Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 405060 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1846
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You're not going to become a beast with what you're doing. I don't know what your routine was back then, but what you have now is not going to get your to your goals. Telling me you "eat a $#@! load of stuff" isn't going to help either. It's hard to help when you're being vague.

Of course things will feel like they're "going smooth" right now... until you get burnt out... or when you hit a plateau. Then you're just going to become frustrated again.

If all you're doing is machines, you're certainly not going to become a beast. There are no machine alternatives for deadlifts and squats... and those two compound lifts alone will make you beastly. There also aren't any machine alternatives to bench press either... as they limit the number of muscles recruited during the movement.

You will grow doing machines... much like any other exercise, but they are not optimal. And for becoming a beast you're going to need to be doing a lot more than than just doing whatever and eating whatever and hoping it works.

How old are you? How tall are you? What weight are you? What's your first weight goal? What's your end weight goal? What's the breakdown of your diet? (carbohydrates, fats, protein, fiber, supplements, etc.) How many calories are you eating every day? How much weight are you gaining per week? What exercises are you doing on the machines? How much weight? What's the set/rep ranges you are doing? How long are you in the gym for when you work out? What is the previous routine you were doing that you weren't seeing results with?

"It's that simple". It really isn't. You need to think about this a little more. You have the passion and dedication, but if you aren't on the proper regimen or if you could be on a better regimen to let you reach your goals much faster... that would be optimal. The dedication is there.

Granted, you can do whatever you like... nobody can tell you otherwise... I'm just not a big fan of wasting valuable time in the gym. And your diet is THE #1 factor for achieving the results you want.

P.S. Who are these "different people" that told you you should work out every day? Did they give a reason? What are their qualifications?
    My previous routines were lift weights and do other regular exercises at home. I did that 4 times a week and progressed very slowly and then just stopped.

My height is 1.85, i am 17 years old and my weight is only 60 kgs. The people who i was speaking of were the captain of my team and my main coach.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Why don't you get a proper workout plan? Seems logical if you have access to a proper gym.
    I do have a proper workout plan but i use it only in the gym and i dont go to the gym every day, i train at home as well.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 12-05-2012 at 19:15.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You're being vague again. "Lift weights" doesn't mean anything, nor does "do regular exercises at home". You did what 4 times a week? What exercises? What set/rep schemes were you doing? (this is important, because lower reps with heavier weight is optimal for muscular hypertrophy [i.e. growth])

Your height is 1.85? Is that meters? I'm going to guess you're around 6 feet tall then. And 60 kilograms is 132 pounds where I'm from. That is REALLY skinny. Working out every single day is not going to help you put on weight... unless you're eating enough calories to compensate for the calories lost. You still have yet to tell me what your current routine is... which is... frustrating. "Eating a $#@!load" in your case might not be enough... that is... if you don't know how much that "$#@!load" is. You'd be surprised how much you actually need to eat... sometimes to the point of puking... to get in enough calories every day. I was eating between 5,000 and 6,500 calories a day when I went from 100 pounds to 160 pounds for high school football. After a year I was scary huge... before that I looked like a starved Ethiopian. You could count my ribs.

What you absolutely NEED (and this isn't an option) in your routine to get huge... and if you did nothing else besides these exercises... you would get big. Those exercises are Barbell Squat, Barbell Bench Press, Barbell Deadlift, Barbell Shoulder Press, and Power Cleans. Rows and Chins Ups are also very good exercises. However, if you don't know how to do squats, deads, and power cleans (they are complex and require perfect form for maximal growth and proper injury prevention) then an experienced coach would need to show you. People Bench incorrectly as well so it's something nice to learn to do correctly. I personally don't do power cleans because of a previous knee injury I suffered in football, and you don't necessarily need to do them either (you can replace them with some heavy form of rows, like T-Bar rows). But you need to incorporate these compound lifts into your routine or you're not going to reach the "beast" goal you are trying to attain.

I asked you many questions and you answered very few of them. Please be more specific.

Or at least tell me you don't want help so I can stop caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    I do have a proper workout plan but i use it only in the gym and i dont go to the gym every day, i train at home as well.
    A routine that you continue not to share with us.

P.S. The Smith Machine and the Leg press are not alternatives to the Squat
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-05-2012 at 19:21.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Its very hard to describe all the exercises and lift trainings i do cause i am not the one who composes the ones in the gym. At home like i already said i concentrate on my core by doing push ups, sit ups, planks etc. In the gym my team captain is the one who composes the training. He tells me which exercises i should do and how.

I am 1 Meter 85 Centimeters and 60 KGs that is right. I am 17 and recently started training very seriously so that i can get a lot more stronger till i reach 18. Of course i am going to continue training after i reach 18 years. I dont count the calories in every thing i eat and just try to eat as much as i can and stay healthy at the same time, also i got better things to do instead of counting the calories of every piece of food i ate. I remember using a site which counts the calories i ate but it was way too time demanding and i just couldnt fill all the info every day as i dont have that much time for that.

Btw i do need your help and i appreciate your effort.

Forum Elder
    You will never stop learning. I started weight training six years ago and learn new stuff all the time.

Bodybuilding.com is a great place to learn about this stuff. whenever I start to plateau, I go there. I have followed several diffetent routines from that site with great success.

They also have nutrition articles, calculators, and recipes to follow.

Just dont get overwhelmed and stick with it, its hard but worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator
    Its very hard to describe all the exercises and lift trainings i do cause i am not the one who composes the ones in the gym. At home like i already said i concentrate on my core by doing push ups, sit ups, planks etc. In the gym my team captain is the one who composes the training. He tells me which exercises i should do and how.

I am 1 Meter 85 Centimeters and 60 KGs that is right. I am 17 and recently started training very seriously so that i can get a lot more stronger till i reach 18. Of course i am going to continue training after i reach 18 years. I dont count the calories in every thing i eat and just try to eat as much as i can and stay healthy at the same time, also i got better things to do instead of counting the calories of every piece of food i ate. I remember using a site which counts the calories i ate but it was way too time demanding and i just couldnt fill all the info every day as i dont have that much time for that.

Btw i do need your help and i appreciate your effort.
    I’ve never had a coach in high school give me sporadic and random workouts that I couldn’t follow. In football, we had to write down every single set and rep we did for each exercise. Our training was very specific and involved all compound movements. We had the biggest, strongest guys of any team in the county (sometimes a little too big... we had one guy that was 6’10”, 400 pounds). If your coach was mine, I would try to find out the specifics of the training (if possible) so that I could incorporate it into my own, whether it be in the gym or at home.

So far... all you’ve told me that you do is abs and push ups. What else do you do? I don’t even care about specifics anymore... I would just like to know what your coach has you doing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    You will never stop learning. I started weight training six years ago and learn new stuff all the time.

Bodybuilding.com is a great place to learn about this stuff. whenever I start to plateau, I go there. I have followed several diffetent routines from that site with great success.

They also have nutrition articles, calculators, and recipes to follow.

Just dont get overwhelmed and stick with it, its hard but worth it.

That’s true... you will never stop learning... but it’s the most valuable thing you can learn about. Bodybuilding.com is okay. However... please never go to their forums. You will become retarded... like 90% of the people on that board. http://www.t-nation.com has great articles as well, just ignore all the plugs for their supplements (same goes for bodybuilding.com).
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-06-2012 at 05:33.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Forum Elder
    [COLOR=#232323][FONT=Verdana]
    I’ve never had a coach in high school give me sporadic and random workouts that I couldn’t follow. In football, we had to write down every single set and rep we did for each exercise. Our training was very specific and involved all compound movements. We had the biggest, strongest guys of any team in the county (sometimes a little too big... we had one guy that was 6’10”, 400 pounds). If your coach was mine, I would try to find out the specifics of the training (if possible) so that I could incorporate it into my own, whether it be in the gym or at home.

So far... all you’ve told me that you do is abs and push ups. What else do you do? I don’t even care about specifics anymore... I would just like to know what your coach has you doing.

[COLOR=#232323][FONT=Verdana]
    That’s true... you will never stop learning... but it’s the most valuable thing you can learn about. Bodybuilding.com is okay. However... please never go to their forums. You will become retarded... like 90% of the people on that board. http://www.t-nation.com has great articles as well, just ignore all the plugs for their supplements (same goes for bodybuilding.com).
    Yeah dont go to the forums. Stick to the site.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator
    Hey Cyber, how's your progress coming along?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I need to start my daily road work again! I stopped working out for more than 3 months now, and it's not good at all. I want to get back to my normal 10-12K runs daily!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I need to start my daily road work again! I stopped working out for more than 3 months now, and it's not good at all. I want to get back to my normal 10-12K runs daily!
    It's always hard to get back into it, but the sooner you do, the better you'll feel. :]

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Hey Cyber, how's your progress coming along?
    Actually very well, I am (was until this week) drinking 2 liters of milk a day and working out everyday with a specific workout program. On Saturday I still do my intense trainings and see some progress. However this week I feel not that good and as its christmas soon i decided to make a small pause.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    It's always hard to get back into it, but the sooner you do, the better you'll feel. :]
    Well, yesterday i started running again, and i barely broke the 2KM mark!! My back was at its limit

I'll be running again Tomorrow or the day after, if my back feels a bit better.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Well, yesterday i started running again, and i barely broke the 2KM mark!! My back was at its limit

I'll be running again Tomorrow or the day after, if my back feels a bit better.
    LOL, we both sounded like some pussies xD

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    LOL, we both sounded like some pussies xD
    Haha!! Yeah, I need to man up and just do it until i can't!

Forum Guru
    So who told you to do this and why did you think this was a good idea? Because that's an awful routine, to be quite honest. You grow out of the gym, not in it. Your body needs time to recover. It takes between 2-3 days for muscles to fully recover. If you overload your nervous system, which you can easily do by training the same crap every single day, you can get burnt out. It takes roughly 10 days for the nervous system to recover... quite a bit longer than your muscles. It would be a better idea to split up your routine so that on one day, for instance, you are doing push/press movements (triceps, pectorals, etc.) and another day doing pulling movements (rows, chin ups, etc.). Or at the very least, if you want to work out every single friggin' day, to do a different body part every day, or at the very least, not doing the same body parts several days in a row to allow them proper recovery time.

I take it by "those things on the sides" and "I lie on my elbows" you mean planks.

You should also really steer away from machines and try to use free weights. They're a lot more beneficial for your body and incorporate more muscles in the movements you are doing, thus increasing overall strength, endurance, and balance that cannot be acquired through machines.

What are you doing on the machines?

What's your diet like?

What goals are you trying to accomplish?
    Agree that have you have to do different body parts each day if you want to work out regularly. However, does this apply to cardio? I would like to run most days of the week. Aim is to run 4.2km in 30 mins, as this was my best and I have not reached it again in the last 4 years. So I want to build up to it running as often as I can. So I was wondering if what you were saying above applied to cardio too, in particular, running?

I would also have the aim of doing 3 longer sessions in the gym each week at the same time working out other parts of my body including light weights.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Agree that have you have to do different body parts each day if you want to work out regularly. However, does this apply to cardio? I would like to run most days of the week. Aim is to run 4.2km in 30 mins, as this was my best and I have not reached it again in the last 4 years. So I want to build up to it running as often as I can. So I was wondering if what you were saying above applied to cardio too, in particular, running?

I would also have the aim of doing 3 longer sessions in the gym each week at the same time working out other parts of my body including light weights.
    Your body still needs to recuperate from any form of exercise, including cardio, but I would just try and listen to your body and rest when you feel you could use the rest.

I wouldn't combine cardio and weights in the same workout. Preferably you should do cardio one day and weights the next, but if you're pressed for time I would do cardio first and then weights.

As for reaching your cardio goals, have you ever done High Intensity Interval Training? I did HIIT quite a bit when training for my first marathon.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Hey PBM could you further elaborate on why you advise in doing cardio before weight training? I often do it afterwards. My goals are weightloss

Forum Elder
    Weight lifting also has cardio benefits along with burning calories.

About 7 minutes intense weight lifting = 30 minutes of treadmill time

Last edited by chrisw26308; 12-21-2012 at 02:52.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

19. Likes DayWalker likes this post
    The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Weight lifting also has cardio benefits along with burning calories.

About 7 minutes intense weight lifting = 30 minutes of treadmill time

running all the time takes a toll on the knees/joints too... especially if you don't have correct form- and A LOT of people have terrible form.

as stated above- weightlifting has cardio benefits... and its actually better for increasing your metabolism- ie burning fat/calories outside of workouts.

(more muscle = higher metabolism)

also- beware the elliptical.
    yes it reduces impacts on the joints... but its been found to cause a different set of injuries

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Hey PBM could you further elaborate on why you advise in doing cardio before weight training? I often do it afterwards. My goals are weightloss
    I must've been high when I replied. I meant to say weights first, cardio second.

22. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Your body still needs to recuperate from any form of exercise, including cardio, but I would just try and listen to your body and rest when you feel you could use the rest.

I wouldn't combine cardio and weights in the same workout. Preferably you should do cardio one day and weights the next, but if you're pressed for time I would do cardio first and then weights.

As for reaching your cardio goals, have you ever done High Intensity Interval Training? I did HIIT quite a bit when training for my first marathon.
    I must've been high when I replied. I meant to say weights first, cardio second.
    Ok so if I have to, weights first and then cardio?

Nope not done HIIT, what does it involve? I've only done interval training on a bike but that's quite different I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    running all the time takes a toll on the knees/joints too... especially if you don't have correct form- and A LOT of people have terrible form.

as stated above- weightlifting has cardio benefits... and its actually better for increasing your metabolism- ie burning fat/calories outside of workouts.

(more muscle = higher metabolism)

also- beware the elliptical.
    yes it reduces impacts on the joints... but its been found to cause a different set of injuries
    How do you get the correct form for running? And is there a way of telling if you've got the wrong form?

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Administrator
    @ holly: Yes, weights first then cardio.

HIIT can be done on a bike as well. It's basically a cycle of high intensity and a period of rest in between. For running you would, for example, sprint hard for 30 seconds then walk for 2 minutes... and repeat for 20 minutes or so.

This might give you some insight: http://shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-...-training-hiit

Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    btw just to clear a huge myth, AAS does not make your penor smaller
    That's a myth? It made mine bigger back in HS. It caused testicular atrophy, but [they] always returned to normal after PCT was done.

Grats on breaking the plateau.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-24-2012 at 01:27.

Administrator
    ... Double post.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-24-2012 at 01:28.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Think I'm gonna throw in hiit post weights. Probably on the treadmill

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    lols don't you watch movies and shows

whenever the word steroids is mentioned the next thing someone will say is how it makes you pee pee smaller

even in the new rock and mark whalberg movie they mention it. you'd think writers would know better considering it's a ($#@!) movie about lifting

nowadays since i'm much bigger and vascular during the day idiots irl like to say that my $#@! is small just to make them feel better. i just tell them to type in 'kai greene grapefuit' on google lol
    Now that you mention it, yeah... I do remember people saying that. I've just tuned out the idiots over the years. I haven't done a cycle in a decade, but I'm considering it again... probably sometime next year.

If you want to be embarrassed by ignorant script writing, just watch NCIS. =\

Thread Information