Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 5767 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1846
    Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Hey guys.

I'm not necessarily looked to get extremely jacked like a bodybuilder or anything, but I would like to improve my strength and size. I haven't been able to go to the gym to even try and do anything recently due to work related issues, but I'm going to go today to do a bit of cardio and try and get back to a satisfactory stamina level.

So in terms of putting on a bit of muscle, and preventing the stomach/gut region from getting any worse, what sort of things should I be looking to eat? My main problem is what can I look for when I'm on my lunch break? Like particular sandwiches or whatever. I really have no idea so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Right, well a routine is another thing I'd need to have.

Last time I managed to lift some weights, I was doing a Stronglift 5x5 program (dunno if anyone's heard of it). Aim was to work three days a week. One day I'd do Squats, Bench Press and Barbell Rows. Next time I'd do Squats, Overhead Lifts and Deadlifts. The next time I'd do the first sequence, and then the next time I'd do the second sequence and so on. I was doing that at home because when I get to go to the gym after work, all the $#@!ing jocks are monopolizing everything! But I the weights I have at home aren't enough because I was working through this cycle with some ease.
    I had only been doing it about a month and I'm really not too sure if it made any significant impact on me. If anyone knows about this program, feel free to throw your opinion in.

I decided to work with that program because all the exercises are compound rather than isolation. Is this usually the best route to go?

In terms of food, I can always get a chicken and mayo sandwich. Whilst mayo is not too healthy, the rest was just chicken, so I know the white meats are all good for you.

Like I said, I'm a real novice, but I thought calories were not so good? Like even on food products you see them saying stuff like "ONLY ??? calories!"

And are there any exercises programs that you would recommend for someone who can only really spend about an hour in the gym each time they go? Any programs that you know will work?
    I'm not chubby all over really. I have a bit of a gut and that's the only real problem. I don't have elbow cleavage or anything like that and they still have some slight definition.
    I'd basically like to reduce the guy, but also build some good muscle/strength in the right places.

Thanks.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Okay. I can understand that.
    Being a novice again: if I just eat calories and stuff, and just do weight training, what stops the growth of the gut?

If I'm lucky, because I work 7 days a week, I'd want to go in 3 times during the weekdays, and then that depends if I don't feel mega tired or not.
    Weekends are out of the question because I work in a department store and finish after 7pm.
    At the moment, my weekday job ends at 5pm, and it takes me about an hour to get to my gym from there.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Molo316 View Post
    Being a novice again: if I just eat calories and stuff, and just do weight training, what stops the growth of the gut?
    So you want to gain muscle without gaining much fat? I'm trying to do the same.

I'm about to start LeanGains, which is exactly the goal of that diet. On training days you eat high-carb and at a surplus, while on rest days you eat low-carb and at a deficit. The reason for this is because the carbs will be stored in your muscles after training instead of being stored as fat on rest days. Also, you want to keep dietary fat low on training days because dietary fat is stored as fat when eating at a surplus. But when eating at a deficit (on rest days), it's OK to eat more fat (which is good for testosterone).

You also fast for 16 hours a day (which increases fat burning). This diet is designed to maximize the ability to gain muscle without gaining much fat. If you're on a cut, then it helps you maintain muscle while losing fat.

For a cut, you would eat +10% on training days and -30% on rest days.

For 'body-recomposition', you would eat +20% on training days and -20% on rest days.

For bulking, you would eat +30% on training days and -10% on rest days.

You also need to calculate your macros (protein, fat, carbs) and eat according to that every day. For example, my macros will be something like:

Training Days:

Protein (200g) - Carbs (400g) - Fat (50g)

Rest Days:

Protein (200g) - Carbs (80g) - Fat (100g)

It's pretty complicated to plan everything out, but I'm excited to try it.
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-11-2013 at 21:45.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Molo316 View Post
    Okay. I can understand that.
    Nothing stops fat gain... fat gain is a necessary evil of bulking... and the gut is usually the last place for fat to go for males. Generally speaking, most bodybuilders that are training for both muscle gain and aesthetics (not being a tub of lard), will cycle their dieting and training... also known as bulking and cutting. You bulk to achieve muscle mass by eating in excess of your maintenance calories (calories that you consume that you don't gain or lose weight). After they are satisfied with their gains, they go on a cut... which is a reduction in calories to reduce body fat to show off that hard-earned muscle... but as a result of a caloric deficit, you will lose a little muscle as well. It's kind of like going forward 2 steps and taking 1 step back. If you are consistent, you will see amazing gains. If you are not, you will never achieve the type of physique you want. When you're cutting, you generally want to keep your workouts short and sweet. You lift heavy and keep your protein intake high to make sure your body wants to hold onto as much muscle as possible. You won't have the same kind of energy you did on a bulk, so you need to compensate and switch up your routine a little. You don't necessarily need to change your diet very much... unless you were just eating like crap on your bulk... but I wouldn't advise eating like crap at all. The way your body puts on weight... whether it's fat or muscle... is directly correlated to the type of food you are shoveling in your face.

If you are truly set on gaining minimal fat, you can go on various diets such as CC (Carb Cycling) and PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast). Carb cycling is great for both bulking and cutting... but it also allows you to gain muscle with minimal fat.

As for your macros... the guidelines are usually pretty simple.

1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass
    .5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass with the majority of fat coming from unsaturated fat sources (saturated fat is still very important as it's responsible for hormone production such as testosterone... too much of it can affect the way you absorb nutrients, though)
    The rest of your calories can come from protein, carbs, or fat... depending on your calorie needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    So you want to gain muscle without gaining much fat? I'm trying to do the same.

I'm about to start LeanGains, which is exactly the goal of that diet. On training days you eat high-carb and at a surplus, while on rest days you eat low-carb and at a deficit. The reason for this is because the carbs will be stored in your muscles after training instead of being stored as fat on rest days. Also, you want to keep dietary fat low on training days because dietary fat is stored as fat when eating at a surplus. But when eating at a deficit (on rest days), it's OK to eat more fat (which is good for testosterone).

You also fast for 16 hours a day (which increases fat burning). This diet is designed to maximize the ability to gain muscle without gaining much fat. If you're on a cut, then it helps you maintain muscle while losing fat.

For a cut, you would eat +10% on training days and -30% on rest days.

For 'body-recomposition', you would eat +20% on training days and -20% on rest days.

For bulking, you would eat +30% on training days and -10% on rest days.

You also need to calculate your macros (protein, fat, carbs) and eat according to that every day. For example, my macros will be something like:

Training Days:

Protein (200g) - Carbs (400g) - Fat (50g)

Rest Days:

Protein (200g) - Carbs (80g) - Fat (100g)

It's pretty complicated to plan everything out, but I'm excited to try it.
    I wouldn't advise a novice to do carb cycling... but if he has the patience to follow through... then I don't see a problem. I love CC, although I prefer the simplicity of CBL. I might try LeanGains one of these days.
    Last edited by Brandon; 07-11-2013 at 22:34.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Here's a question

If I'm a vegetarian and the only sources of Protein is eggs and Whey for me is it bad that if i take Whey 3 times a day?

I asked this question elsewhere and got no response.

The reason i'm asking this, is that i read somewhere that taking most of your protein from Protein shakes is bad for you!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Here's a question

If I'm a vegetarian and the only sources of Protein is eggs and Whey for me is it bad that if i take Whey 3 times a day?

I asked this question elsewhere and got no response.

The reason i'm asking this, is that i read somewhere that taking most of your protein from Protein shakes is bad for you!
    You're not going to get much better protein than whey and eggs.

It also depends on what type of whey it is. Is it whey isolate? As long as it's a solid brand such as NOW foods (no additives, no anything), then you should be good since it doesn't contain filler. A lot of protein powder out there uses rice flour to fill up the bucket and the protein itself is pretty garbage in terms of bioavailability (like 30-40% or less).

There's nothing bad for you about protein shakes as long as the powder you're consuming isn't crap. Whey isolate actually has more anti-oxidants than fruits or vegetables.

As for eggs... the yolk in eggs is very high in cholesterol... but yolks also contain the most nutrition. So if you're consuming a lot of them... maybe just use the egg whites from a few of them to lower the cholesterol you're consuming. Eggs are fantastic sources of protein, though.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    You're not going to get much better protein than whey and eggs.

It also depends on what type of whey it is. Is it whey isolate? As long as it's a solid brand such as NOW foods (no additives, no anything), then you should be good since it doesn't contain filler. A lot of protein powder out there uses rice flour to fill up the bucket and the protein itself is pretty garbage in terms of bioavailability (like 30-40% or less).

There's nothing bad for you about protein shakes as long as the powder you're consuming isn't crap. Whey isolate actually has more anti-oxidants than fruits or vegetables.

As for eggs... the yolk in eggs is very high in cholesterol... but yolks also contain the most nutrition. So if you're consuming a lot of them... maybe just use the egg whites from a few of them to lower the cholesterol you're consuming. Eggs are fantastic sources of protein, though.
    I Use whey isolate ( Isopure and soon ISO-100 ) As for the Eggs i know this part and i consume a lot of egg whites with 2-3 egg yolks from time to time.

Thanks for the informative quick answer +REP

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I Use whey isolate ( Isopure and soon ISO-100 ) As for the Eggs i know this part and i consume a lot of egg whites with 2-3 egg yolks from time to time.

Thanks for the informative quick answer +REP
    That's a pretty good brand, so you should be fine. :] They don't use fillers and other useless junk.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I wouldn't advise a novice to do carb cycling... but if he has the patience to follow through... then I don't see a problem. I love CC, although I prefer the simplicity of CBL. I might try LeanGains one of these days.
    Yeah, I'm not saying he should take that approach. Just wanted to share my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    i actually don't know much about 3 days a week training but i'll give you my $0.02. i personally would be doing something like below

chest/triceps + cardio

bench press 4 sets X 8 reps
    incline bench press 4 sets X 8 reps
    incline dumbbell press 4 sets X 8 reps
    push-ups 3 sets till failure
    tricep pushdowns 3 sets X 8 reps
    15 minutes cardio (treadmill or bike)

back/biceps + cardio

bent over rows 5 sets X 8 reps
    lat pull down 5 sets X 8 reps
    pull-ups 3 sets till failure
    synchronized dumbbell curls 5 sets X 8 reps
    15 minutes cardio (treadmill or bike)

full body

squats 3 sets X 10 reps
    dumbbell lunges 3 sets X 10 reps
    deadlifts 4 sets X 5 reps
    shoulder press 4 sets X 8 reps
    side raises 3 sets X 8 reps
    push-ups 3 sets till failure
    LeanGains and RippedBody (another site that focuses on LeanGains) advise doing just simple, 3-day, core-lift based routines, such as Starting Strength or even just the Big 3 routine (Squats, Bench, Deadlifts; three days a week). They also emphasize that cardio isn't needed and might even be detrimental.

I was planning on doing Starting Strength, but my lower back is still giving me problems. I don't think I'm ready to squat yet. I'll probably be sticking to my calisthenics routine for now (and I'll start adding weight via my vest).

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    well if you or molo want to have $#@! cardio then don't do it lol

personally, i take my cardio pretty serious. i dont want to be that guy that's huge but gets winded walking up a flight of stairs. on the days i do cardio, i just drink an extra protein shake for the lost calories
    It obviously depends what your goals are. If you just want to get ripped, then you don't need cardio, except perhaps once you reach 8/9% bodyfat and need increased bloodflow to reach your stubborn fat areas.

btw for your lower back problems, is it the squatting movement thats the problem or the fact that there's weight on the bar? like if you do a squat with just the bar or even bodyweight, would be able to do it? just curious lol
    I used to only be able to reach parallel with weight on the bar, but now I can do it with just bodyweight (even though I haven't squatted in over a year). So that's good, but the last time I injured my back was when I was just practicing my form in my room with bodyweight. Something just snapped and I was out of commission for a few days (couldn't move an inch without terrible pain).

And now, since I wanted to get back into Starting Strength, I've been practicing my form with just bodyweight and now my back is hurting a bit more than usual.

So I'm going to try and improve my mobility (primarily hip mobility). In addition to foam rolling, I'm thinking about ordering this DVD, which is from one of the authors on T-Nation, Eric Cressey:

Administrator

Health & Exercise Thread! 2.0

Foam rolling works immensely well... and flexibility is something most people neglect. So focusing more time on your mobility will benefit you a lot.

As for cardio, I'd either do them at a separate time of the day from lifting, AFTER you lift weights, or on your off days. You want to reserve your glycogen stores for lifting.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    PBM, what are you currently doing with your routine and diet? Just curious.

Administrator
    PBM, what are you currently doing with your routine and diet? Just curious.
    I've been on a hiatus due to an injury that incurred during my work on a boat in Alaska last summer.

So now I'm doing basic compound lifts in the 5 rep range with some other basic movements such as T-Bar rows and Chin Ups. Also doing some rehabilitation work (in the 12 rep range) to bring myself back up to speed. I'm incorporating a rather thorough stretching routine I put together from one of Pavel Tsatsouline's books. My goal is to be able to do full splits again in 6 months or so.

As for my diet, I'm just eating clean and avoiding anything that isn't homemade. Drinking at least a gallon of water a day and basically just sticking with counting calories at this point. When I want to drop fat I'll start CBL again and follow it religiously. I've had really good success with it.

I'm not doing anything too intense, just trying to bring myself back up to normal again.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I've been on a hiatus due to an injury that incurred during my work on a boat in Alaska last summer.

So now I'm doing basic compound lifts in the 5 rep range with some other basic movements such as T-Bar rows and Chin Ups. Also doing some rehabilitation work (in the 12 rep range) to bring myself back up to speed. I'm incorporating a rather thorough stretching routine I put together from one of Pavel Tsatsouline's books. My goal is to be able to do full splits again in 6 months or so.

As for my diet, I'm just eating clean and avoiding anything that isn't homemade. Drinking at least a gallon of water a day and basically just sticking with counting calories at this point. When I want to drop fat I'll start CBL again and follow it religiously. I've had really good success with it.

I'm not doing anything too intense, just trying to bring myself back up to normal again.
    If you're doing the compound lifts, then I'm assuming you didn't hurt anything too major? What did you hurt?

Administrator
    If you're doing the compound lifts, then I'm assuming you didn't hurt anything too major? What did you hurt?
    It's been a year... I've been rehabbing the injury for some time now. I tore various tissues from my right shoulder blade to my neck. I was pulling anchor on a 55 foot boat during a storm. Did not turn out well.

I've been vary careful with the compounds and doing dumbbell variations if anything doesn't feel right. It's been a process, but I've been making good progress.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    It's been a year... I've been rehabbing the injury for some time now. I tore various tissues from my right shoulder blade to my neck. I was pulling anchor on a 55 foot boat during a storm. Did not turn out well.

I've been vary careful with the compounds and doing dumbbell variations if anything doesn't feel right. It's been a process, but I've been making good progress.
    Glad to hear that.

If there's one thing I learned throughout my years of lifting, it's the importance of staying healthy. Injury seems to be the number one reason why people don't succeed.

I've been extremely motivated at various points over the years, but I've had to stop dead in my tracks three times due to my lower back. I need to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Administrator
    Glad to hear that.

If there's one thing I learned throughout my years of lifting, it's the importance of staying healthy. Injury seems to be the number one reason why people don't succeed.

I've been extremely motivated at various points over the years, but I've had to stop dead in my tracks due to my lower back. I need to make sure that doesn't happen again.
    Life has definitely humbled me with injuries... especially when I shattered my knee and had to go through 3 years of rehab until I was normal again. It's been an uphill battle, but I don't let it keep me down anymore. My approach with my own lifting now is to strengthen the weakest parts of my body as to prevent injury in the future. I'm really into corrective training now and I'm eager to help people in that area to restore their confidence in themselves again.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I'm really into corrective training now and I'm eager to help people in that area to restore their confidence in themselves again.
    Well, any advice you could give to me for lower back pain/tingling would be much appreciated!

The current plan is to do foam-rolling, those mobility exercises, perhaps some static stretching, and of course keeping strict form.

Administrator
    Well, any advice you could give to me for lower back pain/tingling would be much appreciated!

The current plan is to do foam-rolling, those mobility exercises, perhaps some static stretching, and of course keeping strict form.
    Have you gone to therapy for your back?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Have you gone to therapy for your back?
    You need to get referred by a doctor though, right? I went to my usual sports doctor when I first hurt my back two or three years ago, and he said I had an 'inflamed disc' and gave me a few exercises and stretches to do. Then I went to two different chiropractors. The first said I had arthritis in my lowest disc and gave me exercises/stretches to do and said to never lift heavy weights again. The second said I just had 'spinal misalignments' and just said I needed 12 adjustments or so, and then he would reevaluate me. Sounded like a way to milk me for money, but who knows, so I stopped going.

The funny thing is that I had an MRI done of my spine and brain back in September for my Lyme disease, and nothing was found wrong with my back.

So I suppose I can try another doctor and ask for physical therapy, but the problem is that most physical therapists prescribe to outdated practices for the back. For example, stretching the lower back and flexing the lower back is actually detrimental, yet all three of those doctors told me to do that.
    Last edited by Ixion; 07-12-2013 at 22:05.

Administrator
    You need to get referred by a doctor though, right? I went to my usual sports doctor when I first hurt my back two or three years ago, and he said I had an 'inflamed disc' and gave me a few exercises and stretches to do. Then I went to two different chiropractors. The first said I had arthritis in my lowest disc and gave me exercises/stretches to do and said to never lift heavy weights again. The second said I just had 'spinal misalignments' and just said I needed 12 adjustments or so, and then he would reevaluate me. Sounded like a way to milk me for money, but who knows, so I stopped going.

The funny thing is that I had an MRI done of my spine and brain back in September for my Lyme disease, and nothing was found wrong with my back.

So I suppose I can try another doctor and ask for physical therapy, but the problem is that most physical therapists prescribe to outdated practices for the back. For example, stretching the lower back and flexing the lower back is actually detrimental, yet all three of those doctors told me to do that.
    You don't need to be referred by a doctor to see a specialist, but you do in some cases. You just need to call around and find out.

Stretching/flexing the lower back is not bad for the back. Stretching/flexing the lower back when you have f^d up discs can make it worse and cause a lot more pain. So they shouldn't have suggested that in your condition.

The fact that you have pain/tingling means you may very well have something going on with your spinal column... since that is a side effect of it... I would just be careful until you figure it out for sure. There's nothing worse than having no idea what's causing your pain.

Since I can't tend to you personally, there's not really any advice I can give you... and since the problem hasn't gone away, I would keep seeing various doctors/specialists until you find one that satisfies your needs and actually helps you to find the issue and address it accordingly.

I went through the same BS as you did, except with my knee. I think in total I've seen about 10 doctors and specialists for my knee... most advised me to never lift heavy again... and one doctor had such horrible bedside manner that he actually said, "Those dreams of yours? You can forget about them." My mother was there at the time and she almost $#@!-slapped him across the face. Anyway... even though that doctor was a giant moron, he did in fact refer me to a knee specialist/surgeon a few hours away from where I lived at the time... and it was this surgeon that finally fixed me. I had already had 4 surgeries before finding this guy. The first thing this surgeon said to me was, "Yeah... I can fix that." I was like... whhhaaa?

So the first year after surgery, I went to see the surgeon again and we did scans and whatnot (I had a bone and cartilage graft from donor tissue), and he said I was healing really well, but that I probably won't be running or weightlifting much... if ever again... but to keep doing therapy and see how it goes. So another year passes... and I go see him again... we do the scans... and he couldn't even tell where he did surgery... because my body accepted the donor tissue 100%. He then told me that I could basically do anything I wanted... that I was completely healed. I pretty much cried at that point. I've been very weary of my knee ever since, however, as I do not want to go through that again.

Anyway... the point being... is I would keep trying to find some help until you get a competent doctor or specialist or whatever. There are a LOT of bad doctors out there... some just don't care enough... and some you can tell genuinely care about your situation. Whenever I went to go see that surgeon, he'd come to the door and strike a Superman pose. He was awesome... lol.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I work in Manhattan, so I Googled 'physicaly therapy manhattan' and there's a place literally one block from my office that seems pretty legit:

http://manhattanptandpain.com/

They incorporate something called 'RedCord' treatment, which is supposed to be pretty new. Ever heard of it?

Administrator
    No, I haven't heard of it, but it certainly looks interesting: http://www.redcord.com/ArticleFull_2...=102&amid=8994

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Hello fellow workout nuts.

I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week, and mix in cardio at least once or twice.

Goal: to reach 200 lbs on my 6"1" frame without putting on fat. Almost there at 197 lbs! Started working out weighing 150 lbs 5 years ago

Supplements: egg based protein, that's it. Doing everything diet wise possible to avoid milk due to allergies. Quite a challenge.

Thread Information