Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post

And what "benefits" would those be?
    You become a superhero silly. Everyone knows that...lol

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    That's about the response I was expecting from you.
    "Courage is the key to life.

Elite Sage
    That's about the response I was expecting from you.
    I don't owe you or anyone else any explanations. Who are you, the fitness/supplement police?...lol I know what i'm talking about and I don't need to debate anyone about it. He asked for advice and i gave it. He doesn't have to take my advice and is free to double check what i said if he wants, but I think he knows his body better than anyone else.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 02-01-2013 at 17:33.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    You're not helping anyone with your "advice"... if you can call it that. If someone asks you why and you can't answer why... then you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2013 at 18:37.

Elite Sage
    You're not helping anyone with your "advice"... if you can call it that. If someone asks you why and you can't answer why... then you don't know what you're talking about.
    That's your opinion. I know why and don't need to prove anything to you. You don't have to like it, but if he asks, i'm still gonna give him the advice I think that will help. He doesn't have to take my advice. He is free to make his own choice and he seems ok with it. I really don't care if you do or not. I'm not seeking, nor need your approval.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    It isn't an opinion. Opinions and empirical evidence are utter trash when it comes to the human body and all its millions of biological processes. Fitness is an ever-evolving field of science and if you can't back up anything you say with... well... anything... then please go away. I'm not asking you to explain why for me, I'm asking you to explain why to the people you're giving advice to... because they're the ones that will benefit from this great knowledge you have to bestow upon them to enlighten them. If you give someone advice and they ask why, are you just going to say "I don't know" or "yes I do know, but I'm too smug and awesome to tell you"? There is a lot of information out there that is accepted as fact just because it's been spout by so many people for so long when in reality it has no scientific basis whatsoever... and it goes around the internet and magazines and TV like an apocalyptic demon serving only to make people dumber on the matter. If you genuinely want to help people, then be able to explain yourself when asked "why". A lot of people blindly follow advice and when it doesn't work for them they get confused or pissed off. Everyone is different and not everybody will react the same way physiologically to the same advice. Advice needs to be tweaked and modified to each individual person's goals.

Forum Elder
    Ive read countless articles that say it had no effect

Ive read countless articles saying get it within an hour or your mbr will slow and other things.

Im 168 and lean, I always eat around 200 grams a day on protein.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    There's no way in hell your basal metabolic rate will slow down after strength training. Your BMR is raised for hours after a bout of strength training and whether you get protein or not after a workout is irrelevant to that effect. Protein synthesis is "heightened" an hour or so after exercise, but protein synthesis doesn't just take a break after that "anabolic window" has passed. Your body will continue to utilize protein, carbohyrdates, and fat as it needs it. The one thing you do NOT want to do is train too long in the gym... which is why it's advocated that you try not to spend more than an hour in the gym if your goal is muscle gain. If you spend 3 hours in the gym and over-train, your testosterone levels will drop and your cortisol levels will rise. Cortisol is a catabolic hormone that will cannibalize your muscle tissue in lieu of maintaining your energy levels for excessive periods of time. Cortisol itself will be in your bloodstream regardless as it's a crucial ingredient in exercise energy levels, but too much is to be avoided at all cost. That is more important than when you drink your protein shake after a workout.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Ive read countless articles that say it had no effect

Ive read countless articles saying get it within an hour or your mbr will slow and other things.

Im 168 and lean, I always eat around 200 grams a day on protein.

That's a hell of a lot of protein for a person your size. But if it works for you then so be it. I'm 6ft 3 and about 245 and I try to get around the same and maybe a little bit more sometimes. There are conflicting articles out there about protein though. Just do what works best for you and you should be ok.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That's a hell of a lot of protein for a person your size. But if it works for you then so be it. I'm 6ft 3 and about 245 and I try to get around the same and maybe a little bit more sometimes. There are conflicting articles out there about protein though. Just do what works best for you and you should be ok.
    -_____-

That isn't a "hell of a lot of" protein for someone his size. Protein is simply a macronutrient. There isn't "too much" of anything (unless we're talking about saturated fat or trans fat), unless you are not drinking enough water for your body to distribute it properly throughout your bloodstream and organs, and more water will also alleviate stress from your kidneys.

When you're talking about 200 grams of protein, you're not thinking about the big picture. You're isolating protein and disregarding calorie intake entirely.

Let's say someone is 200 pounds. Let's say his goal is to put on 20 pounds and he wants to gain 1 pound a week. Let's say in order to do that, this person needs to eat 7,000 calories a day. There are 4 calories per gram of protein. If he consumes 200 grams of protein, he would be consuming 800 calories.

7,000 calories - 800 calories = 6,200 calories left.

That leaves 6,200 calories for either carbohydrates or fat if 200 grams of protein is all he wants to consume.

Carbohydrates = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

If he wanted to split the rest of the calories by half into carbs or fat... that would leave 3,100 calories for fat and carbs.

3,100 / 9 = roughly 345 grams of fat
    3,100 / 4 = 775 grams of carbs

When you see the big picture here... you realize 200 grams of protein is not $#@!. Someone who eats that much may even want to increase their protein or carb intake so that they're not consuming so much fat. Regardless of what you think is too much is subjective because what an individual person's macronutrient needs are will vary. Someone may need only 3,000 calories a day to put on muscle. Others may need 10,000. In the end... protein is just calories... and as long as you are consuming enough water, your body will be fine. If muscle mass is your goal, at least 1 gallon of water a day would suffice. More water in general is ideal as most people are dehydrated and don't realize it. More water also helps push bulk through your intestines... and if you're consuming a lot of fiber, it is crucial that you get enough water.
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2013 at 19:38.

Elite Sage
    Iv'e been hitting the gym pretty hard lately and have made some pretty good gains this past year. Been doing a little more power lifting and it's paying off. Loving the strength gains.

Forum Elder
    Yeah dude, I enjoy it as well. Love the physique, confidence, and strength that comes with training.

Not to mention mowing your yard in summertime w no shirt and seeing the ladies break their necks to look, lol.

Its my hobby. I was so small and weak before I started about 6 years ago. I started out benching 70 lbs. And squating 135. I just enjoy everything about it. Except for my knees.

Ive just been in maintenence for a while now. For me I hope its a for life thing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Yeah dude, I enjoy it as well. Love the physique, confidence, and strength that comes with training.

Not to mention mowing your yard in summertime w no shirt and seeing the ladies break their necks to look, lol.

Its my hobby. I was so small and weak before I started about 6 years ago. I started out benching 70 lbs. And squating 135. I just enjoy everything about it. Except for my knees.

Ive just been in maintenence for a while now. For me I hope its a for life thing.

I'm no stranger to knee issues, bro. I had half my knee replaced when I shattered it in football. Just take care of it and it will take care of you. I've been doing really well... just keeping absolute proper form and squats seem about the best thing for my knee.

I hear you about the shirtless lawn mowing... I had a girl walk into a stop sign when she was looking at me. =\ lol

Elite Sage

Congrats on the progress. I enjoy training as well. It has helped me throughout my life too. I started out the same and have put on a lot of muscle through training over the years. I'm very proud of the physic I have built. It is hard work but well worth it.

The Heisman
    rest day... got Fran coming up satruday morning. youtube "her"

she's kinda the most famous crossfit workout.

Last year as a noob I did it 8:38... I am homing for 4 min or less this year.

I'm nervous/anxious to workout

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Unbound Mercenary
    I never come in here, but I was wondering if you fitness experts had any advice on how to tighten up the butt, and thigh region?
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I never come in here, but I was wondering if you fitness experts had any advice on how to tighten up the butt, and thigh region?
    Squats and more Squats! I'm no expert by any means.

Now, it's been a month since i started practicing again, i certainly feel a lot better and my stamina is better than it was, but, still not there yet. I can't run now at all, because my Achilles tendon is hurting me again and the slightest twist could mean a day of pain! I'm doing physical therapy on it now for at least 2 months!! After that i'll get back on track.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Squats, Sumo Deadlifts, one-legged dumbbell Deadlifts, lunges, kettlebell work, etc.

If you want a plethora of information on the rear region, Bret Conteras is a guru on that subject: http://bretcontreras.com/

Edit: Mostly though... squats... nothing can compare to squats for giving you a nice ass and thighs. Just saying...
    Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2013 at 21:18.

Elite Sage
    Squats, lunges, step ups, cycling.

Unbound Mercenary
    Thanks for the info guys. Gonna start doing squats and hope it works.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    If you have never done squats before, I wouldn't jump right into them. They're a very technical lift and proper form is crucial. I wouldn't really put any weight on the bar until you have the form spot on. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Squat

If you need a technical breakdown of the squat, let me know and I can send you something to help via PM.

Elite Sage
    Just remember not to go too heavy and concentrate on form. Get the right technique down and it will definitely help with your goals.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Parrot?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I never do anything with weights. Never. Repetition and proper form are crucial.

ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I never do anything with weights. Never. Repetition and proper form are crucial.
    Why don't you ever do anything with weights? 0_o

Thread Information