Latest PSU headlines:

Page 52 of 74 FirstFirst ... 425262 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1830
    Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I've considered joining a gym but the thing is, I can see the kind of body I want starting to take form with the weights I have so I think I will be able to achieve what I want with what I have and I'm far from maxing those weights on a fair few exercises (will be a LONGGG time till I do side delt raises with 50lbs lol. I don't know...I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until they are too easy then I'll look for a gym if I feel I need it to reach my goals.
    Well sure you won't max out on moves like side raises for a while, but moves like bench press will really soon become more of an endurance test than a muscle builder.

Do you have a picture of something along the lines of your desired body? I don't want to demotivate you or anything, but sometimes people tend to underestimate the amount of work necessary to achieve their goals.

Learn to do signatures here

Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    bump

anybody make any progress?
    Meh, I got sick on the day of my paratrooper tests so all the training I did for the past six months went to waste. You can't imagine how disappointed I am.... I still tried my best though, and I managed through all the muscle endurance and coordination tests by puking in between the tests. Couldn't manage the weighted running tests anymore and had to quit before the swimming, diving, jumping and skiing tests.

Well I got one experience to add to my collection. That feel when you've been puking the whole night without one minute of sleep, and the paratroopers wake us all up to go running at 5 in the morning....
    Last edited by spyrde; 01-23-2013 at 19:42.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    wow i'd be pretty pissed :/

do you think you would've done well if you weren't sick?
    Way better, but honestly they only pick the cherries on the top so I should've excelled in each test, including the psychology tests and the interviews. About 40 get in from the 300 that made it to the tests. Half fail the physical tests.

But anyways, I'm still going to the army next summer and I'll probably take some leading courses aswell to compensate for this. Whatevs, here's a pretty mad lifting video:

Last edited by spyrde; 01-24-2013 at 13:06.

Superior Member
    I have a question for you guys:

I began working out last year and so far I've lost 8kg, currently sitting at 96. I'm losing an average of 1kg a month which is not bad. I usually go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week spending around 1 hr each session doing mostly cardio and some weight training too.

Well, the question is: would it make sense for me to take protein shake? I tried to research but what I found seems to be contradicting. Some say you get enough protein in your diet, others that the extra protein would be beneficial. And if I should take it, how much should I have?

Looking forward to hearing the answers from the gurus.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Health & Exercise Thread! 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tibiquera View Post

I began working out last year and so far I've lost 8kg, currently sitting at 96. I'm losing an average of 1kg a month which is not bad. I usually go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week spending around 1 hr each session doing mostly cardio and some weight training too.

Well, the question is: would it make sense for me to take protein shake? I tried to research but what I found seems to be contradicting. Some say you get enough protein in your diet, others that the extra protein would be beneficial. And if I should take it, how much should I have?

Your goal is weight loss, yes? The point of weight loss is to consume less calories than you are burning. As long as adding this protein shake doesn't make you go over your calories, I don't see a problem with it. It's important to note that the thermogenic process of digesting protein burns more calories than digesting either carbohydrates or fat. So.. eating more protein in essence would help you burn more calories, so yes a protein shake could be a great idea. Just watch your calories. You can't exercise off a bad diet, but it seems like you've had that under control to this point.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

It all depends on what your goals are. Taking protein before and after your workouts can be beneficial, but I would suggest you try to get at least 20 to 25 grams after your workout because that's most likely the time it will benefit you the most. It is true that some people do get enough in their diets but a protein shake here and there won't hurt.

The Heisman
    I just got body fat tested in one of those hyrdo tanks... pretty neat. 14% !!!

don't quote me but the test supervisor told me that I should have "a gram of protein for every lb of lean mass"

which puts me around 160g or protein daily...

we get re-tested in a couple weeks (we're in the middle of a 5 week nutrition challenge- paleo + sugar detox) I'll get clarification but I'm pretty sure thats what she said for "active people"

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post

don't quote me but the test supervisor told me that I should have "a gram of protein for every lb of lean mass"

we get re-tested in a couple weeks (we're in the middle of a 5 week nutrition challenge- paleo + sugar detox) I'll get clarification but I'm pretty sure thats what she said for "active people"
    Sounds like you are below average which is actually pretty good. The tanks are pretty accurate too.

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Sounds like you are below average which is actually pretty good. The tanks are pretty accurate too.
    I'm down another 5-7# since starting the sugar detox. Hopefully I'll be around 12% in a couple weeks.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Administrator

You are in the "physically fit" range of body fat percentage, but you probably already figured that out.

The hydro test is pretty fun. And yes, the general rule for weightlifters with a goal of adding muscle mass is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Also good luck with your goals.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

x6Teen2
    It all depends on what your goals are. Taking protein before and after your workouts can be beneficial, but I would suggest you try to get at least 20 to 25 grams after your workout because that's most likely the time it will benefit you the most. It is true that some people do get enough in their diets but a protein shake here and there won't hurt.
    elaborate?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen2 View Post
    elaborate?
    I swear we share the same brain sometimes. You always say what I'm thinking, lol.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I swear we share the same brain sometimes. You always say what I'm thinking, lol.
    The dude has 5 posts on the forum, how do you even know who he is

Forum Sage
    elaborate?
    20 to 25 should be enough for him. Of course he can always have more too. I based that on his activity level and I clearly stated it depends on what his goals are. You guys need to get out of that "pro bodybuilder" mentality. I didn't tell him anything that's gonna hurt his goals.

The Heisman
    yeah- I've been told 20-25g of protein "immediately" following your workout is the best way to help your body repair/rebuild the damage that you've done.

...obviously- thats not the only protein you should have all day- see previous post by myself and PBM...

By Theft
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    yeah- I've been told 20-25g of protein "immediately" following your workout is the best way to help your body repair/rebuild the damage that you've done.
    Just drink it when you have time man, as long as you get your nutrition in check during the day. The only difference, for me at least, is how energetic I feel if I don't get something down after a workout.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I dont drink any protein mix shakes, I just eat healthy and well and workout. I mean the shakes which gets solved with powder.

Forum Sage

...obviously- thats not the only protein you should have all day- see previous post by myself and PBM...
    Exactly. It definitely won't hurt or set you back . Based on what he described his routine is he should benefit from that. His body will most likely use every gram.

I dont drink any protein mix shakes, I just eat healthy and well and workout. I mean the shakes which gets solved with powder.
    Nothing wrong with that. If it works for you, then by all means, continue to do it. I do know people who don't believe in taking powder protein supplements and it works for them.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-31-2013 at 16:46.

Superior Member
    Thanks guys for the tips. And I forgot to mention but as people have been able to figure out my goal is to lose weight and have better health overall. Anyways, I heard before that protein shake after workout helps recover the damaged muscles. I also heard that if you have it before you'd have more energy. Is that true?

And if I do decide to start having protein shakes, is that something that I should have only before and after workout, or is it something I should have throughout the day? I heard people like to use it for weight loss, but sometimes I feel afraid to try something that will do more harm than good, if you know what I mean.

Also I keep hearing that I should eat something before working out, but I notice in my case that if I have a snack before I feel a bit heavy during workout. Any thoughts on that?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    i got the all clear for the bleeding i had... It turned out to be a small cut within my stomach that was healed by the camera and tablets

So excellent news for me...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    Thanks guys for the tips. And I forgot to mention but as people have been able to figure out my goal is to lose weight and have better health overall. Anyways, I heard before that protein shake after workout helps recover the damaged muscles. I also heard that if you have it before you'd have more energy. Is that true?
    Taking protein before a workout can be very beneficial to your weight loss just as taking it after. It can stimulate amino acid uptake and is a muscle building aid.

And if I do decide to start having protein shakes, is that something that I should have only before and after workout, or is it something I should have throughout the day? I heard people like to use it for weight loss, but sometimes I feel afraid to try something that will do more harm than good, if you know what I mean.
    It's ok to take them during the day. You can even have them to replace a meal too. They will help you to control your calories and fat intake which will help you manage your weight.

Also I keep hearing that I should eat something before working out, but I notice in my case that if I have a snack before I feel a bit heavy during workout. Any thoughts on that?
    I would recommend you eat before a workout . Preferably something healthy and it will give you the added energy you need and you are less likely to overeat after that. Try a protein shake or a whole wheat bagel or something like peanut butter is always good.

So to sum it all up. Protein shakes are beneficial regardless if you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle. So go ahead and dive in. It won't hurt you.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-31-2013 at 18:49.

22. Likes Tibiquera likes this post
    x6Teen2
    20 to 25 should be enough for him. Of course he can always have more too. I based that on his activity level and I clearly stated it depends on what his goals are. You guys need to get out of that "pro bodybuilder" mentality. I didn't tell him anything that's gonna hurt his goals.
    i wasn't talking about that lol

after your workout because that's most likely the time it will benefit you the most.
    thats what i dont get cos even though you're not hurting his goals, you're spreading misinformation which is what i really hate tbh

and what pro bb mentality? lol

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrde View Post
    The dude has 5 posts on the forum, how do you even know who he is
    Magic! (also I'm kidding...)
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2013 at 06:53.

Forum Sage
    i wasn't talking about that lol

thats what i dont get cos even though you're not hurting his goals, you're spreading misinformation which is what i really hate tbh

and what pro bb mentality? lol
    Nope...I don't think so. It's not misinformation. I have never steered anyone in the wrong direction when it comes to fitness goals. He doesn't have to take my advice but taking protein after a workout will definitely offer some benefits

Administrator
    I'm fairly certain there's a rule against you know... jacking someone else's username.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    There's never a time when supplements are a prerequisite. Just eating well is good enough to achieve the body you want. Supplements are just that... they supplement your existing diet. They're a convenience. Sometimes they can give an edge, but people really seem to neglect the basics... which is... eat well and you can achieve a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    i got the all clear for the bleeding i had... It turned out to be a small cut within my stomach that was healed by the camera and tablets

So excellent news for me...
    That's good to hear, man.

@ spyrde ~ yeah... the "anabolic window". Reminds me of "don't eat after 7 or you'll get fat".

Nope...I don't think so. It's not misinformation. I have never steered anyone in the wrong direction when it comes to fitness goals. He doesn't have to take my advice but taking protein after a workout will definitely offer some benefits
    And what "benefits" would those be?
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2013 at 07:02.

Thread Information