Page 51 of 74 FirstFirst ... 415161 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1849
    Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    do it man

best decision i've made tbh. brb lean gains, vascular majority of the day, strength sky rockets and full looking muscles

the only catch is that during the month or two you have to have 100% dedication. never missing a meal or skipping a workout no matter what. i was eating almost 7000 calories and training twice a day and did both strength and hypetrophy work.

long before i cycled i thought that using makes everything easier but the reality is that it just makes it possible.
    Yeah, man. I was eating close to 7K a day as well when I cycled. I think aside from watching your diet and the ability to freakishly train like a madman is you really need to pace yourself. At least in my case I felt like I could work out 20 hours a day. Had to learn restraint because the capacity to lift more is so dramatically increased. I felt like an X-Men... lol. Healing quickly is also a nice bonus. I'll be getting weekly bloodwork done on this cycle. Don't wanna take chances.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Getting quite frustrated with results over the past couple months

I've let my diet go down the drain as I was getting away with eating whatever I wanted but still making sure I was limiting calories for weightloss. I combined it with IF and was seeing decent enough results so I continued to just do that. But now I've hit a wall for almost 2 months and I can't seem to steadily continue my weightloss, one week it seems like I'm back in the groove of losing but then it just stalls and even creeps up a bit. I don't want to decrease my calories any lower as Im already at around 1600~ and that within just a small eating window. I'm 5'10 and 180lbs, I have a lot of bodyfat.

I must admit that some days I would go even lower than 1600 out of frustration in thinking that it would get me losing weight again and that obviously does more harm than good.

So yeah I'm kinda annoyed at this plataeu, or whatever it is. I've been doing hiit on the treadmill for the past week and changing up my lifting but I'm not sure how much of a difference that is making.

I was around 235lbs earlier this year and I got down to just under 200lbs lifting 3 times a week and eating good->healthy meals a few times a day at a calorie deficit, and really really tracking what I was eating in terms of calories (didn't pay much attention to macros but made sure protein intake was good).

I think I'm just gonna go back to the basics and drop the IF, go back on my old diet (readjust calories ofc) and hopefully changes come. My only concern is that I may have fudged up my metabolism from eating low calories, or fasting for long periods

Sorry for the longness -_-
    Last edited by Nitey; 12-29-2012 at 03:14.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Getting quite frustrated with results over the past couple months

I've let my diet go down the drain as I was getting away with eating whatever I wanted but still making sure I was limiting calories for weightloss. I combined it with IF and was seeing decent enough results so I continued to just do that. But now I've hit a wall for almost 2 months and I can't seem to steadily continue my weightloss, one week it seems like I'm back in the groove of losing but then it just stalls and even creeps up a bit. I don't want to decrease my calories any lower as Im already at around 1600~ and that within just a small eating window. I'm 5'10 and 180lbs, I have a lot of bodyfat.

I must admit that some days I would go even lower than 1600 out of frustration in thinking that it would get me losing weight again and that obviously does more harm than good.

So yeah I'm kinda annoyed at this plataeu, or whatever it is. I've been doing hiit on the treadmill for the past week and changing up my lifting but I'm not sure how much of a difference that is making.

I was around 235lbs earlier this year and I got down to just under 200lbs lifting 3 times a week and eating good->healthy meals a few times a day at a calorie deficit, and really really tracking what I was eating in terms of calories (didn't pay much attention to macros but made sure protein intake was good).

I think I'm just gonna go back to the basics and drop the IF, go back on my old diet (readjust calories ofc) and hopefully changes come. My only concern is that I may have fudged up my metabolism from eating low calories, or fasting for long periods

Sorry for the longness -_-
    As you are well aware, you can't let your diet go "down the drain" and expect good results. I don't need to tell you that so I'll just throw that out the door. I would like to clarify, however, that a calorie isn't a calorie. Usually yes… if you eat less calories than you are burning… you will lose weight. But that isn't the only factor that contributes to weight loss… there are a myriad of biological processes and how your individual body reacts to macronutrients and macronutrient timing that can have a negative effect on weight loss regardless of calories consumed. I'm not going to type out an essay on the matter because you'd be better off seeing a dietician or nutritionist to cater to your individual needs.

That aside, I do concerns.

First of all, it's important to keep things as simple as humanly possible. This makes it easier to stick to your goals and also not overwhelm you… and making your goal of weight loss more desirable than a chore. You seems to have already made the choice to drop Intermittent Fasting… and that would be my suggestion as well.

You've dropped considerable weight since you've started, so you need to really pat yourself on the back for that and stop beating yourself up when you hit a plateau. Plateaus happen and they happen for a reason. What you're doing right now… trying out different diets and adjusting them based on how your body reacts is good practice. Just be patient.

I do have a few questions, however.

I know you are not particularly paying attention to macros, but I think you should start. They can tell you a lot about your diet. What does your current diet consist of?

What kind of lifting are you doing? What are the exercises? The sets? The reps? The frequency of your workouts? What is your ultimate goal?

You didn't mess up your metabolism, I guarantee you that. Your metabolism is far better than it was when you were 235 pounds.

Keep your head up… you've made great progress. Plateaus happen. Don't give up on your goals.

Administrator
    can you elaborate?
    No... because it's not a matter of generalization... everyone reacts to things differently. Things must be tweaked on an individual basis. A person with low glucose tolerance would react to carbohydrates differently than someone with high glucose tolerance, for instance. There's a variety of daily and nightly hormonal responses, insulin sensitivity, etc. that can have an affect on weight gain or loss. All that BS aside, it is generally safe to follow the "eat less than you are burning" rule because that kind of tweaking can really only be done with a dietician or nutritionist guiding that person the entire way. Women can have quite a few issues with weight loss due to the warfare that goes on inside their bodies hormonally every month. Certain types of birth control can prevent weight loss dramatically.

However, I've learned that 99% of the time... when someone is telling me that counting calories is not working... they're either starving themselves... or they're lying to my face in regards to actually being committed to staying within their specified calorie range.

It's really difficult to assess what could be wrong when someone is not adhering to their diet or training.

I personally find fat loss to be the simplest thing on the planet. I sincerely believe if I put my brain in anyone else's body who is having issues with fat loss... I could make them in the best shape of their lives. I think a lot of people are lying to themselves or lack the dedication required to achieve their desired goals.

Be more active... eat enough calories to meet your body's needs... but not more than you are burning... and keep doing that until you reach your goals. Strength training is also severely underutilized as well. I don't get people's fear of touching weights. Strength training does more for fat loss and metabolism than any other exercise ever will. Not to mention that it forces calcium into your bones and makes them 40% more dense than without strength training... and strong bones are important at any age... especially as we get older.

I don't even know what I'm rambling about anymore.

The body you want is not made overnight. It requires commitment and dedication. Crazy concept... I know.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-29-2012 at 09:18.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    lmao strong rant

but yea i get what you mean

i've gotten so many messages on facebook and bb.com where beginners go 'hey bro i'm skinny ectomorph and can't gain weight no matter how much i eat, i wanna get big bro thx!!!11'

at first i would actually spend hours chatting with them but then i realised that only 1% of people i help will actually follow and execute the advice. nowadays i just link them to kai greene and greg plitt videos lol

The problem with following bodybuilders, while great for picking up new workout ideas, is they are on steroids which skews what results a non-steroid user and a steroid user can expect.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    The problem with following bodybuilders, while great for picking up new workout ideas, is they are on steroids which skews what results a non-steroid user and a steroid user can expect.
    What you said has nothing to do with anything he said. And not all bodybuilders are on steroids... and if anyone on steroids gives a natural lifter a routine designed for someone juicing, they're a dumb ass.
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-29-2012 at 17:33.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Thanks for the replies guys

I agree with keeping things as simple as possible PBM that's why IF felt like a great tool as I would just eat (usually whatever was cooked in our home), making sure I wasn't eating at a surplus of calories and it was working fine. But thinking back, what I was doing that got me down to 200 was not exactly complicated, it was fairly simple too

To answer your questions,. I'd have my first and only big meal post workout, I would just eat whatever was made for dinner that day, whether it's chicken stew, lamb chops, lentil soup etc - and I would supplement it with white rice or pitta bread. I would guesstimate that meal to be around 900-1000 calories. Pretty big portion of food. Then a couple hours later I would have a bowl of weetabix, and then a bowl of fruit - couple of bananas usually. That would take me to about 1600 for the day. I wouldn't say any of carbs, fats or proteins are lacking in my diet - carb intake might be a little on the high side

I hate to be so lax explaining my current eating habits but it really is how Ive been doing things..possibly why I've been seeing no results, despite the IF..

I do a 3 day split at the gym lifting heavy weights in a low rep range. I've only recently got back into lifting for just over a month now, I stuck to cardio for a while because my shoulder was out. Since I lost some weight during that time whilst did only cardio I lost considerable strength too so these past few weeks have been me getting back in the swing of it

Mondays I do back and biceps, I rep to 8
    3x V-bar cable pulldowns
    3x Seated row machine
    3x Machine that emulates pullups - unsure of the name
    3x Cable curls

Wednesdays I do legs, rep around 5
    5x Squats
    5x Leg Press
    5x Weighted calf raises

Fridays I do chest, triceps, shoulders rep to 8
    3x Flat DB benchpress
    3x Cable chest press
    3x Cable chest fly
    3x Cable pushdowns
    Cable face pulls
    Cable shoulder raises

That's pretty much my normal workout, I continue to do cardio after the lifts as it feels weird not to at this point - atm it's treadmill hiit 15-20mins. 1 min sprints with 2 min rest. I change a few things here and there like close grip BB bench on Fridays, and shoulder DB press. My shoulders are really weak in comparison to my other bodyparts, it affects my bench but I manage

My ultimate goal is to simply have a fit and healthy body. I'd been fat for a lot of my adult life and getting down to 180 is definitely something I'm really proud of, I'm not sure the last time I was at this weight tbh . I don't think I'll be happy with my weight until it's down to below 160, so 20 more lbs. I have no clue about my bodyfat but it's got to be quite high, probably between 20-25%? I still look quite big despite losing 50lbs, I have a large bone structure

Upon reaching this goal I will continue to lift, of course. I'm not sure I intend to bulk - I'm actually really weak in comparison to how big my body/structure appears to be >:/

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    What you said has nothing to do with anything he said. And not all bodybuilders are on steroids... and if anyone on steroids gives a natural lifter a routine designed for someone juicing, they're a dumb ass.

at first i would actually spend hours chatting with them but then i realised that only 1% of people i help will actually follow and execute the advice. nowadays i just link them to kai greene and greg plitt videos lol
    He said he just links people to Kai Greene, who is a body builder. No offense but I don't see how that was confusing?

I was simply pointing out the danger of sending people to disillusionment by just doing what bodybuilders do as they are on steroids. Yes, technically natural bodybuilders are not supposed to be, but lets be serious we all know the greats took steroids, and some admitted it. I don't care if someone takes steroids or not, but following what they do without question is going to lead into hitting a wall, and wondering why suddenly you don't look like them or are getting bigger.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    He said he just links people to Kai Greene, who is a body builder. No offense but I don't see how that was confusing?

I was simply pointing out the danger of sending people to disillusionment by just doing what bodybuilders do as they are on steroids. Yes, technically natural bodybuilders are not supposed to be, but lets be serious we all know the greats took steroids, and some admitted it. I don't care if someone takes steroids or not, but following what they do without question is going to lead into hitting a wall, and wondering why suddenly you don't look like them or are getting bigger.
    I think he was being a little facetious in regards to the context of his post.

@ Nitey: I'll get back to you later today.

10. Likes Nitey likes this post
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    obviously somebody never watched one of their videos. they're actually two of the best people you can watch on youtube before elliot hulse (strengthcamp) imo whether you're natural or not. these are the types of videos i'd link people to.

but i get where you're coming from. those magazines where they say do 50 sets for each muscle group twice a day and then a picture of ronnie coleman on the side saying that you'll look him if you do so.

stuff like that aren't in the fitness magazines anymore, or at least the famous ones like mens fitness and mens health. i actually buy those from time to time. they're aren't as bad as most people say it is. probably becaus the ones that say it is are used to reading the fitness magazines from the 10-20 years ago.

most bodybuilders don't even do half the stuff that you see on youtube. like you'd see ronnie coleman squatting and deadlifting 800lbs . that $#@! is just for the camera. the pros routines are not much different than you'd see kids doing on the internet. the difference is that they have the genetics, commitment, time and like you said steroids to get to a lean 250lbs or even 300lbs.
    I watched a lot of Kai Greene videos. He is really inspirational. But I learned early to take everything I read and see with a grain of salt as there are so many contradictions around the internet its a death trap for those just starting and are clueless.

Anyways, my bad for derailing this. On to something more positive. I'm on vacation for the next while so I'll be upping my game at the gym, putting in the required time to do the cardio I've been slacking on for so long. Although it sucks the treadmills at my gym have no incline...really, really, weird.

The Heisman
    New deadlift PR: 445#
    up 30# from 5 weeks ago: thanks Wendler Cycle!

Hoping for a new PR in back squat tomorrow: 375#???

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Power Member
    I just started getting into deadlifts and squats about 4 months ago and only started seriously doing them the past 2.5-3 months.. For the longest time since I've been weight lifting (14 or so) we avoided them due to my father's massive herniation, but my close friends who also lift finally convinced me to give it a shot.

So far I'm up to 330lbs for deadlifts, with squats closing in on 300lbs. Embarrassingly low given I'm kind of a big guy. Lots of people just assume you do those lifts, so I felt kind of awkward doing such light weights the past few months since I'm a regular.

The Heisman
    take your time.

and 300# is never light

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

The Heisman
    new back squat PR: 375#

but wow is my lower back tight/sore from deadlifts yesterday.
    I usually don't get sore from 1 rep max... I guess my form must have disintegrated as I got heavier...
    that or the weight was just heavy.

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Power Member
    I agree. I already use belt for shrugs, and it is definitely a huge help.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    well i had a bit of a health scare around xmas time and it was awful

i was passing blood in my stool and coughing up blood too

so i went to the hospital and got a camera down as you well know and yet that came up clear... So i went to my doc to a second opinion and it turned out he still does not know the actual problem... So i am kind of freaked out a bit

i have another appointment with getting another camera not down my throat, but up my bum... They will check to see if i have a rip somewhere and if i need to get it fixed some how

so i am at the stage now that i think it might have been a unexpected thing that actually happened out of no where and it was caused by the most simplest thing

So from this point on i will update on my condition and see where i go from here... And hopefully the results from the second camera is clear and it's all healed...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    well i had a bit of a health scare around xmas time and it was awful

i was passing blood in my stool and coughing up blood too

so i went to the hospital and got a camera down as you well know and yet that came up clear... So i went to my doc to a second opinion and it turned out he still does not know the actual problem... So i am kind of freaked out a bit

i have another appointment with getting another camera not down my throat, but up my bum... They will check to see if i have a rip somewhere and if i need to get it fixed some how

so i am at the stage now that i think it might have been a unexpected thing that actually happened out of no where and it was caused by the most simplest thing

So from this point on i will update on my condition and see where i go from here... And hopefully the results from the second camera is clear and it's all healed...
    Get well soon. And i hope it's nothing major to your health.

Now i got back to practice and it's been like a week since i started again, I can safely assume i got 30% of my stamina back, 2500 rope jumps, mixed with lots of doubles + stretching and some light push ups. My usual workout used to be like this

-4000 Rope jumps
    -10KM run
    -100 Push ups
    -125 Squats
    -150 sit-ups
    -1 hour breakdancing, Yoga & conditioning.

That was the daily routine 4 months ago. I think in 10 more days i could get back to what i used to do and maybe even a bit more than that.

And that is actually one of my new year resolutions.

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    I've had a month long break from the gym because I focused on cardiovascular exercises to prepare myself for the physical tests I'm about to take in a few weeks. My goal is to get into to the paratroopers next summer, but it's hard as $#@! to get in. Anyways I've been doing great and I used to be horrible at swimming; I used to swim 200m in like 5 minutes, now I can get it in 4 minutes which is excellent. It's not amazing but considering I used to swim like a retarded sloth I think that's damn good : D I'm starting an upper/lower split again to maintain my strength and I'll get back to my normal routine once the tests are over. Still gotta focus on the 5km weighted running test and the 10km skiing test. I'm confident I'll pass 'em but considering they're ALL within a few hours I'm gonna be on the brink of passing out
    Last edited by spyrde; 01-04-2013 at 16:15.

Learn to do signatures here

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    My new workout plan. Now I will be working each muscle group 2 times in a weekly period.

Week 1
    Mon Push
    Tue Pull
    Wed Rest
    Thu Legs
    Fri Rest
    Sat Push
    Sun Pull

Week 2
    Mon Rest
    Tue Legs
    Wed Rest
    Thu Push
    Fri Pull
    Sat Rest
    Sun Legs

Push Workout
    Chest press 3x8-12
    Incline chest press 3x8-12
    Shoulder press 3x8-12
    Dip 2x20
    Chest fly 3x8-12

Pull Workout
    Wide pull ups (sorry sight lol) to failure
    Rows 3x8-12
    Upright row 3x8-12
    Bicep curls 3x8-12
    Side/front delt raise

Legs
    Squats 5x8-12
    Calf raise 3x8-12
    Back hyper extension 3x8-12

The gear I use is the Bowlex adjustable weights (2.5lbs-52.5lbs - 16 different weight settings) and the bowflex bench -10, 0, 45 & 90 degrees. I'm not doing any cardio at the moment.

Diet...

Each day I try to have the following:

Piece of chicken breast + half cup brown rice + cup of mixed veges
    300ml skim milk + banana + protein powder
    Cottage cheese (150g) + tuna in tomato paste (185g)

I just want to have nice muscle tone and be ripped. I am 5-10 and 80kg and still have unwanted body fat. I try to drink 2 liters water a day but recently have been failing like a madman on this but will get back into the groove.

PBM, what more do you need to know to help me reach mah goals!?

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Do you only have those dumbbells for your workouts? No barbells? I suggest you get one as those weights are gonna become real light for ya soon, and moves like squats are most effective with a barbell.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    i need to get back to getting into shape again, i am currently on a cerail and soup diet
    this
    is meant to ease the pressure on the tire that is happening and it's crazy that i am drinking when i should not and sticking to this diet and i need to be on this for a few months

and after that and everything else, getting into shape is my next gold

and thanks for the get well post
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Do you only have those dumbbells for your workouts? No barbells? I suggest you get one as those weights are gonna become real light for ya soon, and moves like squats are most effective with a barbell.
    Yeah it's all I have...flatting also makes space an issue. Also, as the adjustable weights don't have traditional iron plates, I would have to buy a bar, the weights and a rack. I'm thinking of looking at plyometrics to augment my leg work and give them that explosive power. I know my set up isn't ideal but it's all I have for now.

I think what I have is enough for the goals I have though...Just...

Master Guru
    Well sure you'll make progress with that, but at some point it won't be enough as ~20kg on both sides really don't give you that much of a challenge after a few months. If you want to look toned and ripped, then the fastest way is training just like any hardcore lifter; heavy weights and lots of compound movements. Your set-up is good for isolation moves and targeting smaller areas, but if you want the best results then you gotta go heavy.

But anyways like I said, your set-up is good for now and you can train for a while and see for yourself how it all works out. Just trying to give a tip or two.

Have you checked out any local gyms?

The Heisman
    again- if you're trying to get back in shape... I fully endorse finding a crossfit gym.

workouts are fun/fast/effective
    the community is positive and supportive (in my experience)
    you can tap your competitive spirit
    and you certainly won't get bored with the routine... everyday, every workout is different.

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    Well sure you'll make progress with that, but at some point it won't be enough as ~20kg on both sides really don't give you that much of a challenge after a few months. If you want to look toned and ripped, then the fastest way is training just like any hardcore lifter; heavy weights and lots of compound movements. Your set-up is good for isolation moves and targeting smaller areas, but if you want the best results then you gotta go heavy.

But anyways like I said, your set-up is good for now and you can train for a while and see for yourself how it all works out. Just trying to give a tip or two.

Have you checked out any local gyms?
    I've considered joining a gym but the thing is, I can see the kind of body I want starting to take form with the weights I have so I think I will be able to achieve what I want with what I have and I'm far from maxing those weights on a fair few exercises (will be a LONGGG time till I do side delt raises with 50lbs lol. I don't know...I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until they are too easy then I'll look for a gym if I feel I need it to reach my goals.

Thread Information