... just eat as you normally would, but log everything. Do this for seven days in a row... and then find the average calories that you consume every day. This will give you an idea of where you're at and will help you to understand where you need to go from there in order to put on some muscle weight.
    How can i know the amount of calories of every dish i eat? Its too hard to keep track and know every dish calories.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    How can i know the amount of calories of every dish i eat? Its too hard to keep track and know every dish calories.
    Read the nutrition labels... search the nutrition facts online... it doesn't have to be exact, you're just ball-parking your average calorie intake. That website also has millions of different types of food in their database already.
    "Courage is the key to life.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Ok i will give it a try. Will let you know the results.

4. Likes Brandon likes this post
    ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Cool. :]

The Heisman
    New deadlift PR: 415

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    New deadlift PR: 415
    Noice, congrats! Very impressive!

It'll take some time before I even hit the 400s, gotta swim and run so much to prepare myself for the army that I really don't have the energy to do full gym sessions too often anymore.

Learn to do signatures here

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Whoa nice, Daywalker.

I recently started strength training again after spending over a month doing mainly cardio as my shoulder was messed up. I think I went unnecessarily hard on squats last Friday, my legs are still kind of sore almost a week later :/

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Whoa nice, Daywalker.

I recently started strength training again after spending over a month doing mainly cardio as my shoulder was messed up. I think I went unnecessarily hard on squats last Friday, my legs are still kind of sore almost a week later :/
    That means you did 'em properly

The Heisman
    Thanks guys... pretty excited about it. It felt pretty "easy" too so I think I could do 425 ish the next time I max.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get your core strong enough to do L-pullups?
    i.e.- your hips make a right angle with your torso and you do a pullup.

I know how to get better at the pullup part... basically- do pullups.
    But my core is not strong enough toeven hold my legs are the proper angle...

tips appreciated

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    Thanks guys... pretty excited about it. It felt pretty "easy" too so I think I could do 425 ish the next time I max.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get your core strong enough to do L-pullups?

I know how to get better at the pullup part... basically- do pullups.
    But my core is not strong enough toeven hold my legs are the proper angle...

tips appreciated
    Well I'd usually say that heavy deadlifts and squats are the best for your core but since youre already doing them.....

I suggest static core work, maybe with weights to strengthen that middle section. One great move I've found that really strengthened my core was that I went to the incline bench, held my body parallel to the floor, held a barbell weight on my chest, and started turning my upper body from one side to the other. Moves similar to this such as weighted leg raises (can be held static aswell) really strengthen your core better than anything.
    Last edited by spyrde; 11-30-2012 at 18:13.

The Heisman
    meh- just to get better/healthier...

I wasn't feeling like myself... tired, no energy, unhappy, and I was gaining weight like it was my job. I won't say that I was fat... but I was soft... and my normal lifting routine that I had been doing pretty much since HS football was not doing the job anymore. I was strong enough... but weight was increasing and I was no longer lean.

since starting xfit I've went from 212 to 188#... feel much better all around...

Squat was 330# now 360#
    DL 330# now 415#
    and then a whole bunch of other lifts and movements have improved too

and I look way better naked And isn't that what its ultimately all about?
    Last edited by DayWalker; 12-02-2012 at 03:06.

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Look for Pavel Tsatsouline's "Bullet Proof Abs". If you can't "find it", send me a PM.

I would think with 300-400 pound squats and deads you wouldn't have a core strength issue...

The Heisman
    Look for Pavel Tsatsouline's "Bullet Proof Abs". If you can't "find it", send me a PM.

I would think with 300-400 pound squats and deads you wouldn't have a core strength issue...
    Hmmm... I would disagree that squats or DL require "that much" core strength...

I don't think I have ever have a particularly strong core- planks have always been difficult, and just holding myself in the L position is pretty difficult...

...part of me suspects its a flexibility issue, which I have always been terrible at.

I'll take a look at that suggestion

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Hmmm... I would disagree that squats or DL require "that much" core strength...

I don't think I have ever have a particularly strong core- planks have always been difficult, and just holding myself in the L position is pretty difficult...

...part of me suspects its a flexibility issue, which I have always been terrible at.

I'll take a look at that suggestion
    The core is absolutely involved in squats and deads and not having a strong core can dramatically increase your risk of injury during these movements. You're mistaken.

A strong core is a foundation for the rest of your entire body.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    you might not know it but deadlifting 400+ and squatting 300+ safely would almost be impossible for something with a weak core
    Exactly. It's just not happening otherwise.

The Heisman
    The core is absolutely involved in squats and deads and not having a strong core can dramatically increase your risk of injury during these movements. You're mistaken.

A strong core is a foundation for the rest of your entire body.
    Well I didn't say that the core wasn't involved AT ALL...

Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    remember man the core ins't just abs. it's your spine, ass, hips, back, obliques also

you might not know it but deadlifting 400+ and squatting 300+ safely would almost be impossible for something with a weak core
    ah- well good point. My comments were more focused on the abs

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Doing my best currently. Training everyday and some days go to the gym to use special equipment. Also drink 1.5 L of milk everyday.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Doing my best currently. Training everyday and some days go to the gym to use special equipment. Also drink 1.5 L of milk everyday.
    What are you training every day?
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-05-2012 at 18:48.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    What are training every day?
    Its a sentence meaning that i train every day.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Its a sentence meaning that i train every day.
    I meant what are "you" training every day? Not the meaning of the sentence... I'm asking you what parts of the body are you training every day? What exercises are you doing? Good lord.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I meant what are "you" training every day? Not the meaning of the sentence... I'm asking you what parts of the body are you training every day? What exercises are you doing? Good lord.
    Mainly im training my core, im doing 200 push ups everyday and those things on the sides as well. I also lie on my elbows and try to maintain my body straight and so for 2 minutes. I also make sit ups. In the gym i mainly use different weight lifting machines for pretty much every part of the body.

Master Guru
    Mainly im training my core, im doing 200 push ups everyday and those things on the sides as well. I also lie on my elbows and try to maintain my body straight and so for 2 minutes. I also make sit ups. In the gym i mainly use different weight lifting machines for pretty much every part of the body.
    Why don't you get a proper workout plan? Seems logical if you have access to a proper gym.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    So who told you to do this and why did you think this was a good idea? Because that's an awful routine, to be quite honest. You grow out of the gym, not in it. Your body needs time to recover. It takes between 2-3 days for muscles to fully recover. If you overload your nervous system, which you can easily do by training the same crap every single day, you can get burnt out. It takes roughly 10 days for the nervous system to recover... quite a bit longer than your muscles. It would be a better idea to split up your routine so that on one day, for instance, you are doing push/press movements (triceps, pectorals, etc.) and another day doing pulling movements (rows, chin ups, etc.). Or at the very least, if you want to work out every single friggin' day, to do a different body part every day, or at the very least, not doing the same body parts several days in a row to allow them proper recovery time.

I take it by "those things on the sides" and "I lie on my elbows" you mean planks.

You should also really steer away from machines and try to use free weights. They're a lot more beneficial for your body and incorporate more muscles in the movements you are doing, thus increasing overall strength, endurance, and balance that cannot be acquired through machines.

What are you doing on the machines?

What's your diet like?

What goals are you trying to accomplish?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    So who told you to do this and why did you think this was a good idea? Because that's an awful routine, to be quite honest. You grow out of the gym, not in it. Your body needs time to recover. It takes between 2-3 days for muscles to fully recover. If you overload your nervous system, which you can easily do by training the same crap every single day, you can get burnt out. It takes roughly 10 days for the nervous system to recover... quite a bit longer than your muscles. It would be a better idea to split up your routine so that on one day, for instance, you are doing push/press movements (triceps, pectorals, etc.) and another day doing pulling movements (rows, chin ups, etc.). Or at the very least, if you want to work out every single friggin' day, to do a different body part every day, or at the very least, not doing the same body parts several days in a row to allow them proper recovery time.

I take it by "those things on the sides" and "I lie on my elbows" you mean planks.

You should also really steer away from machines and try to use free weights. They're a lot more beneficial for your body and incorporate more muscles in the movements you are doing, thus increasing overall strength, endurance, and balance that cannot be acquired through machines.

What are you doing on the machines?

What's your diet like?

What goals are you trying to accomplish?
    Yeah planks thats right, forgot how they were called...
    I did have a routine back then but i did not progress and after discussing with different people they told me that i should work out everyday. If i feel starting exhausted or just bad i should stop. But till now everything is going smooth.

My diet is just eat a $#@! load of stuff as i am very low weight. My goal is to become a $#@!ing beast, its that simple.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    You're not going to become a beast with what you're doing. I don't know what your routine was back then, but what you have now is not going to get your to your goals. Telling me you "eat a $#@! load of stuff" isn't going to help either. It's hard to help when you're being vague.

Of course things will feel like they're "going smooth" right now... until you get burnt out... or when you hit a plateau. Then you're just going to become frustrated again.

If all you're doing is machines, you're certainly not going to become a beast. There are no machine alternatives for deadlifts and squats... and those two compound lifts alone will make you beastly. There also aren't any machine alternatives to bench press either... as they limit the number of muscles recruited during the movement.

You will grow doing machines... much like any other exercise, but they are not optimal. And for becoming a beast you're going to need to be doing a lot more than than just doing whatever and eating whatever and hoping it works.

How old are you? How tall are you? What weight are you? What's your first weight goal? What's your end weight goal? What's the breakdown of your diet? (carbohydrates, fats, protein, fiber, supplements, etc.) How many calories are you eating every day? How much weight are you gaining per week? What exercises are you doing on the machines? How much weight? What's the set/rep ranges you are doing? How long are you in the gym for when you work out? What is the previous routine you were doing that you weren't seeing results with?

"It's that simple". It really isn't. You need to think about this a little more. You have the passion and dedication, but if you aren't on the proper regimen or if you could be on a better regimen to let you reach your goals much faster... that would be optimal. The dedication is there.

Granted, you can do whatever you like... nobody can tell you otherwise... I'm just not a big fan of wasting valuable time in the gym. And your diet is THE #1 factor for achieving the results you want.

P.S. Who are these "different people" that told you you should work out every day? Did they give a reason? What are their qualifications?

Thread Information