Latest PSU headlines:

Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1830
    Forum Sage

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Been using this stuff for a pre-workout recently (I go to the gym right after work when i'm a bit sleepy). It won't help you lift more but man this stuff is good! Nice clean energy with no crash. I don't feel like i'm about to fall asleep as soon as I leave the gym now!

I've gone up from 11 stone to about 12 and a half now. Though i'm sure most of it has gone to my gut
    Last edited by BBK..; 09-25-2013 at 18:57.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Training for a 42K marathon ... because I'm nuts.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

3. Likes Steve , TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Forum Sage

Nice work man! Doing it for charity or just for your own person achievement?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Nice work man! Doing it for charity or just for your own person achievement?
    Both. And thx. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage

Well when you're getting closer to the time post something in this thread. I might be able to donate a little bit. Not a lot but i guess every bit counts, right?

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    Training for a 42K marathon ... because I'm nuts.
    Same here, dude. Although I'm just in the "pre-training" stages as I make up for lost time.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Well when you're getting closer to the time post something in this thread. I might be able to donate a little bit. Not a lot but i guess every bit counts, right?
    I believe it's a local YMCA charity for children and families in need or something. So I don't know if donating would be worth it to you since it's locally based. I'll have more details as it gets closer. If I'm not ready for the 42K I'll be majorly over-prepared for the half marathon. Just listening to my body right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Same here, dude. Although I'm just in the "pre-training" stages as I make up for lost time.
    It's not for 7 months, so I have a while to train. Doing 4 running sessions a week and some resistance training and calisthenics and ridiculous amounts of stretching to enhance my running performance on the days I'm not running... and occasional rest days of nothingness. I'm trying to aim for a sub-3.5 hour marathon, but I'll see if my body lets me... lol. The guy that got first place last year did it in 2 hours 58 minutes or something. Friggin' cyborg. It would be cool to win a medal... even though it's a charity.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I have zero interest in long-distance running lol. That takes guts though, so respect to you runners out there.

As for me, I finished my cut. I went from 180 lbs to 167 lbs on LeanGains over two months. I started the cut without any muscle. Was just skinny-fat after being sick for a year, so I didn't exactly look shredded after the cut, but not bad either.

So I'm starting a slow bulk right now, and on a more interesting note, my workout is going to entirely comprise of bodyweight exercises. The common misconception is that you can't achieve a great body with just bodyweight exercises, but that's only if you never advance past the basic moves (pull-ups, push-ups, squats, etc).

You have to progress gradually to more and more advanced moves and by the time you can do things like handstand push-ups, planche push-push ups, pistol squats, front levers, etc, then you'll have a very good body. And that's when I might add weight, but just getting to that point will take a lot of hard work.

It's not IDEAL for bodybuilding, but due to my funky lower back, I think this is the healthiest and most sustainable training approach for me. And that is 100X more important than doing another lifting routine that hurts my back after two months and puts me out of commission for another year. Bodyweight training will also improve my mobility and flexibility, which can make certain lifting movements easier in the future if I decide to try that again.

So this is my routine to start off:

Day A:

Pull-ups (Pyramid X 1)
    Lunges (Pyramid X 1)
    Inverted rows (Pyramid X 1)
    Hanging leg raises (Pyramid X 1)
    Chin-ups (Pyramid X 1)

Day B:

Push-ups (Pyramid X 1)
    Bulgarian split squats (Pyramid X 1)
    Pike press (Pyramid X 1)
    Calf raises (Pyramid X 1)
    Bench dips (Pyramid X 1)

A pyramid means you do this (say you're doing a pyramid to 5):

1 rep
    pause for a couple seconds
    2 reps
    3 reps
    4 reps
    5 reps
    30-60 second rest
    4 reps
    3 reps
    2 reps
    1 rep

This is usually recommended for beginners in order to increase your rep amount to decent levels. Then once that's achieved is when you can do typical hypertrophy ranges (i.e. 4 sets of 12 reps).

S: [A]
    M: off
    T: off
    W: [B]
    Th: off
    F: [A]
    S: off
    etc....

So that's three days a week, but I might change it to four days a week, since you can recover faster with bodyweight workouts (less stress on the joints).

As for my diet, I'm still doing LeanGains, which means Intermittent Fasting + Counting Macros + Carb Cycling.

Current macros are as follows....

Training Day:

Carbs: 250g
    Fat: 60g
    Protein: 190g

Rest Day:

Carbs: 50g
    Fat: 90g
    Protein: 190g

The calorie level is at about maintenance, or slightly above. Since I'm slow-bulking, I'm increasing calories gradually from my cut. So I'll probably increase the calories again in a week depending on how much weight gain.

Any thoughts?!?
    Last edited by Ixion; 09-27-2013 at 16:57.

Administrator
    @ Ixion:: I've never been much of a long-distance runner either... it's just one of those accomplishments I'd love to scratch off my bucket list. :]

@ x6:: That's great, dude. Hard work payin' off.

11. Likes TheBreezyBB likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I miss working out!!

I didn't practice for a little bit over a month now and most of my definition is fading away slowly, but surely! I'll try to get back this month or maybe next month.

Apprentice
    Had about 6 beers last night (Coors Light ) I normally do a 6k run on a Sunday, a few rounds on the heavy bag and 15 laps of the pool. I'm only going for the pool and steam today though, but just can't get motivated to get up

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Back to the running finally, did a 5K every day from last Monday 'til now, Sunday's my day off, partially because I'm hungover. :3 Tomorrow I'll start getting back to incorporating the bag, floor work and weights again. All about getting back into a rhythm.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Apprentice
    Yeah it's good to get back into it. I'm 9 weeks in, 20lbs lighter and feeling on top of my game!

Also I found motivation to get up and that today. Tidied my room up (polish and hoovered) and done 20 laps in the pool with the hydrotherapy pool and steam room

Apprentice

Question for our European friends who use games for fitness:

I'm considering buying Just Dance 2014 for my family, comes out tomorrow. We liked the 2 or 3 other JD titles we've played. JD 2014 has been out in Europe sonce last week, has anyone tried it and if so was it good compared to the other games in the series?

Apprentice

Well, since there were no replies yet and I did end up grabbing it I'll say this: so far after we played it for about 2 hours last night. so far so good. It's fun and plays well ike the others. The song list isn't as good as we'd like but it's not bad at all. The others did have a stronger track list initially though but they will undoubtedly release more tracks soon enough. Overall we like it.

Apprentice
    Gaming and fitness, I would've recommended EA Sports Active 2. Think it's very fun and the workouts definitely work up a sweat!

Well im down from 209lbs to 187lbs in 9 weeks! I am aiming for 170-175. I'm 5"11

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anderlation View Post
    Gaming and fitness, I would've recommended EA Sports Active 2. Think it's very fun and the workouts definitely work up a sweat!

Well im down from 209lbs to 187lbs in 9 weeks! I am aiming for 170-175. I'm 5"11
    Yeah, one of my mate's used it, it was decent alright. Cheap now, too!

Fair play, buddy. Keep at it, not far now!

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Hey guys [in the know]. Quick question here about nutrition.

What is generally the better fish to eat? Cod or Salmon?

I've just been looking as cod and salmon fillets on a grocery site as I'm really looking to give building some muscle a real go, and what I looked at, salmon apparently had more protein than cod.

Anyone able to shed any light on this matter, or even offer any advice as to what I should be looking to eat?

I'll say right now that I don't think I'll be able to eat like 6 or 7 meals a day, due to time restrictions and money... Shiz is expensive!

Thanks.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Molo316 View Post

I've just been looking as cod and salmon fillets on a grocery site as I'm really looking to give building some muscle a real go, and what I looked at, salmon apparently had more protein than cod.

Anyone able to shed any light on this matter, or even offer any advice as to what I should be looking to eat?

I'll say right now that I don't think I'll be able to eat like 6 or 7 meals a day, due to time restrictions and money... Shiz is expensive!

Thanks.
    Sorry cant help because i cant stand fish at all so its not in my diet. I just eat chicken or lean beef for meats. I get the rest of my protein from nuts, bars, shakes.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Still same story for me. Bulking and working out. I have pretty nice forms and very nice arms vascularity however I lack in mass so i am working on that. Keeping my six pack in form while significantly trying to gain weight and working on my chest as well. Legs is where I lack the most and started concentrating on them more. Other than that not much to say really. Gonna keep working out 4 times a week until school starts again and then switch to 3 times.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave

Thanks.
    From my, not particularly knowledgeable, standpoint, salmon's probably the best out of those two. Having said that, I had a three month period of trying to gain a little mass and muscle and my diet revolved around low carb, high fat/protein foods, (coupled with protein shakes - perhaps overboard). Boiled chicken, lean meats, different types of nuts, are all good aspects of a diet for building a bit of a muscle. Do a little cardio in-between to offset the amount of fat you'll be taking in. A medium jog every other day is what I did.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
    From my, not particularly knowledgeable, standpoint, salmon's probably the best out of those two. Having said that, I had a three month period of trying to gain a little mass and muscle and my diet revolved around low carb, high fat/protein foods, (coupled with protein shakes - perhaps overboard). Boiled chicken, lean meats, different types of nuts, are all good aspects of a diet for building a bit of a muscle. Do a little cardio in-between to offset the amount of fat you'll be taking in. A medium jog every other day is what I did.
    Okay, that's awesome, because I bloody love salmon right now!

Right. I play to have fish and chicken, with some rice and vegetables, and also have a protein shake pretty much straight after a workout. If I get peckish I'll be eating some fruit and nuts. Does that sound pretty reasonable?

I intend to throw in some time on the treadmill and bikes every so often too. Will probably look to jog in my local park rather than use a treadmill, so that I can easily go into a sprint if I want to.

Thanks for your response, by the way.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Okay, that's awesome, because I bloody love salmon right now!

Right. I play to have fish and chicken, with some rice and vegetables, and also have a protein shake pretty much straight after a workout. If I get peckish I'll be eating some fruit and nuts. Does that sound pretty reasonable?

I intend to throw in some time on the treadmill and bikes every so often too. Will probably look to jog in my local park rather than use a treadmill, so that I can easily go into a sprint if I want to.

Thanks for your response, by the way.
    Anytime! Make sure it's brown rice, the difference can be a bit substantial; egg whites are a great low-cal, low-carb source of protein, too; usually start my day with four of those and a bit of low fat yogurt, but each to their own. It's about finding out what works and getting into a rhythm.

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
    Anytime! Make sure it's brown rice, the difference can be a bit substantial; egg whites are a great low-cal, low-carb source of protein, too; usually start my day with four of those and a bit of low fat yogurt, but each to their own. It's about finding out what works and getting into a rhythm.
    Yeah. Have read about the brown rice quite often. I will check that out when I go shopping this evening.

Egg-whites. What's the best way to prep these? Cooking and so on I mean. This is all pretty new to me.

Thanks.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    I just hard boil the egg and deshell it and separate the white from the yolk, and eat it like that. It's not the best way nor the nicest by a long stretch.

Here's a few suggestions: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4973183&page=1
    Last edited by Shockwave; 10-11-2013 at 12:39.

Thread Information