Page 65 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5565 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1846
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Me too man.

Although I've gone a long way in achieveing my first real goal in fitness (lose a ton of weight, second goal would be to add muscle mass ), I sure have been slipping over the past week or so. I tend to do this every other month. grr

It's mostly to do with food lol. Sadly I have been unable to convert members of my family to be vigilant in what they eat and how much they eat which means there is always a healthy amount of crappy foods in the house . Feels kinda lonely making my own stuff to eat and ignoring all the sugary and fatty delights in every corner of our kitchen all the time. So in a sense, for the past week or so I've let myself 'go' . Lol

$#@! it though, I'm back to me starting today. I do wish I could have inspired my fam a little bit though considering I've lost 70+lbs. My parents especially, both of whom are overweight and diabetic
    The good news is that I'm still improving physically. Not nearly as fast as I would have hoped (my eating habits are to blame for this slow progression), but still moving forward. I've been working my core a lot and while there is still a little bit of a belly for me to complain about, I can tell that my abdominal region has become much harder and less squishy.

I'm weary to say I'm feeling extra motivated, granted everyone says that, but I'm very excited to try some new exercises I came across earlier tomorrow. On the dietary end, it's just those late-night cravings and the fact that I work at Panera Bread Company ... means I'm consuming much more bread / gluten than I need to be. Time for some better self-control.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Ive been going to gym for about 5 months now which is 5 times a week, and started doing a lot of cardio since about 2 months ago. At the start I was 97kgs and 24%BP. Now 5 months on and im 83kgs and 16%BF. The last 3 weeks ive been going to gym twice a day to do 1 hour cardio session as soon as I wake up before breakfast then another 1-1.5 hour weights session later on in the day. Ive been dieting pretty good the last couple months with 5 meals a day which is always chicken/fish/turqey with broccoli for 4 meals. Shake for breakfast. My goal is to get to about 10-12%BF for now.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    In my efforts to better motivate myself to improve and maintain a healthy diet, I've taken some advice that I've heard several times and that I think is brilliant. I talked to several of my friends that I see and eat with regularly, and made them a deal ... every time they see me eat something unhealthy, I'm obligated to give them five bucks on the spot.

So, if I want to keep my money, I'd better get dedicated to a good diet.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    In my efforts to better motivate myself to improve and maintain a healthy diet, I've taken some advice that I've heard several times and that I think is brilliant. I talked to several of my friends that I see and eat with regularly, and made them a deal ... every time they see me eat something unhealthy, I'm obligated to give them five bucks on the spot.

So, if I want to keep my money, I'd better get dedicated to a good diet.
    Good luck and don't go broke.

5. Likes Steve likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Good luck and don't go broke.
    Don't plan on it. What I need to do is find some healthier snacks, and throw out the unhealthy ones in my house. I have healthy snacks that I enjoy, but it's the lack of variety that has sent me back to unhealthy foods in the past. Either way, I think I'll be alright. Just need to keep looking for new foods and stay strong.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Don't plan on it. What I need to do is find some healthier snacks, and throw out the unhealthy ones in my house. I have healthy snacks that I enjoy, but it's the lack of variety that has sent me back to unhealthy foods in the past. Either way, I think I'll be alright. Just need to keep looking for new foods and stay strong.
    You need to find yourself some "cheat food". There are a lot of healthy snacks out there you can try. I keep a large amount of fruit and every time i get that urge i just grab a piece. When you go shopping just start checking the labels of certain snacks. They do have plenty out there that are low in fat and sugar that may work for you. When my girlfriend used to compete her cheat food was popcorn and graham crackers...lol If you like graham crackers they are a good snack. I prefer the whole wheat ones but the others will do too. Just remember to cheat in moderation. You're only human so there will be times that you will cheat but you can still reach your goals.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-09-2013 at 02:21.

let me know if you guys have something to contribute to the thread & I'll add it
    Last edited by Jason3beard; 04-09-2013 at 06:38.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason3beard View Post
    let me know if you guys have something to contribute to the thread & I'll add it
    No need. We do fine.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I've been trying some new moves suggested by this video, and it seems to be to be a pretty simple but effective workout. I've been wrong before, though. Thoughts?

It's essentially an assortment of push-up variations, planks, weighted lunges, and some anaerobic exercises.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    it's better than doing sitting on the couch watching tv

it actually isn't a bad workout, i'd say do it every 2-3 days but don't rely on it too much for building muscle.
    Sweet. Thanks for the perspective.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    it's better than doing sitting on the couch watching tv

it actually isn't a bad workout, i'd say do it every 2-3 days but don't rely on it too much for building muscle.
    This.

If it gets you active, that's a big plus. Just always put focus on your control during the movements. Most people tend to get overly excited about new exercise endeavors and end up hurting themselves. Just be careful and have fun. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

El Presidente
    So I finally got my butt up this morning and used my weights that have been sitting for about a year. Nothing earth shattering...squats, dead lifts, bent over rows, some push ups and crunches. Kept my back straight and shoulders back throughout. I know form is the most important.

I believe that is what Ixion suggested I do a while ago. If I should add to take something out let me know. I'm doing this at home not a gym. I've got a bar bell, dumbbells, squat rack and one of those pull up bars you can use on a door frame.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    So I finally got my butt up this morning and used my weights that have been sitting for about a year. Nothing earth shattering...squats, dead lifts, bent over rows, some push ups and crunches. Kept my back straight and shoulders back throughout. I know form is the most important.

I believe that is what Ixion suggested I do a while ago. If I should add to take something out let me know. I'm doing this at home not a gym. I've got a bar bell, dumbbells, squat rack and one of those pull up bars you can use on a door frame.
    How's your progress coming along?
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    How's your progress coming along?
    Pretty good so far. I'm not doing as much with the weights but am doing regular cardio jogging and with the bike. I've hit a bit of a speed bump. Been to the chiropractor and apparently my left hip sits slightly higher than my right hip. This would be why my walk has been sort of off and I've been having discomfort. I'll get back to the weights more next week. Working on mostly core strength.

Before anyone says anything I trust this guy. He helped my mother with a lot of legs problems she was having. I know she is better so this guy is ok in my book.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Pretty good so far. I'm not doing as much with the weights but am doing regular cardio jogging and with the bike. I've hit a bit of a speed bump. Been to the chiropractor and apparently my left hip sits slightly higher than my right hip. This would be why my walk has been sort of off and I've been having discomfort. I'll get back to the weights more next week. Working on mostly core strength.

Before anyone says anything I trust this guy. He helped my mother with a lot of legs problems she was having. I know she is better so this guy is ok in my book.
    Sounds like you might have a really tight psoas. It's really hard to get knots from that area. I go to a myofascial release therapist when my hips do that and that's usually the cause. It involves the therapist jamming his hand through my abdomen nearly to my spine. Hip relaxes and drops down to normal immediately. Hurts like hell though... then relief... lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Finally moved upto lifting 10kg dumb bells. I'm trying to hold off so my muscles don't explode too soon. In time i'll move upto 12kgs.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Finally moved upto lifting 10kg dumb bells. I'm trying to hold off so my muscles don't explode too soon. In time i'll move upto 12kgs.
    that should be the least of your worries lol
    Yeah... you'll be fine. I don't think you're in imminent danger of muscle explosion.

Ultimate Veteran
    Well I've gone from lifting nothing to 10kgs in 3 months. Pretty happy at that, hopefully in another 3 months ill be upto lifting bar bells

Administrator
    Gotta start somewhere. Heavy is completely relative to the person lifting. Just keep at it and don't take huge 3-month-off breaks and you'll continue to see progress.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Gotta start somewhere. Heavy is completely relative to the person lifting. Just keep at it and don't take huge 3-month-off breaks and you'll continue to see progress.
    If you stop lifting the muscle is still kinda there but it deflates. Once you can lift big it really shouldn't take all that much to maintain it.

My younger bro is upto lifting 50kg barbells.

Administrator

Health & Exercise Thread! 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    If you stop lifting the muscle is still kinda there but it deflates. Once you can lift big it really shouldn't take all that much to maintain it.

My younger bro is upto lifting 50kg barbells.
    Where are you getting your info from? -_- What's your current workout look like?

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    X6teen I deleted that message you sent me so now I have questions for anyone.

1. I'm 5'6 and 135lbs now. What is considered low weight weight and high weight for me? Your best estimate for me.
    2. Is this diet any good?. Spoiler for details.

3How long should I work out per day?

Any answers will be helpful. Plus rep.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Administrator
    @ Day 1: I think that's overkill on the chest exercises. 5 exercises just for chest with a 6th chest exercise that focuses more on hitting the triceps (close grip). You can't target different parts of the chest, although some people find they grow better with incline or decline over traditional bench.

I mean... you can do all these chest movements, I just don't want you to overwhelm yourself and feel burnt out. Maybe just pick a few chest movements and get the feel for them before adding more. Or just do them all, as long as it feels okay. You'll see growth at the beginning no matter what you do. This has typically been coined as "noob gains". As you progress you'll need to change things up a bit. Like x6 said... the big 3 (squats, deads, bench) will allow you the biggest gains. Rows and chin ups are great as well.

However, form is absolutely crucial, especially for squats and deadlifts. Start with little to no weight until you master form. For deadlifts, I would recommend purchasing bumper plates. It makes training the deadlifts easier. It sets the bar at the proper height because they're the same size as 45 pound plates, but you can get them at 10 pounds each. Much easier to learn with 65 pound deads instead of 135.

I also feel the same way about the curling movements. That just seems like overkill unless you're juicing. The biceps are a smaller muscle group and don't need to be hammered to hell in order to grow. Not only are you working them during curls, you are also indirectly working them in pulling movements such as chin ups and deadlifts. But again, if it feels right and you're not feeling burnt out, by all means. If you're seeing progress (size or strength increase) then stick with what you're doing. Just focus on form and nothing else. Your central nervous will be adapting your motor neurons to performing the movements correctly. If you practice with bad form, your body will adapt to bad form and can eventually lead to injury.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-29-2013 at 18:42.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Thanks you,guys. Another question, can I use my bench press bar for deadlifts?

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    Thanks you,guys. Another question, can I use my bench press bar for deadlifts?
    Yes.

27. Likes Silvy likes this post

Thread Information