Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5666 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1846
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I have some questions about losing weight and getting in shape. I'm still trying, just haven't had any luck. I have immense trouble with cravings, even though I try to drink as much water as possible.

1. If I were to do different kinds of exercises, would that speed up the weight loss and make it more effective? In other words, if I have muscles in all kinds of places, won't that tone me up and make burning calories easier?

2. How do I get a female six pack? You can't "spot burn" calories, so in order to get a six pack do you build muscle in the desired place? Can you build that muscle just by "walking" or do you have to target those abs.

3. I'm going to do research and find exercises so I can tone my stomach and everything. Does anyone have suggestions, especially exercises that tone more than one thing at one time?

I'm still trying to lose weight and I weigh myself tomorrow morning. Sunday is always weigh day. I lost 4 lbs and hit my goal of 2 lbs last time.

Rep to anyone who answers this.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Went on a nine mile run today. I can't describe how good it feels.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    chew gum more often, that helped me with cravings.

1. yes, intense weight training helps immensely with losing fat.

2. to get abs, for male or female, the ONLY thing you have to do is lose fat. you don't need to do countless sit-ups and crunches although ab isolation exercises help strengthen the muscle as well as hypertrophy. everyone carries and distributes fat differently but once you lower your overall bodyfat percentage, your abs will become visible. it's not a matter of gaining them, it's a matter of making them visible.

3. you can only gain muscle, lose fat, lose muscle, gain fat etc. there is no such thing as 'toning'. you can't 'tone' a muscle, i still have no idea what that even means lol. i typed in 'toned muscle' in google images and this is one of the first pictures that came up so this is what i'm assuming when you mean a 'toned stomach' and trying to achieve?

to achieve a physique like this is REALLY simple. it's sort of like when people ask "what's the secret in getting bigger?" when there is no secret. the only thing to it is consistency and diet. the only thing you need to do to get a body like the bottom picture is lose weight and become more fit. i'm sure you already know how to lose weight. to get fit, you need to be doing stuff like jump rope, star jumps, sprints, long distance running etc. not just training with weights.

if you are actually committed to your goals, unlike 90% of everyone else in the world, you will achieve it very easily. just remember that consistency is the #1 thing in achieving your fitness goals.

Thank you, x6Teen. Rep awarded.

By the way, how do you know all of this? Are you a health professional or do you just know a lot about health? I remember reading some of your posts and you said you bench or have muscles. Are you a wrestler or body builder?

Veteran
    MyPlate is a good guideline for a healthy and balanced diet, right? What do you nutrition and health guys think about MyPlate?

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As long as that isn't based on the food pyramid... and is based on the newer guidelines... then it should be okay. The old food pyramid was garbage.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

6. Likes TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I've just been doing a simple body-weight routine over the last few months as I'm recovering from Lyme disease (pull-ups, push-ups, lunges, inverted rows, planks, etc). I've also been on a low-carb diet and I've been pretty strict with it.

I've definitely lost weight and I'm in decent shape (which is good for the vacation I took this past week), but my muscles aren't exactly large.

I'm thinking about going back on Starting Strength over the next three months to quickly regain a good amount of strength, and then I'd switch to a hypertrophy split, which I've never done before.

I also want to start the LeanGains diet when I do Starting Strength, which is a form of intermittent fasting where you eat within an 8-hour period every day and eat high-carb on training days and low-carb on rest days, and high-protein every day.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-03-2013 at 22:17.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I've just been doing a simple body-weight routine over the last few months as I'm recovering from Lyme disease (pull-ups, push-ups, lunges, inverted rows, planks, etc). I've also been on a low-carb diet and I've been pretty strict with it.

I've definitely lost weight and I'm in decent shape (which is good for the vacation I took this past week), but my muscles aren't exactly large.

I'm thinking about going back on Starting Strength over the next three months to quickly regain a good amount of strength, and then I'd switch to a hypertrophy split, which I've never done before.

I also want to start the LeanGains diet when I do Starting Strength, which is a form of intermittent fasting where you eat within an 8-hour period every day and eat high-carb on training days and low-carb on rest days, and high-protein every day.

Thoughts?
    Starting Strength is a solid routine and I've done intermittent fasting with great success (though I prefer Carb Back-Loading now for my cuts, despite all the filler bro science in that diet, it works amazingly well)... especially if you are concerned with gaining too much fat (I've never heard of LeanGains, but it looks like yet another variation of IF, so if it works, then go for it). However, if the Starting Strength routine is working, there's no reason to go off of it after 3 months, unless it's just boring you to death... which isn't uncommon. I'm a firm believer in compound lifts though... so whatever routine you decide to go with... I would at least incorporate them occasionally.

What does this hypertrophy split look like? Seems like you have the dedication to do what you want... most people I know last about 5 minutes on low-carb dieting... lol.

Sucks about the Lyme disease. I hope you get better soon, bro.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Anyone go on the rowing machine? If so what are your bes times? I'm trying to see if I'm doing alright or not.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Well, I'm thinking about competing next year in a fitness model competition, And i hear that i need a posing coach for that! Anyone have any knowledge about that?

I have about 6 months of training and conditioning to be ready.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    As long as that isn't based on the food pyramid... and is based on the newer guidelines... then it should be okay. The old food pyramid was garbage.
    It doesn't shock me. As the years go by, scientists and nutritionists realize what was considered healthy in the 90's was actually garbage.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    i do in fact bench and have muscles lol

and i know from experience as well as years upon years of research. knowing a lot about something is actually really easy if you have a legit passion and interest for it.

im not a bodybuilder because i don't compete on stage but i train for hypertrophy and athleticism.
    You don't really have to compete on stage to be considered a bodybuilder. You just aren't a competitive bodybuilder.

Veteran
    This is what I wrote down as a diet for myself based on MyPlate. They recommend different amounts of food for different age groups. I also adjusted it a bit because their recommendations were for non active people and not active people trying to lose weight and get in shape. There's also more fruits, vegetables, meats/proteins, grains, and dairy listed here. I just listed the things I eat.

Fruit:
    4 cups of fruit daily
    1 cup = 1/2 cup of fresh fruit
    Apples, Bananas, blackberries, cherries, grapes, grapefruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, nectarines, nuts (unsalted), oranges, peaches, pears, plums, pineapples, and strawberries.

Vegetables:
    5 cups of vegetables daily
    1 cup = 1 cup of raw or cooked veggies or 2 cups of leafy veggies
    Dark veggies -broccoli, greens, lettuce
    Starchy veggies - corn, potatoes, green peas
    Red/orange veggies - carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes
    Other - cabbage, celery, cucumbers, eggplants

Grains:
    10 ounces of Grains daily
    6 ounces of whole grains and 4 ounces of refined grains
    1 ounce = 1 slice of bread or 1/2 cup of rice or cooked pasta
    Brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, wild rice, whole wheat pasta are whole grains
    white bread, white rice, noodles, crackers, pretzels, and grits are refined grains

Meat/Protein:
    8 ounces of meat/protein daily
    1 ounce = 1 ounce of meat, poultry, and fish
    Lean cuts of ham, beef, and pork
    Poultry chick and turkey
    Seafood in fish, shellfish (lobster and shrimp), and canned fish (tuna)

Dairy:
    4 cups of dairy daily
    1 cup = 1 cup of milk or yogurt or 1/2 cup of natural cheese, not processed cheese
    Whole milk, low fat milk, reduced fat milk
    Frozen yogurt, ice cream
    Cheeses include cheddar, mozzarella, swiss, and permesan

That's my diet while I'm trying to lose weight. When I'm back to normal, I'll lower it to their recommendations for healthy people.

What do you guys think of this diet? Pretty good, pretty bad?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Starting Strength is a solid routine and I've done intermittent fasting with great success (though I prefer Carb Back-Loading now for my cuts, despite all the filler bro science in that diet, it works amazingly well)... especially if you are concerned with gaining too much fat (I've never heard of LeanGains, but it looks like yet another variation of IF, so if it works, then go for it).
    Carb back-loading is pretty similar to what LeanGains employs regarding carbs, which it calls 'Carb-Cycling'. Carbs on training days and very little carbs on rest days. The only difference with Carb back-loading is there is no late-night carb meal on rest days with carb-cycling. So yeah, it's pretty similar.

I just know that being on a 100% low-carb diet like I am now is not smart for bodybuilding. I need to use carbs strategically and carb-cycling seems simple enough. Maybe I'll look into back-loading later on.

However, if the Starting Strength routine is working, there's no reason to go off of it after 3 months, unless it's just boring you to death... which isn't uncommon. I'm a firm believer in compound lifts though... so whatever routine you decide to go with... I would at least incorporate them occasionally.
    I've done Starting Strength three times before, and something usually goes wrong the 4th or 5th month in (usually injury). So I just want to gain some strength first before trying a bodybuilding split. I've never even done a routine in the 8-12 rep range. Just 3 x 5. So I'm curious to see how it works out for me.

What does this hypertrophy split look like?
    lol No idea, but I look for simplicity.

Sucks about the Lyme disease. I hope you get better soon, bro.
    Thanks man. I still have symptoms, but I'm doing better at dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Well, I'm thinking about competing next year in a fitness model competition, And i hear that i need a posing coach for that! Anyone have any knowledge about that?

I have about 6 months of training and conditioning to be ready.
    You'd probably have better luck looking in this forum:

Bodybuilding.com - Fitness Competitions
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-04-2013 at 06:12.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Carb back-loading is pretty similar to what LeanGains employs regarding carbs, which it calls 'Carb-Cycling'. Carbs on training days and very little carbs on rest days. The only difference with Carb back-loading is there is no late-night carb meal on rest days with carb-cycling. So yeah, it's pretty similar.
    There's nothing I've found better than carb-cycling for putting on lean muscle with minimal fat. It's a bit complicated, though... so I just save it for cutting. The first time I did back-loading, I lost no weight, but shed 5% body fat in two weeks. I was like wtf. My waist slimmed down almost instantly.

I just know that being on a 100% low-carb diet like I am now is not smart for bodybuilding.
    Low carb diets also aren't particularly healthy for prolonged periods of time.

I need to use carbs strategically and carb-cycling seems simple enough. Maybe I'll look into back-loading later on.
    I purchased the CBL book (PDF format), so if you're interested later on I'll be happy to send it your way.

I've done Starting Strength three times before, and something usually goes wrong the 4th or 5th month in (usually injury).
    In that case, I would modify the routine so that you alternate a heavy week followed by a light week (as in much lighter weights). This will keep you from overtaxing your nervous system. I would also incorporate a lot of stretching into your routine... probably at least 15-30 minutes a day. Also every 3-4 months or so I would take an entire week off or so to allow your body and nervous system to recuperate.

So I just want to gain some strength first before trying a bodybuilding split. I've never even done a routine in the 8-12 rep range. Just 3 x 5. So I'm curious to see how it works out for me.
    8x12 is certainly less brutal.

Thanks man. I still have symptoms, but I'm doing better at dealing with it.
    Well . . . hopefully you won't have to deal with it much longer.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    fitness model competition? or a physique competition? physique is where you wear knee length shorts and pose

are you gonna be on stage and do the 8 mandatory poses and your own posing routine?
    I'll be going for fitness model competition.

As of now i have no idea what are the mandatory poses are, but i'll be working on that in the next couple of months.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I'll be going for fitness model competition.

As of now i have no idea what are the mandatory poses are, but i'll be working on that in the next couple of months.
    I hope it goes well.

18. Likes TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    My god he is huge!
    On a serious note, I broke out with some deadlifts. Those things are raw. I can bench over a hundred like 12 times but It doesn't compare to the sweat you get from doing half of that on deadlifts. I like em though. :P I'm on way to Hercules status.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Administrator

Health & Exercise Thread! 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    My god he is huge!
    On a serious note, I broke out with some deadlifts. Those things are raw. I can bench over a hundred like 12 times but It doesn't compare to the sweat you get from doing half of that on deadlifts. I like em though. :P I'm on way to Hercules status.
    That's a very technical lift, so make sure to practice perfect form before adding weight. You can easily cause a back injury if you are not doing them correctly... but when done correctly... they'll give you a stronger back than any other exercise.

You can find tips on form by searching online.

But yes they are brutal. I've puked a few times on heavy sets... cleaned myself up... then finished my set cycle... lol. It takes me longer to adjust to demanding lifts like that because of my low blood pressure. Low blood pressure is obviously not a bad thing, but I have to stay in really good shape to ensure optimal blood circulation.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-05-2013 at 01:33.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    This is what I wrote down as a diet for myself based on MyPlate. They recommend different amounts of food for different age groups. I also adjusted it a bit because their recommendations were for non active people and not active people trying to lose weight and get in shape. There's also more fruits, vegetables, meats/proteins, grains, and dairy listed here. I just listed the things I eat.

Fruit:
    4 cups of fruit daily
    1 cup = 1/2 cup of fresh fruit
    Apples, Bananas, blackberries, cherries, grapes, grapefruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, nectarines, nuts (unsalted), oranges, peaches, pears, plums, pineapples, and strawberries.

Vegetables:
    5 cups of vegetables daily
    1 cup = 1 cup of raw or cooked veggies or 2 cups of leafy veggies
    Dark veggies -broccoli, greens, lettuce
    Starchy veggies - corn, potatoes, green peas
    Red/orange veggies - carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes
    Other - cabbage, celery, cucumbers, eggplants

Grains:
    10 ounces of Grains daily
    6 ounces of whole grains and 4 ounces of refined grains
    1 ounce = 1 slice of bread or 1/2 cup of rice or cooked pasta
    Brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, wild rice, whole wheat pasta are whole grains
    white bread, white rice, noodles, crackers, pretzels, and grits are refined grains

Meat/Protein:
    8 ounces of meat/protein daily
    1 ounce = 1 ounce of meat, poultry, and fish
    Lean cuts of ham, beef, and pork
    Poultry chick and turkey
    Seafood in fish, shellfish (lobster and shrimp), and canned fish (tuna)

Dairy:
    4 cups of dairy daily
    1 cup = 1 cup of milk or yogurt or 1/2 cup of natural cheese, not processed cheese
    Whole milk, low fat milk, reduced fat milk
    Frozen yogurt, ice cream
    Cheeses include cheddar, mozzarella, swiss, and permesan

That's my diet while I'm trying to lose weight. When I'm back to normal, I'll lower it to their recommendations for healthy people.

What do you guys think of this diet? Pretty good, pretty bad?
    Is this a good diet? Anyone have any suggestions on what I should add or subtract? Should I add legumes or is that good enough on the vegetables?

Administrator

The diet in general looks fine and covers the bases. How many calories is that?

If you want a more personalized diet, I would see a qualified dietician or nutritionist.

Veteran
    The diet in general looks fine and covers the bases. How many calories is that?

If you want a more personalized diet, I would see a qualified dietician or nutritionist.
    I'm not sure how many calories that would be a day yet. I haven't started on this diet but will be grocery shopping soon.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    That's a very technical lift, so make sure to practice perfect form before adding weight. You can easily cause a back injury if you are not doing them correctly... but when done correctly... they'll give you a stronger back than any other exercise.

You can find tips on form by searching online.

But yes they are brutal. I've puked a few times on heavy sets... cleaned myself up... then finished my set cycle... lol. It takes me longer to adjust to demanding lifts like that because of my low blood pressure. Low blood pressure is obviously not a bad thing, but I have to stay in really good shape to ensure optimal blood circulation.
    You should've seen how my videos I've watch. I only did about ten and I felt like puking. I have to drench myself in water lol I have to say that I've done a lot of stuff but those feel the most brutal. I need to get a squat rack now. I have to give you credit to continue after puking. GO HARD OR GO HOME!

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    You should've seen how my videos I've watch. I only did about ten and I felt like puking. I have to drench myself in water lol I have to say that I've done a lot of stuff but those feel the most brutal. I need to get a squat rack now. I have to give you credit to continue after puking. GO HARD OR GO HOME!
    I would advise you to do no more than 5 reps per set. There's no reason to do more than that... even after you become good at it. It's easy to lose form after 5 reps because you are giving it your all during deads... they work most of the muscles in your body.

So keep the rep range around 5... paying close attention to form. When you don't have 100% control of the weight you are either a) doing too many reps or b) doing too much weight. That's how you can gauge what weight is too much. If you have to "cheat", it's too much weight. Cheating is applicable at times, but it's usually when you are an advanced lifter that you are able to implement such techniques. If you haven't already, try YouTubing Mark Ripptoe for some good advice on deadlift form.

Even if you're using a weight that's easy with 5 reps... you should be focusing on form. You're not really looking for strength right now, for the first month or so you are training your nervous system/motor neurons to adapt to the new movement... kind of like learning to ride a bike. It can take a year or more to perfect the form... same goes with squats... so it's crucial that you get the form down.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-05-2013 at 04:29.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    so you're going to be entering a competition to become a fitness model for like magazines? if you are then for that i highly doubt you'll be stepping on stage or even doing the mandatory poses called out by judges lol

here is a arguably the best posing tutorial video on youtube

so if you are going to be dieting down, hiring a prep and/or posing coach, going tanning etc. before stepping on stage, you should watch it
    That's exactly what i'm planing to do.

I don't think i would ever want to be this big, or even compete in IFBB ever. Thanks for the video though

Now i have to dig deeper to see what is really needed. I can reach 5% BF in 2-3 months so that is not a problem!

Thanks for your help.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Thanks a lot for the videos I can't rep you now but i will soon

Thread Information